PDA

View Full Version : Does this article speak the truth?

neorules
Nov 2nd, 2009, 03:05 PM
http://www.tennisnews.com/exclusive.php?pID=29845

kiwifan
Nov 2nd, 2009, 03:19 PM
Who cares, it is just Fed Cup.

The author could have written a similar article about Sharapova a couple of years ago and plenty of player during every Olympic year. :yawn:

If they don't attach Fed Cup it to playing in the Olympics which everyone wants to do; you'll find less hypocrisy attached to "the illusion of keeping yourself available for Fed Cup" because certain top players simply wouldn't.

Cheers - :cool:

HRHoliviasmith
Nov 2nd, 2009, 03:23 PM
Charles Bricker is just a messy old man. Isn't he the one that went hunting for Alexandra Stevenson's birth certificate? whatever.

jefrilibra
Nov 2nd, 2009, 03:24 PM
Someone is really mad, bitter and pressed!:tape:

Snap outta it!

Tanja8
Nov 2nd, 2009, 06:34 PM
I agree with the article.
It doesn`t seem sincere to say how much it means to them to play for the United States - and then play in 4 (Serena) or 7 (Venus)out of 23 events.
It`s their decision ... I don`t care if it`s because of money or because the lack of patriotism ... it`s just not fair towards Bethanie, Alexa, Melanie and Jill: they worked hard to reach the final and they know that two of them would be dumped immediately if Serena and Venus decided they would play ...

And, yes, Šarapova is the same case. Even if she is my favourite. I don`t judge Katarina Srebotnik for not playing in Beijing last year (she said she would rather prepare for US Open etc.) - but personally I don`t like her decision.
So - I`m not only one of many Serena and Venus haters ...;)

Volcana
Nov 2nd, 2009, 06:51 PM
Does this article speak the truth?

At least on one issue. He says he doesn't care about Fed Cup. Why should I doubt him? A better question might be, if he doesn't care, why waste a thousnad words on it?
it`s just not fair towards Bethanie, Alexa, Melanie and Jill: they worked hard to reach the final and they know that two of them would be dumped immediately if Serena and Venus decided they would play ...Which is, of course, not a decision controlled by Venus or Serena. The USTA has every right to decide that if you don't play in the opening rounds, you can't play in the final.

kiwifan
Nov 2nd, 2009, 07:05 PM
NOTE: commentary below is not directed specifically at Tanja8.

I agree with the article.
It doesn`t seem sincere to say how much it means to them to play for the United States - and then play in 4 (Serena) or 7 (Venus)out of 23 events.
It`s their decision ... I don`t care if it`s because of money or because the lack of patriotism ... it`s just not fair towards Bethanie, Alexa, Melanie and Jill: they worked hard to reach the final and they know that two of them would be dumped immediately if Serena and Venus decided they would play ...

And, yes, Šarapova is the same case. Even if she is my favourite. I don`t judge Katarina Srebotnik for not playing in Beijing last year (she said she would rather prepare for US Open etc.) - but personally I don`t like her decision.
So - I`m not only one of many Serena and Venus haters ...;)

But then, if the "B-team" who deserve to play lose...guess who everyone is going to blame anyway? :lol: :tape:

Let's get this straight. :angel:

Fed Cup isn't a measure of how much you love your country. ;)

It is a measure of how much you love your country's tennis federation. :devil:

If you don't know the difference, stop posting. :help:

Denise4925
Nov 2nd, 2009, 07:55 PM
Charles Bricker :haha: :haha: :haha: His words are not worth the toilet tissue I wipe my ass with.

Tanja8
Nov 2nd, 2009, 08:01 PM
Let's get this straight. :angel:

[B]It is a measure of how much you love your country's tennis federation. :devil:
[COLOR=DarkRed]
If you don't know the difference, stop posting. :help:

Ok, so they should say in advance that they won`t play. Or are they hoping they would start to love their tennis federation?
They needn`t tell the reason - just tell that they won`t play. Tennis. They are "playing" with "yes" and "no" ... like a modest bride who doesn`t know what she wants.:lol:
(or anyway - until now I`m sure that US coach knows they won`t play whatever they say few weeks before;))

Volcana
Nov 2nd, 2009, 08:11 PM
Ok, so they should say in advance that they won`t play.Why? The USTA doesn't have to choose them.

Denise4925
Nov 2nd, 2009, 08:17 PM
Why do people who are not even from America all of a sudden care about the American Fed Cup team? And, why is it Serena all of a sudden and not Venus as well? I just don't get this suddent interest. Would it have mattered if Serena lost YEC, didn't receive a check that put her the most paid in a single season and she wasn't the year end No. 1?

Did anyone care when JenCap pulled her stunt with BJK?

ZODIAC
Nov 2nd, 2009, 08:28 PM
After the booing in New York and the way America has always hated on them I dont blame them at giving Mary Jo the finger after she was part of a group asking for Serena s head during the Open.

dreamgoddess099
Nov 2nd, 2009, 08:59 PM

Thank you.:worship: The Williams have been the face of American tennis and represented the country like no others for the past decade. Shameful how ungrateful these tennis folks are.

dreamgoddess099
Nov 2nd, 2009, 09:04 PM
Why? The USTA doesn't have to choose them.

If they didn't believe they cared about playing, why ask them to play?

gmokb
Nov 2nd, 2009, 11:11 PM
After the booing in New York and the way America has always hated on them I dont blame them at giving Mary Jo the finger after she was part of a group asking for Serena s head during the Open.

:worship::worship: That is why even though I am an American I was happy when both pulled out. American tennis organization and fans only remember that the Williamses are American when it's time to play Fed Cup or the Olympics. They are always willing and ready to cheer against them for other non-American players. Lets see them win this without a Williams, only sorry its not in the US so I could be there in person to cheer on Italy.

ZODIAC
Nov 3rd, 2009, 01:07 AM
:worship::worship: That is why even though I am an American I was happy when both pulled out. American tennis organization and fans only remember that the Williamses are American when it's time to play Fed Cup or the Olympics. They are always willing and ready to cheer against them for other non-American players. Lets see them win this without a Williams, only sorry its not in the US so I could be there in person to cheer on Italy.I WILL BE rooting for the Italians:tape::lol:and they will beat the Americans.The Italians get great support from their country and this will be on clay so it will be An Italian Job:tape:

neorules
Nov 3rd, 2009, 02:06 AM
I think a great many of the people posting here missed the point of the article. Which is this: The Williams Sisters are Insincere i.e. FAKE!! If you don't really care about playing for your country unless it serves a purpose for you, JUST SAY SO. I, as well as many who have followed the Girls have seen a pattern emerge. As juniors they Faked injuries whenever they were going to lose so pa could say they were undefeated. They were the first to Fake bathroom breaks and sometimes injury timeouts to attempt to change the momentum of a match. I was hoping they would avoid the influence in this regard of their Father as they grew older, but, apparently not. I think the article rings true.

Denise4925
Nov 3rd, 2009, 02:24 AM
I think a great many of the people posting here missed the point of the article. Which is this: The Williams Sisters are Insincere i.e. FAKE!! If you don't really care about playing for your country unless it serves a purpose for you, JUST SAY SO. I, as well as many who have followed the Girls have seen a pattern emerge. As juniors they Faked injuries whenever they were going to lose so pa could say they were undefeated. They were the first to Fake bathroom breaks and sometimes injury timeouts to attempt to change the momentum of a match. I was hoping they would avoid the influence in this regard of their Father as they grew older, but, apparently not. I think the article rings true.

:bs: :rolleyes:

gmokb
Nov 3rd, 2009, 02:56 AM

This has to be a joke:lol::lol:

gc-spurs
Nov 3rd, 2009, 04:49 AM

...and people will bitch and moan more.:help:

StephenUK
Nov 3rd, 2009, 10:26 AM
I think he is making a fair point. The sisters, having won the Fed Cup once, seem to have decided that they have been there, done that. They are being totally phoney about saying they want to play for their country when they clearly can't be bothered outside the Olympics.

I think it is a shame when top players don't play for their country. With some you can forgive it - I don't think Caroline Wozniacki is onto a winner with her other Danish teammates - but Serena and Venus don't need anyone else on their team to be a winner. I bet they play MacDonalds exhibition or whatever else they can do to rake in the cash instead.

I can't believe how some of the American posters trash their own country in their obsessive praise of the sisters. Maybe if the sisters don't like their country, they can come and play for the UK - I am sure they would be very welcome here! :hearts:

Dani12
Nov 3rd, 2009, 10:37 AM
I may have actually taken this article seriously if it weren't for the first paragraph.

bad_angel_109
Nov 3rd, 2009, 11:09 AM
interesting article but its just the opinion of 1 person - a nuff

serenafan08
Nov 3rd, 2009, 01:21 PM
If you really think that the Williams sisters don't like playing for America, then you've been seriously misled. They have carried the flag quite well longer than all their "compatriots," i.e. Seles, Davenport, and Capriati. Fed Cup doesn't determine whether or not a player loves their country. If that were the case there would be a lot of players who didn't love their country.

kiwifan
Nov 3rd, 2009, 01:37 PM
Ok, so they should say in advance that they won`t play. Or are they hoping they would start to love their tennis federation?
They needn`t tell the reason - just tell that they won`t play. Tennis. They are "playing" with "yes" and "no" ... like a modest bride who doesn`t know what she wants.:lol:
(or anyway - until now I`m sure that US coach knows they won`t play whatever they say few weeks before;))

This is a life lesson, not a tennis lesson.

There is power in "maybe".

"No" gives away your power and "Yes" creates obligations (except when "Yes" really means "maybe" which is what it usually means in both Sports and the Entertainment industry absent a contract - hint: I'm an Entertainment Lawyer ;) )

Politics, Politics, Politics.

If the Sisters don't play the game, asshole authors, the USTA and more likely Carillo and Austin can run around telling the public that "the Williams Sisters Hate America"...which they would love to do. :rolleyes: :p as long as you dangle the possibility, Carillo and Austin have to watch what they say...and remember the Williams Sisters have to play Fed Cup to play the Olympics and they clearly want to play in the Olympic Games...so they're is no gain is saying "no" or "yes" when "maybe I'll do it this time" is the best response.

As you've more than hinted, the USTA knows what's up and so do the Williams Sisters. The only ones "hurt" are the most naive of fans. :devil:

BuTtErFrEnA
Nov 3rd, 2009, 01:44 PM

:tape: if you said this with a straight face and believing it then you really don't know what you're talking about :tape: let's just say...the ws never played juniors :lol: so that ALONE stops your little rant

miffedmax
Nov 3rd, 2009, 03:12 PM
:worship::worship: That is why even though I am an American I was happy when both pulled out. American tennis organization and fans only remember that the Williamses are American when it's time to play Fed Cup or the Olympics. They are always willing and ready to cheer against them for other non-American players. Lets see them win this without a Williams, only sorry its not in the US so I could be there in person to cheer on Italy.

Guilty as charged, sort of. For me, 99% of the year, tennis is an individual sport, and I've supported players from my home country, my home state, my hometown, and the opposite side of the world. Depends on my mood and, of course, the player.

But when Fed Cup and Davis Cup roll around, hell yes, I wrap myself in the red, white and blue. The U.S. Fed Cup Team could be Susan Smith, Darlie Routier, Aileen Wuornos, and Dana Sue Gray and I'd still support it, even against my beloved Lena D who turns into the :devil: without bangs when she plays the U.S. at Fed Cup.

So while I'm not one to lambast Serena's decision, I am disappointed. I will give her, as I always do, the benefit of the doubt and assume that she knows her body and her situation and if she's not up to playing, then she's not up to playing. But I wish she would. And I don't feel like a hypocrite at all for wanting the best player we have to play for our country.

Good Lord, I can even stomach the sight of Landon Donovan in a US soccer kit. And he's a nauseating little dickweed.

neorules
Nov 3rd, 2009, 04:32 PM
Anarena--- Check the contents of this Quote from a article about the ws."Both Venus and Serena Williams would be taken to Compton area public tennis courts to practice when they were young, and they had to dodge bullets many times during the early practice days. When Serena was four and a half, she won her first tournament, and she entered 49 tournaments before the age of 10, winning 46 of them. At one point, she replaced sister Venus as the number one ranked tennis player aged 12 or under in California.In 1991, Richard Williams, saying that he hoped to prevent his daughters from facing racism, stopped sending them to national junior Tennis tournaments, and Serena attended a Tennis school run by professional player Ric Macci instead. Macci had already helped the careers of Jennifer Capriati and Mary Pierce, among others. Soon Richard, who had struck a deal on behalf of his daughters with a major clothing company, was able to move the rest of the Williams family to West Palm Beach, to be near Serena and Venus."I guess you really know your sh*t. I guess Serena's 49 + tourneys don't constitute jr tennis in your book.Also the Fake story about their dad being their only coach is kinda shot to hell as well.

