PDA

View Full Version : Bye Bye Tennis (?)

Chrissie-fan
Nov 6th, 2009, 04:48 PM
I've been a lifelong tennis fan, and as you may guess from my user name and by the picture of the lady in my avatar that means a pretty long time (ok, I'm an old fart :rolleyes:). Lately though I'm beginning to question my judgement and I wonder whether I wouldn't be better of without it. The goings on in recent years (and especially in recent months) only have left me disillusioned in the game. First of all there was the coke suspension of one of my big faves - Martina Hingis. I don't believe she was guilty to begin with, but even if she was it wouldn't have mattered to me. Cocaine is not a performance enhancing drug so it's nobody's business. Then in September there was the "Serena incident." I'm not a Serena fan and it was wrong what she did - no doubt about it, but it is blown way out of proportion. She was pissed of for 10 seconds - big deal, get over it, it's not like she comitted murder. Then we had the Wozniacki thing. Even IF it was wrong what she did, she clearly meant no harm. At the worst it was a misguided act of kindness. Yet many a poster here talks about her as though she did the worst thing ever. And now - the most ridiculous situation of all: Yanina Wickmayer is suspended for one year over absolutely nothing. I can't express how sorry I feel for that girl. I must confess I've had it up to here with all that hypocritical crap that demands that players should be perfect - saints without any human emotion. Never allowed to make even a little mistake without running the risk of being put on the stake to burn. I would like to shout to those responsible for this mess: "You are nothing but a bunch of lowlife cowards!"

If they don't reconsider suspending Yanina and/or if they give a punishment to Wozniacki and/or Serena that is over the top I seriously consider giving up on being a follower of the game, and it's the first time in the 35 or so years that I have been a fan of the sport that I would ever have considered saying anything like that. I have no time for a sport where every wimp in a suit with an axe to grind can ruin the careers of the athletes I admire. Fuck 'em!

BuTtErFrEnA
Nov 6th, 2009, 04:51 PM
wow....great rant!

Julian.
Nov 6th, 2009, 04:52 PM
:worship:

Libertango
Nov 6th, 2009, 04:53 PM
I actually SO agree with you!

Otlichno
Nov 6th, 2009, 04:55 PM
:worship:

This

sammy01
Nov 6th, 2009, 05:04 PM
you are a little confusing in your reasonings? are you pissed at this board for overreacting or the tennis authorities?

cus right now drama is the only thing keeping the WTA going, as 95% of the rest of it is errors, crap tennis, ugly matches and downright sad chokes.

Cam'ron Giles
Nov 6th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Anna Chakvetadze rules! :worship:

:tape: :help:

Corswandt
Nov 6th, 2009, 05:13 PM
If they don't reconsider suspending Yanina and/or if they give a punishment to Wozniacki and/or Serena that is over the top I seriously consider giving up on being a follower of the game, and it's the first time in the 35 or so years that I have been a fan of the sport that I would ever have considered saying anything like that. I have no time for a sport where every wimp in a suit with an axe to grind can ruin the careers of the athletes I admire. Fuck 'em!

I bet you got the Flemish Doping Tribunal judges trembling in their tasselled loafers now.

sammy01
Nov 6th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Anna Chakvetadze rules! :worship:

:tape: :help:

shes the best at sucking big time!!!!!!!!!!!

Craig.
Nov 6th, 2009, 05:27 PM
What Wozniacki thing?

Julian.
Nov 6th, 2009, 05:38 PM
What Wozniacki thing?

Retired when leading 7-5, 5-0.

Craig.
Nov 6th, 2009, 05:39 PM

And why is that so bad? ... Or am I missing something? :lol:

Vlover
Nov 6th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Personally I think the sport needs its strongest supporters especially the more reasonable ones to speak out more especially when things get tough.

Chrissie-fan
Nov 6th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Personally I think the sport needs its strongest supporters especially the more reasonable ones to speak out more especially when things get tough.
I think the players themselves should speak out when something unfair happens to one of their colleagues.

Julian.
Nov 6th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Match fixing investigation.

youizahoe
Nov 6th, 2009, 06:03 PM
I agree with your post, but quitting tennis, I couldn't, and you shouldn't either. Giving something up that you like, should come because you want to, not because you believe you should or are forced to by certain factors.

Vanity Bonfire
Nov 6th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Damn. I was going to write a massive bitchy article about how fucked up the WTA and attached organisations have been this year. You beat me to it. Golf clap.

BuTtErFrEnA
Nov 6th, 2009, 07:09 PM

stop focusing on maria asking serena on a date and maybe you would know what's going on :rolleyes: :p

sweetpeas
Nov 6th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Don't leave,we need someone like you' here!:wavey:I'm so very glad to have known you:kiss::bounce:.Peace one love!!

Jacob#1
Nov 6th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Match fixing investigation.
An investigation?

I think you need to just keep digging in your heels and not let the inconceivable little minor atrocities ruin your good time. Nothing wrong with that.

Julian.
Nov 6th, 2009, 07:37 PM
An investigation?

I think you need to just keep digging in your heels and not let the inconceivable little minor atrocities ruin your good time. Nothing wrong with that.

:confused:

Who said there is something wrong with that? :tape:

I was just telling him what is Caroline's problem.

iPatty
Nov 6th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Was there a need for you to create your own thread on this?

Caralenko
Nov 6th, 2009, 11:15 PM
Flounce? (http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Flounce) :scratch: :lol:

mckyle.
Nov 7th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Bye Bye Birdie

auntie janie
Nov 7th, 2009, 12:36 AM
Chrissie-fan, consider simply watching matches when they're on tv, or if you can, in person, and just take a break from reading or listening to any and all tennis news or opinion, whether in print or online. If you're watching on tv and the commentators go off on something, hit the mute button for long enough for them to get back to the match at hand, and keep watching the match in silence.

Another option is to watch tennis matches livestreamed to your computer with commentary in a foreign language you don't understand. That way you get to hear the ball being struck, which you might miss while watching with the sound muted. :D

In other words, get back to your love of the GAME OF TENNIS, while checking out of the surrounding insanity. Including this message board and all tennis blogs.

Jarl_02
Nov 7th, 2009, 01:57 AM
I think you're kinda overreacting...Wickmayer's thing is really really wrong and I really hope that that will turn out fine, she is having a stupid suspension for stupid reasons.

About Serena, I don't think she did something that big, some people try to make it a big deal here and maybe some commentators but people are kinda forgetting about it.

About Wozniacki, it's the same thing with Serena, it's something suspicious so It's right to be investigated.

But that's it... just enjoy tennis....women doesn't have as many great matches as the men, but it's fun...just enjoy

Chrissie-fan
Nov 7th, 2009, 06:52 AM
Was there a need for you to create your own thread on this?
I'm sorry. I should have remembered to ask for your permission first.

Chrissie-fan
Nov 7th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Flounce? (http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Flounce) :scratch: :lol:
My OP has nothing to do with this forum or my participation in it. It's my reaction to the going's on in the game lately. I'm quite the opposite of an attention seeker. If that were the case I would just call Mildred Lovegame a cheater, Josephine Matchpoint a bitch and Agnes Dropshot a whore. Those are the type of posts that cry out for attention, and you know very well that it always works.

Mackep83
Nov 7th, 2009, 08:37 AM
I've been a lifelong tennis fan, and as you may guess from my user name and by the picture of the lady in my avatar that means a pretty long time (ok, I'm an old fart :rolleyes:). Lately though I'm beginning to question my judgement and I wonder whether I wouldn't be better of without it. The goings on in recent years (and especially in recent months) only have left me disillusioned in the game. First of all there was the coke suspension of one of my big faves - Martina Hingis. I don't believe she was guilty to begin with, but even if she was it wouldn't have mattered to me. Cocaine is not a performance enhancing drug so it's nobody's business. Then in September there was the "Serena incident." I'm not a Serena fan and it was wrong what she did - no doubt about it, but it is blown way out of proportion. She was pissed of for 10 seconds - big deal, get over it, it's not like she comitted murder. Then we had the Wozniacki thing. Even IF it was wrong what she did, she clearly meant no harm. At the worst it was a misguided act of kindness. Yet many a poster here talks about her as though she did the worst thing ever. And now - the most ridiculous situation of all: Yanina Wickmayer is suspended for one year over absolutely nothing. I can't express how sorry I feel for that girl. I must confess I've had it up to here with all that hypocritical crap that demands that players should be perfect - saints without any human emotion. Never allowed to make even a little mistake without running the risk of being put on the stake to burn. I would like to shout to those responsible for this mess: "You are nothing but a bunch of lowlife cowards!"

WTA has rules to follow so whats the problem? Its the forum and newspapers who make this things bigger than it is. So if you want to enjoy tennis more you should stop reading newspapers and forums like this.

iPatty
Nov 7th, 2009, 10:57 AM
I'm sorry. I should have remembered to ask for your permission first.

No need to get defensive. Just pointing out that this thread really has no place in GM. This isn't your diary.

Olórin
Nov 7th, 2009, 11:00 AM
No need to get defensive. Just pointing out that this thread really has no place in GM. This isn't your diary.

This thread deals with current and topical issues, it is the definition of a GM thread really. The issues are simply brought up from the perspective of one poster.

Chrissie-fan
Nov 7th, 2009, 11:19 AM
I see. Well, in the unlikely event that I will ever consider starting another thread I will nevertheless ask you first by PM on which board (if any) of the forum it actually belongs. I don't want to offend anyone and risk being suspended for a year. ;)

Em_Seeker
Nov 7th, 2009, 12:45 PM
you are a little confusing in your reasonings? are you pissed at this board for overreacting or the tennis authorities?

cus right now drama is the only thing keeping the WTA going, as 95% of the rest of it is errors, crap tennis, ugly matches and downright sad chokes.

:worship: i agree w/ you! crap tennis and ugly matches nowadays....:rolleyes:

sunset
Nov 7th, 2009, 03:36 PM

I'm just wondering if you actually play tennis or are you just a fan? :bounce:

thegreendestiny
Nov 7th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Don't worry, you'll get over your mid-life crisis sooner than you expect. :wavey:

pov
Nov 7th, 2009, 04:42 PM
I must confess I've had it up to here with all that hypocritical crap that demands that players should be perfect - saints without any human emotion. Never allowed to make even a little mistake without running the risk of being put on the stake to burn. I would like to shout to those responsible for this mess: "You are nothing but a bunch of lowlife cowards!"

lol. Way less years of life/tennis fandom but I totally agree with you. Even the media crap about Agassi is f*ckin' ridiculous. But yeah - the Wickmayer thing kinda just goes beyond.

'Course, many of the posters on this board are of similar mindsets to those "suits." They aren't i9n position to do anything other than spew their crap on here but still - it gets tiring to see it so much.

PLP
Nov 7th, 2009, 06:20 PM
I see. Well, in the unlikely event that I will ever consider starting another thread I will nevertheless ask you first by PM on which board (if any) of the forum it actually belongs. I don't want to offend anyone and risk being suspended for a year. ;)

:lol:

The Hingis situation definitely put me off tennis for a bit, but I was really interested in Wimbledon and loved how Vee was playing (til the final) and loved all the drama at the USO. Anyway...Stay!!
:)

drake3781
Nov 7th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Wickmayer - sad; the process needs fixing.

Hingis - sad; the process needs fixing, and has been fixed I believe, in this little area.

Wozniacki - tempest in a teacup; forget about it. :rolleyes:

Serena - nothing has happened yet; penalty is deserved; penalty will be somewhere between slap on the wrist ($) and missing one event, which in either case are not OTT.

Shvedbarilescu
Nov 7th, 2009, 10:53 PM
lol. Way less years of life/tennis fandom but I totally agree with you. Even the media crap about Agassi is f*ckin' ridiculous. But yeah - the Wickmayer thing kinda just goes beyond.

'Course, many of the posters on this board are of similar mindsets to those "suits." They aren't i9n position to do anything other than spew their crap on here but still - it gets tiring to see it so much.

So true. What ever happened to the good old days when most young people were rebelious, had liberal attitudes and thought for themselves? In contrast today's youth seem to be spoon fed by the world's mighty media conglomerates and more than happy to defend the status quo. I too find the conservatism in these boards very depressing.

Markus
Nov 7th, 2009, 11:04 PM
So true. What ever happened to the good old days when most young people were rebelious, had liberal attitudes and thought for themselves? In contrast today's youth seem to be spoon fed by the world's mighty media conglomerates and more than happy to defend the status quo. I too find the conservatism in these boards very depressing.
Off Topic. I wasn't able to articulate myself in that way. Thank you. Living in New York currently and making exactly that experience is a little bit disturbing, especially in this city which should be cutting edge but isn't anymore, unfortunately.

thrust
Nov 8th, 2009, 12:59 AM

Only idiots, and the WTA is full of them, would think Caro was fixing a match at that time.

thrust
Nov 8th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Chrissie Fan- I understand your frustration. The WTA and women's tennis is going through a very bad time now but with the Belgians and Maria coming back and if the Serbs get their games where they should be, next year could be a great one despite the idiots who run the WTA.

Pat Bateman
Nov 8th, 2009, 09:33 AM

Self indulgent much?:scratch:

AlwaysGraf
Nov 8th, 2009, 04:37 PM
I don't know what to think. I do feel sorry for her if it was a genuine error with IT or passwords or whatever. Surely she is professional enough to know how important these things are. Does she not have people around her to sort these things out? Why oh why did someone not check to make 100% sure everything was ok, that the authorities had received notification of her whereabouts. She'll learn the next time if she gets a ban. But 1 year-I think that's too much. This could ruin her career as she's starting to really make a name for herself t still now.

Hingis-she took coke-I'm like whatever, but still it's an illegal substance, not one which would enhance her performance, but still illegal all the same. I'd get reprimanded if I was found to be taking illegal substances in my job. Why should pro athletes be any different? She was still working!!!! Yes, tennis is her job!!! And jobs have rules! And I don't think it tarnishes her career anyway. She won everything she could in her teens.

Wozniacki-what happened there? What could sickly sweet caroline do wrong???? She's another clijsters, she'll not win anything big until she gets tough!! Ps Clijsters has underachieved.

Serena-I can't stand the woman, the player, what she's all about. I've never detested any other player like I have her. I hate seeing her on tele, the way she takes the piss out of the sport that made her who she is, the disrespect....but...if she gets a ban then I'd be like seriously wtf is goin on. She went a bit crazy but so what. Sure she shouldn't have threatened the lineswoman but the flack she got, when others like John McEnroe or some of the other men get off scott free, is ridiculous. It's because she's a woman

Rant over

bjurra
Nov 8th, 2009, 04:57 PM
When I read the thread title, I thought the OP would go on and on about the poor quality of womens tennis at the moment. Guess I was wrong.

Pat Bateman
Nov 10th, 2009, 09:15 AM
^^^We should be so lucky!