PDA

View Full Version : Ruling on Serena's US Open Tirade Expected In The Next Two Weeks

Bijoux0021
Nov 6th, 2009, 05:17 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2009/11/06/sports/AP-TEN-USTA-SWilliams.html?_r=1

Ruling on Serena's US Open Tirade Expected Soon

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: November 6, 2009
Filed at 10:33 a.m. ET

REGGIO CALABRIA, Italy (AP) -- A ruling on Serena Williams' U.S. Open tirade is expected in the next two weeks.

''It's in the hands of the Grand Slam administrator, who I believe has now completed his investigation and will be making a ruling within the next two weeks,'' United States Tennis Association President Lucy Garvin told The Associated Press on Friday. ''That's what we have been told -- that Serena would hear, we would hear.''

The Grand Slam administrator is Bill Babcock.

Williams was fined $10,000 after her profanity-laced outburst at a lineswoman during her semifinal loss to Kim Clijsters in September, and she could face a more severe penalty in the coming weeks.

''We really have not gone down that path of making a judgment as to what would be right or wrong at this point,'' Garvin said. ''She was defaulted out of the singles and she has apologized sincerely. So we'll just have to see what the Grand Slam administrator comes to the Grand Slam committee chairs with. I think Serena is very anxious to hear.''

Speaking before the Fed Cup final between the United States and Italy that starts Saturday, Garvin said she has discussed Andre Agassi's recent drug revelations with some board members, but that ''nothing official'' has been decided.

''It definitely was surprising to all of us,'' Garvin said. ''Andre is a very open individual now -- he's older, he's matured, he's been a wonderful ambassador the sport. I'm not sure of his reasoning as to why he felt he wanted to disclose that, but that's his personal business and he chose to do it.''

In his book ''Open,'' which goes on sale Monday, the eight-time Grand Slam champion said he used crystal meth in 1997 and failed a drug test -- a result he says was thrown out after he lied by saying he unwittingly took the substance.

''Back in that time we didn't have the anti-doping set up like the ITF has it setup now,'' Garvin said.

Serena and Venus Williams opted not to play the Fed Cup final after meeting in the championship match of the season-ending WTA Tour championships last weekend. Garvin suggested the schedule is too tough on the top players.

''It is (upsetting), and this is something that has happened in Davis Cup also,'' she said. ''After Wimbledon we played a Davis Cup match and Andy (Roddick) was not able to play. But we have to understand that. The schedules are very taxing. At all times we should be looking at the schedule and seeing if we can improve it, and talking with the ITF as to what could be done to make it easier for the players.''

Without the Williams sisters, 18-year-old Melanie Oudin -- the surprise U.S. Open quarterfinalist -- is the top singles player for the Americans this weekend.

Oudin was asked about Williams' outburst.

''I'm a player as well and when you're on the court playing, emotions are going crazy and anything can happen,'' Oudin said. ''I have no idea how she was feeling that day, but I heard she apologized and I think that was definitely the right thing to do.''

Craig.
Nov 6th, 2009, 05:38 PM
So much fuss over nothing. Nothing should happpen and nothing will happen.

Jorn
Nov 6th, 2009, 06:01 PM
One said she may lose 1000 Ranking points, but I don't think so.....

simonsaystennis
Nov 6th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Oudin was asked about Williams' outburst.

''I'm a player as well and when you're on the court playing, emotions are going crazy and anything can happen,'' Oudin said. ''I have no idea how she was feeling that day, but I heard she apologized and I think that was definitely the right thing to do.''

:worship: Great response.

I really hope Serena doesn't get banned... honestly I don't think she will. It would be a disservice to women's tennis honestly. To miss out on starting the year with a Grand Slam that has a healthy Sharapova, a recharged and recommitted Clijsters and Henin, Serena, and Venus plus consistent contenders Jankovic, Dementieva, Ivanovic (? :tape:), and new kids on the block Wozniacki and Azarenka would be just a shame.

