PDA

View Full Version : Peer in Bali - "as long - as there are no Israeli *objects* on display"

The Jabberwock
Nov 1st, 2009, 12:05 PM
http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2009/10/29/lisicki-date-join-list-12-bali-event.html

Lisicki, Date join list of 12 for Bali event

Ary Hermawan , The Jakarta Post , Jakarta | Thu, 10/29/2009 1:54 PM | Sports

Germany's Sabine Lisicki and Kimiko Date Krumm of Japan have been given wild cards for the last two berths at the inaugural Commonwealth Bank Tournament of Champions in Bali next week.

The two players, whose inclusions were announced Wednesday in a press release, will join 10 other players who qualified for the event after winning at least one of the 30 WTA Tour-sanctioned international tournaments.

Among the contenders at the US$600,000 season-ending event is Shahar Peer of Israel, whose qualification has drawn media attention, given the sensitivity within the Indonesian public - predominantly Muslims - stemming from what they consider Israel's tough stance on Palestine.

The Jerusalem Post reported Tuesday that the Indonesian government had granted a visa to Peer, although Jakarta has no diplomatic ties with Tel Aviv and has long been a harsh critic of the country.

The government's decision has left the 22-year-old visibly relieved.

"I'm happy this issue has been settled and that I can play in Bali," Peer said as quoted by The Jerusalem Post.

"I'm looking forward to this event and I'm especially pleased with the fact that the Dubai scandal did not repeat itself."

In February, Peer missed out on the Dubai Tennis Championships after the United Arab Emirates, which also has no diplomatic relation with Israel, denied her a visa, citing security fears.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Teuku Faizasyah, when asked about Peer's coming to Indonesia, said he would seek confirmation from the Indonesian Embassy in Singapore.

"Looking at the past, I think there's no reason to bar her from coming to Indonesia for a sporting event as long - as there are no Israeli *objects* on display at the tournament, such as the flag," he said.

Israeli citizens with dual nationalities often use their second passport to enter Indonesia. An affidavit is usually issued for Israelis with a single nationality, as Indonesian immigration officers do not stamp Israeli passports.

In June, the government allowed four Israelis to attend a UN meeting that it hosted on Palestine.

Peer qualified for the Bali event, running from Nov. 4 to 8, after winning back-to-back titles in Guangzhou and Tashkent in September.

She made headlines earlier in the year over the Dubai debacle, which came amid outrage in the Muslim world over the Israeli military offensive against Hamas in the Gaza Strip.

"We have worked very hard to make the Commonwealth Bank Tournament of Champions one of the best tournaments on *the WTA* Tour, and I am sure that players and fans will enjoy an exciting week of tennis in a spectacular location in Bali," the tournament director was quoted as saying.

Bali contenders
Marion Bartoli (FRA), Smantha Stosur (AUS), Yanina Wickmayer (BEL), Anabel Medina Garrigues (ESP), Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez (ESP), Melinda Czink (HUN), Aravane Rezai (FRA), Magdalena Rybarikova (SVK), Shahar Peer (ISR), Agnes Szavay (HUN), Sabine Lisicki (GER), Kimiko Date Krumm (JPN)

Dani12
Nov 1st, 2009, 12:10 PM
I feel so sorry for Shahar, what is the world coming to. honestly.

The Jabberwock
Nov 1st, 2009, 12:15 PM
I don't want to reveal the following top secret:
Shahar has a small icon of the Israeli flag on the back of her shoes.
Please keep it privately in order to let her play the event.
Thank you.
:secret:

shirgan
Nov 1st, 2009, 12:19 PM
oh what a nice provocation, maybe if you stir things up enough she won't be able to play and you will be able to post another popular thread with dozens of responses. I am so proud of you :rolleyes:

olivero
Nov 1st, 2009, 12:21 PM
It would be amazing if Shahar would win this tournament or at least reach the final.

Harvs
Nov 1st, 2009, 12:23 PM
well the main thing is that she can play, we cant really ask for much more than that right now...

this all goes a shitload deeper than her just not being allowed to run around with a flag which some people here dont understand for some reason..

The Jabberwock
Nov 1st, 2009, 12:26 PM
oh what a nice provocation, maybe if you stir things up enough she won't be able to play and you will be able to post another popular thread with dozens of responses. I am so proud of you :rolleyes:

:confused:
It's on Israeli press.
http://www.ynet.co.il/articles/0,7340,L-3798177,00.html

Anyway, I asked to keep it privately...
:lol:

shirgan
Nov 1st, 2009, 12:31 PM
:confused:
It's on Israeli press.
http://www.ynet.co.il/articles/0,7340,L-3798177,00.html

Anyway, I asked to keep it privately...
:lol:
sadly like more than a few Israelis, you seem to be completely addicted to the drama of it all, you have no regard to what it takes to build something with value and preserve it :o

Rising Sun
Nov 1st, 2009, 12:34 PM
Indonesia has no diplomatic relations with Israel. Did you expect the Indonesian Government to hand out a visa to her without setting conditions? It's all formalities. Hardly a big deal.

The Jabberwock
Nov 1st, 2009, 12:43 PM
sadly like more than a few Israelis, you seem to be completely addicted to the drama of it all, you have no regard to what it takes to build something with value and preserve it :o

I don't think so, but, OK.

Volcana
Nov 1st, 2009, 01:44 PM
I don't want to reveal the following top secret:
Shahar has a small icon of the Israeli flag on the back of her shoes.
Please keep it privately in order to let her play the event.
Thank you.A 'small icon' on the back of a shoe is hardly, 'on display'. Who's going to see it? Who CAN see it, unless they're staring at the backs of her shoes while lying on the ground?

Also, she doesn't seem an idiot, so I'm sure any condition she's agreed to, she'll abide by. Meaning the shoes were already okay'd, or she'll wear different shoes.
I feel so sorry for Shahar, what is the world coming to. honestly.Agree. It's a sad day when human rights is somehow considered more important than sports. Oh wait a minute....

dany.p
Nov 1st, 2009, 01:49 PM
So if she came out with "Israeli objects on display", what would happen?

Would she get disqualified?

markdelaney
Nov 1st, 2009, 03:32 PM
As a country with this record on human rights violations condemned by both the Human Rights Group and Amnesty International, perhaps Indonesia's government should spend a bit less time worrying about conditions in Israel and sort their own place out first ?

Unlawful killings by security force personnel, terrorists, vigilante groups, and mobs; torture; harsh prison conditions; arbitrary detentions; a corrupt judicial system; warrantless searches; infringements on free speech; restrictions on peaceful assembly; interference with freedom of religion by private parties, sometimes with complicity of local officials; intercommunal religious violence; violence and sexual abuse against women and children; trafficking in persons; failure to enforce labour standards and violations of worker rights, including forced child labour,cases of extrajudicial executions, torture and excessive use of force.

Governments should butt out of sport as very few of them (mine included) are in a position to criticise other nations. No athlete representing any nation in the world, should be held accountable for what the government of their nation does.

Willam
Nov 1st, 2009, 03:44 PM
i hope someone pulls out a huge israeli flag in the middle of her match.

and what are they going to do if she wins the tournament? they will present the runner up flag but not hers? right.

shirgan
Nov 1st, 2009, 03:57 PM
just like del potro that was prevented from speaking in spanish at the U.S. open, if they actually prevent the winner from exposing her origin that will reflect badly on Indonesia. But as I said about the visa issue as well, this is just hypothetical drama. Let's just wait and see what happens.

Fantasy Hero
Nov 1st, 2009, 04:08 PM
i wish her to win it all and someone to take out some flags during her matches :yeah:

mboyle
Nov 1st, 2009, 04:24 PM
i hope someone pulls out a huge israeli flag in the middle of her match.

Me too. I think the United States needs to stop recognizing countries that do not recognize Israel. Anti-semitism should not be tolerated, and using one's Muslim religion as an excuse should no longer be allowed.

kiwifan
Nov 1st, 2009, 05:14 PM
Me too. I think the United States needs to stop recognizing countries that do not recognize Israel. Anti-semitism should not be tolerated, and using one's Muslim religion as an excuse should no longer be allowed.

You're a little confused. Jewish and Israel are not the same. Jews from all over the world who aren't Israeli are not excluded from policies directed at Israelis. No country is above criticism, sanction or any other negative reaction from other nations.

This isn't about religion or race, it is politics. Now you can debate whether it is good politics, some feel that defending Palestine human rights is a valid concern (sadly most don't care).

Volcana
Nov 1st, 2009, 07:15 PM

Would she get disqualified?Are you kidding? She'd be deported. And the tournament would claim in earnest sincerity that they DIDN'T disqualify her.i wish her to win it all and someone to take out some flags during her matches :yeah:I don't if if displaying the Israeli flag itself is banned, or if it's just that SHE can't. However, I do wish you were there so you could be the one that unfurls the giant Israeli flag and starts waving it.

Volcana
Nov 1st, 2009, 07:21 PM
As a country with this record on human rights violations condemned by both the Human Rights Group and Amnesty International, perhaps Indonesia's government should spend a bit less time worrying about conditions in Israel and sort their own place out first ?

Unlawful killings by security force personnel, terrorists, vigilante groups, and mobs; torture; harsh prison conditions; arbitrary detentions; a corrupt judicial system; warrantless searches; infringements on free speech; restrictions on peaceful assembly; interference with freedom of religion by private parties, sometimes with complicity of local officials; intercommunal religious violence; violence and sexual abuse against women and children; trafficking in persons; failure to enforce labour standards and violations of worker rights, including forced child labour,cases of extrajudicial executions, torture and excessive use of force.

Governments should butt out of sport as very few of them (mine included) are in a position to criticise other nations. No athlete representing any nation in the world, should be held accountable for what the government of their nation does.Mark - I going to take this post, and start a different thread (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?p=16761552#post16761552) in Non-Tennis over it, because you raise an interesting point, but one I disagree with.

However, it's a political discussion, so I won't bore the tennis aficianados with it.

KournikovaFan91
Nov 1st, 2009, 07:40 PM

Would she get disqualified?

No just deported.

Well problem solved then, she can play as long as she doesn't explicitly show an Israeli flag etc.

KournikovaFan91
Nov 1st, 2009, 10:57 PM
No you should donate it to Palestine where their agony isn't a once off like an earthquake or tsunami is.

dany.p
Nov 2nd, 2009, 03:44 PM
okay so just to clarify, displaying israeli objects is illegal in Indonesia, right? Cause you guys are talking about deportation which is pretty serious.

ZODIAC
Nov 2nd, 2009, 04:43 PM
I think she will be booed mercilessly in Bali...

KournikovaFan91
Nov 2nd, 2009, 04:50 PM
The relationship between Indonesia and Israel was improving untill 2006 with the Lebanon war and also the recent war in Gaza.

So I think as long as Israeli flags or symbols aren't on display then she is ok to play. Which must mean the Scoreboards won't be those flashy ones with the flags ont them I assume.

But yes she may be booed by the crowd.

WonderfulLee
Nov 2nd, 2009, 04:52 PM
i doubt it....Bali is different world than other area in Indonesia.

but i will not surprise if there is a protest outside venues...:help:

KournikovaFan91
Nov 2nd, 2009, 04:54 PM
but i will not surprise if there is a protest outside venues...:help:

Well South African athletes put up with protests for years so I am sure she will manage.

Ferg
Nov 2nd, 2009, 04:59 PM
I doubt ordinary Bali people will give a fuck. :shrug: Im sure her matches wont be affected in regards to the booing.

ZODIAC
Nov 2nd, 2009, 05:18 PM
I doubt ordinary Bali people will give a fuck. :shrug: Im sure her matches wont be affected in regards to the booing.
not when they are chanting ...Israeli go home!!.....

Donny
Nov 2nd, 2009, 05:30 PM

I wasn't aware Israel was a US state. If it is and I wasn't aware, then I guess it makes sense to base our foreign policy around them.

KournikovaFan91
Nov 2nd, 2009, 05:30 PM

A lot of people are political so it wouldn't surprise me, like there was issues at AO and it isn't a muslim country like Indonesia.

young_gunner913
Nov 2nd, 2009, 09:13 PM
fuck bali.

Tamus
Nov 2nd, 2009, 09:32 PM
just like del potro that was prevented from speaking in spanish at the U.S. open

huh, when did that happen?

twight6
Nov 2nd, 2009, 09:47 PM

Why? The US doesn't need to "pick a side." We can support Israel, but many countries have very legitimate reasons for not recognizing Israel. For us to choose to not recognize them would be asanine, especially since we would have no substantial reason for doing so. As was said above, Israel is not a US state.

And, I think Faizasyah's statement was also legitimate. Is there any reason why Peer should be able to flash her country flag around? If Indonesia does not recognize Israel, then clearly the people of Bali are not going to support Peer or Israel. Players should be politically separated from their country, you say? Then, Peer should be able to separate herself from her country for the sake of politics in one tournament.

KournikovaFan91
Nov 2nd, 2009, 11:04 PM
Why? The US doesn't need to "pick a side." We can support Israel, but many countries have very legitimate reasons for not recognizing Israel. For us to choose to not recognize them would be asanine, especially since we would have no substantial reason for doing so. As was said above, Israel is not a US state.

And, I think Faizasyah's statement was also legitimate. Is there any reason why Peer should be able to flash her country flag around? If Indonesia does not recognize Israel, then clearly the people of Bali are not going to support Peer or Israel. Players should be politically separated from their country, you say? Then, Peer should be able to separate herself from her country for the sake of politics in one tournament.

I agree, the US would be anti-muslim by not recognising these nations, but people seem to think that is ok. For people to say these muslim nations have no legitimate reason not to recognise Israel when their Muslim brothers and sisters are regularly killed by Israel is ridiculous.

There is no reason why the US should cut off its nose to spite its face.

As long as Peer doesn't start waving flags etc. there isn't even an issue.

Ferg
Nov 2nd, 2009, 11:12 PM

I dont remember the exact details but i think Juan asked if he could say something in Spanish to his family and supporters back home and the guy said he couldnt, but he did anyway. :lol:

tennisbum79
Nov 2nd, 2009, 11:19 PM
People, get our of the fantasy that sports and politics do not miss. Of course they do.

Imagine Venus or Serena or any other US palyer going to Lybia or Cuba for an exho.
The entire US, not just Miami will in uproar.

The sisters would be accused of insensitivity, arrogance, selfishness, seeking publicity.

A Magicman
Nov 2nd, 2009, 11:35 PM
For people to say these muslim nations have no legitimate reason not to recognise Israel when their Muslim brothers and sisters are regularly killed by Israel is ridiculous.

So I guess there is a legitimate reason for the entire Western World to cut ties with Indonesia, too, as they were slaughtering almost 200.000 of our Christian brothers and sisters in Timor-Leste.

Judging by Indonesian-set standards, that should be just fair enough.

Buitenzorg
Nov 2nd, 2009, 11:46 PM
the "Peer Saga" continues....:lol:

Volcana
Nov 2nd, 2009, 11:54 PM
I wasn't aware Israel was a US state. If it is and I wasn't aware, then I guess it makes sense to base our foreign policy around them.Well, it's true that one reason so many Jews want Jonathan Pollard released is that he was really a spy for Alabama.

KournikovaFan91
Nov 3rd, 2009, 12:19 AM
So I guess there is a legitimate reason for the entire Western World to cut ties with Indonesia, too, as they were slaughtering almost 200.000 of our Christian brothers and sisters in Timor-Leste.

If countries that are officialy Christian wanted to do that it wouldn't be an issue imo.

twight6
Nov 3rd, 2009, 12:46 AM

That's not their only reason for not recognizing Israel, though. Most of these Muslim countries don't feel Israel should ever have been "given" back to the Jewish people, so obviously they are not going to recognize it.

But whatever, that isn't the point of this thread, and this has nothing to do with tennis so I will let my opinion rest at that.

ZODIAC
Nov 3rd, 2009, 01:19 AM
it seems the WTA caters to Peer too much...

shirgan
Nov 3rd, 2009, 02:29 AM
http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/249701/september-17-2009/sport-report---u-s--open---nfl-wheel-of-scandal

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/16/sports/tennis/16enberg.html

Corswandt
Nov 4th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Shahar's gear for this tournament:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/LordFlasheart/capt_fb14233c5281483aa0c10e4e2e7fd4.jpg

"IDF? It's just a sponsor acronym. You know, like KFC."

:devil: