PDA

View Full Version : Dementieva wins Diamond Aces Award!!!

miffedmax
Oct 31st, 2009, 02:44 PM
:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Yay. I can't believe I'm this slow on the draw.

http://www.tennisweek.com/news/fullstory.sps?inewsid=6642107

(thanks to protoss for calling my attention to this).

Sort of takes the sting out of yesterday to learn this today, even though the award was announced Thurs.

The Czarina of Bangs and an ambassador for our sport.

W!MBLEDON
Oct 31st, 2009, 02:46 PM
i thought 'aces' was something to do with serve for a second and i thought 'that can't be right??' :sobbing:

well done elena

Igor_Biscan
Oct 31st, 2009, 02:51 PM
Well done Elena, well deserved

Julian.
Nov 2nd, 2009, 03:46 AM
OCTOBER 30, 2009

Dementieva wins ACES Award

http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/javaImages/a/14/0,,12781~7541770,00.jpg

DOHA, Qatar - The Sony Ericsson WTA Tour has awarded Elena Dementieva the ACES Award for the 2009 season. The ACES Award is given to the player who consistently goes above and beyond to promote the sport of women's tennis to fans, media and local communities by performing off-court promotional and charitable activities.

"I am really pleased to have won this award," Dementieva said. "Being a professional tennis player is about a lot more than hitting tennis balls across the net. We have a responsibility to promote women's tennis and to personally connect with fans, sponsors and media in order to grow the sport I love. I am lucky that so many of the off-court activities on the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour are incredibly fun and adventurous. Such promotions as Sony Ericsson led 'Fountain Tennis' in Cincinnati or 'Underground Tennis' in Madrid are some of my most memorable experiences from this season."

"Elena is not only one of the world's best tennis players, she is extremely bright, thoughtful, has a savvy business acumen, and is a terrific ambassador for women's tennis," said Stacey Allaster, Chairman and CEO of the Tour. "Elena is a respected and admired athlete, possessing sharp intelligence and an understanding of importance of connecting the sport with media and sponsors. It is because of athletes like Elena that the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour has come so far so fast."

"Elena has taken time out of her schedule and made a significant effort to promote women's tennis this year and it is my great pleasure to present her with the ACES Award during the Sony Ericsson Championships," said Aldo Liguori, Corporate Vice President and Head of Global Communications & PR for Sony Ericsson. "It's great to see that the players on the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour are committed to promoting the sport and I would like to recognize their passion toward making it more accessible to fans around the world."

This year marked the third season in a row that a point weighted system was used to award each of the off-court activities performed by players at Tour events. The following is a breakdown of the Top 10 players who amassed the most points during the 2009 season for ACES activities:

1. 400 - Elena Dementieva
2. 335 - Dinara Safina
335 - Serena Williams
4. 325 - Caroline Wozniacki
5. 280 - Jelena Jankovic
6. 260 - Ana Ivanovic
7. 240 - Nadia Petrova
8. 230 - Vera Zvonareva
9. 215 - Svetlana Kuznetsova
10. 205 - Venus Williams

The ACES Award was first introduced in 1995, in memory of former Tour CEO Jerry Diamond. Since then, nine players have won the award, including Arantxa Sánchez-Vicario, Gabriela Sabatini, Amanda Coetzer, Lindsay Davenport, Martina Hingis, Anastasia Myskina, Svetlana Kuznetsova and Ana Ivanovic.

http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/page/OffCourtNews/Read/0,,12781~1842623,00.html

Golovinjured.
Nov 2nd, 2009, 04:44 AM
Elena :worship: True ambassador to the sport.

Serena, Petrova surprisingly high.
Venus surprisingly low.
Azarenka not even TOP 10. :eek:

zvonarevarulz
Nov 2nd, 2009, 05:15 AM
Saying that out loud made me laugh:lol:

DimaDinosaur
Nov 2nd, 2009, 06:17 AM
what did ElenaD even do?

