PDA

View Full Version : Martina N. did it, Serena could do it.

ttaM
Nov 3rd, 2009, 06:35 PM
Martina Navratilova is the only player I know of who managed to win a singles slam title in three different decades (70s, 80s, 90s). Since Serena is the only active singles slam winner of the 90s ('99 US Open winner), she could very well join Martina N. in this exclusive club.

Does anyone know if Martina is the only player to have accomplished this so far?

Olórin
Nov 3rd, 2009, 06:42 PM
I'd say it's quite likely Serena will do it. In fact, as she won the last Grand Slam of the 90's she may win the first of the 10's. :)

KournikovaFan91
Nov 3rd, 2009, 06:44 PM
If only Steffi waited another year, she could have done it.

misael
Nov 3rd, 2009, 06:55 PM
If you win your first slam in 99 it's alot easier to do then if you won your first slam in 2001. I still think Chris Evert record of 13 consecutive years with at least 1 slam is incredible and probably will stand the test of time.

BlameSerena
Nov 3rd, 2009, 07:10 PM
If you win your first slam in 99 it's alot easier to do then if you won your first slam in 2001. I still think Chris Evert record of 13 consecutive years with at least 1 slam is incredible and probably will stand the test of time.

Good point, but '99 is still part of the nineties, so it counts. And there's only been one other player to do it, so it can't be that easy.

Chrissie :worship:
13 consecutive years with at least 1 is a great stat.

Aaric
Nov 3rd, 2009, 07:39 PM

This

Tamus
Nov 3rd, 2009, 08:28 PM
Alright, here's my Bud Collins moment:

Blanche Bingley won Wimbledon titles in the 1880s, 1890s, and 1900s ('86, '89, '94, '97' '99, and '00)

Nancye Wynne Bolton won Australian titles in the 1930s, '40s, and '50s ('37, '40, '46, '47, '48, and '51)

Also, in addition to Serena, Mary Pierce could still achieve this feat ('95 Australian, '00 French) ;)

Pureracket
Nov 3rd, 2009, 08:29 PM
Good point, but '99 is still part of the nineties, so it counts. And there's only been one other player to do it, so it can't be that easy.

.Truth!

Cam'ron Giles
Nov 3rd, 2009, 08:56 PM
Alright, here's my Bud Collins moment:

Blanche Bingley won Wimbledon titles in the 1880s, 1890s, and 1900s ('86, '89, '94, '97' '99, and '00)

Nancye Wynne Bolton won Australian titles in the 1930s, '40s, and '50s ('37, '40, '46, '47, '48, and '51)

Also, in addition to Serena, Mary Pierce could still achieve this feat ('95 Australian, '00 French) ;)
Not pit pat tennis...Big babe..hard hitting...blast a b!tch off the court..hard grunting...pull the ball out your panties...slam a ace before the b!tch even raise her head...I'll shove this f@cking ball down your throat...bitch i'm from Compton...so what bitch i'm form Krakow and I crack hoes...Cocaine busting...sex in the locker room...find a gun in your tennis bag during TTC bag check...kind a tennis...:o
Come to think of it....Chrissie dont cut it...:scratch:

Illusionist
Nov 3rd, 2009, 09:25 PM
Well, if she continues with this kind of motivation on Slams, she'll most likely do it.

Vanity Bonfire
Nov 3rd, 2009, 09:27 PM
Not pit pat tennis...Big babe..hard hitting...blast a b!tch off the court..hard grunting...pull the ball out your panties...slam a ace before the b!tch even raise her head...I'll shove this f@cking ball down your throat...bitch i'm from Compton...so what bitch i'm form Krakow and I crack hoes...Cocaine busting...sex in the locker room...find a gun in your tennis bag during TTC bag check...kind a tennis...:o

Sorry, but, what?

In The Zone
Nov 3rd, 2009, 10:35 PM
Davenport can win the '10 USO and complete this, too. :)

Pureracket
Nov 3rd, 2009, 10:51 PM
Come to think of it....Chrissie dont cut it...:scratch:That's hot!

charmedRic
Nov 3rd, 2009, 11:43 PM

LOL was Compton even on the map back then??

The Kaz
Nov 3rd, 2009, 11:46 PM

Do you need a hug? *hugs the calm the psycho down* :hug:

Valanga
Nov 3rd, 2009, 11:53 PM

seconded.

madlove
Nov 4th, 2009, 12:29 AM
she'd do it... but winning a slam in the 1999 us open? thats like the last gs of the decade. -.-

Imperfect Angel
Nov 4th, 2009, 01:29 AM
With her smart scheduling these years (tanking MM events and focusing only on big events, and playing much less than any other players to avoid burn out), I will be most surprised if she couldn't do it.:)

Sam L
Nov 4th, 2009, 08:05 AM

Yes but she didn't. :confused:

KournikovaFan91
Nov 4th, 2009, 11:35 AM
I was just making a comment that she shouldn't have retired in 1999. It hardly required a quote and a :confused:. :rolleyes:

SAEKeithSerena
Nov 4th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Yes but she didn't. :confused:

:lol::lol::lol:

Philbo
Nov 4th, 2009, 04:02 PM

When will the Graf fans ever stop with their 'What If's. We need to stick to what actually happened only!

Kournikovafan - Forgive me, my post isnt really aimed at you, moreso the plethora of Graf fans who live in denial about the stabbing and use the above line to remain in their denial etc..

misael
Nov 4th, 2009, 04:28 PM
I will also say Serena has won slams in 6 out of the last 11 years. That's pretty good!!!

Tamus
Nov 4th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Davenport can win the '10 USO and complete this, too. :)

True that. I can't believe I forgot about Linds.

irma
Nov 4th, 2009, 04:40 PM
When will the Graf fans ever stop with their 'What If's. We need to stick to what actually happened only!

Kournikovafan - Forgive me, my post isnt really aimed at you, moreso the plethora of Graf fans who live in denial about the stabbing and use the above line to remain in their denial etc..

I don't think Nav winning her first slam at wimbledon 78 and her last slam in wimbledon 1990 is a better achievement then Steffi winning her first slam at the french 87 and her last at the french 99, same for Evert between the french 74 and french 86. It's all winning slams over 12 years.
Nav on the other hand of course won slams over 30 years when you include doubles and mixed now that's something the others can't match!

Tamus
Nov 4th, 2009, 04:41 PM

A Seles fan complaining about Graf fans saying "What if". Oh, the irony :haha:

Cam'ron Giles
Nov 4th, 2009, 05:20 PM

:tape::help:

Philbo
Nov 5th, 2009, 10:08 AM

Ummm yeah, thats the joke!! Well done on spotting the irony!!!

zvonarevarulz
Nov 5th, 2009, 03:01 PM

This.

Denise4925
Nov 5th, 2009, 06:07 PM

:haha: :haha: :haha:

MrSerenaWilliams
Nov 5th, 2009, 06:45 PM

you've been reading too many Zane novels :haha:

MrSerenaWilliams
Nov 5th, 2009, 06:58 PM

Which major in 2000+ was she going to win? :scratch:

manu32
Nov 5th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Which major in 2000+ was she going to win? :scratch:

RG French open ,of course....

MrSerenaWilliams
Nov 5th, 2009, 07:38 PM
RG French open ,of course....
:shrug: I dunno. I don't think she would have beaten Mary :shrug:

Kunal
Nov 5th, 2009, 10:44 PM
thats a sweet ass record to go for!

KournikovaFan91
Nov 5th, 2009, 10:55 PM
:shrug: I dunno. I don't think she would have beaten Mary :shrug:

The draws would all have been completly different with Steffi, the entire results of everything could have been different. Rankings of players would have been different too with Steffi beating some etc. so you really couldn't be sure what would happen or who would even have been in that final.