Petersmiler
Nov 3rd, 2009, 05:59 PM
Anarena--- Check the contents of this Quote from a article about the ws."Both Venus and Serena Williams would be taken to Compton area public tennis courts to practice when they were young, and they had to dodge bullets many times during the early practice days. When Serena was four and a half, she won her first tournament, and she entered 49 tournaments before the age of 10, winning 46 of them. At one point, she replaced sister Venus as the number one ranked tennis player aged 12 or under in California.In 1991, Richard Williams, saying that he hoped to prevent his daughters from facing racism, stopped sending them to national junior Tennis tournaments, and Serena attended a Tennis school run by professional player Ric Macci instead. Macci had already helped the careers of Jennifer Capriati and Mary Pierce, among others. Soon Richard, who had struck a deal on behalf of his daughters with a major clothing company, was able to move the rest of the Williams family to West Palm Beach, to be near Serena and Venus."I guess you really know your sh*t. I guess Serena's 49 + tourneys don't constitute jr tennis in your book.Also the Fake story about their dad being their only coach is kinda shot to hell as well.

Ok, so to back up your original statement that the WS pulled out of junior events with fake injuries when they believed they would lose, you quote an article that states Serena won 46 out of 49 tournaments entered. Exactly when did she pull out with injuries if she won 46/49?

Denise4925
Nov 3rd, 2009, 06:26 PM
Ok, so to back up your original statement that the WS pulled out of junior events with fake injuries when they believed they would lose, you quote an article that states Serena won 46 out of 49 tournaments entered. Exactly when did she pull out with injuries if she won 46/49?

:lol: I guess those three left over.

markdelaney
Nov 3rd, 2009, 06:34 PM
I don't think Serena has to justify anything to him as far as what she has done for US tennis !

Vlover
Nov 3rd, 2009, 06:49 PM
They are being totally phoney about saying they want to play for their country when they clearly can't be bothered outside the Olympics.
There is enough "phony" to go around including the writer of this piece. He clearly stated he is not interested in Fed Cup and neither are most Americans so his fake indignation is just an opportunity to vent his vitriol against the Sisters. I have no doubt he was one of those Americans who were jumping for joy at the USO at the Sisters losses.:rolleyes:

I can't believe how some of the American posters trash their own country in their obsessive praise of the sisters.
Some of us put fairness and justice above fake patriotism. Patriotism doesn't mean some citizens should be treated like shit and you must accept it without criticism.:help: Speaking of "phoney", we can now use the excuse to root for the underdogs.:angel:

BuTtErFrEnA
Nov 3rd, 2009, 06:57 PM

oh man you ruined it for me!!! :rolls:

miffedmax
Nov 3rd, 2009, 07:36 PM

Okay. I'll admit my fave has the mental fortitude of a sponge cake. And that to be 28 and insisting your mom is your best friend is creepy. I'll even concede that she's past her prime and will never win a slam. And I might even slightly exaggerate how cute she is with bangs.

But I will NOT stand idly by and see someone ELSE given credit for ELENA DEMENTIEVA'S most IMPORTANT CONTRIBUTION to the game of tennis!!!:fiery::mad::fiery:

Elena is the one and only Czarina of Bathroom Breaks!!!!!!!!

Serena's bathroom breaks are fucking amateur hours. A Serena bathroom break is to a Lena bathroom break as a Vika tantrum is to a Myskina tantrum-- a pale imitation of an incomparable original.

Anyone who says otherwise is full of :bs: and needs serious :help:

clementine
Nov 3rd, 2009, 07:57 PM
After the booing in New York
She cursed at and physically threatened a lineswoman who was just doing her job. Sounds like a good reason to get booed for.

and the way America has always hated on them I dont blame them at giving Mary Jo the finger after she was part of a group asking for Serena s head during the Open.
I don't understand your logic. I'm always hearing how popular the Williams sisters are, the media for the most part fawns over them, and their matches are highest-rated on US TV. Then you turn around and declare that their entire home nation "hates on them". How can this be?

I think a great many of the people posting here missed the point of the article. Which is this: The Williams Sisters are Insincere i.e. FAKE!! If you don't really care about playing for your country unless it serves a purpose for you, JUST SAY SO.
This is true. Didn't Serena say she would play Fed Cup as long as she wasn't in a wheelchair? Well she's pulled out of Fed Cup and I don't see no wheelchair.

Vlover
Nov 3rd, 2009, 08:17 PM
I don't understand your logic. I'm always hearing how popular the Williams sisters are, the media for the most part fawns over them, and their matches are highest-rated on US TV. Then you turn around and declare that their entire home nation "hates on them". How can this be?
You don't understand because you are confusing the tennis establishment with most Americans. It is true that they have been consistently voted the favorite female atheletes and most viewed by regular people but that doesn't include the so called "true" tennis fans.:devil: Most Americans have no clue that Fed Cup exist. They see the Sisters winning Olympics and Championships on tv so that is all they care about.

BlameSerena
Nov 3rd, 2009, 08:21 PM
You don't understand because you are confusing the tennis establishment with most Americans. It is true that they have been consistently voted the favorite female atheletes and most viewed by regular people but that doesn't include the so called "true" tennis fans.:devil: Most Americans have no clue that Fed Cup exist. They see the Sisters winning Olympics on tv so that is all they care about.

Case in point would be Serena winning Glamour Magazine's Woman of the Year: Athlete.

http://www.glamour.com/women-of-the-year/2009/serena-williams

Denise4925
Nov 3rd, 2009, 08:41 PM
Okay. I'll admit my fave has the mental fortitude of a sponge cake. And that to be 28 and insisting your mom is your best friend is creepy. I'll even concede that she's past her prime and will never win a slam. And I might even slightly exaggerate how cute she is with bangs.

But I will NOT stand idly by and see someone ELSE given credit for ELENA DEMENTIEVA'S most IMPORTANT CONTRIBUTION to the game of tennis!!!:fiery::mad::fiery:

Serena's bathroom breaks are fucking amateur hours. A Serena bathroom break is to a Lena bathroom break as a Vika tantrum is to a Myskina tantrum-- a pale imitation of an incomparable original.

Anyone who says otherwise is full of :bs: and needs serious :help:

:lol::lol::lol: Seriously, I haven't seen Serena take a bathroom break during a match since 2000 or 2001 during I think it was the US Open against Kim Cljisters. I can't even recall exactly. I know that it was in the middle of play and her stomach was cramping her and she reeeeeeeeeeallly had to go, lest she have a messy accident on court. :lol:

Vlover
Nov 4th, 2009, 02:35 AM
Case in point would be Serena winning Glamour Magazine's Woman of the Year: Athlete.

Very nice, go Serena!:yeah: Serena is her best promoter, they can't stop her!:lol:

Denise4925
Nov 4th, 2009, 05:12 AM

:worship::worship::worship:

Volcana
Nov 4th, 2009, 05:17 AM
If they didn't believe they cared about playing, why ask them to play?Because they offer the best chance of a win. If Usain Bolt didn't care about a race, but there was a chance he'd run, would you ask him, or choose me? If you wanted to WIN the race, and you had the brains God gave a duck?

Volcana
Nov 4th, 2009, 05:26 AM
I think a great many of the people posting here missed the point of the article. Which is this: The Williams Sisters are Insincere i.e. FAKE!!We didn't MISS the point. We just don't think the author came close to proving the point. And neither have you.

I don't know what exactly is wrong with Venus' knee, but I know, from personal experience, that when they have to armor-up a joint that much, it's in trouble. Having your knee strapped like that is restrictive. It limits you. You only do that if the alternative is not playing. And she's been playing like that since Wimbledon.

YOU can call Venus 'fake' all you want. But if Venus IS totally selfish, there's no way she limits herself like that. 'Selfish' ie 'FAKE' doesn't sacrifice Wimbledon AND a YEC to preserve the illusion of an injury. AND if she IS injured, then is it worth playing Fed Cup or not?

This is where you answer

a) do you believe she's injured, or had she been 'FAKE'-ing it for six months?

and

b) if she IS injured, should she be playing Fed Cup?

kiwifan
Nov 4th, 2009, 09:26 AM

Anyone who says otherwise is full of :bs: and needs serious :help: Sorry, I think Demented is merely TOB when it comes to bathroom breaks. :devil:

I not only thought Anna K was the queen of the bathroom break...I remember her getting praise in the Miami final against Venus for taking a bathroom break...the commentator (who I assume was Carillo, but don't know for sure) called it a savvy veteran move. :rolleyes:

duhcity
Nov 4th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Much ado over nothing. Does it matter whether or not Serena or Venus want to play Fed Cup? And even if they don't, their agents aren't going to let them say it. Everything needs a positive spin.

Do you think Serena is actually sorry for yelling at the Lines woman, or if she stays awake every night because of what she said about Dinara?
No She's a grown woman who can make her own decisions. I don't like Serena usually, but that was just a crappy, rude article. Unless she goes and actually does something to attack the United States, it is wrong to attack her patriotism.

thrust
Nov 4th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Being an American of Italian descent, I would be happy if the Italian girls won this Fed Cup. However, I would be very happy to see the unsung American grils win too. The Williams, and other top stars, are in Fed or Davis Cup for the glory of the final round so it looks like only they won the cup. I would rather lose with the people who got us there. If it was not for them, we would not even be in the final round. Viva USA, Viva Italia!!