PDA

View Full Version : Venus Fan, But I Don't Want HerTo Win....

tennisbum79
Oct 31st, 2009, 04:59 PM
... Against Serena in the final if Serena Does make it.

Venus performance throughout the tournament has been disappointing, and it would be travesty if she keeps playing like this and somewhow beat Serena.

Of course, I would not mind if Venus plays well to beat her sister, but if recent history is a predictor, she'll probably play a crappy match.

If Serena makes the final, she would have won 4 matches in her way to the final, to Venus just 2.

Uranium
Oct 31st, 2009, 05:01 PM
I don't care about Venus' form, I want her to win.
Every match if she is playing like shit or playing amazing, I want her to win.

Tennisstar86
Oct 31st, 2009, 05:02 PM
well, After that gift Venus gave Serena at the US Open 2008..... She should take whatever she can get....

RenaSlam.
Oct 31st, 2009, 05:03 PM
Serena.

Paneru
Oct 31st, 2009, 05:04 PM
Everybody played under the same rules.

NEXT!

Inger67

Venus performance thorughout the tournament has been dissapointing, and it would be travesty if she keeps playing like this and somewhow beat Serena.

Of course, I would not mind if Venus plays well to beat her sister, but if recent history is a predictor, she'll probably play crappy match.

If Serena makes the final, she would have won 4 matches in her way to the final, to Venus just 2.

How can you say this? If you are a true Venus fan, what does it matter how she is playing? I want her to win EVERY single match EVERY time she goes out there regardless of her form or whatever. :confused:

Venus needs this more than Serena does, both in terms of confidence and ranking/points.

V's a star
well, After that gift Venus gave Serena at the US Open 2008..... She should take whatever she can get....

Exactly what kind of venus fan would say otherwise :rolleyes:

ShimSham
Oct 31st, 2009, 05:12 PM
Venus needs the win more than Serena, If Venus can get it, she should take it. Didn't Brad Gilbert write a book about this sort of thing? It doesn't have to be pretty a win is a win.

olympus28
Oct 31st, 2009, 05:12 PM
Exactly, Venus made this tournament alive and interesting though

tennisbum79
Oct 31st, 2009, 05:23 PM
Yet Venus has produced most of the entertainment in this tournament with her long drama matches..
What kind of entertainment?

If Serena deserves to win the title, she'll win in the final.
I am not against Venus winning if she plays well.

I just feel it would not be fair to Serena who has won every match decisevely, for Venus to play like she did today and still win the tournament.

Against any other player, I'll take it in any way Venus can get it.

Tennisstar86
Oct 31st, 2009, 05:25 PM
What kind of entertainment?

I am not against Venus winning if she plays well.

I just feel it would not be fair to Serena who has won every match decisevely, for Venus to play like she did today and still win the tournament.

Against any other player, I'll take it in any way Venus can get it.

You do remember Venus waisted a match point against Serena this week right?

tennisbum79
Oct 31st, 2009, 05:32 PM
Infiniti2001 (http://www.tennisforum.com/member.php?u=304), there was really no need to bad rep me on this thread.

And you did not even write a post to voice your opinion like everyone else.

le bon vivant
Oct 31st, 2009, 05:36 PM
Infiniti2001 (http://www.tennisforum.com/member.php?u=304), there was really no need to bad rep me on this thread.

And you did not even write a post to voice your opinion like everyone else.LMAO@you calling her out :haha:

But boy you are crazy. I would never root for Serena to lose, especially if Venus was her opponent. :lol: Shame on you! :lol:

tennisbum79
Oct 31st, 2009, 05:41 PM
LMAO@you calling her out :haha:

But boy you are crazy. I would never root for Serena to lose, especially if Venus was her opponent. :lol: Shame on you! :lol:

Calm down...
You are not reading carefully.

I said "if she plays like she did today".

If Venus plays well and wins, I have no problem with it.

Noctis
Oct 31st, 2009, 05:46 PM
Let's face it Your a Bigger Serena Fan

tennisbum79
Oct 31st, 2009, 05:48 PM
No, I am bigger Venus fan and have always been.

thrust
Oct 31st, 2009, 05:49 PM

Venus performance throughout the tournament has been disappointing, and it would be travesty if she keeps playing like this and somewhow beat Serena.

Of course, I would not mind if Venus plays well to beat her sister, but if recent history is a predictor, she'll probably play a crappy match.

With fans like you, who needs enemies? If you were a true fan of Venus you would want her to win, no matter how she played.

Wannabeknowitall
Oct 31st, 2009, 06:07 PM
I want Serena to win.
This way she can get the 1.5 million she should have gotten at the US Open (in singles and doubles).

Wannabeknowitall
Oct 31st, 2009, 06:08 PM

Love the avatar, btw. :hearts:

Larrybidd
Oct 31st, 2009, 06:23 PM
Venus should have won the match vs. Serena the other day! Look, nobody knows how Venus is gonna play one set to the next. But if she can keep her serve together for an entire match (or at least 2 sets worth), and can keep her groundies under reasonable control, Vee will beat anybody on tour. You just need to stay tuned with venus.

VishaalMaria
Oct 31st, 2009, 06:30 PM
Whoever wins deserves to win.

I don't get this "Venus needs it more" rubbish. If Venus needs it more, she'll up her game and win it "for herself". Plus she's played Serena enough times to, at least, make a return on her serve.

freeyourstyle
Oct 31st, 2009, 06:34 PM
you shouldn't care about the past just about what happens now!
what counts is how she plays tomorrow, thats the only thing that's important .....

friendsita
Oct 31st, 2009, 06:36 PM
I wnat V to win.

markdelaney
yes she lost matches in her round robin group and shouldn't have got through but I'll still always cheer for her.

dynamoRockstarr
Whoever wins deserves to win.

I don't get this "Venus needs it more" rubbish. If Venus needs it more, she'll up her game and win it "for herself". Plus she's played Serena enough times to, at least, make a return on her serve.

thats what they mean

Leo_DFP
Oct 31st, 2009, 06:44 PM

This.

GO VENUS.

Infiniti2001
Oct 31st, 2009, 07:31 PM

And you did not even write a post to voice your opinion like everyone else.

The bad rep says it all :shrug: Meanwhile, go Venus . Keep on keeping. You have fans who stick with you through good and bad times :dance:

PLP
Oct 31st, 2009, 07:46 PM
I am just so proud of Venus for making the final, even if her play hasn't been stellar, she deserves her spot in the final. I hope she can win, come on VEE!

Calypso
Oct 31st, 2009, 07:54 PM
Calm down...
You are not reading carefully.

I said "if she plays like she did today".

If Venus plays well and wins, I have no problem with it.

You must be a saint.

Ordinary fans don't give a rat's hiney how their fave is playing, as long as they win.

Winning is all that matters:lol:!

Destiny
Oct 31st, 2009, 09:05 PM
I don't care i want venus to hold at least one of her titles

Serena took wimbledon she can't take this too :mad:

Sam L
Nov 1st, 2009, 01:09 AM

Venus performance throughout the tournament has been disappointing,

Who cares? It's not a film or dramatic performance. She's not aiming for the Oscars. This is a sport. The best player on the day wins. I hope that's Venus as she needs it more. Serena already has two slams this year.

powerbackhand
Nov 1st, 2009, 01:22 AM
win it venus

vwfan
Nov 1st, 2009, 01:03 AM
Go Venus.

I hope she wins--pretty, ugly, impressive or with a netcord. Take title #42, VES Williams.:worship:

Vaidisova Ruled
Nov 1st, 2009, 07:23 AM
I want Venus to win. Her year was really bad. A YEC win would change that a little bit.

tennisbum79
Nov 2nd, 2009, 12:12 PM
Congrats to Serena. Something positive after the incident at the USO

Venus, recharge for 2010. Please work on your 2nd serve.

harloo
Nov 2nd, 2009, 12:58 PM

Despite all the overreactions to your post in some sense I understand what you're saying. I would never root against my favorite player but sometimes as a fan I wish Venus and Serena didn't have the ability to win by playing ugly. At times it creates and illusion of invincibility and often times they're caught off guard when an opponent is physically and mentally prepared to challenge/beat them.

tennisbum79
Nov 2nd, 2009, 10:02 PM
Despite all the overreactions to your post in some sense I understand what you're saying. I would never root against my favorite player but sometimes as a fan I wish Venus and Serena didn't have the ability to win by playing ugly. At times it creates and illusion of invincibility and often times they're caught off guard when an opponent is physically and mentally prepared to challenge/beat them.
Thank you for showing some understanding.
Frankly, I am not surprised by the reaction from my fellow Venus fans.

But you put your finger on it, the illusion of invincibility has caught up big time with Venus.

At her peak, when she was overpowering and intimidating to most players, she would often win matches with patchy performances, no second serve nor forehand. And everyone would recognize it as the sign of her greatness. That she can play NOT at her full potential and still win.

But Venus, instead of taking this as a false sense of comfort and start working on those areas that gave her problem, she bought into the sense of invincibility. This was also reinforced by TV commentators and print reporters who constantly talk about it, almost as an asset, rather than a limitation in the future.

As age and development of more physical players (thanks to Venus and Serena) arrive, Venus is now at disavantage.
On the other hand, Serena's open personality, coupled with a healthy disdain to lose to her rivals has pushed her to explore new ways of improving her game by adding new weapons to her arsenal, perfecting the ones she already has.

LovelyAnu
Nov 6th, 2009, 07:57 AM
I feel the same way. The woman has been astonishing throughout her career, but her default entry to the final didn't deserve a win as opposed to the woman who won each one of her matches, going into the final.

Moreover, check out this criticizing article about Venus Williams that talks about her rise and fall and the reasons behind it.....! (http://tinyurl.com/yg8oee7)

Paneru
Nov 6th, 2009, 08:02 AM
The amount of stupidity that abounds around here is astounding!

If Venus had won she would have deserved to.

Always easy to pick someone apart when they are down.

darrinbaker00
Nov 6th, 2009, 02:48 PM

The end of the world is nigh, boys and girls. Paneru and I agree on something.

tennisbum79
Nov 6th, 2009, 06:17 PM

You should do better than use cliche such as "Always easy to pick someone apart when they are down"

That may work in political forum, but is less effective here.

I am not buying the argument ( from you and others) that by simply winning it, Venus would have deserved it. No.
Having palyed so poorly in round-robin rounds, she would have to perform really well against someone who had not lost a match up to that point, for me to state witth a straight face Venus she deserves to win it.

As simple as that.

Paneru
Nov 6th, 2009, 09:31 PM
It's akin to all the bs that Dinara didn't deserve the #1 spot because Serena not she won the majority of the Slams.
Wrong! Dinara and Serena both played under the same rules like it or not. Dinara did what she needed to get
the position and Serena did not.

I don't care how pissed you are at Venus' form. She got to the finals by the rules, just as Elena or Sveta could have with a similar record. Had Venus won the final, she would have deserved it. She didn't win, so she did not deserve it.
Nothing more, nothing less.

Congrats to Serena & better luck next year Venus.
Period.

Matt01
Nov 6th, 2009, 09:51 PM
It's akin to all the bs that Dinara didn't deserve the #1 spot because Serena not she won the majority of the Slams.
Wrong! Dinara and Serena both played under the same rules like it or not. Dinara did what she needed to get

I don't care how pissed you are at Venus' form. She got to the finals by the rules, just as Elena or Sveta could have with a similar record. Had Venus won the final, she would have deserved it. She didn't win, so she did not deserve it.

So true :worship:

spencercarlos
Nov 6th, 2009, 10:30 PM

Congrats to Serena & better luck next year Venus.
Period.
Somehow i understand the thread opener feelings about this final and the "shame" that would have been if Serena had lost. I had this exact same feeling when i saw Conchita Martinez reach Roland Garros 2000 final with a cake walk draw and with with a shameful SF vs Arantxa which the crowd went on to boo because of the many moonballs. This when in counterpart Pierce played an amazing match against Seles in the QF winning 6-4 in the third and just finished her SF against Hingis with some cramps towards the end of it. I had the picture of Martinez beating this tired Pierce. It would have been the most shameful Grand Slam win by the overrated Martinez.... ever. Thanks god this did not happened.

Still Venus played her hearts out against Serena in the round robin while losing 7-6 in the third and overcame Sveta in the last match, so i think she qualified with enough merits, at least more than Dementieva who had beaten her in the first match. In the end definetly the two best players reached the final, and that was my thinking while watching their RR match, and certainly the better player won. Thanks god for these two :p

le bon vivant
Nov 7th, 2009, 12:26 AM
Somehow i understand the thread opener feelings about this final and the "shame" that would have been if Serena had lost. I had this exact same feeling when i saw Conchita Martinez reach Roland Garros 2000 final with a cake walk draw and with with a shameful SF vs Arantxa which the crowd went on to boo because of the many moonballs. This when in counterpart Pierce played an amazing match against Seles in the QF winning 6-4 in the third and just finished her SF against Hingis with some cramps towards the end of it. I had the picture of Martinez beating this tired Pierce. It would have been the most shameful Grand Slam win by the overrated Martinez.... ever. Thanks god this did not happened.

Still Venus played her hearts out against Serena in the round robin while losing 7-6 in the third and overcame Sveta in the last match, so i think she qualified with enough merits, at least more than Dementieva who had beaten her in the first match. In the end definetly the two best players reached the final, and that was my thinking while watching their RR match, and certainly the better player won. Thanks god for these two :phttp://i37.tinypic.com/2n8r0xy.gif

spencercarlos
Nov 7th, 2009, 12:39 AM
http://i37.tinypic.com/2n8r0xy.gif
On a side note and ignoring your idiotic picture posted.
Look at the 1998 Roland Garros final. Seles worked her butt harder and in fact played better for most of the fortnight while reaching the final, while Arantxa barely beat an young Serena, got by Schnyder in 3 sets with a lot of mooballing stuff, and dispatched a clay court clown like Lindsay in the semis. Arantxa won the match in the final, one of the cases were a player that probably "deserved" the title more lost. And i am Arantxa fan, just simply think that Monica deserved that title more than anyone, because of her situation (dad), because she got into the best shape ever after the stabbing, and because she was playing some unbelieveable tennis, circa 1991-1993.

vwfan
Nov 10th, 2009, 02:25 AM
Uhmmm. . .what Paneru said. :o