PDA

View Full Version : The GS committe did a horrible job habdling the Serena sit.

debopero
Nov 3rd, 2009, 04:17 PM
just saying..
this took way too long

BlameSerena
Nov 3rd, 2009, 04:21 PM
Why hasn't the ITF made a decision about Serena's suspension?

By Chris Chase

It's been 51 days since Serena Williams threatened an official at the U.S. Open, yet there's still no word from the International Tennis Federation as to whether the 11-time Grand Slam champion will be suspended from any tournaments as a result of the tirade. The WTA's chief executive said three weeks ago that the investigation was "ongoing" and that a decision was expected by the end of the year. Our question: What's taking so long?

This isn't the Warren Commission. There aren't any grassy knolls or magic bullets or vague connections to Frank Sinatra. The lineswoman called a foot fault, Serena yelled, was assessed the point penalty and the match was over. That's it. From start to finish the incident took less than three minutes. Other than talking to Serena, the lineswoman and, perhaps, the chair umpire, what else is there to investigate? It's not like any new information is going to come to light.

With the WTA season completed, it may not seem like a big deal for the ITF to prolong the investigation now. (Even though, as stated above, there's no reason for them to.) But it's better for the organization to make a decision as quickly as possible. As wrong as she was, Serena doesn't deserve to be strung along for three months.

Waiting also could do damage to tournament organizers in Australia. The Open isn't going to see too much of an effect if Serena is suspended since those tickets will sell regardless. But Serena has already committed to a tournament in Sydney the week before. She will be the main selling point and organizers will doubtlessly be marketing the women's tournament around her. If Serena is barred from playing in the major, there's not much chance of her making the trip to Australia for a tune-up event.

Williams was fined $10,000 at the U.S. Open after the outburst, the maximum on-site penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct. This current investigation was said to have begun that same night by Bill Babcock, the top administrator for Grand Slam tournaments.

It continues today. If the ITF has any sense, it won't continue much longer.

markdelaney
Nov 3rd, 2009, 06:26 PM
It is ludicrous and the fine should have been enough. She got emotional, lost her temper and apologised. That should be the end of it

Dawn Marie
Nov 3rd, 2009, 07:24 PM
When Federer cussed on TV nothing happened. It's a joke.

Imho, the lineswomen needed her flat ass kicked for making that retarded call! ITF should give a fine and call it a day. If she can't play a grandslam then that will be stupid, bias and racist on the ITF's part. So many players in the past lost their cool on the court. Just cause Serena is black and the lineswomen was frightened(YEAH RIGHT) doesn't mean Serena should not be able to compete. Fine her and move on already!

misael
Nov 3rd, 2009, 07:57 PM
Federer recieved a fine as well.

misael
Nov 3rd, 2009, 07:59 PM
I'am so tired of people putting the blame on the lineswomen, she has one job to do , look at the lines and that's what she did,even Serena said she probably did touch the line. Anyway just make the fine a little bigger , donate it to some tennis charity and then move on.

Vartan
Nov 3rd, 2009, 08:13 PM
Stop using the race card.

ZODIAC
Nov 3rd, 2009, 08:28 PM
Serena s tirade is not as bad as Aggassi s dope fiend ways,and the worst part is he lied to the doping agency.This Open thingy will just go away soon...no fine no suspension...probably just a warning thats it haters.

Dave B
Nov 3rd, 2009, 10:03 PM
This is such an emotionally charged issue....

The point of the thread, regardless of opinions about how severe her punishment should be, the call, and allegations of racism, is whether the ITF has any reason for this investigation to be taking such a long time. As I see it, they don't. Decide ITF. :wavey:

Vanity Bonfire
Nov 3rd, 2009, 10:09 PM

Imho, the lineswomen needed her flat ass kicked for making that retarded call! ITF should give a fine and call it a day. If she can't play a grandslam then that will be stupid, bias and racist on the ITF's part. So many players in the past lost their cool on the court. Just cause Serena is black and the lineswomen was frightened(YEAH RIGHT) doesn't mean Serena should not be able to compete. Fine her and move on already!

What a narrow-minded view.

drake3781
Nov 3rd, 2009, 10:16 PM
I agree that this should have been decided within a week at most. And the fact that it has taken so long really should mean there is not a very severe penalty. If ITF had thought it was very severe, tehn action should have been taken immediately to create a message to all watching that This Will Not Be Tolerated. I think they should have. But since they haven't, it becomes very difficult to do it so much later.

That being said, I don't agree that we just need to move on, that the line call was incorrect, that Serena's race should have any thing to do with it, or any of the other :weirdo: posts about the incident itself.

drake3781
Nov 3rd, 2009, 10:20 PM
What a narrow-minded view.

Not only narrow minded, but wrong. The lines woman clearly was not frightened. Anybody who watches the video can see that for him/herself. Even when the lines woman ran to the chair the second time, it may appear that she was running away from Serena coming back for more. But actually the chair had called the lines woman back over to her. If you watch the lines woman when Serena confronted her each time, you can see she is not frightened. No matter what Serena's race. :rolleyes:

The point is not what the lines woman though of Serena's actions. It is the disgraceful behavior and poor sportsmanship demonstrated to all in attendance and all watching the match on TV, and all who saw film of the incident later. Embarrassing to the sport, and unacceptable.

Vanity Bonfire
Nov 3rd, 2009, 10:25 PM
Not only narrow minded, but wrong. The lines woman clearly was not frightened. Anybody who watches the video can see that for him/herself. Even when the lines woman ran to the chair the second time, it may appear that she was running away from Serena coming back for more. But actually the chair had called the lines woman back over to her. If you watch the lines woman when Serena confronted her each time, you can see she is not frightened. No matter what Serena's race. :rolleyes:

The point is not what the lines woman though of Serena's actions. It is the disgraceful behavior and poor sportsmanship demonstrated to all in attendance and all watching the match on TV, and all who saw film of the incident later. Embarrassing to the sport, and unacceptable.

Oh absolutely. I doubt the lineswoman was thoroughly placid. Sure, she didn't scream and cry, but I'm sure I would've found Serena's actions intimidating if I had been in the same situation.

Pureracket
Nov 3rd, 2009, 10:31 PM

The point is not what the lines woman though of Serena's actions. It is the disgraceful behavior and poor sportsmanship demonstrated to all in attendance and all watching the match on TV, and all who saw film of the incident later. Embarrassing to the sport, and unacceptable.Are these kinds of sanctimonious posts going to ever end? :confused::tape:

canuckfan
Nov 3rd, 2009, 10:31 PM
Serena s tirade is not as bad as Aggassi s dope fiend ways,and the worst part is he lied to the doping agency.This Open thingy will just go away soon...no fine no suspension...probably just a warning thats it haters.

I agree. I hope he gets suspended for that. It would be an injustice if Agassi is allowed to play the Australian Open and not Serena!!! :mad:

ZODIAC
Nov 4th, 2009, 12:30 AM
I agree. I hope he gets suspended for that. It would be an injustice if Agassi is allowed to play the Australian Open and not Serena!!! :mad:the most important thing is he lied to the doping agency and for many years he lived with that lie...he is not regretting that decision because he waited twelve years to reveal this secret when he knows they will not be penalties,and as always he is being excused in the court of public opinion because of his gender and race.:p

LightWarrior
Nov 4th, 2009, 01:45 AM
It's mean, vicious and totally unprofessional from the ITF. But honestly I'm sure that Serena has known their decision for a long time (meaning no ban). Otherwise she wouldn't have tried so hard at YEC.

miffedmax
Nov 4th, 2009, 02:24 AM
The ITF has painted itself into a corner through its inaction. If they hit Serena with a big penalty, they piss off a lot of people because honestly, at this point, I think a lot of people are pretty much over it and Serena will end up looking like a victim.

If they don't do anything, they look completely toothless because, let's face it, a $10,00 fine isn't enough.

They've put themselves in a lose/lose situation. Sort of like being a fan of Lena. With bangs.

Craig.
Nov 4th, 2009, 02:50 AM
The ITF has painted itself into a corner through its inaction. If they hit Serena with a big penalty, they piss off a lot of people because honestly, at this point, I think a lot of people are pretty much over it and Serena will end up looking like a victim.

If they don't do anything, they look completely toothless because, let's face it, a $10,00 fine isn't enough.

They've put themselves in a lose/lose situation. Sort of like being a fan of Lena. With bangs.

:spit: I love you Max :sobbing:

Chippy88
Nov 4th, 2009, 03:53 AM
Why hasn't the ITF made a decision about Serena's suspension?

...There aren't any grassy knolls or magic bullets or vague connections to Frank Sinatra...

This might end up as an Oliver Stone movie. :)

What logical reason is there that it should take so long?

