PDA

View Full Version : Australian Open 2010 - Serena Williams' Odds to Win Women's Singles

Bijoux0021
Nov 4th, 2009, 08:11 PM
http://www.crunchsports.com/category/Tennis/Australian-Open-2010--Serena-Williams-Odds-to-Win-Womens-Singles-200911030032/

Australian Open 2010 - Serena Williams' Odds to Win Women's Singles

Crunch Sports Staff

3 Nov 2009

http://i38.tinypic.com/rbmwjk.png
Serena Williams leads the pack.

With Doha complete and the women's tennis season all but over, it's time to start making your picks for who is going to win the 2010 Australian Open. That tournament, which isn't all that far away, will take place from Melbourne in early 2010 from January 18th to January 31st. Serena Williams, the defending champion and current world number 1, looks like a great pick to take the Grand Slam down and she is currently priced with odds that are long enough to warrant betting her.

Often a favorite to win a Grand Slam will be set at +250 (5/2) or shorter but in this case Serena Williams is still priced at +300 (3/1) with both Paddy Power and Ladbrokes. There is definitely value with that price for the American star that seems to elevate her game for Grand Slam events.

Here are the other favorites to win the 2010 Australian Open:

2. Kim Clijsters, +400 (4/1) bet365
3. Justine Henin, +500 (5/1) bet365
4. Venus Williams, +800 (8/1) Ladbrokes
5. Maria Sharapova, +900 (9/1) bet365
6. Elena Dementieva, +1400 (14/1) Ladbrokes
7. Victoria Azarenka, +1600 (16/1) Paddy Power
8. Caroline Wozniacki, +1600 (16/1) Paddy Power
9. Dinara Safina, +2000 (20/1) Paddy Power
10. Svetlana Kuznetsova, +2000 (20/1) Boylesports

Clijsters comes in as a top pick due to her victory at the US Open. However while she had a history of success in Flushing Meadows before this year's event, she's never won in Melbourne before. She isn't the best pick to make if you are betting against Serena Williams and she isn't all that active on tour.

A big story heading into the tournament will definitely be the return of Justine Henin to Grand Slam tennis. At +500 (5/1) Henin will probably be drawing a lot of action but going in as a wild card who knows what kind of draw she is going to be getting. She could end up with really challenging and/or exhausting early round match-ups that could really hurt her chances of winning the entire event.

Henin only won the Australian Open once back in 2004 so there's no need to get too excited about her without watching her first.

Venus Williams has never won the Australian Open and she will be turning 30 in 2010. Her play in Doha was certainly very tough but she still had a losing record there, going 2-3. She's been dropping too many matches to low ranked players to justify calling her and you have to wonder if she can win her quarter let alone the whole event.

Down the list, Maria Sharapova and Svetlana Kuznetsova really stand out.

Sharapova stands out because of her recent title against a difficult field in Tokyo about a month ago and because she won the Aussie in 2008. At +900 (9/1) you have to love picking Sharapova at this point.

Kuznetsova is also a great pick because she is ranked 3rd in the world and should have a favorable draw deep into the tournament. She has been playing exceptional tennis over the last year and while she's never been all that successful at the Australian Open, at +2000 (20/1) she has been priced right to gamble on for a first time win.

Our recommendation is to either pick Serena and then run with her win or lose or two-bet against her with Sharapova and Kuznetsova.

Pureracket
Nov 4th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Surprised JH is so high.

DOUBLEFIST
Nov 4th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Surprised JH is so high.

No doubt. I might take that bet. Might make some money.

Buitenzorg
Nov 4th, 2009, 08:56 PM
My TOP 5

1. Serena
2. Sharapova
3. Clijsters
4. Wozniacki
5. Henin

friendsita
Nov 4th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Is a par year so Serena won't win. I pick Venus.

The Daviator
Nov 4th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Is a par year so Serena won't win. I pick Venus.

Venus has never won the AO, even or odd :lol:

Arnian
Nov 4th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Justine being so high is a testament to how great of a player she is. Believe me after she gets warmed up at Brisbane, she will be one of the top 3 competitors in Australia, however I still predict Serena to win because who knows how bad of a draw Justine might get.

markdelaney
Nov 4th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Serena has to be the favourite especially as venus has seemed so average at this tournament in recent years.

Uranium
Nov 4th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Venus has never won the AO, even or odd :lol:

Ok...I don't really see the point of bringing that up:o

Justine 3rd, she hasn't even played a match:o
If I was a betting man, I'd take those odds on Vee:hearts:

Inger67
Nov 4th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Wow, I seriously might take that bet on Venus. If I put $100 down then I WILL win $800 ;) :p Haha but for real. Those are good odds to play I think for a 7 time GS Champ.

And in the offseason I expect Vee to do whatever she needs to do to comeback next season and be successful.

moby
Nov 4th, 2009, 11:29 PM
Wow, I seriously might take that bet on Venus. If I put $100 down then I WILL win $800 ;) :p Haha but for real. Those are good odds to play I think for a 7 time GS Champ.

And in the offseason I expect Vee to do whatever she needs to do to comeback next season and be successful.If you put $100 down on Venus, then you WILL lose $100.
I'm surprised by Caro's odds. Why is she more of a favourite then Sveta?

Dave B
Nov 4th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Venus is a good deal at those prices, but in my view Kuznetsova is a downright steal.

AO has been her weakest GS though. It's funny. you'd think someone who won the USO and FO would do well on a hard court with high bounces....

brent-o
Nov 4th, 2009, 11:54 PM
I desperately do not want Serena to win Aussie Open 2010 so she can win in 2011 and continue her streak lol!

Temperenka
Nov 5th, 2009, 12:09 AM
Good odds for Maria. I see her winning it.

I like the attention to Caro and Vika. If they can both get healthy and Vika can get her head together in the off-season.. they could either sneak to the final.

Dawson.
Nov 5th, 2009, 12:26 AM
Justine's odds are so short because no one knows how well she'll perform yet. Kim's comeback probably helped matters too.

I like Sharapova's odds though. I don't think she's capable of playing any worse than this year, yet it was still pretty good considering the circumstances. She'll only improve from here.

youizahoe
Nov 5th, 2009, 12:47 AM
Ok...I don't really see the point of bringing that up:o

Justine 3rd, she hasn't even played a match:o
If I was a betting man, I'd take those odds on Vee:hearts:

At the AO, that's a serious risk of your money :eek:

Mynarco
Nov 5th, 2009, 12:47 AM
this post reminds me to open my account in ladbrokes :p

SELVEN
Nov 5th, 2009, 03:17 AM
my list
maria sharapova
Justin henin
kim clijsters
Serena williams
Caroline wozniacki

others wouldn't have chance

brickhousesupporter
Nov 5th, 2009, 03:35 AM
I desperately do not want Serena to win Aussie Open 2010 so she can win in 2011 and continue her streak lol!
I kinda feel the same way. To win it this year would mess up the symmetry of her winning record at the Aus Open. However, I realize that time is currently not on her side, and I want her to win as many as she can in the time that she has.

ZODIAC
Nov 5th, 2009, 03:39 AM
I think a very young player will win the Australian Open,she will blitz fearlessly through the draw...

ElusiveChanteuse
Nov 5th, 2009, 04:01 AM
I think Sharapova will win.:p

fufuqifuqishahah
Nov 5th, 2009, 05:03 AM
Venus or Kuznetsova will win

LOL at Jankovic and Ivanovic now totally off the radar xD

also this year's SF Zvonareva not on the list either

Mistress of Evil
Nov 5th, 2009, 08:22 AM
I think Sharapova will win.:p

This.

Galsen
Nov 5th, 2009, 01:46 PM
so I'm not the only one who want Serena to win in odd years only... :tape:

saska77
Nov 5th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Oh I need to open an online account, our local Ladbrokes is filth!

Sharapova then - Ill put £100 down. That should give me enough to pay for tix for the US Open to see her win that :)

sammy01
Nov 5th, 2009, 02:30 PM
with womens tennis who knows. you may as well go stick your money on red or black at roulette, at least thats almost 50-50

Craig.
Nov 5th, 2009, 03:27 PM

Sharapova then - Ill put £100 down. That should give me enough to pay for tix for the US Open to see her win that :)

:rolls: :yeah:

gc-spurs
Nov 5th, 2009, 05:47 PM

My thoughts exactly. Maria's gonna get my to NY.

Andrew Laeddis
Nov 5th, 2009, 06:42 PM
I see one of the four winning it.
1. Serena
2. Sharapova
3. Clijsters
4. Wozniacki

Mightymirza
Nov 5th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Demented number 6 :tape: :help: