PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Players Responses to Agassi's Admission to Meth in '97

jrollaneres25
Nov 1st, 2009, 01:19 AM
What is the rest of the tennis world saying about Andre Agassi's admission that he was a habitual user of crystal meth in 1997?

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/0801/athletes.who.cry/images/015992124.jpg

Here's a rundown of the thoughts of some of the biggest names in the game, ranging from the forgiving (Andy Roddick) to the furious (Martina Navratilova)

Roger Federer
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2341/2335424661_1de22c6b02.jpg
"It was a shock when I heard the news. I am disappointed and I hope there are no more such cases in future."

Rafael Nadal
http://images.gsp.ro/zoom/158221/924-181755-nadal.jpg
"If the ATP covered for Agassi then I think that's dreadful. If they covered for the player and punished others for doing the same kind of thing then that would seem to me to be a lack of respect for all sportsmen ... Now that he is retired, he comes out and says this? It's a way of senselessly damaging the sport."

Serena Williams
http://zing.ro/imagini/stirisportive/surorile%20marsaluiesc-46522.jpg
"I don't even know what crystal meth is, so, you know, that's what my reaction to it is ... I haven't read anything about Andre Agassi's book. All I know is I have a book out. It's called 'On The Line.'"

Venus Williams
http://images.gsp.ro/zoom/120400/667-109072-venus.jpg
"I'm sure his book will sell. But I can't say anything about Andre Agassi's life."

Andy Roddick:
http://thebosh.com/upload/2008/05/26/brooklyn_decker_talks_andy_roddick/Andy-Roddick.jpg
"Andre is and always will be my idol. I will judge him on how he has treated me and how he has changed the world for (the) better."

Former coach Nick Bollettieri:
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2008/0911/ten_g_bollettieri_300.jpg
"I don't condone what he did - I've made mistakes too, but I've done more good than bad ... Let's look at what Andre has done, he funds a school for 400 kids from the inner-city. I know underneath he's a hell of guy."

U.S. Federation Cup captain Mary Joe Fernandez:
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/06mnarperA4Ka/340x.jpg
"It takes a lot of guts and courage to come out and say something that nobody would have really known about. Maybe people can learn from it and not make the same mistakes."

Martina Navratilova:
http://cornedbeefhash.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/navratilova-aarp.jpg
"Shocking. Not as much shock that he did it as shock he lied about it and didn't own up to it. He's up there with Roger Clemens, as far as I'm concerned. He owned up to it (in the book), but it doesn't help now ... Andre lied and got away with it. You can't correct that now. Do you take away a title he wouldn't have won if he had been suspended? He beat some people when he should have been suspended."

dreamgoddess099
Nov 1st, 2009, 01:28 AM
"I don't even know what crystal meth is, so, you know, that's what my reaction to it is ... I haven't read anything about Andre Agassi's book. All I know is I have a book out. It's called 'On The Line."
Serena Williams

Classic Serena. :haha: I love how she's more worried about his book selling more than hers. :lol: At least she didn't feel the need to say something negative about him. Wish he had the same compassion for her.

Donny
Nov 1st, 2009, 01:32 AM
Classic Serena. :haha: I love how she's more worried about his book selling more than hers. :lol: At least she didn't feel the need to say something negative about him. Wish he had the same compassion for her.

What did he say about her?

cellophane
Nov 1st, 2009, 01:42 AM
Serena :spit: :rolls:

SO typical

AkademiQ
Nov 1st, 2009, 01:44 AM
Good, there was no reason for Serena to cover that territory as nothing good would have come out of it.

Bayo
Nov 1st, 2009, 01:46 AM
Serena.

Just for her ever-fabulous product pimping, I think I'll go out tomorrow and buy a copy of On the Line, along with a bottle of Gatorade, a Nike bag, Happy Meal, and box of Tampons.

Pasta-Na
Nov 1st, 2009, 01:48 AM
how about his wig? :p

omoruyi
Nov 1st, 2009, 01:02 AM
the only comment i didnt like was navratilovas...sensationalism is tacky :apumpkin:

MrSerenaWilliams
Nov 1st, 2009, 01:46 AM
Serena :haha:

jrollaneres25
Nov 1st, 2009, 01:49 AM
Serena.

Just for her ever-fabulous product pimping, I think I'll go out tomorrow and buy a copy of On the Line, along with a bottle of Gatorade, a Nike bag, Happy Meal, and box of Tampons.

:haha:

BlameSerena
Nov 1st, 2009, 02:03 AM
What did he say about her?

Check your messages. :wavey:

InsideOut.
Nov 1st, 2009, 02:13 AM
OMG :spit: Serena :worship:

Tennisstar86
Nov 1st, 2009, 02:17 AM
Serena... :haha:

zvonarevarulz
Nov 1st, 2009, 02:20 AM
Serena:lol:

Denise4925
Nov 1st, 2009, 02:22 AM

:worship::worship::worship:

mankind
Nov 1st, 2009, 02:42 AM
I think Serena's comment deserves a thread in it's own right.

Slutati
Nov 1st, 2009, 03:41 AM
Serena. :hysteric:http://i37.tinypic.com/erfjns.gif
I actually like Venus' response too. :lol:

VeeReeDavJCap81
Nov 1st, 2009, 04:27 AM
Serena.

:spit:

ElusiveChanteuse
Nov 1st, 2009, 04:43 AM
Serena :spit: :rolls: :worship: I also had no idea about crystal meth until this incident brought it up.:p
Love Venus' answer as well.:yeah:

Volcana
Nov 1st, 2009, 04:55 AM
He's up there with Roger Clemens.... He beat some people when he should have been suspended."He beat some people he wouldn't have beaten if he hadn't had crystal meth to keep his weight down. It IS a performance enhancing drug. If helping you lose weight improves your performance. Marion Bartoli would cetainly be a different tennis player if she were as lean as say, Flavia Pennatta.

Or imagine if Monica Seles hadn't battled weight problems for the whole second half of her career. You can't do anything about it ex post facto, but there's no doubt it's cheating, as it was specifically against the rules. Of course, the WTA allows cheating, so maybe more of the players should try it.

Bijoux0021
Nov 1st, 2009, 05:22 AM
Serena.

:lol:

Sam L
Nov 1st, 2009, 05:23 AM
I never liked him or his over-venerated wife. They deserve each other. :kiss:

danieln1
Nov 1st, 2009, 06:04 AM

tenn_ace
Nov 1st, 2009, 07:59 AM
some do not have the balls as we can see.

Vaidisova Ruled
Nov 1st, 2009, 08:12 AM

Tennisstar86
Nov 1st, 2009, 08:31 AM
On another Serena note, what do you think this does to her possible ban.... I mean hear we are finding out Agassi was a meth head and the tour KNEW and did nothing.....

And that bit anout gasquet getting off easy cause they bout he got it from kissing.... I mean.....wow.... did they think it was a language issue? LOL Double standard where are Martina's lawyers...

gmak
Nov 1st, 2009, 09:35 AM
lmao serena :lol: :lol: :lol:

Elldee
Nov 1st, 2009, 10:06 AM
Mary Jo's reaction is the weird. It's like she doesn't understand he's just doing it to sell his book. It's not admirable in anyway.

ce
Nov 1st, 2009, 10:32 AM
Serena :sobbing: :haha:
Venus :lol:

FORZA SARITA
Nov 1st, 2009, 10:44 AM

spice_of_life
Nov 1st, 2009, 11:08 AM
Serena doesn't know what Chrystal Meth is? :spit:

bandabou
Nov 1st, 2009, 11:21 AM
This is just funny... everybody was calling for Serena's head the other day. Saying she was a disgrace to the sport, blah blah..

Look what we got here. Saint Andre not only hit at lineswomen but now it results he was a druggie too?! Well, well..la vida si que te de sorprezas! Of course some LDV would say it's no biggie...:lol:

~Cherry*Blossom~
Nov 1st, 2009, 11:27 AM
Serena :inlove:

joćo.
Nov 1st, 2009, 11:52 AM
Serena :worship: :spit:

gc-spurs
Nov 1st, 2009, 11:56 AM
The order that they're put in adds to the hilarity. You've got Roger's 'disappointing' tame comment, Nadal's pretty intense comment (a buildup), and then Serena's comment/advertisement.

Vanity Bonfire
Nov 1st, 2009, 12:00 PM
Serena's response was amazing.

LCS
Nov 1st, 2009, 12:22 PM
Serena :help:

I actually agree with Nadal and Federer...:shrug:

Rumkin
Nov 1st, 2009, 12:41 PM
Serena only worrying about her own book :haha:

bmxbandit
Nov 1st, 2009, 01:10 PM
Did Serena really say that? :worship:

Meteor Shower
Nov 1st, 2009, 02:10 PM
:rolls: at the Serena comment

:lol: I think he just added that part in the end by himself though :p

hectopascal
Nov 1st, 2009, 02:52 PM
Serena only worrying about her own book :haha:

This crystal meth is working :devil: Agassi's book is #1 in the Amazon individual sports books section whilst Serena isn't even in the top 25 :sad:

The Daviator
Nov 1st, 2009, 02:59 PM
Serena! :haha:

Love her so much :sobbing:

tobe
Nov 1st, 2009, 03:02 PM
i d like to hear a hingis comment .....

djul14
Nov 1st, 2009, 03:37 PM
i d like to hear a hingis comment .....

Or a McEnroe, Wilander, Noah, ...

HRHoliviasmith
Nov 1st, 2009, 04:24 PM
Serena grew up in Compton but has no idea what crystal meth is? Here's a bridge I'd like to sell you.

Agassi's book will no doubt sell countless more copies than Serena's book.

the usual ignorance from clementine. she was a child when she left Compton dear. besides crystal meth is not the drug of choice in the inner city. so by your reasoning, you must be quite the heroin expert huh?

Kunal
Nov 1st, 2009, 05:08 PM
hahahaha

Serena Serena!! Classic comment. gotta love her!

Tennisstar86
Nov 1st, 2009, 05:11 PM
Serena grew up in Compton but has no idea what crystal meth is? Here's a bridge I'd like to sell you.

Agassi's book will no doubt sell countless more copies than Serena's book.

Wow, way to continue your hater spirit..... anyways its got nothing to do with being from compton...... lol Any Adult should know what crystal meth is.....lol they run those commercials all the time...... Everyones heard of a meth lab......

Declan
Nov 1st, 2009, 05:12 PM
I don't think he was a 'habitual' user, anyway....

HRHoliviasmith
Nov 1st, 2009, 05:19 PM
Wow, way to continue your hater spirit..... anyways its got nothing to do with being from compton...... lol Any Adult should know what crystal meth is.....lol they run those commercials all the time...... Everyones heard of a meth lab......

I didn't. :o the only meth i knew of was the ones used in stimulants for ADD. :lol: