PDA

View Full Version : Can top players enter challengers?

jimbo mack
Nov 4th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Random thoughts...

If Serena wanted to play a $10,000 challenger during the year would this be allowed? :confused:

Could Safina have played the $50,000 in Nantes this week if she wanted to?

i'm not saying they should play itf's of course, but was wondering if this would be allowed? What are the rules? Is there a limit they're allowed to play?

Jorn
Nov 4th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Caroline with Ranking 13-15 played a 100K last year.

But I don't think TOP tenners can enter 10K's

skanky~skanketta
Nov 4th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Rusedski desperately tried to once, to become the British #1...and failed miserably. Then again he wasn't really a top player. And this is ATP. Sorry.

jimbo mack
Nov 4th, 2009, 02:50 PM
i don't understand why they can't if there's not a wta event in the same week?

Illusionist
Nov 4th, 2009, 02:52 PM
I think top50 or something can enter with WC to challengers. Top10 can't play... at least that's the case with ATP...

Caipirinha Guy
Nov 4th, 2009, 03:40 PM
No! Kleybanova as n.30 entered Kraków 125k last year, I remember. Same with Wozniacki who last year competed in Odense ITF being 15. And Cibulkova entered 100k Poitiers this year and they didn't need WC.

thegreendestiny
Nov 4th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Vaidisova is currently working hard to be accepted in MDs of challengers

NeeemZ
Nov 4th, 2009, 04:01 PM
I don't know whether the rules changes for ITF tournament entry but I know Chanda Rubin played in an ITF ranked 12 previously. It was around the end of the year when she was returning from injury. I think it was 1996 to be honest. But the rules have probably changed.

SVK
Nov 4th, 2009, 04:07 PM
I think top50 or something can enter with WC to challengers. Top10 can't play... at least that's the case with ATP...

Cibulkova as Nr.23 played a challenger last week and she hadnīt a WC...Donīt remeber how it was with Caro in Odense year ago but she played 100k ch. as Nr.13

No! Kleybanova as n.30 entered Kraków 125k last year, I remember. Same with Wozniacki who last year competed in Odense ITF being 15. And Cibulkova entered 100k Poitiers this year and they didn't need WC.

125k?? Isnīt the best challenger just 100k+H?:scratch::p...Higher are just 220k..and these are already WTA tournaments

jimbo mack
Nov 4th, 2009, 04:39 PM
been doing some research on itf's..

schultz-mccarthy played in midland 95, ranked 13

hingis played in prostejov in 96 ranked 16

habsudova and paulus played this same challenger in 97, ranked 11 and 17 respectively

so the highest ranked player, to my knowledge, was habsudova. but this was back in 90's, i don't know what the rules were then and what they are now..maybe a top ten player has never entered?

Golovinjured.
Nov 4th, 2009, 04:44 PM
I'm sure Chanda Rubin played an ITF while she was ranked in the TOP 10, just after injury. Let me check.

EDIT: She was ranked #12, and won $25,000 Salzburg in 1996. She beat #185 Shaughessy in R1, and unranked Mirjana Lucic in the final.

Chanda :inlove:

Meelis
Nov 4th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Top-10 list players probably canīt under current rules. They canīt even play lower level WTA tournaments freely. Everyone else is free to play ITF circuit.

125k?? Isnīt the best challenger just 100k+H?:scratch::p...Higher are just 220k..and these are already WTA tournaments

Tournaments like to advertise 125k, since it sounds a lot better than 100k+H :p

goldenlox
Nov 4th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Are you sure about that? So Kim can play a 10k if she wants, and Zvonareva can't play a 100k?

Jem
Nov 4th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Think Catarina Lindquist once played a 10K when she was ranked in the top 10!

AdeyC
Nov 4th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Rusedski desperately tried to once, to become the British #1...and failed miserably. Then again he wasn't really a top player. And this is ATP. Sorry.

He was a world No 4 - although not at the time you mention above - he failed that time but had been British No 1 before.

kris719
Nov 4th, 2009, 06:38 PM
why the hell would they want to when they can win more money on a bigger stage?

goldenlox
Nov 4th, 2009, 07:26 PM
A player might be injured, then be ready to play in November. Instead of waiting for NZ or Brisbane, maybe they want to play a 100k in December.

I think it's an interesting question.
There must be some WTA rules about it.
I wonder if players know.
I remember Aga couldn't play a lower Tier event she wanted to play.
Sveta wanted to play NZ in January and couldn't.

Jorn
Nov 4th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Caro played in Denmark last year, but that ITF Tournament is now cancelled because its next year a WTA Tournament. Else had there been a tournament ithink Caro would be playing even she's now No. 4.

We will see if any top players play in Dubai in december.

andrewbroad
Nov 4th, 2009, 10:26 PM
The WTA Tour Rulebook (http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/page/TourRules/0,,12781,00.html) has rules against Tour-level players playing in ITF tournaments if they would clash with mandatory tournaments or the first week of a Major, or violate the Age-Eligibility Rule.

The Suspension Rule says that a top-ten player can't miss a Premier Mandatory tournament (or a Premier 5 tournament that is part of her Commitment) and claim that she was out injured for eight weeks or more, if she played an ITF tournament during that period.

But there's no rule against top-ten players playing ITF tournaments as far as I can tell.

davidmario
Nov 5th, 2009, 02:21 AM
Vaidisova is currently working hard to be accepted in MDs of challengers

:haha: Let's say Radek is also working hard on Vaidisova making it to the challengers:lick: