PDA

View Full Version : 2010 GS: will we finally see a Serena/Henin final?

hankqq
Nov 5th, 2009, 05:57 PM
a GS final between these 2 would just be perfect, as it's the one thing missing from their rivalry and it would really set the tennis world on fire. Do you think it will happen in 2010?

MBM
Nov 5th, 2009, 06:03 PM
its strange that i never considered that they hadn't met in a gs final!

Craig.
Nov 5th, 2009, 06:10 PM
I actually think Justine's comeback attempt will be an epic fail :shrug: So who knows if she'll even make it back to another slam final, let alone against Serena?

fufuqifuqishahah
Nov 5th, 2009, 06:13 PM
I expect Justine will be like

2r/3r/2r/QF

or 2r/3r/4r/SF

or 2r/3r/QF/SF

something like dat xD

Vincey!
Nov 5th, 2009, 06:17 PM
I had a dream the other night :)...Justine lost 6-4 6-3 on clay to I think it was Cohen-Aloro..but I can't remember but it was a girl outside the top 100 :confused:

So if she can't win against a top 100 on clay, I like to think she'll have a bad comeback :D :devil:

miffedmax
Nov 5th, 2009, 06:25 PM
I'd rather see a Lena/Rena final. Bangs trump stomach cramps.

Olórin
Nov 5th, 2009, 06:25 PM
I think they might actually finally do it...at the French.....

Olórin
Nov 5th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Bangs trump stomach cramps.

Lol!

Matt01
Nov 5th, 2009, 06:30 PM
I actually think Justine's comeback attempt will be an epic fail :shrug:

More of a fail than Sharapova's comeback? :tape:

Craig.
Nov 5th, 2009, 06:34 PM

You know what, the second I opened the thread and saw that you'd replied I knew you had made some kind of trollish remark like this :lol:

winchester
Nov 5th, 2009, 06:38 PM

Why are you attacking Sharapova, he just stated that he thinks her comeback will be a failure, as far as I'm concerned, I'm sure Henin will be back on top very soon, there are very few players who can match her, only Sharapova, WS and Clijsters can stop her, others players are a joke.

MaBaker
Nov 5th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Hopefully.

Matt01
Nov 5th, 2009, 06:47 PM
You know what, the second I opened the thread and saw that you'd replied I knew you had made some kind of trollish remark like this :lol:

My remark wasn't any more trollish than yours :lol:

Craig.
Nov 5th, 2009, 06:51 PM

OMG, you're such an idiot. I don't even know why I bother :help:

It's called having an OPINION. I personally think that she'll struggle. But YOU don't have to think the same. And if and when you don't agree with someone's opinion, you try to understand why and reason with them, not make some lame comment that shows how narrow-minded you really are.

Goodbye.

Lucemferre
Nov 5th, 2009, 06:51 PM

Yes it was.His was an opinion,yours was an attention seeking cheap shot.

Dunlop1
Nov 5th, 2009, 06:57 PM
I actually think Justine's comeback attempt will be an epic fail :shrug: So who knows if she'll even make it back to another slam final, let alone against Serena?

Based on what??
She came back to win the Olympics in 04.
She has been aggressively training. Besides even if she is not at her top level, her B level is enough to embarrass the pretenders on tour today.

Do we need to revisit her H2H against the reigning FO champ :tape:

Matt01
Nov 5th, 2009, 10:07 PM

It's called having an OPINION. I personally think that she'll struggle. But YOU don't have to think the same. And if and when you don't agree with someone's opinion, you try to understand why and reason with them, not make some lame comment that shows how narrow-minded you really are.

Goodbye.

No, you didn't say that Henin will struggle, you said that her comeback will be an EPIC FAIL: And I think that Pova's comback was an epic fail as well. Why not? It's called having an OPINION.

winchester
Nov 5th, 2009, 10:25 PM
OMG, you're such an idiot. I don't even know why I bother :help:No, you didn't say that Henin will struggle, you said that her comeback will be an EPIC FAILWhich means she will struggle. And Sharapova's comeback wasn't a failure, she wasn't even in the top 100 and now she is in the top 15, not bad at all, anyway can't wait to see her bageling Henin again, just to shut your big mouth.

hdfb
Nov 5th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Wow, a thread about Serena/Henin where Sharapova bashing takes precedence. Loves it.

Matt01
Nov 5th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Which means she will struggle. And Sharapova's comeback wasn't a failure, she wasn't even in the top 100 and now she is in the top 15, not bad at all, anyway can't wait to see her bageling Henin again, just to shut your big mouth.

:lol:

Pova has played more tha half a season on tour again so being #14 isn't really that great. She was bageled by Cibulkova in a Slam and had embarassig showings at the other 2 Slams. She only won a tournament because her opponent in the final withdrew. And now her fans are telling me that Justine's comeback will be an epic fail. I love it :lol:

Matt01
Nov 5th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Wow, a thread about Serena/Henin where Sharapova bashing takes precedence. Loves it.

Pova fans were bashing Henin first :wavey:

Sammm
Nov 5th, 2009, 10:36 PM
I expect Justine will be like

2r/3r/2r/QF

or 2r/3r/4r/SF

or 2r/3r/QF/SF

something like dat xD

She will only reach 3r at the French? :confused: Pencil her in for the quarters at the very least.

I just don't see the final between the two happening, sadly. t would be so great for the sport if it does.

Horizon
Nov 5th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Chances of them always being on the same side of the draw all year are 1 in 16, even less because in the situation that by the US Open they are #1 and #2 in the world, they are guaranteed opposite sides.

Basically, it's very unlikey to happen.

winchester
Nov 5th, 2009, 10:44 PM
:lol:

Pova has played more tha half a season on tour again so being #14 isn't really that great. She was bageled by Cibulkova in a Slam and had embarassig showings at the other 2 Slams. She only won a tournament because her opponent in the final withdrew. And now her fans are telling me that Justine's comeback will be an epic fail. I love it :lol:

First of all, I said Henin's comeback won't be a failure, and Sharapova was coming back from injury, not comparable to Henin or Clijsters, and don't even start with the withdrawal, JJ had no chance to beat Pova and we both know it.

Matt01
Nov 5th, 2009, 10:46 PM
First of all, I said Henin's comeback won't be a failure, and Sharapova was coming back from injury, not comparable to Henin or Clijsters, and don't even start with the withdrawal, JJ had no chance to beat Pova and we both know it.

A healthy JJ would have been able to kick Pova's ass and we both know it,.

winchester
Nov 5th, 2009, 10:52 PM

:lol::lol::lol::lol: you need to check the H2H, buddy. JJ has nothing to hurt Pova. Their matchup will always be in Maria's hands:shrug:

gc-spurs
Nov 5th, 2009, 10:53 PM

:eek: Paris??

Definitely, based on all those times JJ has kicked Pova's ass.

Mackep83
Nov 5th, 2009, 10:53 PM
I dont think she forgot how to be the best in the world. And definitely not forgot how the beat serena in grand slams.

Matt01
Nov 5th, 2009, 11:00 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol: you need to check the H2H, buddy. JJ has nothing to hurt Pova. Their matchup will always be in Maria's hands:shrug:

I know their H2H and JJ has beaten Pova before. Saying that JJ has "nothing to hurt Pova" is downright deluded.

winchester
Nov 5th, 2009, 11:08 PM
I know their H2H and JJ has beaten Pova before. Saying that JJ has "nothing to hurt Pova" is downright deluded.

You know what I mean, at least, I hope.

hankqq
Nov 5th, 2009, 11:30 PM
I was curious how many chances there were in the past for Serena and Henin to face each other in a slam final. I decided to go as far back as 2001, which was when Henin started doing really well in the majors (Serena of course had her breakthrough in 1999). Since 2001, Serena and Henin were in opposite halves of a slam draw 8 times.

here they are. quick color code Henin lost before final, Serena lost before final, both lost before final

2001 AO, RG
2002 WIM
2003 AO
2004 RG, USO
2005 USO
2006 USO

additionally, since 2001, both players missed a lot of slams which no doubt has contributed to the fact that they haven't met in a major final yet.

Serena was absent from 6 majors during this time: 2002 AO, 2003 USO, 2004 AO, 2005 RG and 2006 RG/WIM.
Henin was absent from 10 majors during this time: 2004 WIM, 2005 AO, 2007 AO, and of course every slam from 2008 RG to 2009 USO.

lastly, here's a tally of of how many times Serena and Henin could have faced each other before the final from 2001 to the present. They were drawn to meet in a slam 12 times before the final. Of these 12 possible meetings, 6 took place.

again use this color code: Henin lost before meeting, Serena lost before meeting, both lost before meeting. The ones in black font actually took place.

SF: 5X...(2001 WIM, 2003 RG, 2003 WIM, 2006 AO, 2008 AO)
QF: 6X...(2002 RG, 2002 USO, 2005 WIM, 2007 RG/WIM/USO)
RD16: 1X...(2001 USO)

So to sum it all up, between 2001 and 2008 AO, Serena and Henin were both present at a slam 20 times. They had 8 chances to face off in the final but failed to do so. Of their possible 12 non-final meetings, 6 took place.

hopefully they will be able to renew their rivalry in the slams next year, and possibly even in a final! :p :bounce: :cool: :)

Kunal
Nov 5th, 2009, 11:41 PM
need to see that happen next year for the good of wta

supergrunt
Nov 6th, 2009, 04:14 AM
that would be the best tennis match of all time

ireneteri
Nov 6th, 2009, 04:15 AM
anything can happen. lets wait till 2010 and then talk. i hope these two:worship: meet in the finals. it would be great if they do

SAEKeithSerena
Nov 6th, 2009, 04:17 AM
Hopefully Serena defeats her in the Wimbledon final :) that would be icing on the cake :)

Dandy_Warhol
Nov 6th, 2009, 07:14 AM
i hope this happens :drool:

hankqq
Jan 28th, 2010, 06:05 AM
bump! :lol:
wow i can't believe i have to bump this thread so soon :spit: it's on :drool: :fiery:

DragonFlame
Jan 28th, 2010, 06:08 AM
First possible grandslam and we have the 2 best players in the final. :haha: :worship: Lets hope for a great match!

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jan 28th, 2010, 06:09 AM
Hankqq :worship::worship:

So, any predictions on the final? Who's gonna win? :lol:

Cp6uja
Jan 28th, 2010, 06:09 AM
FINALLY :cheer::cheer::woohoo:

hankqq
Jan 28th, 2010, 06:17 AM
Hankqq :worship::worship:

So, any predictions on the final? Who's gonna win? :lol:

hoping Serena but I think Henin :lol: :p :shrug: