PDA

View Full Version : French Open Could Leave Roland Garros

SAISAI-GOAT
Nov 3rd, 2009, 02:15 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylt=AgTSyjhDIx9ytXvW79Upzao4v7YF?slug=reu-frenchgarros&prov=reuters&type=lgns

:eek: maybe French Open move to China :p or Dubai ;) or Doha :)

Julian.
Nov 3rd, 2009, 02:17 PM
I heard they are considering Disneyland?

matthias
Nov 3rd, 2009, 02:18 PM
I heard they are considering Disneyland?

yes, i heard it too
to build a complete new venue near Euro-Disney

move it outside france would destroy all, so i guess this are just rumours to make pressure on the FFT to build a new venue

youizahoe
Nov 3rd, 2009, 02:19 PM
French open will stay in France.

Soliloque
Nov 3rd, 2009, 02:33 PM
They aren't serious, they are saying this all the time but they can't forget the weight of memories and history. The French Open will stay at Roland Garros cause RG rocks !

améliemomo
Nov 3rd, 2009, 02:39 PM
History has No Price so no way it will move outside of Paris.

They ll find a solution... or not.:rolleyes:

Fantasy Hero
Nov 3rd, 2009, 02:53 PM
well...i knew that Madrid open's chief asked the ITF/WTA/ATP to make Madrid the 5th grand slam or to take the place of the FO :o
hopefully FO and RG will be the same in the future

cellophane
Nov 3rd, 2009, 03:06 PM
SEWTA GoldenFlowerOpen?

KournikovaFan91
Nov 3rd, 2009, 03:20 PM
Luckily the ITF run these and not WTA or Doha/ Dubai would probably be a GS. :rolleyes:

madmax
Nov 3rd, 2009, 03:22 PM
yuo, seems like China and their money are pushing for the slam...Beijing Open, sounds about right:devil:

Elisse
Nov 3rd, 2009, 03:23 PM
Nooooooooo :eek: :eek: :eek: :sad:

OMG......French Open outside of Roland Garros would be death....that would be truly sad!! My favorite Slam...and they want to destroy it :sad:

LudwigDvorak
Nov 3rd, 2009, 03:24 PM
I heard it'll be in Na's backyard. Anyone have any confirmation on this?

olympus28
Nov 3rd, 2009, 03:25 PM
No way :mad:

Elisse
Nov 3rd, 2009, 03:25 PM
yes, i heard it too
to build a complete new venue near Euro-Disney

Ohhh.......a true 'Mickey Mouse' Slam :o :tape: :sad:

SAEKeithSerena
Nov 3rd, 2009, 03:28 PM
The French Open is NOT leaving France. guarantee you they will find a way to make this work.

fufuqifuqishahah
Nov 3rd, 2009, 03:29 PM
TBH, I dont really care, just as long as they keep it RED CLAY. If it changes to anything (even green clay) that would surely destroy clay tennis.

timafi
Nov 3rd, 2009, 03:31 PM
it will stay in Paris:shrug:

MBM
Nov 3rd, 2009, 03:33 PM
the last i heard was that they were just gonna build a new court with a roof nearby but not on the same site, so chatrier would become the #2 best court

A-Min
Nov 3rd, 2009, 03:41 PM
if the french federation of tennis don't built another stade, the French Open will probably move to Madrid !

Optima
Nov 3rd, 2009, 03:46 PM
I will die if it leaves Paris, that would be just bullshit..especially if they moved it to China, or something.

:unsure: :explode:

Joe.
Nov 3rd, 2009, 03:47 PM
IMO is there really need for 3 courts with roofs anyway :confused:

DragonFlame
Nov 3rd, 2009, 03:50 PM
Moving it out of RG would break it's history... I really hope they'll get that extensionplan running.

And i really don't want to see a retractable roof.. Claytennis just has to be in the open. Wet clay is just part of it all. What they should do, is get lights, so they dont have darkness messing with the tourney! :o

hankqq
Nov 3rd, 2009, 04:23 PM
I think the FFT is just trying to call the Paris City Council's bluff :shrug: I really don't think they'll move the location of the FO.

SAISAI-GOAT
Nov 3rd, 2009, 04:24 PM
yes $$$ is more important these day in sport ... I think real possibility that FO move to Madrid :eek:

Julian.
Nov 3rd, 2009, 05:44 PM
How could it be "French Open" if it's not in France? :spit:

Julian.
Nov 3rd, 2009, 05:48 PM
^ Spanish Open

They can't name it Roland Garros since it is leaving Roland Garros

Julian.
Nov 3rd, 2009, 05:53 PM
Isn't Roland Garros a person?

Yeah but he is French.

Talula
Nov 3rd, 2009, 05:55 PM
I will never ever follow tennis again if it is moved. Anyway, it can't be the French Open if it leaves France. By all means have a 5th slam - I actually think that would be good for the sport as it would encompass a continent not currently represented. However, to remove Roland Garros (my favourite slam and the one I always go to) would destroy the history of the sport.

VIVE ROLAND GARROS AND VIVE LA FRANCE!

Sexysova
Nov 3rd, 2009, 05:58 PM
doubt it :spit:

frenchie
Nov 3rd, 2009, 06:04 PM
OMG

Now that I live in Paris, the FO is going to move....

madlove
Nov 3rd, 2009, 06:13 PM
Oh no way this is gonna happen! it has to stay in paris.

Galsen
Nov 3rd, 2009, 06:18 PM
OMG

Now that I live in Paris, the FO is going to move....

the same:o
but thanks God I live near Dinseyland too:lol:

iGOAT
Nov 3rd, 2009, 06:38 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylt=AgTSyjhDIx9ytXvW79Upzao4v7YF?slug=reu-frenchgarros&prov=reuters&type=lgns

:eek: maybe French Open move to China :p or Dubai ;) or Doha :)
Shut up you're so stupid :rolleyes: apparently you only read the title, not the rest of the article.

The FRENCH TENNIS FEDERATION wants to expand the grounds, but they might not be allowed, so they would buy new grounds.

Now, the FRENCH TENNIS FEDERATION would not move the FRENCH OPEN to another country. Get a brain.

Lucas_Arg
Nov 3rd, 2009, 08:10 PM
Won't happen.

Ryan
Nov 3rd, 2009, 08:11 PM
SEWTA GoldenFlowerOpen?

:sobbing: Please god no.

FORZA SARITA
Nov 3rd, 2009, 08:13 PM
move it to Disneyland so MM Queens will rule at FO :rocker:

VIKA?
Nov 3rd, 2009, 08:14 PM
:sobbing:

brickhousesupporter
Nov 3rd, 2009, 08:15 PM
I don't see the big deal in this. Both the Australian and US Open have move to better location to allow for the tournament to grow. It will not be a big deal if they move to another location.

Lucemferre
Nov 3rd, 2009, 08:18 PM
well...i knew that Madrid open's chief asked the ITF/WTA/ATP to make Madrid the 5th grand slam or to take the place of the FO :o
hopefully FO and RG will be the same in the future

Spanish jealousy strikes again :o

Arnian
Nov 3rd, 2009, 08:28 PM
It would NEVER EVER move out of France. They just want room to expand on the grounds of Roland Garros, so they can build a new stadium. They had approval from the Paris city council in the begining but now they are getting cold feet. If they can't get the approval from Paris, then they will move the tournament to a new location outside of Paris. It will and will always be the French Open.

Also, Madrid will never be a grand slam, just like Miami/Indian Wells will never be a grand slams, there are only 4 and should only be 4. There's too much history and prestige behind the 4.

Stamp Paid
Nov 3rd, 2009, 08:32 PM
LOL, will the rich oil sheiks in Dubai and Doha win this too?

Fantasy Hero
Nov 3rd, 2009, 08:43 PM
move it to Disneyland so MM Queens will rule at FO :rocker:

a slam for Flavia:p

Vanity Bonfire
Nov 3rd, 2009, 08:51 PM
I know they aren't going to take it out of Paris, but I would love to see a tournament on the Riviera. Maybe in Cannes or Nice or somewhere gorgeous like that, which just has so much history with all the tournaments that took place there until the Tour started.

*Sighs* Where Suzy would have played.

Wiggly
Nov 3rd, 2009, 10:19 PM
yes $$$ is more important these day in sport ... I think real possibility that FO move to Madrid :eek:

No. The French Federation is creating this rumor in order to put pressure on the government to give them sme $$$ to build a new stadium.

Jean-Henri
Nov 4th, 2009, 12:42 AM
Spin City

Either they will succeed and raise money for the new facilities = RG stays where it is
or
They will not succeed = RG stays where it is

LightWarrior
Nov 4th, 2009, 12:50 AM
No. The French Federation is creating this rumor in order to put pressure on the government to give them sme $$$ to build a new stadium.

What's the point of building a new stadium ? RG is no smaller than Wimbledon. Can you ever imagine Wimbledon being moved ? Of course not. Those rumours are bull.

duhcity
Nov 4th, 2009, 12:54 AM
What's the point of building a new stadium ? RG is no smaller than Wimbledon. Can you ever imagine Wimbledon being moved ? Of course not. Those rumours are bull.

It's not about size. None of them are going to trump Arthur Ashe.

Wimbledon upgraded Centre Court, with a beautiful roof and added seating, is redoing 2 or 3 of the smaller large courts, and spiffing the grounds. The US Open does smaller renovations every year. No idea about Australia.
The FFT wants to do that. They want a roof on Phillipe Chatrier probably, and be able to upgrade and expand Lenglen and Court 1.

Joana
Nov 4th, 2009, 12:56 AM
LOL, will the rich oil sheiks in Dubai and Doha win this too?

At the rate it's been going, I imagine by 2015 the whole tennis season will be split between Doha and Dubai, with occasional outings to Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou.

LightWarrior
Nov 4th, 2009, 01:13 AM
It's not about size. None of them are going to trump Arthur Ashe.

Wimbledon upgraded Centre Court, with a beautiful roof and added seating, is redoing 2 or 3 of the smaller large courts, and spiffing the grounds. The US Open does smaller renovations every year. No idea about Australia.
The FFT wants to do that. They want a roof on Phillipe Chatrier probably, and be able to upgrade and expand Lenglen and Court 1.

Arthur Ashe will never have a roof. And they can can expand Lenglen (just like they did with Chatrier), destroy and rebuild Court 1 (although that would be sad). I hate this competition between GS tournaments, it is stupid. RG is a GS and will remain so.