PDA

View Full Version : What a year for Serena Williams!

frenchie
Nov 1st, 2009, 03:44 PM
Say what you want but her 2009 was amazing:worship:

MBM
Nov 1st, 2009, 03:47 PM
"amazing" is an overused word. good year yes, not as good as in the past but a good year all the same

Renalicious
Nov 1st, 2009, 03:49 PM
Better than 2007 and 2008 combined. :worship: Hopefully 2010 will be even better. :drool:

frenchie
Nov 1st, 2009, 03:49 PM
"amazing" is an overused word. good year yes, not as good as in the past but a good year all the same

2 GS + YEC = amazing year to me:confused:

who cares about a first round loss in Marbella??

n1ko0
Nov 1st, 2009, 03:50 PM
she played well where it mattered, and the titles she did win were VERY big

MrSerenaWilliams
50-12
3 Titles (AO, W, YEC)
6+ Million Dollars is prize money

One of the best years by any player this decade (below 2002 and 2007)

kiwifan
The entire rest of the WTA would kill to have a "good year" if that's all Serena did this year...

...I guess everyone else just flat out sucks if Serena was merely "good". :lol:

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Agreed - this is her best year in a long long time.

MBM
Nov 1st, 2009, 03:51 PM
"amazing" suggests that it was unexpected and that it took your breath away/dazzled you. for me her win against Maria in 2007 AO was amazing, but I fully expected her to win slams and have a shot at this tourney so she is just fulfilling my expectations

John.
Nov 1st, 2009, 03:52 PM

This

MBM
Nov 1st, 2009, 03:53 PM
by "good", I mean by her standards. if anne keothavong had done that this year it would be amazing

anon57
Nov 1st, 2009, 03:57 PM
Serena had a great year and indeed any other player would have loved to have a season like Serena but she had to many early losses and played poorly outside of the GS to often this year for it to be an amazing year imo. Though if you take her singles and doubls results together this year it really is quite the accomplishment:yeah:

Talula
Nov 1st, 2009, 03:58 PM
It was an amazing year. She could have won RG and the US Open and 2 GSs and the YEC is something all other players wold give anything for. Even though I really hated what she did at the US Open, I take my hat off to her. If she really goes for it 2010 could be an even better year.

MrSerenaWilliams
Nov 1st, 2009, 04:04 PM
Better than 2007 and 2008 combined. :worship: Hopefully 2010 will be even better. :drool:

Better than 2004-2008 combined :sobbing:

tennnisfannn
Nov 1st, 2009, 04:11 PM
by "good", I mean by her standards. if anne keothavong had done that this year it would be amazing
If Anne accompishes what serena did this year in her entire career, it would be a stunning career!

AkademiQ
Nov 1st, 2009, 04:13 PM
Looking at the whole year, Serena could and should have achieved more at non-slams and probably should have had 3/4's of the slams, but even with the could/should haves, she had a good year and the YEC was the cherry on top and I'm so happy for her. Ending the year especially on a high note is very important.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Nov 1st, 2009, 04:15 PM
5 Grandslams + YEC + Year End #1 + 6.2 Million $:worship: :worship:

dreamgoddess099
Nov 1st, 2009, 04:18 PM
Though if you take her singles and doubls results together this year it really is quite the accomplishment:yeah:

Exactly, people are forgetting that she won three slams in doubles as well.
Sounds like a pretty damn good year to me.:worship:

Vee Williams
Nov 1st, 2009, 04:22 PM
With 11 Grand Slams, Serena has more titles than all the other active Grand Slam winners (whose last name is not Williams) combined :worship:

Kuznetsova with 2
Sharapova with 3
Mauresmo with 2
Ivanovic with 1
Clijsters with 2

bandabou
Nov 1st, 2009, 04:40 PM
A great year for sure..she and her sister dominated the field at the doubles majors, she had two big major wins and now the YEC with impressive play. Had she won a couple of lil titles it'd have been an amazing year.

All in all, quite pleased with her year.

new-york
Nov 1st, 2009, 04:42 PM
amazing year indeed.
i really hope she keeps it up.
it's truly amazing how she manages to get it together at the biggest stages.

she'll certainly be motivated to get the AO and with Kim and Joost, some interesting things may happen.

Gogogo.

Matt01
Nov 1st, 2009, 04:54 PM

I do. And Serena should to do so, too. Either that or she shouldn't play the MM tournaments when can't get herself motivated to play some decent tennis in them.

Congrats for a good year, Serena :worship:

Donny
Nov 1st, 2009, 04:58 PM
I do. And Serena should to do so, too. Either that or she shouldn't play the MM tournaments when can't get herself motivated to play some decent tennis in them.

Maybe she wanted the appearance fees?

Matt01
Nov 1st, 2009, 05:18 PM
Maybe she wanted the appearance fees?

Obviously she wanted them. She showed up at Marbella to collect them even though she was injured and then tanked. I find that objectable.

Vlover
Nov 1st, 2009, 05:19 PM

As she stated the WTA is forcing her to play them, so she shows up and lose in the 1st round and be on her way.:lol: As a side note, Justine's best year also included 2 majors + YEC + others =#1. It is remarkable that Serena is able to achieve this with only 2 majors + YEC not to mention the 0's in her tally. There is no question players and fans think she is the best player and the one to beat right now.

Olórin
Nov 1st, 2009, 05:22 PM
Serena Williams, the toast of the tennis-world yet again :bigclap:

AnomyBC
Nov 1st, 2009, 05:23 PM
Well results-wise it's probably her best year since 2002, but I don't think it's because her level of play improved, it's just because there was less competition with no Henin, no Clijsters for most of the year, Sharapova recovering from her shoulder injury, Mauresmo mostly out of the picture, Jankovic and Ivanovic slumping and Safina being a headcase who can't win big matches. If all those players, or even most of them, were active and playing well then it's very conceivable that Serena could have gone the whole year without winning a single title. It will be interesting to see if she can keep it up next year with what should be a higher level of competition.

Morrissey
Nov 1st, 2009, 05:24 PM
Was this YEC final result a surprise? Venus sucks.

serenafann
Nov 1st, 2009, 05:25 PM
Year =:worship:

Donny
Nov 1st, 2009, 05:31 PM
Well results-wise it's probably her best year since 2002, but I don't think it's because her level of play improved, it's just because there was less competition with no Henin, no Clijsters for most of the year, Sharapova recovering from her shoulder injury, Mauresmo mostly out of the picture, Jankovic and Ivanovic slumping and Safina being a headcase who can't win big matches. If all those players, or even most of them, were active and playing well then it's very conceivable that Serena could have gone the whole year without winning a single title. It will be interesting to see if she can keep it up next year with what should be a higher level of competition.

It's also conceivable that those players playing well could have knocked out Kuznetsova and CLijsters at the FO and USO respectively, and Serena could've won the calendar slam.

See how cool hypotheticals are?

BuTtErFrEnA
Nov 1st, 2009, 05:55 PM

what utter bullshit :rolls: need i remind you serena has had no problems beating any of them and leads them all in their respective h-2-h???? and with a combined h-2-h of 28 - 13??? really?? :lol: but ok

Serendy Willick
Nov 1st, 2009, 06:27 PM
Since you want to start B.S. Maybe Henin wouldnt have won the YEC in 07 if Serena wasnt injured:rolleyes:. Its not her fault that Clijsters chose to sit on her ass for the rest of the year. Serena is a champion point fucking blank. Thank you Serena for making my day and not leaving 09 with that mess at the US Open. Please come ready to play in 2010 so you can shut up all the Henin/Clijsters fans.

gmokb
Nov 1st, 2009, 06:41 PM
Her losses in non-slam events were disappointing but I got to agree, this was an awesome year for Serena. She showed why she always says she is the true #1 player. Its going to be interested to see what if any further punishment is coming her way but I can't see a ban from AO.

Congrats to her and hopefully she will have an even better year in 2010.:worship::worship:

hingisGOAT
Nov 1st, 2009, 06:45 PM
Yeah she sure has been dominating the Tour ever since her rivals left the game :tape:

Kenny
Nov 1st, 2009, 06:48 PM

Not to mention people would give their left arm for ayear like this.. whatever.. people hate just to hate.

Serendy Willick
Nov 1st, 2009, 06:48 PM
Yeah she sure has been dominating the Tour ever since her rivals left the game :tape:
Please she humiliated Henin in their last match before she went into her fake retirement:rolleyes:, Kim finally beats her in a slam 10 years after they started playing(still only two losses to Clijsters). We surely wont go there about how she used Hingis serve as target practice:rolleyes:

Kenny
Nov 1st, 2009, 06:49 PM
LOL yeah, because Hingis sure tested her! That cocaine just didn't do the trick.

HRHoliviasmith
Nov 1st, 2009, 07:03 PM

yes...and? :unsure: that 6.2 mill is still going to spend the same way. :shrug:

Vlover
Nov 1st, 2009, 07:16 PM
Note well that they voluntarily left, so whose problem is that.:scratch: Too bad they can't live a "normal" life and win tennis championships at the same time.:shrug:

Olórin
Nov 1st, 2009, 07:32 PM
Note well that they voluntarily left, so whose problem is that.:scratch: Too bad they can't live a "normal" life and win tennis championships at the same time.:shrug:

Hingis was banned, I hardly call that voluntary :lol: Unless of course you discount her as a rival in that she certainly wasn't competing well with Serena when she retired.

SAEKeithSerena
Nov 1st, 2009, 07:48 PM
amazing year, Serena. am absolutely proud of you!

i hope 2010 brings you even better fortune :) i'm so greedy :)

Vlover
Nov 1st, 2009, 08:01 PM
Hingis was banned, I hardly call that voluntary :lol: Unless of course you discount her as a rival in that she certainly wasn't competing well with Serena when she retired.
I take it that he wasn't referring to Hingis as a rival either but the other quitter.;) Like many other Hingis fans I think he hopped on to the Justine bandwagon also.

AnomyBC
Nov 1st, 2009, 08:09 PM
what utter bullshit :rolls: need i remind you serena has had no problems beating any of them and leads them all in their respective h-2-h???? and with a combined h-2-h of 28 - 13??? really?? :lol: but ok

Well Clijsters came back and immediately beat her at the US Open, doesn't that say anything? And why hasn't Serena been able to win more than 1 major title a year since 2003? The bottom line is she's had this level of success this year because there was very little competition. No reasonable person would dispute that.

Donny
Nov 1st, 2009, 08:12 PM
Well Clijsters came back and immediately beat her at the US Open, doesn't that say anything? And why hasn't Serena been able to win more than 1 major title a year since 2003? The bottom line is she's had this level of success this year because there was very little competition. No reasonable person would dispute that.

And Henin's 03 and 06 seasons? Were those due to lack of competition?

BuTtErFrEnA
Nov 1st, 2009, 08:33 PM

:tape:

you actually believe this??? :lol: why does everyone have to start at 03??? is that because jh only started winning while serena had to go for knee surgery??

AnomyBC
Nov 1st, 2009, 08:39 PM

you actually believe this??? :lol: why does everyone have to start at 03??? is that because jh only started winning while serena had to go for knee surgery??

Do you actually have an argument here? Because if you do, I don't understand what it is :shrug:

AnomyBC
Nov 1st, 2009, 08:50 PM
And Henin's 03 and 06 seasons? Were those due to lack of competition?

Yes, to an extent they were, but she still had much more competition than Serena had in 2009. Myskina, Kuznetsova, Mauresmo, Venus, Sharapova and Clijsters also benefitted from reduced levels of competition at one point or another.

EDIT: And actually, the year Justine benefited was 2007, not 2003 or 2006. 2003 was pretty competitive and she only won the French in 2006.

SVK
Nov 1st, 2009, 08:51 PM
I must say that she really deserves it

hdfb
Nov 1st, 2009, 09:04 PM
Great year I must say! I think the only reason why some aren't calling it great is because of what might could have been at the USO. ;)

I still reckon she had her best chance of getting the Grand Slam this year.

Olórin
Nov 1st, 2009, 09:07 PM
Yes, to an extent they were, but she still had much more competition than Serena had in 2009. Myskina, Kuznetsova, Mauresmo, Venus and Sharapova also benefitted from reduced levels of competition at one point or another.

EDIT: And actually, the year Justine benefited was 2007, not 2003 or 2006. 2003 was pretty competitive and she only won the French in 2006.

Yes, it's funny how the lull in competition actually coincides with when said player is playing their best tennis.

This kind of reasoning is futile. You can pick apart seasons and rank them all you want and to whatever end you choose to argue. However, when a player has been on tour for a lengthy period of time their results start to become more than the sum of their parts. In other words the level of competition, give or take a multi-slam champion doesn't matter that much.

Even with something as huge as Monica Seles' stabbing most people these days tend to overlook Graf's lack of competition for about 12 slams and thereafter when Monica was a reduced player. In short, and this is hardly a revelation: very few people actually care about the competition so much as the one they are competing with. In this case, Ms. S. Williams :)

bandabou
Nov 1st, 2009, 09:19 PM

Nah, I don't quite agree. The two majors Serena won..who was gonna beat her there? Serena is the queen of the Oz, so it don't matter who was or wasn't there. Wimbledon, when you beat 5-time winner Venus in the finals..then that's it no?

BlameSerena
Nov 1st, 2009, 09:27 PM
Yes this is one of her best years in a while. I'm sooooooooo stoked for her! :yeah:

venusallday
Nov 1st, 2009, 09:35 PM
Don't forget: She also had the most talked about magazine cover of the year! step to this.

I wish Venus could have another year like this, and I believe that she can!

AnomyBC
Nov 1st, 2009, 09:40 PM
Yes, it's funny how the lull in competition actually coincides with when said player is playing their best tennis.

This kind of reasoning is futile. You can pick apart seasons and rank them all you want and to whatever end you choose to argue. However, when a player has been on tour for a lengthy period of time their results start to become more than the sum of their parts. In other words the level of competition, give or take a multi-slam champion doesn't matter that much.

Even with something as huge as Monica Seles' stabbing most people these days tend to overlook Graf's lack of competition for about 12 slams and thereafter when Monica was a reduced player. In short, and this is hardly a revelation: very few people actually care about the competition so much as the one they are competing with. In this case, Ms. S. Williams :)

No, the lulls in competition don't coincide with when a player is playing their best tennis, but they do, of course, often coincide with when a player gets their best results. This past YEC and US Open are two great examples of that....

At the YEC, Serena clearly was not playing anywhere near her best, but yet she was able to dominate like in no other YEC she's ever played before. Why is this? Presumably it's because there was no Henin, Clijsters or Sharapova and most of the players who were there were injured.

And then we have Clijsters at this past US Open. She played her best tennis from 2001-2005 and during most of those years she never won a slam, but then this year she wins one in the third tournament she plays after being gone for 2 years. Is this because she's playing better now or because the level of competition has decreased? Presumably it's the latter.

And as far as Graf and Seles, I don't think that's true at all. I think almost everyone DOES consider the Seles stabbing when talking about Graf's accomplishments.

AnomyBC
Nov 1st, 2009, 09:44 PM
Don't forget: She also had the most talked about magazine cover of the year! step to this.

Actually, I think that was Miley Cyrus, but that's ok, I often get them confused myself :lol:

RenaSlam.
Nov 1st, 2009, 09:45 PM
No, the lulls in competition don't coincide with when a player is playing their best tennis, but they do, of course, often coincide with when a player gets their best results. This past YEC and US Open are two great examples of that....

At the YEC, Serena clearly was not playing anywhere near her best, but yet she was able to dominate like in no other YEC she's ever played before. Why is this? Presumably it's because there was no Henin, Clijsters or Sharapova and most of the players who were there were injured.

And then we have Clijsters at this past US Open. She played her best tennis from 2001-2005 and during most of those years she never won a slam, but then this year she wins one in the third tournament she plays after being gone for 2 years. Is this because she's playing better now or because the level of competition has decreased? Presumably it's the latter.

And as far as Graf and Seles, I don't think that's true at all. I think almost everyone DOES consider the Seles stabbing when talking about Graf's accomplishments.

Not sure why Sharapova's name is thrown in here. Sharapova hasn't beaten Serena since the YEC in 2004. :tape:

Matt01
Nov 1st, 2009, 09:46 PM

When Serena had her knee surgery, Henin already DOMINATED women's tennis :lol:

venusallday
Nov 1st, 2009, 09:56 PM

Even Clijsters called her match against Serena in the Semi's the "best match I ever played." I think she would know. As a fan or both, I completely agree that it was the best she has ever, and I mean EVER, played.

joking much? Didn't she only have one French by that time from a tourny she cheated to win. What's your definition of "domination?" I like to know what they are teaching children these days.

Matt01
Nov 1st, 2009, 10:03 PM
joking much? Didn't she only have one French by that time from a tourny she cheated to win. What's your definition of "domination?" I like to know what they are teaching children these days.

My definition of "domination" is not only caring about the Slams but about all tournaments. And in 2003, cheating or not, from Dubai on, Justine was winning the tournaments left and right. Beating Serena at two big tournaments (Charleston and RG) included.

manu32
Nov 1st, 2009, 10:07 PM
She Is The Best

AnomyBC
Nov 1st, 2009, 10:10 PM
Not sure why Sharapova's name is thrown in here. Sharapova hasn't beaten Serena since the YEC in 2004. :tape:

Obviously, had it not been for shoulder injury, Sharapova would have won many more matches against Serena and hopefully she still will.

thrust
Nov 1st, 2009, 10:11 PM
Serena did indeed have a very good year, but she did benefit from low quality competition. The only top quality players she played were Venus and Kim. Maria, Jelena, Ana, Safina, and Elena had bad years. Sveta woke up at the FO and in China, otherwise she was very inconsistant too.

HRHoliviasmith
Nov 1st, 2009, 10:13 PM
Obviously, had it not been for shoulder injury, Sharapova would have won many more matches against Serena and hopefully she still will.

coulda...shoulda...woulda...

AnomyBC
Nov 1st, 2009, 10:23 PM
Even Clijsters called her match against Serena in the Semi's the "best match I ever played." I think she would know. As a fan or both, I completely agree that it was the best she has ever, and I mean EVER, played.

First of all, players always say things like that after a big win. Second, since she's a player who's lost most of her previous big matches, it's natural to see a match where she wins as being a better performance, but logically it's hard to imagine any reason why she'd be playing better now, after not playing for two years, then when she was at the prime of her career. The much more logical explanation is that it simply appeared that she was playing some of her best tennis simply because Serena wasn't. Also, I think we, as viewers, have gotten so used to mediocre tennis these last few years that it now takes less to impress us. What seems like a great match in 2009 may have only seemed like a good match in 2003.

Lucemferre
Nov 1st, 2009, 10:28 PM

No she dominated clay. Serena was already the winner of two majors before her surgery. Justin and Kim benefitted from Williams injuries in 2003 and that's a fact. You can keep deluding yourself into thinking otherwise.

Lucemferre
Nov 1st, 2009, 10:33 PM
Serena did indeed have a very good year, but she did benefit from low quality competition. The only top quality players she played were Venus and Kim. Maria, Jelena, Ana, Safina, and Elena had bad years. Sveta woke up at the FO and in China, otherwise she was very inconsistant too.

As if all of the above were ever threats to Serena. So what if Ana,Safina,Jelena blah blah played well? They would still lose. Venus can't beat her little sister anyway. Kim took her by surprise and also she was fresh as a daisy when everybody had the wear and tear of long season. Serena is the last person to be questioned about quality. She is the queen of quality.

Why so bitter? :dance:

BuTtErFrEnA
Nov 1st, 2009, 10:36 PM
do you need to ask? :lol:

The Daviator
Nov 1st, 2009, 10:41 PM

Because Serena prevented them from winning titles? I suppose had Dementieva won those two GS semis against Serena, suddenly she'd become a 'top' player and would have had an amazing year. Well she couldn't because S. Williams was there, same with Safina, Azarenka and the like :)

Lulu.
Nov 1st, 2009, 10:47 PM
Great year indeed. :yeah:

SV_Fan
Nov 1st, 2009, 10:48 PM
Never have I seen so many people get owned in one thread.

This is hilarious

Nickk
Nov 1st, 2009, 11:52 PM
It was a mediocre year. Even Ivanovic did better.

betowiec
Nov 1st, 2009, 11:54 PM
It was a mediocre year. Even Ivanovic did better.
surely

not

Golovinjured.
Nov 2nd, 2009, 12:22 AM
eh it was okay

Ntour
Nov 2nd, 2009, 01:54 AM
I think it was a great year for serena, she played really well at the big events (as she always does) she can't choose who she plays, she played everyone who came up against her and she beat them. thats all you can ask of a player. you can speculate all you want as to what would've happened had Henin,Clijsters etc. been in her draws but there is no way you can know what could've happened.

the only thing i have an issue with is serena not playing better at some of the non slams, I mean its kinda her fault for letting the number one ranking become a joke, she is letting the lesser players collect all the non slam points. I am in no way a serena fan but you can't deny the fact that this was a great year.

HRHoliviasmith
Nov 2nd, 2009, 02:01 AM
I think it was a great year for serena, she played really well at the big events (as she always does) she can't choose who she plays, she played everyone who came up against her and she beat them. thats all you can ask of a player. you can speculate all you want as to what would've happened had Henin,Clijsters etc. been in her draws but there is no way you can know what could've happened.

the only thing i have an issue with is serena not playing better at some of the non slams, I mean its kinda her fault for letting the number one ranking become a joke, she is letting the lesser players collect all the non slam points. I am in no way a serena fan but you can't deny the fact that this was a great year.

good post! :worship:

LightWarrior
Nov 2nd, 2009, 02:29 AM
Very good year indeed. Although I'm pretty sure she could have won all 4 majors and this was probably her last chance this year. Unfortunately the stupid mandatory RM got in the way. And Kim Clijsters. But she should have won RG.

Golovinjured.
Nov 2nd, 2009, 03:25 AM

Ugh, we know what happened with Clijsters in the draw..

Good post nonetheless, this is about where I'm at :D

Andy.
Nov 2nd, 2009, 04:34 AM
It was a good yeah but not great IMO. She won a total of 3 tournaments was basically irrelivent outside the slams. I know they were three huge titles but when was the last time a YE number 1 had so few titles. Im not sure whats worse Serena being number 1 after only showing up to play in 5 or 6 events a year or someone being number 1 due to being extreamly consistant, winning heaps of non slam titles but not winning a slam. No one can debate that she isnt a great champion I just wish she would show the rest of the tour a little more respect and would show up to regular tournaments with the same intensity as she does for the slams.

Petkorazzi
Nov 2nd, 2009, 04:39 AM
And to think how better it would have been had she bothered to play like 10% in any event other than the the 6 important ones.

RenaSlam.
Nov 2nd, 2009, 04:41 AM

"would have"...

You could insert that after any tennis player's name.

Ackms421
Nov 2nd, 2009, 05:48 AM
It was a great year. Two slams and YEC is awesome. Only a handful have ever done that. 11 is still too low for her though. Hopefully she gets 3-4 more in the next couple years. But, both of these girls may play for well longer than many people typically believe, so she might have plenty of time to beef up her slam count and have another couple "great" years like this one.