-VSR-
Nov 6th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Another reason why I love Oudin! :hearts:

hdfb
Nov 6th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Garvin said. ''She was defaulted out of the singles and she has apologized sincerely.

Lucy Garvin. Get your facts right. :help:

twight6
Nov 6th, 2009, 09:34 PM
So much fuss over nothing. Nothing should happpen and nothing will happen.

Over nothing?

Sorry, but you don't threaten someone's life and call that "nothing."

Yes, their "deliberating" over this is a little excessive, but when someone says/does something as terrible and drastic as what Serena did, it would be utterly ridiculous if they didn't look into punishing her further. I'm not saying she should get punished further, but it's definitely something you make an effort at looking into or deliberating-- not necessarily because something should be done, but at least to save face.

FaceyFacem
Nov 6th, 2009, 09:37 PM
fine and no suspension, the suspension should've been for the doubles...

end of story, hope this will end soon

Matt01
Nov 6th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Hopefully she will get an appropriate punishment :bounce:

frenchie
Nov 6th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Rodionova, Azarenka, Poutchek...are worse in ALL their matches and they aren't punished!

In The Zone
Nov 6th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Serena should be fined in the amount of her USO Singles prize money.

And, it needs to be noted, Serena was NOT defaulted. That makes a big difference, especially when contemplating appropriate punishment.

twight6
Nov 6th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Rodionova, Azarenka, Poutchek...are worse in ALL their matches and they aren't punished!

Unless they have physically injured a judge on person, no way are they worse than this incident.

Granted, they may be worse overall, but none of their single acts are anywhere near this one.

LightWarrior
Nov 6th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Over nothing?

Sorry, but you don't threaten someone's life and call that "nothing."

Yes, their "deliberating" over this is a little excessive, but when someone says/does something as terrible and drastic as what Serena did, it would be utterly ridiculous if they didn't look into punishing her further. I'm not saying she should get punished further, but it's definitely something you make an effort at looking into or deliberating-- not necessarily because something should be done, but at least to save face.

In the meantime Wickmayer got suspended, the Agassi issue eruputed. And war continues in Afghanistan. The Serena outburst is a non-issue.

markdelaney
Nov 7th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Serena should be fined in the amount of her USO Singles prize money.

And, it needs to be noted, Serena was NOT defaulted. That makes a big difference, especially when contemplating appropriate punishment.

exactly. Serena was NOT defaulted.

twight6
Nov 7th, 2009, 12:54 AM
In the meantime Wickmayer got suspended, the Agassi issue eruputed. And war continues in Afghanistan. The Serena outburst is a non-issue.

:rolleyes:

Olórin
Nov 7th, 2009, 01:04 AM
:rolleyes:

Roll your eyes all you want when you've run out of your whiney blabber. However, he is right. Serena's outburst has been contextualised into what it is: a non-issue. One outburst that lasted 10 seconds, woopie do. Shouldn't have happened, she apologised - any further action will be minimal.

twight6
Nov 7th, 2009, 01:21 AM
Roll your eyes all you want when you've run out of your whiney blabber. However, he is right. Serena's outburst has been contextualised into what it is: a non-issue. One outburst that lasted 10 seconds, woopie do. Shouldn't have happened, she apologised - any further action will be minimal.

It's not "woopie do" when you threaten someone's life. There's a reason why words like that have NEVER been heard on a tennis court before.

I was rolling my eyes because that was a stupid argument he came back with. The USTA does not need to be worried about something Agassi did years ago-- that's his problem now-- or what's happened around the world. Their job is to handle United States tennis issues, and in that regard, Serena's actions are far from a "non-issue."

I agree with you that it should not have happened and that it has been apologized for, and I also agree that further action/punishment would not only be minimal but also pointless-- it has been way too long for anything to be done about it now. I'm not even saying anything should've been done at the time!!

What I am saying is, what she did was a big deal. And whether they had address it now or addressed it 2 months ago, it needs to be addressed.

pav
Nov 7th, 2009, 01:24 AM
Yes they should just ignore the silly bitch, she is like a naughty, hyperactive child, good attention, bad attention, doesn't matter ,all brings them into focus.
I was writing about Serena, not any poster.

Kworb
Nov 7th, 2009, 01:44 AM
As punishment she should do community service like Chris Brown. I want to see paparazzi pics of Serena cleaning up trash from the street. :drool:

Shaboinka84
Nov 7th, 2009, 03:17 AM
I'm a big time Williams fan and a good punishment for her is to make her play Indian Wells 2010

Julian
Nov 7th, 2009, 04:04 AM
I think a ban would be too extreme, but a fine of some sort but would be an approrpriate punishment for Serena's behavior.

Just because you are Serena Williams doesnt mean you can get away with this, not only are you a professional athlete, but also a role model for many young girls aspiring to become tennis players, this is something that should not be tolerated just because you can be "angry."

I mean can you imagine that lineswoman Serena was threatening would have been your own mother?? And yes I pulled out that card lol

So like I said, this is an issue that should be moved on with just a simple punishment, nothing too extreme but of course should not be unnoticed and passed on.

Bijoux0021
Nov 7th, 2009, 04:32 AM
As punishment she should do community service like Chris Brown. I want to see paparazzi pics of Serena cleaning up trash from the street. :drool:
I agree. I would love to see her cleaning up trash like you from the street.

Roookie
Nov 7th, 2009, 04:36 AM
$$$$erena will not be banned, maybe a big fined but that's gonna be it IMO.

Volcana
Nov 7th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Over nothing?

Sorry, but you don't threaten someone's life and call that "nothing." It has not yet been established that Serena actually threatened anyone's life. I should think, with all the technology at their disposal, they may be able to determine what Serena actually said pretty quickly. After that, it's just a matter of the difference between

"I ought to shove this racket down your throat"
"You're lucky I don't shove this racket down your throat"
and
"I'm going to don't shove this racket down your throat"

Only one of those being an actual threat. But I've heard the audio from a couple different angles, and I'm still not sure what she actually said, word-for-word.

And no, I don't take the word of various reporters about they have decided they heard. There are many irresponsible journalists who report things without actually checking their facts. Fo example, if you check reporting on the recent mass-murder at Ft Hood, you'll notice that the media got their facts wrongs for quite a while. First it was three attackers, then only one, first the attacker was dead, then he was alive, seven dead, thirteen dead....

What I don't get is why it's taking so LONG.

Volcana
Nov 7th, 2009, 12:42 PM

In the meantime Wickmayer got suspended, the Agassi issue eruputed. And war continues in Afghanistan. The Serena outburst is a non-issue.Toss in Federer cursing during his US Open final match. The longer this takes, the more trivial what Serena did looks. Hmm perhaps not 'tivial', but it sure contexturalizes it. Wickmayer got suspended a year for cheating. SO now you have to decide if losing your temper in a match is as bad as cheating. Federer curses, so now you have to decide what the penalty is for cursing, raising your voice, yelling directly at a linesperson?

As bad as it looked you still can only penalize what actually happened, and you need a penalty that you're willing to apply to everyone else.

madmax
Nov 7th, 2009, 01:22 PM
I think she should be subtracted 2000 ranking points, which equal one slam win and should lose Nr.1 ranking in process as well...ban may an extreme measure, points taken off seems about the right one to me.

toby345
Nov 7th, 2009, 01:26 PM
I think she should be subtracted 2000 ranking points, which equal one slam win and should lose Nr.1 ranking in process as well...ban may an extreme measure, points taken off seems about the right one to me.

2000 points would be okay if she had won the tournament, but the incident took place "just" in the semis..

BlameSerena
Nov 7th, 2009, 01:28 PM
I'm a big time Williams fan and a good punishment for her is to make her play Indian Wells 2010

I'd bet my life that she wouldn't do it.

Anyway, I guess I should be all excited that in TWO WEEKS a decision will finally be made. :rolleyes:

The ITF is so damn dramatic.

And Serena does not deserve to be strung along like this.

Tennisstar86
Nov 7th, 2009, 02:18 PM
One said she may lose 1000 Ranking points, but I don't think so.....

is that even possible? anyways i figured theyd wait till after the season to make this decision....while noone is really paying attention...

ce
Nov 7th, 2009, 02:20 PM
if she hets punished hard,Wta is gonna be on trouble :tape:

gentenaire
Nov 7th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Toss in Federer cursing during his US Open final match. The longer this takes, the more trivial what Serena did looks. Hmm perhaps not 'tivial', but it sure contexturalizes it. Wickmayer got suspended a year for cheating. SO now you have to decide if losing your temper in a match is as bad as cheating. Federer curses, so now you have to decide what the penalty is for cursing, raising your voice, yelling directly at a linesperson?

As bad as it looked you still can only penalize what actually happened, and you need a penalty that you're willing to apply to everyone else.

A) Wickmayer DID NOT CHEAT!! Ugh! This is one of the reasons why I'm so upset at the whole ruling, her name is tainted even though she DID NOT CHEAT! She didn't even attempt to cheat. She got banned for a purely administrative mistake, she got banned because of an overzealous judge who wants to set an example. The times where she failed to fill in her whereabouts, she was playing official WTA tournaments, she wasn't trying to hide from doping controls.

B) what Serena was far worse than what Wickmayer did, but as with Wicky, a perfectly understandable thing. If it was the Flemish tribunal, Serena would probably get a two year ban or something. Fortunately for her, it isn't. I think Serena's been punished enough already, she apologised, that should be the end of the story.

twight6
Nov 7th, 2009, 04:05 PM
It has not yet been established that Serena actually threatened anyone's life. I should think, with all the technology at their disposal, they may be able to determine what Serena actually said pretty quickly. After that, it's just a matter of the difference between

"I ought to shove this racket down your throat"
"You're lucky I don't shove this racket down your throat"
and
"I'm going to don't shove this racket down your throat"

Only one of those being an actual threat. But I've heard the audio from a couple different angles, and I'm still not sure what she actually said, word-for-word.

And no, I don't take the word of various reporters about they have decided they heard. There are many irresponsible journalists who report things without actually checking their facts. Fo example, if you check reporting on the recent mass-murder at Ft Hood, you'll notice that the media got their facts wrongs for quite a while. First it was three attackers, then only one, first the attacker was dead, then he was alive, seven dead, thirteen dead....

What I don't get is why it's taking so LONG.

She said "fucking," don't forget, and to say "fucking" anything directly to a linesperson is serious, especially when the words "shove this fucking ball down your throat" were definitely said.

Regardless, though, I see what you're saying. And, it is taking way too long. Although I don't want anymore punishment, it would seem very stupid if-- after all this time-- they didn't punish her further, it seems pointless for them to continue deliberating otherwise.

Marcell
Nov 7th, 2009, 04:35 PM
ITF president says ban unlikely for Williams

REGGIO CALABRIA, Italy – The president of the International Tennis Federation thinks Serena Williams will receive a fine but not be suspended for her U.S. Open tirade.

In an interview with The Associated Press on Saturday, Francesco Ricci Bitti said a fine would "make much more sense."

Grand Slam administrator Bill Babcock is expected to give his recommendation to the Grand Slam committee, which will likely announce the sanction Monday or Tuesday.

The Grand Slam committee is composed of Ricci Bitti and the four Grand Slam presidents. Ricci Bitti suggested it would be counter productive for the committee to ban the top-ranked player from for the Australian Open.

Steff_forever
Nov 7th, 2009, 04:48 PM
ITF president says ban unlikely for Williams

REGGIO CALABRIA, Italy – The president of the International Tennis Federation thinks Serena Williams will receive a fine but not be suspended for her U.S. Open tirade.

In an interview with The Associated Press on Saturday, Francesco Ricci Bitti said a fine would "make much more sense."