Lord Choc Ice
Nov 2nd, 2009, 06:27 AM
Davai Lena. :hearts:

Lord Choc Ice
Nov 2nd, 2009, 06:47 AM
Saying that out loud made me laugh:lol:
I know right. :lol:

Julian.
Nov 2nd, 2009, 06:49 AM
^ Elena won aces award :hearts: Her serve is improving. :spit:

ElusiveChanteuse
Nov 2nd, 2009, 08:17 AM
I thought it was about serving the most aces or some sort.:spit:

Golovinjured.
Nov 2nd, 2009, 09:28 AM
Oh, I get the irony :cool:

miffedmax
Nov 2nd, 2009, 12:31 PM
Geez, how come when I start a thread on this nobody cares? Is it because the topic was buried beneath 40,000 references to Lena's bangs?

Anyway, another nice award for Lena. Everything but a fucking slam.

tennisforadults
Nov 2nd, 2009, 12:45 PM
Glad to see someone awarded for doing good things for the sport of tennis than screaming/abusing for the sake of winning on the court.

And for once it's not about how well you can hit that forehand.

Congrats Elena! Not enough consolation for failing to win a slam though.

_Liv_
Nov 2nd, 2009, 01:01 PM
Lena:hearts::bigclap:

_Liv_
Nov 2nd, 2009, 01:02 PM
Glad to see someone awarded for doing good things for the sport of tennis than screaming/abusing for the sake of winning on the court.

And for once it's not about how well you can hit that forehand.

Congrats Elena! Not enough consolation for failing to win a slam though.

you better dont joke with this:p.Poor girl,and poor us:bigcry:

ZODIAC
Nov 2nd, 2009, 01:04 PM
I think they gave her as a joke,probably an office joke.She should be savvy about winning that slam thats missing on her mantlepiece.Its like saying Sharapova is the most well known athelete in the world period ,thats another joke.:rolleyes:

BlameSerena
Nov 2nd, 2009, 01:10 PM
LOL at the irony of the ACES award going to Lena Diezel.

Congrats are still in order. Lena D :yeah:.

miffedmax
Nov 2nd, 2009, 01:21 PM
I think they gave her as a joke,probably an office joke.She should savvy about winning that slam thats missing on her mantlepiece.Its like saying Sharapova is the most well known athelete in the world period ,thats another joke.:rolleyes:

It's not a joke. It's an award for promoting women's tennis to the general public, and Elena worked very hard to do that this year. Previous winners include:

1995 Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario 2001 Martina Hingis
1996 Gabriela Sabatini 2002-03 Not Held
1997 Amanda Coetzer 2004 Anastasia Myskina
1998 Lindsay Davenport 2005 Anastasia Myskina
1999 Lindsay Davenport 2006 Svetlana Kuznetsova
2000 Martina Hingis 2007 Jelena Jankovic
2008 Ana Ivanovic

Lena is only the second nonslam winner to get it. It's not something they just "hand out." The last few years there's actually a point system. It's all in the article. Unlike Lena's bangs.

brent-o
Nov 2nd, 2009, 04:11 PM
How does their point system for the award work? Aren't they required do those off-court duties by the sponsors or Sony Ericsson anyway? Anyway, congrats Lena D! You are the ACE queen and no amount of DFs can take that away lol!

jefrilibra
Nov 2nd, 2009, 04:14 PM
Is this like the Best Butt-Kisser Award or something?

Anyway congrats to her. She gotta win something! :lol:

Alex03Maccy
Nov 2nd, 2009, 04:49 PM
how on earth did rena get joint 2nd?

pka_liloo
Nov 2nd, 2009, 05:28 PM
Lena looks quite surprised herself on the photo :lol:

CoolDude7
Nov 2nd, 2009, 05:30 PM
congrats elena well deserved

Hugh.
Nov 2nd, 2009, 05:47 PM
how on earth did rena get joint 2nd?

Yeah, I can't think of much that she has done to promote the tour this year...maybe just by preventing Safina from being year end no.1.

Congrats Elena! :worship:

miffedmax
Nov 2nd, 2009, 06:03 PM
Rena actually played a number of exos and stuff like that. Maybe writing a book gets you points, too.

Lena would have had more points if she still had bangs. We're almost to December folks. I'm looking forward to the end of this oath as much as you are.

samsam4087
Nov 4th, 2009, 07:46 AM
well done Elena