Do they need the Benson and Stabler from from Law and Order on the case? ;)

Dragging it out is punishment in itself.

youizahoe
Nov 4th, 2009, 03:59 AM
I agree, they habdle the situation completely wrong. It's the WTA causing the ITF to habdle the situation wrong :sobbing:

gmokb
Nov 4th, 2009, 04:03 AM

I agree with you. I didn't see why they had to enter the discussion anyway. It was a WTA event and they peanlized Serena. That was where it all should have ended. However, like so many people with a little power, ITF decided to flex its muscle and now is in a bind, how do you ban the main attraction/#1 player and defending champ from the AO slam?

Babolatpro880
Nov 4th, 2009, 04:07 AM

That wasn't a "humble" opinion. It was an ignorant one.

Babolatpro880
Nov 4th, 2009, 04:09 AM
As the article said, though, whatever the decision is that the ITF makes, it really should have been made already, and should not be drawn out any longer than necessary.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Nov 4th, 2009, 04:33 AM
Stop using the race card.

And can people also stop using "race card"? One of the most ignorant and over used phrases ever.

Epigone
Nov 4th, 2009, 04:36 AM
I agree with you. I didn't see why they had to enter the discussion anyway. It was a WTA event and they peanlized Serena. That was where it all should have ended. However, like so many people with a little power, ITF decided to flex its muscle and now is in a bind, how do you ban the main attraction/#1 player and defending champ from the AO slam?The US Open is an ITF event.

skanky~skanketta
Nov 4th, 2009, 04:41 AM

Agree with the Federer bit.

But the lineswoman was doing her job. And it was NOT a retarded call. Fact is, none of us can tell because we couldn't view it properly. So it's not in your place to say whether it was right or wrong. It was the lineswomans place.

That said, let this thing end already. Serena apologized, and she paid her fine. And as much as some may hate her, she is the best player right now. She won 3 BIG titles and she's rightfully (and finally) the world #1! Suspending her from the Australian Open would be ridiculous seeing that not only is she the #1 and has one of the biggest drawing powers, she's also the bloody defending champion! Plus, she has the best record in Australia compared to anyone else on tour right now. Suspending her would be a travesty.

saki
Nov 4th, 2009, 11:28 AM
I think they've delayed over it for so long because they want people to have forgotten about it by the time that they reach a decision. If they'd given her a fine a couple of days or a week after it happened, there would have been loads of columnists saying that it was too lenient. If they do that after having waited for ages, there will still be a few commentators who will think it's too lenient but, mostly, it just won't be news anymore. Basically, they don't want to ban her and they know that if they take their time over giving her a fine, everyone will have lost interest in it.

Apart from anything else, I think it would be unfair to the other players if she were banned from the AO. She's been by far the best player on tour recently and whoever won in her absence would have to face a load of "would you have beaten Serena?" questions and that wouldn't really be fair on them.

markdelaney
Nov 4th, 2009, 11:40 AM
why all this fuss anyway ? Serena wasn't thrown out of the tournament. She got a point penalty.

If it was so bad then an immediate disqualification, rather than a point penalty would have been the result and then they would have been justified in issuing a ban.

I think the delay is because they have backed themselves into a corner over nothing and don't know what to do.

ZODIAC
Nov 4th, 2009, 11:47 AM
they have no ground to ban her,when they have Caro s incident on the table,Aggassi s revelations and Wickmeyer hiding from the doping agency.It will be highly suspicious to suspend her when they not doing anything about the above mentiomned incidents.

Vlover
Nov 4th, 2009, 02:25 PM
they have no ground to ban her,when they have Caro s incident on the table,Aggassi s revelations and Wickmeyer hiding from the doping agency.It will be highly suspicious to suspend her when they not doing anything about the above mentiomned incidents.
It is ironic that Andre's admission that he got away with drug use is more damaging to the sport than screaming at a line judge.:lol:

MrSerenaWilliams
Nov 4th, 2009, 02:35 PM
I agree with those that say that the amount of time they've waited, puts them in an unenviable position. If they wanted to make an example of her, the action should have been more decisive.

If they do anything now, they'll look dumb. If they don't do anything, they'll look weak.

And to those of you with a HUGE chip on your shoulder who are still trying to villify Serena for what she did, get over yourself. She's a human being, a very kind, decent, and generous one at that. She made a horrible set of decisions, for which she has profusely apologized.

