PDA

View Full Version : Number one player in the world or olympic champion?

Elenarulez
Nov 4th, 2009, 12:03 PM
What would you prefer? :cool:

PS: Being number one without slams.

SELVEN
Nov 4th, 2009, 12:11 PM
olympic champion absolutely

SAEKeithSerena
Nov 4th, 2009, 12:24 PM
number one.

BlameSerena
Nov 4th, 2009, 12:28 PM
For me, the olympic gold would mean more.

Mynarco
Nov 4th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Olympic gold. It's a national glory.

Bronx19
Nov 4th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Number one for how long? The olympics has really lost its luster these days, but being number one isnt that great either.

Wiggly
Nov 4th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Number one for how long? The olympics has really lost its luster these days, but being number one isnt that great either.

Yeah, being #1 for a month isn't worth a Gold medal.
Anyways, I would prefer to be an Olympic champion than a #1 these days. It changes every 3 weeks so it's not as prestigious as before.

Plus, Canada doesn't have that many superstars outside of hockey in international sports (football, tennis, etc.) so it would be huge.

miffedmax
Nov 4th, 2009, 12:36 PM
You should have included the option of having the best bangs ever.

And is that #1 with or without a slam?

BuTtErFrEnA
Nov 4th, 2009, 12:37 PM
#1 with bangs :devil:

mauresmofan
Nov 4th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Olympic gold transcends across all sports so it's the obvious choice for me

ElusiveChanteuse
Nov 4th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Olympics.:)

AndreConrad
Nov 4th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Wow, how one could say that? There is only ONE number 1 in the world at any given time and only ONE olympic champion for duration of four years. Either is a great, an amazing achievement. A lot of people would be proud to be number one in anything. Perhaps being number one means little from the place between the chair and the keyboard :shrug:

Break My Rapture
Nov 4th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Olympic Champion.

DragonFlame
Nov 4th, 2009, 02:22 PM
I'd kill to have an olympic gold medal. :worship: In what a select group of people would your name be added. The greatest athletes in the world, just amazing!

Alex03Maccy
Nov 4th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Olympics.

Aaric
Nov 4th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Olympic champion by a mile

jefrilibra
Nov 4th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Michelle Kwan says Olympic Champion!:kiss:

miffedmax
Nov 4th, 2009, 02:46 PM
With all due respect to my beloved, formerly banged beauty, I'd rather be #1.

An Olympic gold is great and wonderful, and increasingly sought-after, but when push comes to shove, I'd rank it up there with a slam as an achievement for a pro tennis player.

Frankly, there have been a lot more slam winners than #1s, and lot of slam winners who never reached #1. You're part of an extremely select group.

For all the kvetching about WTA number ones, nobody's bitching about the rankings on the men's side. This is a blip. For the bulk of the time since rankings have been kept, being #1 has been a huge deal to both fans and players--indeed, during the '70s and '80s players were often more worried about rankings than slams.

I'm glad tennis is part of the Olympics, and frankly, I think it generates more excitement among casual fans than Fed Cup (the fall of Fed Cup is a topic for another thread) but it's not essential to tennis in the same way it is to track or swimming or most of the winter sports.

thegreendestiny
Nov 4th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Olympics. I find it more important than slam.

youizahoe
Nov 4th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Olympic gold, not that it's more important than a slam or a number 1 position, but because it means more to myself :)

AnnaK_4ever
Nov 4th, 2009, 03:50 PM
It depends.

If I had to choose between Safina's (or Jankovic's) career and Dementieva's one I would choose the latter.
If I had to choose between Rios' career and Massu's (or Rosse's) one I would choose the former.

ce
Nov 4th, 2009, 03:51 PM
n1

tonybotz
Nov 4th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Number one. Olympic champion means squat in tennis. it's only been a real event since 1988, and it's validity has always been questioned as tennis players are professionals and really shouldn't even be competing at the olympics. the only players who value their olympic wins over their success on the pro tour are the ones who haven't achieved anything on the pro tour (Dementieva comes to mind).

AleOrtu
Nov 4th, 2009, 05:52 PM
I voted Olympic Champion because it lasts forever, your country will always remember you as a hero.
You can be #1 for just 3 weeks and dissapear.

I think that if I represent a country with many #1´s and many gold medals (like USA, Russia) I would prefer to be #1 and make it money (sponsors, exhibitions, everything a #1 can get), but if you are from Slovakia, Portugal, Moroco, Croatia, Argentina, Indonesia, I think it is better to get the golden medal and be a hero the rest of your life.

We still remember the silver medal Gabriela Sabatini won in Seoul´88 :worship:

Uranium
Nov 4th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Olympic Gold.

Lulu.
Nov 4th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Olympic Champion.

darrinbaker00
Nov 4th, 2009, 10:00 PM
I'd rather be #1, because if you do your endorsement contacts right, you can make a whole lot more money. ;)

tennisbum79
Nov 4th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Has there been a thread between Oplympics and a GS?

I will pick GS, any GS that is, over the Olympics.
Unlike typical Olympic sports such as track & fields, swimming and skating, in tennis, people only mentions your olympic gold if you have not done much in terms of GS.

How many times have heard commentators or printt resporters mentions Venus 3 Olympics Gold( 1 Single and 2 double) when talking about her tennis records?
You have to search hard to find any reference to it.

On the other hand, if she does not win a GS, Dementieva's Olympics gold will grow in importance and surpass Venus 3 Olympics gold.

Kworb
Nov 4th, 2009, 10:53 PM
For sure Olympic Champion.

Bronx19
Nov 5th, 2009, 12:00 AM
Wow, how one could say that? There is only ONE number 1 in the world at any given time and only ONE olympic champion for duration of four years. Either is a great, an amazing achievement. A lot of people would be proud to be number one in anything. Perhaps being number one means little from the place between the chair and the keyboard :shrug:

Ask Safina how that number one feeling is going. Lets put it this way, I would rather be in Federer's position than have a gold medal. I would rather win a gold medal than be in Safina's position.

V's a star
Nov 5th, 2009, 12:17 AM
hmm very hard to decide.
But id go with with a Gold. Could u even imagine??Winning it not only for u but ur COUNTRY!!!:hearts:

mankind
Nov 5th, 2009, 04:03 AM
Being Olympic Champion seems more tangible - you have a gold medal you can keep forever. Being No.1 is more of an ethereal thing (often an arbitrary game of pass-the-parcel as we've seen recently), and if you've become No.1 with a slam, you'll treasure the slam victory more.

samsam4087
Nov 5th, 2009, 04:27 AM
Olympic Gold

beriadan
Nov 5th, 2009, 04:33 AM
No.1 Def.

thegreendestiny
Nov 5th, 2009, 06:19 AM
I'd rather be No.1 than be lucky in less than 2 weeks in the Olympics.
-JJ

AnnaK_4ever
Nov 5th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Ask Safina how that number one feeling is going. Lets put it this way, I would rather be in Federer's position than have a gold medal. I would rather win a gold medal than be in Safina's position.

Federer is an Olympic champion.

The Kaz
Nov 5th, 2009, 07:38 AM
Olympic Champion by FAR!

World No 1s come and go...but being an Olympic champions stays with you for life.

Mistress of Evil
Nov 5th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Since Jankovic/Safina and Ana(unfortunately) were No1.It has lost its value.

thegreendestiny
Nov 5th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Since Jankovic/Safina and Ana(unfortunately) were No1.It has lost its value.

Indeed. Her lone/fluke slam won't make up for her failure.

Costanza
Nov 5th, 2009, 09:09 AM

Poor Dementedtard:hug:

nevetssllim
Nov 5th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Olympic gold medal by a mile - the feeling of winning an Olympic gold medal must be absolutely indescribable.

Anabelcroft
Nov 5th, 2009, 09:22 AM
olympic champion

Miss Atomic Bomb
Nov 5th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Depends. I would take being Number#1 for 52 Weeks or more over an Olympic gold.

AnnaK_4ever
Nov 5th, 2009, 09:27 AM
I didn't know Nicolas Massu had so many TF accounts :worship:

The Kaz
Nov 5th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Poor Dementedtard:hug:

And yet I would take Lena D's career and achievements over Ana's ANY day ;)

DS.Fan.
Nov 5th, 2009, 09:50 AM
For a tennis player,I think #1 is more meaningful:p

Vyacheslavovna
Nov 5th, 2009, 04:22 PM
The gold medal every time:

You can make use of it as a promotional gimmick to kickstart your wrestling career

It can be used under a table leg, to prop up a wonky table

And if times get tough, you can always put a gold medal on ebay

miffedmax
Nov 5th, 2009, 05:31 PM
And yet I would take Lena D's career and achievements over Ana's ANY day ;)

Ana's not done yet. But if she doesn't turn it around, I'd concur she's headed for Barbara Jordanville.

Man, I hated Barbara Jordan. Never could figure out why.

Have I mentioned Lena's bangs yet today?

lee station
Nov 5th, 2009, 07:49 PM
olympic champion

Mightymirza
Nov 5th, 2009, 08:19 PM
numero uno

Volcana
Nov 5th, 2009, 09:50 PM
What would you prefer? Being Olympic champion. Because by definition, you to go to the Olympics! Not just go, but live in the Villiage, hang with the best athletes in the world, as one of them, eat with them, sleep with them ... that's got to be a total rush.

Besides, let's be honest. Who had more fun? Elena Dementieva or Dinara Safina?

young_gunner913
Nov 5th, 2009, 09:52 PM
olympic gold. but just because demented won a gold wont and will never change the fact that she's already passed her peak and will never win a slam. :)

KournikovaFan91
Nov 5th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Ohh please Safina has nothing to show for being number one neither does Jankovic. Dementieva has a medal and a place as a gold medalist withe the best athletes in the world at the world's greatest sporting event.

Who gives a fuck who gets the most points :rolleyes:

darrinbaker00
Nov 6th, 2009, 01:14 AM
Ohh please Safina has nothing to show for being number one neither does Jankovic.
I'm sure their racquet and clothing sponsors broke them off a good chunk of change for being #1.

Dementieva has a medal and a place as a gold medalist withe the best athletes in the world at the world's greatest sporting event.
If Dementieva were a sprinter, swimmer or gymnast, that would be the pinnacle of accomplishments in her sport. Unfortunately for her, she's a tennis player, and there are other accomplishments that are more meaningful.

Who gives a fuck who gets the most points :rolleyes:
The players, that's who.

miffedmax
Nov 6th, 2009, 01:19 AM
I'm just posting here to mention Lena's bangs because I didn't mention them in a post on the events at Ft. Hood today. Too close to home. So this is a makeup post.

And here's a mention of the bangs for this post.

The Daviator
Nov 6th, 2009, 01:32 AM

Ana can keep "failing" for the next 10 years, she'll still have done two things that Lena hasn't in all her years playing - the GS and the #1 :wavey: :)

Ana's not done yet. But if she doesn't turn it around, I'd concur she's headed for Barbara Jordanville.

Man, I hated Barbara Jordan. Never could figure out why.

Have I mentioned Lena's bangs yet today?

No. If you take away Ana's Slam, her achievements are comparable to Dementieva's - 2 GS finals, and several Tier Is, and that's without her major. Barbara Jordan won a Slam and nothing else.

I know a lot of people here can't remember past 2007, but just to refresh your minds, when Dementieva was Ana's age, she had ZERO singles titles, ONE Slam semi, and was hovering around the #20 mark, precisely where Ana is now. Ivanovic at 22 >>>>>>>>>>>> Dementieva at 22, just something to think about.

miffedmax
Nov 6th, 2009, 02:04 AM
That's why--if you actually paid attention to my post--I left the door open for Ana.

IF she moves back into the Top 20 and starts to win some titles again, then she'll probably have a better overall career.

IF she keeps falling down the rankings and only has 1.5 years as a major player in the game, then yeah, a comparison to Jordan isn't all that far off.

And btw, it's pretty laughable to lecture me about remembering before 2007, when I'm about to rant about a hairstyle from 2000.