PDA

View Full Version : Going in to 2010, we'll have 16 active GS final matchups!

hankqq
Nov 1st, 2009, 08:41 AM
I remember seeing an interview with Navratilova once in which she said that whenever 2 players met in a slam final, all their future matches would forever be special to both them and the tennis world. That got me thinking about how many active GS final matchups we'll have going into 2010 :)

13 active players have been in a slam final, and there are 16 different matchups :cool:

here are the matchups in chronological order, and the number in parentheses refers to how many times the matchup has occured in a slam final if it was more than once:

1. Venus vs. Henin
2. Venus vs. Serena (8)
3. Henin vs. Clijsters (3)
4. Serena vs. Sharapova (2)
5. Kuznetsova vs. Dementieva
6. Henin vs. Kuznetsova (2)
7. Henin vs. Sharapova
8. Henin vs. Ivanovic
9. Venus vs. Bartoli
10. Sharapova vs. Ivanovic
11. Ivanovic vs. Safina
12. Serena vs. Jankovic
13. Serena vs. Safina
14. Kuznetsova vs. Safina
15. Clijsters vs. Wozniacki
16. Serena vs. Henin

number of matchups featuring each player:

6-Henin
5-Serena
3-Venus, Sharapova, Kuznetsova, Ivanovic, Safina
2-Clijsters
1-Dementieva, Bartoli, Jankovic, Wozniacki

Just for comparison, I did a quick count for the ATP and I believe they have 14 active GS final matchups that involve 15 players.

Sam L
Nov 1st, 2009, 08:49 AM
A new golden age of women's tennis? :D

TS
Nov 1st, 2009, 08:54 AM
Didn't Henin & Mauresmo also play eachother twice in Slam finals in '06?

BARBIE
Nov 1st, 2009, 09:00 AM

Yes, that is what I was also thinking, first they played each other at the AO and then at Wimbledon in 2006 :)

Imperfect Angel
Nov 1st, 2009, 09:03 AM
Henin :worship:

hankqq
Nov 1st, 2009, 09:07 AM

Yes, that is what I was also thinking, first they played each other at the AO and then at Wimbledon in 2006 :)

thanks TS and Barbie :)
I checked it over a few times and I still missed 1 thing :p :rolleyes:
fixed now :)

Convoluted
Nov 1st, 2009, 09:22 AM
I still find it wierd that Serena and Justine have never played a slam final against each other...

BARBIE
Nov 1st, 2009, 09:22 AM
thanks TS and Barbie :)
I checked it over a few times and I still missed 1 thing :p :rolleyes:
fixed now :)

Thanks, George :D

Golovinjured.
Nov 1st, 2009, 10:03 AM
I still find it wierd that Serena and Justine have never played a slam final against each other...

+1

gc-spurs
Nov 1st, 2009, 10:10 AM

+2

eck
Nov 1st, 2009, 10:38 AM
^ +3

Justine :worship:

mr_burns
Nov 1st, 2009, 11:13 AM
+2

I remember some Quartes:devil:

toby345
Nov 1st, 2009, 11:25 AM
You have forgotten two:

Pierce vs. Henin
Pierce vs. Clijsters

of course it depends on Mary really coming back, which would be awesome btw :hearts:

hankqq
Nov 1st, 2009, 05:41 PM
You have forgotten two:

Pierce vs. Henin
Pierce vs. Clijsters

of course it depends on Mary really coming back, which would be awesome btw :hearts:

yeah i know ;) but i was gonna wait until it was announced that pierce is officially coming back :) for now i get the impression she's hoping to return.

moby
Nov 1st, 2009, 05:59 PM
Only 7 of those: 1-4 and 6-8, are special to the tennis world.
Match-ups like Ivanovic-Safina will only be special to their respective fans while the rest of us tune out.

bmxbandit
Nov 1st, 2009, 06:01 PM
Clijsters - Wozniacki match up will TOTALLY be special to the tennis world.

LoveFifteen
Nov 1st, 2009, 07:06 PM
Clijsters - Wozniacki match up will TOTALLY be special to the tennis world.

:haha:

Slutiana
Nov 1st, 2009, 07:08 PM
^ +1

The Daviator
Nov 1st, 2009, 10:15 PM
Only 7 of those: 1-4 and 6-8, are special to the tennis world.
Match-ups like Ivanovic-Safina will only be special to their respective fans while the rest of us tune out.

Yeah, watching Henin gobble up Sveta for the 18th or 19th time will really grip the tennis world :o

AnomyBC
Nov 1st, 2009, 10:34 PM
I don't know about the rest of you guys, but personally I can't wait for another exciting Venus vs. Bartoli match-up :lol:

hankqq
Nov 1st, 2009, 10:45 PM
lol ok guys I get it :rolleyes: :p y'all so mean :hysteric: I was just quoting what Martina said :sobbing: and it's not only for the WTA, but ATP too-people make a big deal of it whenever Federer faces Roddick even though the h2h is not even near being close :lol: :p actually it's quite similar to the Henin/Kuznetsova h2h :angel:

but think of it this way-if you went to a non-slam tournament and found out 1 of these matches was going to be played there, wouldn't you want to see it? Whether or not the h2h is competitive, or if the match is "interesting" or "boring" to you, 2 players who face off in a slam final are always linked to 1 of the biggest occasions in tennis :p I'm sure it made Bartoli's year that she could win her biggest title in Stanford against the woman who defeated her at Wimbledon. For the fans and tournament director there, how cool was it for them to say that they saw a rematch of a slam final?