Grand Slam administrator Bill Babcock is expected to give his recommendation to the Grand Slam committee, which will likely announce the sanction Monday or Tuesday.

The Grand Slam committee is composed of Ricci Bitti and the four Grand Slam presidents. Ricci Bitti suggested it would be counter productive for the committee to ban the top-ranked player from for the Australian Open.
conducted sissies of the ITF brought into line :fiery:

a ban as def champ /AO10 should have been the right message towards her intimidating outburst against an ITF official

Roookie
Nov 7th, 2009, 04:52 PM

a ban as def champ /AO10 should have been the right message towards her intimidating outburst against an ITF official

No!!..don't ban Serena I want to see her ass getting beaten in AO. :lol:

Steff_forever
Nov 7th, 2009, 05:46 PM
maybe in a tight SF with Juju :kiss:

timafi
Nov 7th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Bitti you fucking maggot:mad:

VishaalMaria
Nov 7th, 2009, 06:29 PM

Don't you mean a ban at the AO 2010 would be greatly beneficial to your favourite tennis players? So transparent.

Of course you'd need Serena out of the picture at her most dominant slam for anyones chances to heighten considerably.

VishaalMaria
Nov 7th, 2009, 06:31 PM

You mean like Jelena Jankovic who always gets bounced out of the slams for her to have ever won a singles one?

;)

RVD
Nov 7th, 2009, 08:43 PM
I'd bet my life that she wouldn't do it.

Anyway, I guess I should be all excited that in TWO WEEKS a decision will finally be made. :rolleyes:

The ITF is so damn dramatic.

And Serena does not deserve to be strung along like this.You are so right on both counts BlameSerena.

Incidentally, this is the latest article I could find on the incident:http://msn.foxsports.com/tennis/story/10334402/ITF-president-says-ban-unlikely-for-Serena
ITF president says ban unlikely for Serena

Associated Press

REGGIO CALABRIA, Italy (AP) - Top-ranked Serena Williams will receive a hefty monetary fine but will not be suspended for her U.S. Open tirade, the president of the International Tennis Federation believes.

Grand Slam administrator Bill Babcock is due to hand his recommendation to the Grand Slam committee, which will likely announce the sanction Monday or Tuesday.

"I don't think (an Australian Open ban) would make much sense, because it would penalize the people handing out the punishment," Francesco Ricci Bitti told The Associated Press on Saturday. "For the Grand Slam committee to exclude her from a Grand Slam doesn't seem likely."

The Grand Slam committee is composed of Ricci Bitti and the four Grand Slam presidents.

Williams was fined $10,000 after her profanity-laced, finger-pointing outburst at a lineswoman during her semifinal loss to Kim Clijsters in September. An eventual fine from the ITF could be much greater.

"A significant financial penalty makes much more sense. But it has to be significant enough for the fans (to appreciate) it," Ricci Bitti said. "Of course it may not be significant for Serena Williams, who earns tens of millions."

Ricci Bitti spoke at the Fed Cup final between the United States in Italy, which Williams and her sister Venus skipped.

The ITF president is also involved in a request by the World Anti-Doping Agency to investigate Andre Agassi's recent admission that he took crystal meth in 1997.

Agassi wrote in his soon-to-be-released autobiography "Open" that he ingested the drug and then lied to the ATP to avoid a suspension after failing a doping test.

Ricci Bitti is also a member of WADA's executive committee.

"The WADA code is our reference point and in every doping case the rules are quite clear. There is an eight-year period for sanctions to apply," Ricci Bitti said. "In terms of the regulations, there is nothing that can be done because we're past the eight-year period. It's more upsetting than anything else - for our sport and for the players."

Still, Ricci Bitti noted that the ATP should have a dossier on the case.

"We'll see what happens," he said.

In another drug-related case, the ITF confirmed a one-year suspension for Belgian tennis players Yanina Wickmayer and Xavier Malisse on Saturday. The duo was suspended by a Belgian tribunal this week for failing to report their whereabouts to anti-doping officials three times during 2009.

"This reminds me of the cases of Italian players involved in betting a little while ago," Ricci Bitti said. "These players need to be aware of their responsibilities. If they don't know, this is the result.

"These cases create discussion because they're not reliant on positive tests, but there are rules to respect," Ricci Bitti added. "We're awaiting the details from the Belgian federation. These kids need to wake up. They're professionals and they earn a lot of money. They don't need to merely know the rules, they should also respect them."So Serena won't be banned, which is great news.
They couldn't ban her anyway though.
Still, to fine her a second time is complete :bs:
And what’s even more unfair to Serena and her fans is that we were subjected to an exceedingly lengthy deliberation. They could easily have ruled in less than a week following the incident.
WTH were they waiting for?
Probably waited to gauge the public’s temperature on the matter or whether Serena would end her season with a bang (as she did) or not before ruling.
Bunch of COWARDS!

LightWarrior
Nov 7th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Great news indeed, but expected.

youizahoe
Nov 7th, 2009, 09:42 PM
It's gonna be a 250k ban. Don't be suprised when the news hits, I've been telling it for weeks now. :bigwave:

Caillou
Nov 7th, 2009, 09:46 PM

That's nice of you. Although, I'm sure you will be eating your words when January rolls around. More so if serena/jelena happen to meet.

Most of us expected this decision so not too surprising. But they are further fining her? Geez

lizchris
Nov 7th, 2009, 11:11 PM
It's gonna be a 250k ban. Don't be suprised when the news hits, I've been telling it for weeks now. :bigwave:

If so, that's like $250.00 to Serena and $250,000 too much IMO.

Matt01
Nov 7th, 2009, 11:27 PM
So Serena won't be banned, which is great news.

Can you please tell me where in the article you did read that? :lol:

Markus
Nov 7th, 2009, 11:28 PM
It's not "woopie do" when you threaten someone's life.
That is so ridiculous. You don't seriously believe Serena is going to kill that bitch? Having an outburst like that is happening and so what?? Serena was outplayed by Kim and was pissed off big time. This little gnome should have keep her mouth shut and we wouldn't have this embarrassing issue. This political correctness these days is just annoying.

Matt01
Nov 7th, 2009, 11:41 PM
That is so ridiculous. You don't seriously believe Serena is going to kill that bitch? Having an outburst like that is happening and so what?? Serena was outplayed by Kim and was pissed off big time. This little gnome should have keep her mouth shut and we wouldn't have this embarrassing issue. This political correctness these days is just annoying.

Simply pathetic. You're twisting the facts so that it looks like the linswomen, who only did her job, was in some way responsible for Serena's aggressive outburst :rolleyes: And it doesn't matter if anyone believed that Serena would have killed the lineswoman. She threatened her and that was bad enough.

Paneru
Nov 7th, 2009, 11:47 PM
Serena will not be banned/suspended because it would set a dicey precedent for the fact that verbal abuse towards ump's and lines people did not start with Serena nor will it end with Serena. And if you try and ban someone whenever they get into in the moment of heated conversation with these guys, their is gonna be more drama. How much is too much, how do you judge, who gets what, and all that jazz.

All you'll see are fines, which Serena has already gotten. And IMO, have to do WTA community service, i.e. extra WTA promotional work.

Also, anyone IMO who honestly thinks Serena was not just talking out of her anger in the heat of the moment and thinks she actually meant it I think need to check their bias at the door and be honest. Not saying it is okay, but that woman's life was no more in danger from Serena than anyone a world away at that moment.

Markus
Nov 7th, 2009, 11:49 PM
And it doesn't matter if anyone believed that Serena would have killed the lineswoman. She threatened her and that was bad enough.
That's the difference. Everybody with common sense will know that it was an outburst and nobody will seriously think that Serena will order some snipers to kill that woman. Deal with it, competition is tough and outburst happens. I don't understand the hype about that stuff. 20 years ago nobody would have mentioned it. But now we are having political correctness.

LightWarrior
Nov 8th, 2009, 12:14 AM
Serena will not be banned/suspended because it would set a dicey precedent for the fact that verbal abuse towards ump's and lines people did not start with Serena nor will it end with Serena.

Exactly. What about Sharapova's "Are you fucking kidding me" line to the umpire at the OA a few years ago...

serenafan08
Nov 8th, 2009, 12:21 AM
:lol: And the beat goes on. This will still be a topic next year - I can already tell.

RVD
Nov 8th, 2009, 01:14 AM
:lol: And the beat goes on. This will still be a topic next year - I can already tell.:lol: :lol: Tennis only matters, and people only pay attention, when Serena's on court. :haha: :worship:
That's our DRAMARENA. :)

twight6
Nov 8th, 2009, 02:40 AM
That's the difference. Everybody with common sense will know that it was an outburst and nobody will seriously think that Serena will order some snipers to kill that woman. Deal with it, competition is tough and outburst happens. I don't understand the hype about that stuff. 20 years ago nobody would have mentioned it. But now we are having political correctness.

You are insultingly ignorant to believe that this would not have been "mentioned" no matter when it was said. No matter how fired up or in the moment or competitive you are, you don't say "I (will/would/whatever) shove this ball down your fucking throat." It doesn't matter if anyone believed it or not, it's just the fact that she said it.

I obviously do not hold it against Serena for what she did- she apologized, people can get crazy in intense situations- however she DID do it, and there's no excuse for it, and she must face the consequences for it.

Caillou
Nov 8th, 2009, 05:06 AM
Can you please tell me where in the article you did read that? :lol:

Can you please tell me why anything would indicate otherwise?

gentenaire
Nov 8th, 2009, 08:09 AM
Also, anyone IMO who honestly thinks Serena was not just talking out of her anger in the heat of the moment and thinks she actually meant it I think need to check their bias at the door and be honest. Not saying it is okay, but that woman's life was no more in danger from Serena than anyone a world away at that moment.

Spot on!

Markus
Nov 8th, 2009, 08:25 AM
You are insultingly ignorant to believe that this would not have been "mentioned" no matter when it was said. No matter how fired up or in the moment or competitive you are, you don't say "I (will/would/whatever) shove this ball down your fucking throat." It doesn't matter if anyone believed it or not, it's just the fact that she said it.

I obviously do not hold it against Serena for what she did- she apologized, people can get crazy in intense situations- however she DID do it, and there's no excuse for it, and she must face the consequences for it.
I disagree. I think it is pretty annoying that Serena apologized in that way. We are all human beings and there are always situations where we are acting insane. And I like that, because it makes us authentic. Nobody can take that quote from Serena seriously if he or she is not a pantywaist. The umpire decided to give the penalty and that is fine. Anything above this is just ridiculous.

Arnian
Nov 8th, 2009, 08:52 AM
This topic has been argued to death, the Serena haters need to let it go

Steff_forever
Nov 8th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Don't you mean a ban at the AO 2010 would be greatly beneficial to your favourite tennis players? So transparent.

Of course you'd need Serena out of the picture at her most dominant slam for anyones chances to heighten considerably.
that's what plain old non-thinkers do when they want to swerve the real issue.

I don't care if Serena beats Dani or JJ 6-0 6-0 at the AO or somewhere else. I stay with my faves.

OK, if you like she can take the trophy at RG next yr. She just has to learn how to behave on court.

Matt01
Nov 8th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Can you please tell me why anything would indicate otherwise?

Can you please answer my question first?

This topic has been argued to death, the Serena haters need to let it go

Amd her deluded fans should do so, too.

The Witch-king
Nov 8th, 2009, 10:48 AM
that's what plain old non-thinkers do when they want to swerve the real issue.

I don't care if Serena beats Dani or JJ 6-0 6-0 at the AO or somewhere else. I stay with my faves.

OK, if you like she can take the trophy at RG next yr. She just has to learn how to behave on court.

you need to learn to behave in LIFE but aint nobody tryin to ban you from your job.