The only person who has any right to still be angry with Serena, at this juncture, is the lineswoman...who, as far as I'm concerned, has been suspiciously quietam

ZODIAC
Nov 4th, 2009, 04:43 PM
It is ironic that Andre's admission that he got away with drug use is more damaging to the sport than screaming at a line judge.:lol:what are they investigating its not like Serena has a history of screaming at the linesjudges in fact she has often been a victim of biased officiating .I think the pressure to sanction her came from the USA media the same media that is condoning Aggassi drugging.
Aggassi brings to light that if you are higher ranked white male you can get away with anything without recourse,they are excusing his behavior left and right.McEnroe was also outed by his wife Tatum O Neal in her memoir and she said they used to snort cocaine together and that he confessed to her that he took PED but no one believed her.

thrust
Nov 4th, 2009, 04:58 PM
I'am so tired of people putting the blame on the lineswomen, she has one job to do , look at the lines and that's what she did,even Serena said she probably did touch the line. Anyway just make the fine a little bigger , donate it to some tennis charity and then move on.

I agree! To ban Serena from the AO would be overkill and bad for the game. I doubt it will happen.

miffedmax
Nov 5th, 2009, 04:02 AM
I agree with those that say that the amount of time they've waited, puts them in an unenviable position. If they wanted to make an example of her, the action should have been more decisive.

If they do anything now, they'll look dumb. If they don't do anything, they'll look weak.

And to those of you with a HUGE chip on your shoulder who are still trying to villify Serena for what she did, get over yourself. She's a human being, a very kind, decent, and generous one at that. She made a horrible set of decisions, for which she has profusely apologized.

The only person who has any right to still be angry with Serena, at this juncture, is the lineswoman...who, as far as I'm concerned, has been suspiciously quietam

I'm pretty sure linespeople's public statements are limited to "Out" and "Fault." They're not really supposed to talk to the media.

Even saying something like "Nice bangs, Lena" could get you in trouble. So I wouldn't read anything into her silence. She's behaving professionally.

Which is good.

moby
Nov 5th, 2009, 04:19 AM
I think they've delayed over it for so long because they want people to have forgotten about it by the time that they reach a decision. If they'd given her a fine a couple of days or a week after it happened, there would have been loads of columnists saying that it was too lenient. If they do that after having waited for ages, there will still be a few commentators who will think it's too lenient but, mostly, it just won't be news anymore. Basically, they don't want to ban her and they know that if they take their time over giving her a fine, everyone will have lost interest in it.This is how I'm interpreting their inaction too.
There would be an outcry if they were to just outright ban her too, because quite frankly, a suspension would be too much.
Better to wait until it fades from memory. I wouldn't be surprised if Serena herself is in the loop on this course of action.

ZODIAC
Nov 6th, 2009, 03:44 PM
They have left the decision to that Bobcock and we will know within the next week the outcome,I still feel like she wont be sanctioned but will be warned.

miffedmax
Nov 6th, 2009, 04:44 PM
After many long hours of thought and consideration, I believe I have come up with an ideal solution.

Serena will be forced to go on a worldwide satellite TV feed, live from ITF headquarters.

Flanked by Oracene and Richard, in front of a tasteful, logo-free background, she will have to read a simple, two-word statement.

"Exhibitions count."

End of story.

Lena's bangs.

BuTtErFrEnA
Nov 6th, 2009, 05:48 PM
and she will declare as well:

exhibitions count...bangs are ugly

:angel:

kiwifan
Nov 6th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Imagine if Serena had done this. :devil:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5SkbQF0-Ig

second post. :tape:

miffedmax
Nov 6th, 2009, 07:18 PM
and she will declare as well:

exhibitions count...bangs are ugly

:angel:

She's not gonna say that while she's sporting the damn nice bangs she's got right now.

Very near Lena-good.

VishaalMaria
Nov 6th, 2009, 07:32 PM
I think they've delayed over it for so long because they want people to have forgotten about it by the time that they reach a decision. If they'd given her a fine a couple of days or a week after it happened, there would have been loads of columnists saying that it was too lenient. If they do that after having waited for ages, there will still be a few commentators who will think it's too lenient but, mostly, it just won't be news anymore. Basically, they don't want to ban her and they know that if they take their time over giving her a fine, everyone will have lost interest in it.

Apart from anything else, I think it would be unfair to the other players if she were banned from the AO. She's been by far the best player on tour recently and whoever won in her absence would have to face a load of "would you have beaten Serena?" questions and that wouldn't really be fair on them.

Justine would definitely have beaten Serena.

darrinbaker00
Nov 6th, 2009, 07:38 PM

I saw that on the news last night. The Mountain West Conference obviously used WWE referees for that game. ;)

miffedmax
Nov 6th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Justine would definitely have beaten Serena.

It's a well-known fact from this board that any player who doesn't show up for a slam tournament would have inevitably won it.

I'm thinking Lena's best hope for winning a slam is to stop showing up and then claim a victory. I'm pretty sure she inherits Ai's status as the player with the most consecutive slam appearances--and Ai didn't win any either.

You know, with my insight and clarity, I'm surprised the phone isn't ringing off the hook with WTA players asking me to ruin run their careers. And for advice on bangs like Lena's.

BuTtErFrEnA
Nov 6th, 2009, 08:07 PM
She's not gonna say that while she's sporting the damn nice bangs she's got right now.

Very near Lena-good.

she's wearing them to smash your dream :devil:

serena: o0o0o look at me Max...I'm winning major titles AND I have bangs

miffedmax
Nov 6th, 2009, 08:22 PM
But Lena has an Olympic Gold. And a Diamond Aces Award. And she had bangs in 2000...

:bigcry: I lose again.

kiwifan
Nov 6th, 2009, 08:28 PM
I saw that on the news last night. The Mountain West Conference obviously used WWE referees for that game. ;)

We're pretty liberal with the fouls in Jersey soccer and I still saw at least 3 red card offenses...I personally think the charging into the back of #7s thigh was worse than the poni-tail body slam and the karate chop to the face at the end. :tape:

miffedmax
Nov 6th, 2009, 08:37 PM
:inlove: Elizabeth Lambert. :inlove: She's up there with the Czarina of bangs...

For the record, ANYTHING a defender does to a forward is not only justified, but holy.

BuTtErFrEnA
Nov 6th, 2009, 09:05 PM
so you like a defender who does those things don't you ;)

kiwifan
Nov 6th, 2009, 10:11 PM
:inlove: Elizabeth Lambert. :inlove: She's up there with the Czarina of bangs...

For the record, ANYTHING a defender does to a forward is not only justified, but holy.

I was a forward in college so I didn't NOT notice the forwards throwing cute little elbows and pulling shorts but Ms. Lambert clearly goes for the nuclear option when it is time to retaliate. :scared:

I do. :tape:

:bolt:

miffedmax
Nov 6th, 2009, 11:04 PM

I WAS a defender who did those things. Well, some of them.

Never had a chance to do the ponytail thing. I :worship: Elizabeth. Of course, if she tried that on Lena's bangs...

Oh, who am I kidding. Liz could kick my ass.

SV_Fan
Nov 6th, 2009, 11:38 PM
trying to build suspense :shrug:

HRHoliviasmith
Nov 6th, 2009, 11:49 PM

OH.MY.GOD. i heard about this but I'm like :eek: now that I actually see it. how did anyone not get sent off? is that how ya'll roll in soccer? :scared:

thrust
Nov 6th, 2009, 11:50 PM
But Lena has an Olympic Gold. And a Diamond Aces Award. And she had bangs in 2000...

:bigcry: I lose again.

Enough about Lena's bangs-Grow up already!

kiwifan
Nov 7th, 2009, 12:21 AM
OH.MY.GOD. i heard about this but I'm like :eek: now that I actually see it. how did anyone not get sent off? is that how ya'll roll in soccer? :scared:

My New Jersey high school league was thuggish; it was hard to get a straight red card. ;) But almost everything she did would have gotten her a yellow even in that league and the last one where she hit #7 in the face with one hand and in the back of the head with her other hand, while a wonderfully coordinated act of thuggery would probably have achieved the rare straight red card.

College was softer but they really let us get away with "shoulder charges" you could pretty much knock the crap out of anyone as long as you kept your arms down and the ball was somewhere in the picture" :p

When I left New Jersey and started playing in Virginia you would have thought I was a serial killer with some of the reactions my play got...and it was clean just aggressive (if you can knock someone down clean, you did it). :shrug:

But now that I'm older and more fragile and in Califoria playing with other older people, I tend to pass earlier. On 50-50 balls, I reach in, instead of running through the player like I used to. Every once in a while if some little waterbug of a player puts a move on me, I'll revert to form. :devil:

miffedmax
Nov 7th, 2009, 01:50 AM
'mericans who don't play soccer really don't understand how much of a contact sport it really is. I've broken my leg twice, my wrist once and my jaw once.

That's why I finally quit and only play tennis now. And drool over Lena's bangs.