PDA

View Full Version : Serena smashes one of Justine's records

Lin Lin
Nov 2nd, 2009, 07:56 AM
Justine was the only female player to win more than 5 million prize money in one season in 2007,but Serena wins more than 6 million this year.:p

In The Zone
Nov 2nd, 2009, 07:57 AM
This is why Larry Scott put the Roadmap in place. He wanted Serena to break this record with higher prize money. He likes Serena more than Justine.

ElusiveChanteuse
Nov 2nd, 2009, 08:01 AM
:lol: Does this include appearance fee?:scratch:

SoClose
Nov 2nd, 2009, 10:32 AM
:banana::banana:

eck
Nov 2nd, 2009, 10:43 AM
It was bound to broken anyways.

Matt01
Nov 2nd, 2009, 11:04 AM
This is why Larry Scott put the Roadmap in place. He wanted Serena to break this record with higher prize money. He likes Serena more than Justine.

I'm spelling a conspiracy :mad: :p

Lin Lin
Nov 2nd, 2009, 11:42 AM
Serena wins 6.5million:eek::bigcry:

http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/page/PrizeMoneyRankings/0,,12781~0~1~100,00.html

ce
Nov 2nd, 2009, 11:46 AM

http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/page/PrizeMoneyRankings/0,,12781~0~1~100,00.html

as of october 26 :weirdo:

The Kaz
Nov 2nd, 2009, 01:22 PM
Its only due to the massive inflation this year. Means nothing.

Avid Merrion
Nov 2nd, 2009, 01:24 PM

:lol: Would you like some gin to go with that bitter lemon you're sucking on? :D

The Kaz
Nov 2nd, 2009, 01:25 PM
:lol: Would you like some gin to go with that bitter lemon you're sucking on? :D

Are you thread stalking me? :weirdo:

Bugger off.

Avid Merrion
Nov 2nd, 2009, 01:27 PM
Are you thread stalking me? :weirdo:

Bugger off.

Oh noes, I replied to two (make that three now) of your posts and I'm stalking you? :lol: Don't flatter yourself, honey :kiss:

ZODIAC
Nov 2nd, 2009, 01:30 PM
sour grapes:pshe can give you $10 000.00 to carry her rackets:rolleyes:especially when you clean toilets at your child s school...isnt $10000. your annual income.:p

Invisible Fan
Nov 2nd, 2009, 01:31 PM
Justine went 63-4 in 2007. Serena was like 50-12 or so this year. Justine won about 10 titles to Serena's three. Prize money must have gone up a bit in the last few years.

ZODIAC
Nov 2nd, 2009, 01:35 PM
Justine went 63-4 in 2007. Serena was like 50-12 or so this year. Justine won about 10 titles to Serena's three. Prize money must have gone up a bit in the last few years.
It doesnt matter how she made that mula but she beat Justine,she is very smart to target lucrative events plus Justine quickly retired after over extending herself....and Serena is still going strong and will be stronger in 2010:rolleyes:

Matt01
Nov 2nd, 2009, 01:36 PM

It did go up this year with the new (useless) Roadmap. Hence this is a completely irrelevant record that Serena broke.

Lin Lin
Nov 2nd, 2009, 01:39 PM
Jankovic, Jelena SRB $1,491,514 $0 $0 $2,491,514

every player's total prize money is more than the sum of singles and doubles money?:confused:why?:confused:

Like JJ,look at her prize money:eek:

Lin Lin
Nov 2nd, 2009, 01:45 PM
Zvonareva, Vera RUS $1,397,361 $144,784 $0 $1,642,145
:confused:

The Kaz
Nov 2nd, 2009, 01:49 PM
sour grapes:pshe can give you $10 000.00 to carry her rackets:rolleyes:especially when you clean toilets at your child s school...isnt $10000. your annual income.:p

$10,000 a year is slave labour here. The minimum wage in Australia is like $30,000 and the average wage is like 50-60k.

But your country is in deep recession so I can hardly blame you and your modest assumption.

P.S Is that your wage? :awww:

The Kaz
Nov 2nd, 2009, 01:51 PM
Oh noes, I replied to two (make that three now) of your posts and I'm stalking you? :lol: Don't flatter yourself, honey :kiss:

You replied like 20 seconds after me on every occasion. That IS stalking :weirdo:

Lin Lin
Nov 2nd, 2009, 01:53 PM
$10,000 a year is slave labour here. The minimum wage in Australia is like $30,000 and the average wage is like 50-60k.

But your country is in deep recession so I can hardly blame you and you modest assumption.

P.S Is that your wage? :awww:

these words were too strong from you,however:awww:

The Kaz
Nov 2nd, 2009, 01:55 PM
these words were too strong from you,however:awww:

What do you mean?

Lin Lin
Nov 2nd, 2009, 01:57 PM
It was too harsh:awww:,sorry,no offence:)

ZODIAC
Nov 2nd, 2009, 01:57 PM
What do you mean?
he knows you are lying and that you are a dishwasher at an italian pizzeria:p

Feyd
Nov 2nd, 2009, 01:59 PM
Jankovic, Jelena SRB $1,491,514 $0 $0 $2,491,514

every player's total prize money is more than the sum of singles and doubles money?:confused:why?:confused:

Like JJ,look at her prize money:eek:

By satisfying all her top ten commitments (4 PM + 5 P5 + 2 P700), JJ earned an additional 1 million $ bonus money.

Lin Lin
Nov 2nd, 2009, 02:02 PM

I didn't say that:shrug:

and what's wrong with these hard-working dishwashers?we all need the service around the world:confused::)

Avid Merrion
Nov 2nd, 2009, 02:02 PM
You replied like 20 seconds after me on every occasion. That IS stalking :weirdo:

Tsk, someone needs to learn to count. There was 1 minute between one post and 2 minutes between the other one. Hardly indicates a highly orchestrated stalking campaign now does it? But I hope you appreciate me leaving this one a bit longer in case it offended your delicate sensibilities :awww:

The Kaz
Nov 2nd, 2009, 02:03 PM

:o If you refer to my public profile, you will know what I do ;)

Lin Lin
Nov 2nd, 2009, 02:04 PM
By satisfying all her top ten commitments (4 PM + 5 P5 + 2 P700), JJ earned an additional 1 million $ bonus money.

Thanks,informative:yeah:,do you have more details of this bonus money regulation?:confused:

ZODIAC
Nov 2nd, 2009, 02:06 PM
I didn't say that:shrug:

and what's wrong with these hard-working dishwashers?we all need the service around the world:confused::)I didnt mean you sweetie I meant the Kaz character:tape:I am not disrespecting dishwashers I am sorry if I offended you.I know every job should be respected,but this Kaz thingy deserves to be disrespected because he is disrespectful.:rolleyes:

Feyd
Nov 2nd, 2009, 02:06 PM
Thanks,informative:yeah:,do you have more details of this bonus money regulation?:confused:

http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/SEWTATour-Archive/Archive/AboutTheTour/rules.pdf

Check page 13 (Page 15 on the pdf)

ZODIAC
Nov 2nd, 2009, 02:08 PM
:o If you refer to my public profile, you will know what I do ;)you always come across as a very angry individual in your posts.:confused::rolleyes::p

Lin Lin
Nov 2nd, 2009, 02:13 PM
http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/SEWTATour-Archive/Archive/AboutTheTour/rules.pdf

Check page 13 (Page 15 on the pdf)

Thank you very much for telling me this:D,I will good rep you tomorrow since I have sent all my reps today:D

thrust
Nov 2nd, 2009, 02:27 PM

This year Serena won a total of 3 tournaments, 2 of which were Slams and the YEC. IN 2007 Justin also won 2 Slams and the YEC, plus 7 other either tier 1 or 2 tournaments. Serena was indeed very lucky to win only three tournaments and all that money against a very weak group of players. Accomplishment wise, Serena's 09 is nowhere as impressive as Justine's 07. I really doubt there was any conspiracy against Justine by the WTA or Larry Scott. Perhaps that talk was a joke.

Vlover
Nov 2nd, 2009, 03:05 PM
This year Serena won a total of 3 tournaments, 2 of which were Slams and the YEC. IN 2007 Justin also won 2 Slams and the YEC, plus 7 other either tier 1 or 2 tournaments.
Serena's strategy has always been play less and win "Big". It has worked beatifully for her to date and she accomplished more than everyone else with this winning strategy so why change it. Most people don't care how many other tournaments Justine won. Everyone is essentially focused on the majors.

SAEKeithSerena
Nov 2nd, 2009, 03:23 PM
Serena's strategy has always been play less and win "Big". It has worked beatifully for her to date and she accomplished more than everyone else with this winning strategy so why change it. Most people don't care how many other tournaments Justine won. Everyone is essentially focused on the majors.

agreed. but justine's year was epic that year, even i will give her that.

DragonFlame
Nov 2nd, 2009, 03:27 PM
What a surprise with the ´shitty´ american dollar this year. :tape: Anyone can break prizemoney records with a world wide recession this size lol. Although, the dollar is on its way back, which is good to see. :)

Pureracket
Nov 2nd, 2009, 04:23 PM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/afp/20091102/capt.photo_1257128521904-1-0.jpg AFP
2009-11-01

HRHoliviasmith
Nov 2nd, 2009, 04:27 PM

:haha:

bitterlemon :drool:

ZODIAC
Nov 2nd, 2009, 04:32 PM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/afp/20091102/capt.photo_1257128521904-1-0.jpg AFP
2009-11-01Serena finally got that USA Open check she was denied,Stacey MaCallister must be angry at this development.They were hoping that someone other than Serena or Venus win this thing but karma is a bitch they made $2.5MIL in 1 week eat your heart out Stacey.:p

danieln1
Nov 2nd, 2009, 04:36 PM
Serena >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> justine

In 2010 they restart their rivalry, to begin where it ended, with another bagel

BrianII
Nov 2nd, 2009, 04:50 PM
It doesn't matter how serena broke justines record , she either did break it or justine never held it to begin with ..since in 1997 martina won 3 slams(finals of the remasining 1) and more titles,lost only 3 matches and earned probably at least 2 million less than justine. So if the type of year you had vis-a-vis no of titles is the criteria justine never held the record in the first place.

Uranus
Nov 2nd, 2009, 05:08 PM
He's perfectly right though. What Justine achieved in 2007 was much more than Serena did this year. It's just because of the roadmap. There are records that actually mean something, but this one doesn't.

Serena finally got that USA Open check she was denied,Stacey MaCallister must be angry at this development.They were hoping that someone other than Serena or Venus win this thing but karma is a bitch they made $2.5MIL in 1 week eat your heart out Stacey.:p
She was denied nothing in New York, she got defeated fair and square :weirdo:. Gosh you can't seem to improve in any way.

ZODIAC
Nov 2nd, 2009, 05:16 PM
He's perfectly right though. What Justine achieved in 2007 was much more than Serena did this year. It's just because of the roadmap. There are records that actually mean something, but this one doesn't.

She was denied nothing in New York, she got defeated fair and square :weirdo:. Gosh you can't seem to improve in any way.I guess we will never know if Kim was going to win fair and square,that freaking false ff was what made Kim win.I bet you next time they meet it will be 8-2 or 9-2 we know Serena knows how to exact revenge.:devil:

shap_half
Nov 2nd, 2009, 05:21 PM

obviously. it's strange that serena wins 3 tournaments as opposed to justine's 10 and still makes more money. i wonder if the tour recognizes the recession.

Avid Merrion
Nov 2nd, 2009, 05:25 PM

I didn't say he wasn't :) I was merely pointing out their obvious bitterness.

ZODIAC
Nov 2nd, 2009, 05:26 PM
obviously. it's strange that serena wins 3 tournaments as opposed to justine's 10 and still makes more money. i wonder if the tour recognizes the recession.
Serena never gets credit for being smart,she worked with what she had and made the most of it without over extending herself.:rolleyes:

Roookie
Nov 2nd, 2009, 05:29 PM
Donaltrumprena :eek:.

shap_half
Nov 2nd, 2009, 05:36 PM
Serena never gets credit for being smart,she worked with what she had and made the most of it without over extending herself.:rolleyes:

wtf are you talking about?

I thought we were talking about "Serena smashing Jusitne's record?"

Serena played 18 tournaments this year and Justine played 14 in 2007. Serena won just 3 of those tournaments whereas Justine won 10 of hers. And still Serena made more money. I'm talking about the incredibly discrepancy in the amount of prize money won. Serena is making more money for winning less despite having more chances to in a financial climate that's not really conducive to such spending.

And why should we give credit to Serena more making more money by winning less? It makes no sense. You make no sense.

azinna
Nov 2nd, 2009, 05:53 PM
agreed. but justine's year was epic that year, even i will give her that.

Me too, but her 2007, in many senses, "ruined" her 2008 and 2009. We'll see what it does to her 2010 and after.

As for other posters wanting to put an asterisk on Serena's record, due to inflation and reset prize money: I hope you're also ready to place an asterisk next to Justine's record 2007 earnings, especially when compared to Serena's in 2002, Hingis' in 1997, Steffi's in 1996, 1995, 1989 and 1988, Navratilova's in..., Evert's in...., King's in..., etc

A record is a record, folks.

markdelaney
Nov 2nd, 2009, 05:53 PM
and it's all thanks to Jehovah !

Matt01
Nov 2nd, 2009, 05:54 PM

Except that her tournament schedule wasn't smart.

markdelaney
Nov 2nd, 2009, 05:57 PM
Ok so I earned more money this year than a brain surgeon got in 1986... so clearly I broke his record too. I shall be celebrating tonight !

azinna
Nov 2nd, 2009, 06:03 PM
Ok so I earned more money this year than a brain surgeon got in 1986... so clearly I broke his record too. I shall be celebrating tonight !

You should celebrate regardless! I always encourage me-time! Self-care is essential in this tough economic climate.

If your earnings constitute a historic high for your profession, when compared to your current peers, then you'll get a public mention in a few articles, which is Serena's case.

ZODIAC
Nov 2nd, 2009, 06:15 PM
Ok so I earned more money this year than a brain surgeon got in 1986... so clearly I broke his record too. I shall be celebrating tonight !so you are saying Justine is superior to Serena based on what....if you are talking about tennis stats then you have missed the point.:rolleyes:

barboza
Nov 2nd, 2009, 06:17 PM
The OP is dumb.. prize money goes up every year, so if you want to compare, measure it by the titles won.

HRHoliviasmith
Nov 2nd, 2009, 06:18 PM
and it's all thanks to Jehovah !

:hysteric:

ZODIAC
Nov 2nd, 2009, 06:21 PM
why play a thousand events when you can make big bucks at one big event,Justine played all over the place and failed to win Wimbledon.Serena won the prestigious Wimbledon title , Australia and YEC.

canuckfan
Nov 2nd, 2009, 06:38 PM
why play a thousand events when you can make big bucks at one big event,Justine played all over the place and failed to win Wimbledon.Serena won the prestigious Wimbledon title , Australia and YEC.

:scratch:

wtf are you talking about?

I thought we were talking about "Serena smashing Jusitne's record?"

Serena played 18 tournaments this year and Justine played 14 in 2007. Serena won just 3 of those tournaments whereas Justine won 10 of hers. And still Serena made more money. I'm talking about the incredibly discrepancy in the amount of prize money won. Serena is making more money for winning less despite having more chances to in a financial climate that's not really conducive to such spending.

And why should we give credit to Serena more making more money by winning less? It makes no sense. You make no sense.

Hint: The parts in bold are the important ones.

:wavey:

ZODIAC
Nov 2nd, 2009, 06:45 PM
No matter how you roll it or dice it Serena has made more money than any female athelete,she has earned $30mil on court alone and still counting she might reach $45mil by the time she retires.This season alone her earning overshadowed Justine s 2007 earnings by a wide margin.

Dunlop1
Nov 2nd, 2009, 07:33 PM
Serena finally got that USA Open check she was denied,Stacey MaCallister must be angry at this development.They were hoping that someone other than Serena or Venus win this thing but karma is a bitch they made $2.5MIL in 1 week eat your heart out Stacey.:p

Why do you care about this? Are you somehow richer because Serena won 2.5million? Why are people excited that she beat Henin's record? You aren't going to see a dime of it.

When Henin won 5.5mil in 07 I couldn't have cared less. I'm trying to make my own millions, not live vicariously through people who are earning theirs.

Denise4925
Nov 2nd, 2009, 07:46 PM

:haha: :haha: :haha: Could you be more obvious?:lol:

Pureracket
Nov 2nd, 2009, 07:47 PM
Are the Kaz and Demska the same person?

Denise4925
Nov 2nd, 2009, 07:48 PM
It did go up this year with the new (useless) Roadmap. Hence this is a completely irrelevant record that Serena broke.

And the record Justine broke is equally irrelevant if that's the case. :lol:

Denise4925
Nov 2nd, 2009, 07:53 PM
Are the Kaz and Demska the same person?

Wow, there are some bitter, bitter people in this thread. :lol:

Joana
Nov 2nd, 2009, 07:55 PM
Damn, Denise, that's a lot of money! Congratulations! :yeah:

Donny
Nov 2nd, 2009, 07:59 PM
Why do you care about this? Are you somehow richer because Serena won 2.5million? Why are people excited that she beat Henin's record? You aren't going to see a dime of it.

When Henin won 5.5mil in 07 I couldn't have cared less. I'm trying to make my own millions, not live vicariously through people who are earning theirs.

Why do people care about the grand slams their favorites have won? Accomplishments are accomplishment, whether athletic in nature or monetary in nature.

Denise4925
Nov 2nd, 2009, 08:01 PM
Why do people care about the grand slams their favorites have won? Accomplishments are accomplishment, whether athletic in nature or monetary in nature.

Why do people who are not fans care about whether her fans celebrate her accomplishments or not? You just have to chalk it up to bitterness, which is far more disturbing, I think, than being happy for your fave. :shrug:

Tamus
Nov 2nd, 2009, 08:04 PM
Everyone seems to be comparing Justine's 2007 to Serena's 2009 but are forgetting that Serena won three doubles grand slam titles this year as well. Taking away doubles and bonus money Serena won $5,584,437 for her singles performances this year compared to the $5,367,086 that Justine earned in 2007.

Denise4925
Nov 2nd, 2009, 08:06 PM
Everyone seems to be comparing Justine's 2007 to Serena's 2009 but are forgetting that Serena won three doubles grand slam titles this year as well. Taking away doubles and bonus money Serena won $5,584,437 for her singles performances this year compared to the $5,367,086 that Justine earned in 2007.

Okay, so according to your calculations which I'm not saying is correct, the record is still broken if that was your point. :confused:

Pureracket
Nov 2nd, 2009, 08:06 PM
Everyone seems to be comparing Justine's 2007 to Serena's 2009 but are forgetting that Serena won three doubles grand slam titles this year as well. Taking away doubles and bonus money Serena won $5,584,437 for her singles performances this year compared to the $5,367,086 that Justine earned in 2007.Looks like JH needs to pick a doubles partner if she wants to keep up. That is your point, right?

Joana
Nov 2nd, 2009, 08:08 PM
Okay, so according to your calculations which I'm not saying is correct, the record is still broken if that was your point. :confused:

Don't worry, Denise, you broke the record. :yeah:

Apoleb
Nov 2nd, 2009, 08:15 PM
Records that are continuously broken don't mean much. Prize money is one of them.

Denise4925
Nov 2nd, 2009, 08:18 PM
Looks like JH needs to pick a doubles partner if she wants to keep up. That is your point, right?

I'm not sure what his point was. :scratch: :lol:

azinna
Nov 2nd, 2009, 08:18 PM
Records that are continuously broken don't mean much. Prize money is one of them.

Not true at all, in track and swimming, for example.

Pureracket
Nov 2nd, 2009, 08:20 PM
Records that are continuously broken don't mean much. Prize money is one of them.Personally, I wouldn't care is somebody broke my record if I've set it for over 6 million.

apo,
I sent you some PMs. You're going to continue to ignore me, eh?:sad:

Nickk

:lol::lol::lol:

Apoleb
Not true at all, in track and swimming, for example.

Track records aren't "continuously" broken. Swimming WR are, which is why no body gave a shit about the 30+ records that tumbled at the last WC.

Burj
Nov 2nd, 2009, 08:26 PM
Looks like JH needs to pick a doubles partner if she wants to keep up. That is your point, right?

Looks like Serena can't win more than 3 tournaments without a partner - she'd better up her game if she wants to keep up with the real title holders. :)

Don't worry, Denise, you broke the record. :yeah:

Absolutely fucking hysterical :rolls:

I read your couple of posts and I was thinking to myself "what are they talking about"? Then I read through a lot of that posters posts and I can now see what you mean :lol: They really do think they are Serena don't they? That really is quite mentally unhealthy and sad, but then I suppose most kids are like that arn't they - they think they are the person who they idolise and live vicariously through them.

From this thread I can see at least 6 posters who are doing that. Well I suppose it takes them away from their lives doesn't it? In their head they are Serena and they are winning all these Majors and the money that goes with it - trouble is, what will happen when Serena retires and they have to live their own life? :sad:

Pureracket
Nov 2nd, 2009, 08:32 PM
Looks like Serena can't win more than 3 tournaments without a partner - she'd better up her game if she wants to keep up with the real title holders.Maybe you're right. I can't name a person on the tour right now who'd NOT want to have Serena's year, though.

Pasta-Na
Nov 2nd, 2009, 08:35 PM
juju might break this record next year, though. :p

serena won around 1 million in WD. :p

Pureracket
Nov 2nd, 2009, 08:35 PM
Looks like Serena can't win more than 3 tournaments without a partner - she'd better up her game if she wants to keep up with the real title holders. :)

I read your couple of posts and I was thinking to myself "what are they talking about"? Then I read through a lot of that posters posts and I can now see what you mean :lol: They really do think they are Serena don't they? That really is quite mentally unhealthy and sad, but then I suppose most kids are like that arn't they - they think they are the person who they idolise and live vicariously through them.

From this thread I can see at least 6 posters who are doing that. Well I suppose it takes them away from their lives doesn't it? In their head they are Serena and they are winning all these Majors and the money that goes with it - trouble is, what will happen when Serena retires and they have to live their own life? :sad:You have us pegged perfectly, it seems. We think we're all Serena. I for one, started calling my older sister, "Venus" even though it's Lilly. It kinda irritates her, but she'll get over it.

azinna
Nov 2nd, 2009, 08:37 PM
Track records aren't "continuously" broken. Swimming WR are, which is why no body gave a shit about the 30+ records that tumbled at the last WC.

Not sure what distinctions you want to draw between track and prize money records by using "continuously." If it's an issue of frequency, there was a two-year gap between Serena's in 2009 and Justine's in 2007. We've gotten two-year gaps -- and less -- between the setting of records in track. And these records still do mean quite a bit to a lot of people.

Same with long-distance running (marathons) and swimming, even with the rather extreme and recent case of the last WCs.

AndreConrad
Nov 2nd, 2009, 08:43 PM
Good job Serena :yeah:; I agree that perhaps the prizes are higher so perhaps it was easier to make it. It is new record, however. I am curious who and when will break it now? Any crystal balls out there? ;)

azinna
Nov 2nd, 2009, 08:45 PM
^ Got my money on Kim Clijsters...

Apoleb
Nov 2nd, 2009, 08:45 PM
Not sure what distinctions you want to draw between records by using "continuously." If it's an issue of frequency, there was a two-year gap between Serena's in 2009 and Justine's in 2007. We've gotten two-year gaps -- and less -- between the setting of records in track. And these records still do mean quite a bit to a lot of people. Same with long-distance running (marathons) and swimming, even with the extreme case of the recent WC.

Now, I'm not saying that a record that endures doesn't grow in significance.

That analogy isn't quite there cause the record we're talking about here can only be set at the end of the year. Frequency in this case is higher than a 2 year record in track where athletes can have a go at it every time they step on the field (and they don't run once a year). So yes, what I am saying is that a record that gets broken at a very high frequency doesn't become very relevant anymore.

In any case, the only thing that this tells us is that prize money went significantly up. Is it a bigger achievement to win when more money is on the line? I think most people would agree that 2007 was actually a better year tennis-wise.

Denise4925
Nov 2nd, 2009, 08:47 PM

:lol: Who for instance?

From this thread I can see at least 6 posters who are doing that. Well I suppose it takes them away from their lives doesn't it? In their head they are Serena and they are winning all these Majors and the money that goes with it - trouble is, what will happen when Serena retires and they have to live their own life? :sad:

What part of the following posts makes you think I think I'm Serena? :scratch: Are you a troll? Because your declaration is totally without merit.

For the record, Joanna is in love with me, stalks me and obviously wants the whole world to know about her endless facination and obsession with me. Which is what is really mentally unhealthy and sad. I have her on ignore for that purpose. If you can't see that, then maybe you should check with your local mental health specialist and see if maybe you have some issues of your own to work out.

:haha: :haha: :haha: Could you be more obvious?:lol:

And the record Justine broke is equally irrelevant if that's the case. :lol:

Wow, there are some bitter, bitter people in this thread. :lol:

Why do people who are not fans care about whether her fans celebrate her accomplishments or not? You just have to chalk it up to bitterness, which is far more disturbing, I think, than being happy for your fave. :shrug:

I'm not sure what his point was. :scratch: :lol:

ZODIAC
Nov 2nd, 2009, 08:50 PM
Whatever haters Serena is smiling all the way to the bank $6.5mil plus $2.5 from her sponsor Nike for finishing at no.1,more bonuses from her sponsors for getting to no.1 at the end of season ,WTA money for finishing at no.1 some bonus from Stacey...the list goes on and on.

Tamus
Nov 2nd, 2009, 08:50 PM

If you read through the thread you will see that there were posters who only recognized Serena's singles accomplishments this year. I was merely pointing out that the total prizemoney that Serena won this year is representative of her singles and doubles performances. I don't think it should surprise anyone that Serena set the prizemoney record in a year where prizemoney as a whole is well up, and she won six total titles (five slams and a YEC.)

Btw, those weren't my calculations, but the WTA's:
http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/SEWTATour-Archive/Rankings_Stats/prize_money_2007.pdf
http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/SEWTATour-Archive/Rankings_Stats/All_YTD_Prize_Money.pdf

Denise4925
Nov 2nd, 2009, 08:59 PM
If you read through the thread you will see that there were posters who only recognized Serena's singles accomplishments this year. I was merely pointing out that the total prizemoney that Serena won this year is representative of her singles and doubles performances. I don't think it should surprise anyone that Serena set the prizemoney record in a year where prizemoney as a whole is well up, and she won six total titles (five slams and a YEC.)

Btw, those weren't my calculations, but the WTA's:
http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/SEWTATour-Archive/Rankings_Stats/prize_money_2007.pdf
http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/SEWTATour-Archive/Rankings_Stats/All_YTD_Prize_Money.pdf

I'm not arguing that and I accept your calculations, I just didn't know your source, which is why I said I wasn't saying they were correct.

Okay, so it's noted that the six million includes doubles play and just so you understand my point is that regardless, she still surpasses Justine's record in singles. :shrug:

Denise4925
Nov 2nd, 2009, 09:09 PM
And, it looks like we have a new bona fide WS hater. All four posts of his have been hating on the WS. :lol: Even to the point of hating on Sveta for beating her compatriot in order for Venus to make the finals. :lol: See below.

http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost.php?p=16747369&postcount=18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slutiana
Don't shoot the messenger!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by Burj
And I said that she overdramatised it, I wasn't the only person to say that.

No, this is overdramatization

The biggest FAKER EVER. Most of the people at Wimbledon that day knew she was faking because a couple of times she forgot to limp

I remember it well. After the incident so many people were laughing at the terrible acting and obviously the coaching by Richard, telling her that it was going to rain

Serena is well known for her FAKING and her miraculous recoveries - especially before a GS. It's hysterical, she's injured terribly if she plays the tournament before, but just when the GS starts, she recovers miraculously. That's without the excuses about withdrawing from a tournament .... the flu, menstrual migraines (whatever happened to them - oh they must have miraculously disappeared to )

Caroline has a LONG, LONG way to go before she can get to Serena's level of faking

http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost.php?p=16744099&postcount=76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneres.
Yes, has been explained in mine and godominique's thread for days.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From what I read in YOUR thread, you got it completely wrong - especially saying that the H2H of players in all their matches outside of the YEC would count You didn't have a clue what you were talking about and made so many errors in there that people were confused. ha ha

Go Dominique's Excel thread was fantastic and explained it very well. Thank you Go Dominique :haha: :haha: :haha: Go Dominique :tape:

Well done Venus (even though you were coached by your sister).

Question to everyone on the board.

Why would Sveta want to beat her Russian compatriat just so Venus could win? Wouldn't she want her compatriat to win more than an American?

http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost.php?p=16741720&postcount=174
Quote:
Originally Posted by reetard
Wow what a fake display from caro She was moving well even after the cramps, and serving first serves.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, if that was a fake display, then this truly is also http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxpQS...eature=related

The only difference being was that Caroline didn't have her father shrieking out that it's going to rain. PLUS, Serena was able to walk off court straight away whereby Caroline wasn't.

So, please tell me that difference. Oh and also if posters are saying about Caroline's "miraculous" recovery, what about Serena's miraculous recoveries just when a GS is about to start.

What is that saying "people in glass houses should never throw stones"?

How anyone can criticise a player when the player they support does exactly the same and worse, I'll never know.

azinna
Nov 2nd, 2009, 09:10 PM
That analogy isn't quite there cause the record we're talking about here can only be set at the end of the year. Frequency in this case is higher than a 2 year record in track where athletes can have a go at it every time they step on the field (and they don't run once a year).....

Actually, the analogy is there when discussing the men's 100m and swimming. There have been periods of near back-to-back "breakage" and it meant quite a bit to everyone involved, including the sports' sponsors, hence the media attention. It's fine if we don't give a hoot. Or if we choose to lay emphasis on Michael Johnson's achievement in 1996.

In any case, the only thing that this tells us is that prize money went significantly up. Is it a bigger achievement to win when more money is on the line? I think most people would agree that 2007 was actually a better year tennis-wise.

Agree to an extent. This was always about a player's proficiency at gathering prize money as offered for that year. Justine's 2007 record tells me that prize money went significantly up from 2002, 1997, 1995, 1988, etc.

But -- as with the year-end #1 and the gathering of ranking points -- I'd also acknowledge a player's ability and proficiency in breaking any record within the system and against the players she met during that period.

youizahoe
Nov 2nd, 2009, 09:14 PM
Prize money went up with 23% this year.

fufuqifuqishahah
Nov 2nd, 2009, 09:57 PM
Doubles?

Aaron.
Nov 2nd, 2009, 10:27 PM
Don't worry, Denise, you broke the record. :yeah: lmao :rolls:

Damn, Denise, that's a lot of money! Congratulations! :yeah: lmao x2 :rolls:

You have us pegged perfectly, it seems. We think we're all Serena. I for one, started calling my older sister, "Venus" even though it's Lilly. It kinda irritates her, but she'll get over it. this is too funny :spit:

RVD
Nov 2nd, 2009, 11:04 PM
Serena finally got that USA Open check she was denied,Stacey MaCallister must be angry at this development.They were hoping that someone other than Serena or Venus win this thing but karma is a bitch they made $2.5MIL in 1 week eat your heart out Stacey.:p:worship:
I can't help but think that this was Serena's intent from her very first serve.
She was unduly denied an entire tournament's worth of work at the US Open and decided to make up the difference here.

When the WTA serves you lemons, make lemonade at the YEC and beat all comers with an emphatic 5-0 record. :lol: :lol:
That’s what a true champion does. :cool:

RVD
Nov 2nd, 2009, 11:09 PM
obviously. it's strange that serena wins 3 tournaments as opposed to justine's 10 and still makes more money. i wonder if the tour recognizes the recession.:lol: :lol:

If someone can get paid more, by doing less, isn't that more preferable than the inverse? :scratch:
In any other business, that's preferable to working more and making less.
That's the point that's being missed, IMO.

If it was a thread about achievements, as far as the number of tournaments won, then they'd have a point.

gmokb
Nov 2nd, 2009, 11:25 PM
She actually earned more than Roger as well plus more that 200% of some players who played nearly everyweek.

Denise4925
Nov 2nd, 2009, 11:31 PM
Personally, I'd love to work less and make more than my counterparts.

Bijoux0021
Nov 2nd, 2009, 11:31 PM
:worship:
I can't help but think that this was Serena's intent from her very first serve.
She was unduly denied an entire tournament's worth of work at the US Open and decided to make up the difference here.

When the WTA serves you lemons, make lemonade at the YEC and beat all comers with an emphatic 5-0 record. :lol: :lol:
That’s what a true champion does. :cool:
I have a feeling she will continue to make a lot more lemonades next year if she stays healthy. One way or the other, she'll definitely have the last laugh.

Denise4925
Nov 2nd, 2009, 11:33 PM
I have a feeling she will continue to make a lot more lemonades next year if she stays healthy. One way or the other, she'll definitely have the last laugh.

She has it now. ;)

Buitenzorg
Nov 2nd, 2009, 11:49 PM
they shouldn't put the PRIZE Money as the measurement of the record...:lol: after all of these years, prize money have been increase most of the time, and very rarely to decrease :lol:

Roookie
Nov 2nd, 2009, 11:55 PM
Who said there's crisis in the World? :lol:.

mykarma
Nov 3rd, 2009, 12:03 AM
this

mauresmofan
Nov 3rd, 2009, 12:08 AM
It's a stupid record and if prize money equals success then players like Graf and Navratilova who went almost unbeaten in seasons would have won triple or quadruple what Serena did this year. Well done to Serena for winning as much as she has done but as records go this is a really stupid one because this wouldn't even rate anywhere near Serenas best season.

Donny
Nov 3rd, 2009, 12:10 AM
It's a stupid record and if prize money equals success then players like Graf and Navratilova who went almost unbeaten in seasons would have won triple or quadruple than Serena did this year. Well done to Serena for winning as much as she has done but as records go this is a really stupid one because this wouldn't even rate anywhere near Serenas best season.

Graf and Navritlova also didn't generate as much revenue for tournaments.

youizahoe
Nov 3rd, 2009, 12:18 AM
Who said there's crisis in the World? :lol:.

The crisis is relative, outside the US, nobody else is really worried or hindered by it. At least that's in my case :lol:

mauresmofan
Nov 3rd, 2009, 12:20 AM

They did their part and made the sport more popular than it had been thus creating the chances for future generations to earn ridiculous sums of money. This is a stupid record because it is created entirely out of inflation and not actual achievement ie tournaments wins vs tournaments wins. Clijsters or Henin will probably break this "record" next year.

serenafan08
Nov 3rd, 2009, 12:25 AM

Yep...the prize checks have gone up just about every year, so somebody was bound to break Justine's record.

LightWarrior
Nov 3rd, 2009, 12:26 AM
"Smashed one of Justine's records" ??? Apart from that one Nenin didn't hold any other record as far as I know.

youizahoe
Nov 3rd, 2009, 12:27 AM
They did their part and made the sport more popular than it had been thus creating the chances for future generations to earn ridiculous sums of money. This is a stupid record because it is created entirely out of inflation and not actual achievement ie tournaments wins vs tournaments wins. Clijsters or Henin will probably break this "record" next year.

Serena's pay check this year was 75% caused by winning 3 out of the 5 biggest tournaments. If Serena had performed better, she'd have around 7-8. Also I don't see Clijsters and Henin next year even getting that sum, when combining their YTD prize money.

LDVTennis
Nov 3rd, 2009, 12:34 AM

How do you know this?

Graf was more popular in Europe than Serena ever will be. Did you perhaps miss the 1999 French Open? At Wimbledon, Graf was never relegated to an outside court because tournament organizers didn't think she wasn't "attractive" enough.

In the US, Graf was more popular than Serena at Indian Wells, La Costa, and MSG. Graf and Seles almost sold out MSG in 1999 for their WTA Championships quarter. This year, Venus and Serena couldn't even fill the first section of the arena. There were more people who attended the 1996 IW Final (Graf vs. Martinez) than the 2001 IW Final (Serena vs. Clijsters).

In Asia, go see what Sania Mirza and Kamiko Date have said about Steffi's popularity there. Whenever Steffi came to Tokyo, she played to huge crowds. Go see her 1996 Fed Cup match vs. Date.

moby
Nov 3rd, 2009, 12:39 AM
Congratulations, Serena! This is a memorable year indeed. What a way to smash the prize money record..

Also a shoutout to Caroline Wozniacki, who as a teenager, made more money this year than Billie Jean King did in her entire career. :worship:
Caro >>> BJK.

Well done, Dinara Safina, for outdoing the almost-Serena Slam earnings.
Dinara 09 > Serena 02.

mauresmofan
Nov 3rd, 2009, 12:44 AM
Serena's pay check this year was 75% caused by winning 3 out of the 5 biggest tournaments. If Serena had performed better, she'd have around 7-8. Also I don't see Clijsters and Henin next year even getting that sum, when combining their YTD prize money.

Ok then but just check this out Clijsters entered 4 tournaments amassing 1.6 million Serena entered 18 tournaments amassing 6.5 million.

You multiply Clijsters earnings by 4 to give her 16 tournaments and she ends up with 6.4 million. That's not much of a stretch in imagination given Clijsters can play well on the hard courts of the Australian and US as well as the clay court events. I'm sure she'll fair well at Wimbledon too getting to the second week and that's not taking into account the YEC which she'll probably qualify for barring injury. Therefore using my logic Clijsters will equal or surpass Serenas total next season, more than likely the latter.

Joana
Nov 3rd, 2009, 12:55 AM
Well done, Dinara Safina, for outdoing the almost-Serena Slam earnings.
Dinara 09 > Serena 02.

There was never any doubt and this just confirms it. Dinara is simply the GOAT. What a way to better the most dominant year in recent tennis history! :worship:

ZODIAC
Nov 3rd, 2009, 01:15 AM
They did their part and made the sport more popular than it had been thus creating the chances for future generations to earn ridiculous sums of money. This is a stupid record because it is created entirely out of inflation and not actual achievement ie tournaments wins vs tournaments wins. Clijsters or Henin will probably break this "record" next year.dont be so sure of yourself,you dont know how Justine and Kim are going to do when they are full time on tour,I dont see the young players letting the belgians walk all over them.Its not going to be easy Kim came back when everybody was tired or injured but 2010 will be a different ball game.I dont see them having the success that you are anticipating,and a lot of players have a score to settle with Justine....she will be the biggest target believe me.:p

DimaDinosaur
Nov 3rd, 2009, 01:41 AM
go to hell, you ugly panda :bigwave:

Arnian
Nov 3rd, 2009, 05:21 AM
Can't we just be happy for Serena, that she had a fantastic year at the GS level and broke the record. This is a good thing for women's tennis and women in general. Justine has plenty of time to match it or break it, especially with prize money going up every year, so I don't see why people can't be happy for Serena.

Denise4925
Nov 3rd, 2009, 05:42 AM
Can't we just be happy for Serena, that she had a fantastic year at the GS level and broke the record. This is a good thing for women's tennis and women in general. Justine has plenty of time to match it or break it, especially with prize money going up every year, so I don't see why people can't be happy for Serena.

Because it's asking too much of bitter people with an ax to grind.

The Kaz
Nov 3rd, 2009, 06:09 AM
Serena >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> justine

In 2010 they restart their rivalry, to begin where it ended, with another bagel

Yep!

1R AO: (WC) Justine Henin def. (1) Serena Williams [USA] 63 [B]60

:hearts: :drool: :hearts: :drool: :hearts:

Arnian
Nov 3rd, 2009, 08:08 AM
Yep!

1R AO: (WC) Justine Henin def. (1) Serena Williams [USA] 63 [B]60

I love Justine, but that would never happen, I personally hope she and Serena wouldn't meet until the semis/final.

mauresmofan
Nov 3rd, 2009, 12:15 PM
Because it's asking too much of bitter people with an ax to grind.

NO It's simply about the use of the word "record" for this type of achievement when it clearly has less to do with winning and more to do with inflation.

Olórin
Nov 3rd, 2009, 12:51 PM
Ok then but just check this out Clijsters entered 4 tournaments amassing 1.6 million Serena entered 18 tournaments amassing 6.5 million.

You multiply Clijsters earnings by 4 to give her 16 tournaments and she ends up with 6.4 million. That's not much of a stretch in imagination given Clijsters can play well on the hard courts of the Australian and US as well as the clay court events. I'm sure she'll fair well at Wimbledon too getting to the second week and that's not taking into account the YEC which she'll probably qualify for barring injury. Therefore using my logic Clijsters will equal or surpass Serenas total next season, more than likely the latter.

Unforunately there is a hole in your logic in that Kim has stated that she intends to play a limited schedule. It's unlikely she will play 16 tournaments. These earnings may well be passed next year, there are several players who could do it, but it remains to be seen.

youizahoe
Nov 3rd, 2009, 01:12 PM
Yep!

1R AO: (WC) Justine Henin [BEL] def. (1) Serena Williams [USA] 63 60

IDNTTHNKSO. But what can happen, and most likely could/would happen

1R AO: (WC) Justine Henin def. Samantha Stosur [AUS] [B]60 60

:angel:

Sombrerero loco
Nov 3rd, 2009, 02:13 PM

yeah, you have said it all.I agree

phelbyn
Nov 3rd, 2009, 02:23 PM
Justine was the only female player to win more than 5 million prize money in one season in 2007,but Serena wins more than 6 million this year.:p

Considering that prize money increases every year, it is not a surprise. As long as someone on the tour wins a few big tournaments, they will always be breaking this record. People thought that when Hingis surpassed the $3 million mark in the 90's that that would be unstoppable.

youizahoe
Nov 3rd, 2009, 02:31 PM
I've calculated the possible prize money of Henin in 2007 by 2009 standards :

PAR : $22,962
DUB : $350,000
DOH : $350,000
MIA : $350,000
WAR : $107,000
BER : $87,500
FRO : $1,497,483
EAS : $107,000
WIM : $364,157
TOR : $350,000
USO : $1,567,200
STU : $107,000
ZUR : $350,000
YEC : $1,550,000

Total = 7,160,302* + 1,000,000 = $8,160,302

- Some tournaments I'm not 100% sure about though.

Kunal
Nov 3rd, 2009, 03:02 PM
if serena really buckles down and focuses the whole year....she can take it close to 10 mil

madlove
Nov 3rd, 2009, 07:15 PM
ah well... no big deal at all...

winchester
Nov 3rd, 2009, 07:19 PM
So?

Lulu.
Nov 4th, 2009, 11:26 PM
It was bound to be broken and who better to do it.

friendsita
Nov 5th, 2009, 12:24 AM
Serena is the best!