PDA

View Full Version : Terrible year for Venus!

Aaron.
Nov 1st, 2009, 03:52 PM
Let Serena take away everything important this year.

Miami
Wimbledon
YEC

Only made QF or better at 1 slam this year.
Too many early losses.
2 losses in a row to Pavlychenkova :tape:

Very dissapointing.

frenchie
Nov 1st, 2009, 03:54 PM
It's still the 6th best year on Tour

Wimbledon final
YEC final
Dubai title
Acapulco title
Miami and Rome SF

not so bad but could definitely have been better though

FedererBulgaria
Nov 1st, 2009, 03:55 PM
Blah-blah-blah.....not a bad year for her!

Leo_DFP
Nov 1st, 2009, 03:57 PM
Not a great year for her, but a GS final and a Top 10 finish. So better than many of her other seasons, and that's with an injured leg for 1/4 of it.

ShimSham
Nov 1st, 2009, 03:57 PM
Let's be honest here, yes the year, has been disappointing but Venus has still had a better year than most players on the tour will ever have.

Nicolás89
Nov 1st, 2009, 03:58 PM
Horrid year indeed, playing like GOAT in Wimbledon only to lose to Serena in straights, horrid.

Uranium
Nov 1st, 2009, 04:00 PM
Horrid year indeed, playing like GOAT in Wimbledon only to lose to Serena in straights, horrid.

And in that final she played like crap.
Venus' year was craptastic. She had her great moments: Dubai, Acapulco, Miami, Rome, RG R2 win, Wimbledon, Stanford, and then her great efforts in YEC. She should have done better IMO.

AkademiQ
Nov 1st, 2009, 04:02 PM
Serena earned her wins this year and all that was important to her. It wasn't in Venus' power to let anything go when you're up against someone that good. Venus just wasn't good enough when it mattered and not just against Serena.

V-MAC
Nov 1st, 2009, 04:06 PM
I don't think it was "terrible" by any means. I guess by Vee's high standards and for a player of her calibre, it would be viewed as being slightly disappointing. Obviously missing out on the Wimbledon title dulls her year quite a bit but she has been carrying a niggling knee injury since that BJK exho and no doubt it has affected her confidence. Making the YEC final has at least ended the year on a positive note.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Nov 1st, 2009, 04:10 PM
She did win 3 grandslams this year :)

new-york
Nov 1st, 2009, 04:15 PM
Venus lacks solidity.

And that hurts big time against Serena.

She better be prepared for next year because against Kim and Justine (if level of play is there) the outcome will be the same.

This year, Venus never actually played well when it mattered.
Frustrating season.

Infiniti2001
Nov 1st, 2009, 04:19 PM
I'd love to have such a terrible year with that paycheck she earned :eek:

Marshmallow
Nov 1st, 2009, 04:30 PM
Venus was smiling and sticking her tongue out during the warm up today, while early on in this match, Serena was puffing through her nose like a bull ready to charge and chanting endlessly under her breathe. Tell you everything you need to know really. :lol:

Venus' year hasn't been THAT bad, especially if you look her years since 2004. She's been patchy through out this period and this year just didn't cross the final hurdle at Wimbledon. But the fact that she's made 2 major finals this year, won 2 titles, pushed all the top player (and in form hot player always) and beaten a few means there's still plenty of hope that could improve next year.

VishaalMaria
Yeah well----> 2010 :)

Marshmallow

:lol: :yeah:

Michael!
Nov 1st, 2009, 04:31 PM
Wasn´t terrible, but for sure disappoiting!
She reached at least the final in Wimbledon again, that is just fantastic, but it was a year with many up´s and down´s again, like so often!
But we have to be realistic, after Stanford her year was really bad.
Her match against Kim at the US Open was just a mess, had all chances to win this, but as so often, she wasnt totally healthy....her knee bothered her since Wimbledon, but that wasnt for sure the only reason!

I just don´t want Venus to end like Amelie, getting worse now from year to year, and then retire when not even ranked in top 20 anymore... It would be terrible for me to see her losing more and more often against random players :sad:
But we all was able to see it again, she still has the game, she still can beat anyone on the tour on a good day, those who say "she´s getting old" are just :weirdo, she is just too inconsistent, but that has nothing to do with her age...but of course, if she cant keep her game on a good level for a longer time, then it will be more and more difficult for her to win big titles!

Now rest well, Venus, and then hard work with your sister and play good in Australia, where you dont have many pts to defend :hug:

Matt01
Nov 1st, 2009, 04:47 PM

Congratulations for completely missing the point of this thread. :tape:

Do you really think that Venus, who player who has earned millions of dollars in her tennis carrer and got even more as appeareance fees and for sponsoring, was playing for a "paycheck" this year? No, she was playing to win the big tournaments, and in trying to do that, she failed miserably this year (well, she is probably used to that by now :lol:)

Vlover
Nov 1st, 2009, 04:57 PM
It certainly isn't what she or her fans wanted but considering she played one leg for 1/2 the season and still produce some good results I'm not complaining. It is not like everyone was blowing her off the court either because she still had some notable wins over tough opponents and very close losses.
She just needs to get healthy and she still has good tennis left in her. Don't forget that at the end of the year she was one of the two still left standing so with rest and healing she will recuperate and ready for next season. Love you Vee to the end!:hearts:

CoolDude7
Nov 1st, 2009, 04:58 PM
Venus takes more pride in her off court work than she does her on court work. While she didn't win wimbledon or YEC, I think she still will have other things to do that she thinks holds more weight than tennis.

Slutiana
Nov 1st, 2009, 04:59 PM
Not a great year for her, but a GS final and a Top 10 finish. So better than many of her other seasons, and that's with an injured leg for 1/4 of it.
Even more than that. The woman has had tendonitis in her knee since wimbledon FFS, throughout the whole of her best part of the season. Give the woman a break, hopefully she can have a great '10.

Marshmallow
Nov 1st, 2009, 05:03 PM
Congratulations for completely missing the point of this thread. :tape:

Do you really think that Venus, who player who has earned millions of dollars in her tennis carrer and got even more as appeareance fees and for sponsoring, was playing for a "paycheck" this year? No, she was playing to win the big tournaments, and in trying to do that, she failed miserably this year (well, she is probably used to that by now :lol:)

I always feel a sadness when I see your posts. There’s something truly pathetic about how hard you try. :awww:

FYI, Infiniti didn’t miss the point of the thread merely pointed out a Brightside, a positive piece of additional info regardless of whatever spin and angle people wish to put on Venus’ year.

But is anyone surprised that YOU couldn’t get that?

Olórin
Nov 1st, 2009, 05:19 PM
By her high standards this was not a good year for Venus, I suspect she may be distracted by her thriving love life which Serena does not have to contend with. I hope she can get her head together and come back stronger in 2010. It won't be easy for a 30 year old but I believe she has another slam or two in her.

What on earth do you know about the ins and outs of Serena and Common's love life? Or Venus' for that matter? What a perverted comment.

Matt01
Nov 1st, 2009, 05:19 PM
I always feel a sadness when I see your posts.

You also feel sad about Henin. Do I care? NO!

Morrissey
Nov 1st, 2009, 05:26 PM
Venus sucks she is inconsistent and she's almost 30. Venus fans better expect 2010 more of the same. Now that the Belgians are back I can see Venus losing early in the slams next year. Everyone better be ready for another early round exit at the Australian Open for Venus Williams. I doubt Venus will make it to the QF in Australia next year. She definitely isn't winning the Australian in 2010.

Vlover
Nov 1st, 2009, 05:27 PM
she was playing to win the big tournaments, and in trying to do that, she failed miserably this year (well, she is probably used to that by now :lol:)
Let's see if Justine is capable of winning The Championships or will she fail miserably and probably use to it by now.:rolleyes:

Radix2
Nov 1st, 2009, 05:30 PM
Venus had an up and down year but there were many moments on display of vintage Venus. She played through pain and never retired from a match or used her injury as an excuse for not playing well. She is one classy lady. I hope she comes back healthy next year.

Matt01
Nov 1st, 2009, 05:31 PM
Let's see if Justine is capable of winning The Championships or will she fail miserably and probably use to it by now.:rolleyes:

Unlike Venus, Henin was able to defend her YEC title :lol:

danieln1
Nov 1st, 2009, 05:31 PM
Venus can only have a good year if she wins Wimbledon... she can slump throughout the whole season, but if she wins wimbledon, she had a great year...

But winning only MM Acapulco and Dubai, for her very high standards, is not a good year

!Gio!
Nov 1st, 2009, 05:43 PM
It wasn't a terrible year but it definitely wasn't a great one either, Venus was just too inconsistent trough out but she still managed to have some great matches and some great results. She is a champion and no matter what happens in the next year I will always support her. I hope next year she will stay healthy and try and be a bit more consistent with her game if she does that than we can expect many more good results.
No matter what anyone says no one can take away from her legacy, Venus is a champ and by the way all those people participating in the Justine Vs Venus just prove time and time again how immature they are, there is room for more than one great player on the WTA tour and next year I will be happy to see both tennis legends playing there best and providing us with great matches because that's what the tour needs!!!

hingis-seles
Nov 1st, 2009, 05:44 PM
While it hasn't been a banner year for her, she's playing past her prime (age wise in tennis anyway) and is still making the finals at GS tournaments and the YEC. She's had some high points, albeit far fewer than the past, and some low moments which she can learn from - you're never too old to learn. As fans, you must be realistic and enjoy watching her play and cheering for her while you can.

Venus can still hold her head high. Only five women on this planet had a better year playing tennis than she did. Not too shabby, injuries be damned.

vwfan
Nov 1st, 2009, 05:44 PM
not a great year for her by any stretch, but nothing was as bad as 2006!

VeeReeDavJCap81
Nov 1st, 2009, 05:52 PM
She cleaned up at the bank though :lol:

bmxbandit
Nov 1st, 2009, 05:56 PM
Only 5 others have done better than her this year, so I don't see how you can call this "terrible."

colt13
Nov 1st, 2009, 07:19 PM

I wish my favorites could have a year this bad. I root for new blood, and get excited when we have a slam like the US Open, where everything went nuts. But for Venus and Serena, playing back to back full seasons is more than anyone could have hoped for.

virtue05
Nov 1st, 2009, 07:23 PM
I don't think Venuses year was all that bad, but I do think she was injured most of the season, she just didn't let anybody know. A fully rested Venus should be a contender next year. I look to see her having a better year and win more titles.

colt13
Nov 1st, 2009, 07:38 PM
To put this in perspective, Serena has entered the last 13 slams, after never playing more than 6 in a row. Venus has entered the last 11, the third time she has played that exact amount, her only other streak being 14 in a row.

SAEKeithSerena
Nov 1st, 2009, 07:46 PM
well she did amazing in doubles :)

sweetpeas
Nov 1st, 2009, 08:00 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's be honest here, yes the year, has been disappointing but Venus has still had a better year than most players on the tour will ever have.

So true..Most of them will never do this good..In their whole tennis career.

ZODIAC
Nov 2nd, 2009, 06:29 AM
She has earned over $3mil on court and has won 3 Grand Slams in doubles that is a great achievement,most girls girls dream of earning that money their whole career.
Next year will be a better year for her healthwise,this year she has struggled with knee injury from March of this year

gc-spurs
Nov 2nd, 2009, 07:17 AM
Only 5 others have done better than her this year, so I don't see how you can call this "terrible."

Greats are measured by a longer stick