PDA

View Full Version : Something Completely Different...

Привет
Oct 31st, 2009, 02:27 AM
FROM THE WTA SITE :)

Press conferences are excellent for finding out how a player felt they did in their match, their form and what they think of their next opponent - but what about all of those completely unrelated questions? Here is the first of many random questions posed to several of the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour's brightest stars.

---
Part I

Who is your favorite men's player?

Caroline Wozniacki: "I have quite a few, but if I started naming names I'd be worried there'd be rumors I'm dating them!"

Patty Schnyder: "Roger. He makes it look so easy. He comes up with it on the big points. He finds a way to beat almost everybody. He's so impressive."

Elena Dementieva: "Roger Federer. He's the best ever. I like everything about him. The way he plays, the way he behaves on and off the court... he's perfect. He's the greatest player I have ever seen."

Vera Zvonareva: "You can't overlook Roger. He's definitely one of my favorites. I also enjoy watching Davydenko play."

Ana Ivanovic: "Roger Federer. I admire him very much, not only for his achievements, but for how he conducts himself on and off the court. I also like Nadal, and of course Novak because we have been friends for many years."

Sabine Lisicki: "I'd go with Roger. I also like how Djokovic broke through two years ago, I enjoyed watching him. He changed the game, played differently... he is fun, too."

Nadia Petrova: "Roger Federer. Every tennis player dreams to play like him. He's such a great champion. And he also has the good looks!"

Vania King: "When I was younger, I loved to watch Sampras."

Cara Black: "Rafael Nadal."

Dominika Cibulkova: "It was Andre Agassi when I was younger, but now it's Nadal. The way he plays... he plays so well, but he's such a fighter."

Katarina Srebotnik: "Rafael Nadal. He's a hard worker who improved his game tremendously and I admire him for that. In my opinion he is also a very down to earth and polite guy. He also impressed me in a positive way in many of his interviews, especially with his attitude, approach and simplicity."

Aleksandra Wozniak: "I'd have to say Tommy Haas. He has been playing so well for such a long time now."

Liezel Huber: "Andy Murray."

Bethanie Mattek-Sands: "I like Andy Murray's game. I'd probably say he's my favorite. Fabrice Santoro used to be my favorite."

Michaella Krajicek: "My favorite player since I was younger has always been Andy Roddick - for his talent, looks and attitude!"

---

Part II

Do you play video games?

Ana Ivanovic: "I never did until I was introduced to Guitar Hero, and I love it."

Vania King: "YES. I love video games. I play mostly RPGs, MMORPGs and action/adventure games."

Aleksandra Wozniak: "When I was little, my sister Dorota and I would play Nintendo for hours. Now I just travel around the world with a PSP!"

Bethanie Mattek-Sands: "I get games. I'm the biggest Sudoku/Solitaire person ever. If I have an extra five minutes I'll be playing."

Katarina Srebotnik: "No, not at all. When I was younger I used to love them and I have to say I was pretty good because I couldn't stand the words GAME OVER on the screen! I played the games over and over again until I would go all the way or at least reach a very high score."

Dominika Cibulkova: "I do - I play tennis video games! I'm not very good at them though, everyone is always beating me..."

Caroline Wozniacki: "I do, with my brother. Race car games, singing star... it's a lot of fun!"

Cara Black: "I don't play video games."

Liezel Huber: "NO!"

Vera Zvonareva: "Not really. I used to play Super Mario and Tetris on Gameboy. I would play Tetris for such a long time..."

Michaella Krajicek: "No, not at all. The only game I used to play was Super Mario on Gameboy."

Elena Dementieva: "I don't play video games. My brother is a big fan of them though. I could never understand his passion for them!"

---

Part III

What do you think of Kim Clijsters' comeback?

Patty Schnyder: "I think it's great. Her career before was way too short. She's a champion. She has a great character. It's cool to have her back."

Ana Ivanovic: "I have always gotten on very well with Kim. She's a great player and I hope to have the opportunity to compete against her again."

Nadia Petrova: "It's great for tennis. A lot of people missed her and her game. She was always such a positive person and did so many good things for the Tour. It's great to see her back after having a kid. She's enjoying it too."

Michaella Krajicek: "I think it's great for women's tennis. It was an honor for me to be the first player to play her in singles in her comeback, at an exhibition at the Ordina Open this year."

Marion Bartoli: "I had spoken with her former coach at the Australian Open. He told me she missed the competition and wanted to come back. It's great. Obviously she had achieved so much before she retired, and now she has already done big things again. It's great for the women's game to see her back. She'll be back in the Top 10 again very soon."

Liezel Huber: "I'm so happy. I love her and she's great for the game."

Vera Zvonareva: "It's great! She's one of the crowd's favorites all around the world. She brings a lot to women's tennis."

Cara Black: "It's great for tennis. We're really looking forward to having her back on the road with us. She's such a lovely girl and her little girl is so cute."

Sabine Lisicki: "I always liked watching her play. It's always fun to watch her. It's great for the game she's back now."

Bethanie Mattek-Sands: "Awesome. She was really well-liked on Tour. She went out on top, and it'll be interesting to see if she can get back to No.1."

Aleksandra Wozniak: "I think she wants to challenge herself to get back to the top and still has the hunger to play professional tennis."

Dominika Cibulkova: "I was kind of surprised because it must be hard to come back after having a baby, but she looks really fit and motivated. When I first started playing on the Tour she had just left. I met her once or twice but didn't really know her that well... it'll be nice to get to know her now."

Caroline Wozniacki: "I was a bit surprised when I first heard, but I knew if she felt she could do it, she would. And she has done amazing since coming back. I'm really happy she's back. She's a great player with a great personality."

Uranium
Oct 31st, 2009, 02:29 AM
Oh Cara and Liezel, I hate your answers.:(

Привет
Oct 31st, 2009, 02:33 AM
Caroline Wozniacki: "I have quite a few, but if I started naming names I'd be worried there'd be rumors I'm dating them!"

Probably because you are, Caroline. :rolleyes: :lol:

Nadia Petrova: "Roger Federer. Every tennis player dreams to play like him. He's such a great champion. And he also has the good looks!"
He's taken, Nads. :spit:

Cara Black: "Rafael Nadal."

You sure you don't wanna elaborate, Cara? :confused: No..? Okay then...

Aleksandra Wozniak: "I'd have to say Tommy Haas. He has been playing so well for such a long time now."
Aleks gets points for thinking more than 3 seconds about her answer and avoiding the "Ummmmm, daaaaaa, Federer/Nadal" answer. :yeah:

Liezel Huber: "Andy Murray."
:tape: No wonder no one gives a shit about doubles. Feel free to be fan friendly any one of these days, Cara and Liezel. :tape:

Bethanie Mattek-Sands: "I like Andy Murray's game. I'd probably say he's my favorite. Fabrice Santoro used to be my favorite."

Typical of Beth to have a unique player like Fabrice as a favourite. :cool:

Michaella Krajicek: "My favorite player since I was younger has always been Andy Roddick - for his talent, looks and attitude!"

Wouldn't have picked that one. :confused:

Slutati
Oct 31st, 2009, 02:52 AM
Roger, Roger, Roger, Roger...:yawn:

Disappointed with this thread. :rollees:

Привет
Oct 31st, 2009, 02:54 AM

Not my fault they don't give interesting answers for the most part. :rolleyes:

Bijoux0021
Oct 31st, 2009, 03:01 AM

Who would not want to play tennis like Roger Federer?

Dini.
Oct 31st, 2009, 03:04 AM
They're all Federer/Nadal fangirls. :rolls: Easy. :lol:

gc-spurs
Oct 31st, 2009, 05:34 AM
They should like the guy who's lost to Roger 19 times more.

Привет
Nov 6th, 2009, 04:13 AM
Part II

Do you play video games?

Ana Ivanovic: "I never did until I was introduced to Guitar Hero, and I love it."

Vania King: "YES. I love video games. I play mostly RPGs, MMORPGs and action/adventure games."

Aleksandra Wozniak: "When I was little, my sister Dorota and I would play Nintendo for hours. Now I just travel around the world with a PSP!"

Bethanie Mattek-Sands: "I get games. I'm the biggest Sudoku/Solitaire person ever. If I have an extra five minutes I'll be playing."

Katarina Srebotnik: "No, not at all. When I was younger I used to love them and I have to say I was pretty good because I couldn't stand the words GAME OVER on the screen! I played the games over and over again until I would go all the way or at least reach a very high score."

Dominika Cibulkova: "I do - I play tennis video games! I'm not very good at them though, everyone is always beating me..."

Caroline Wozniacki: "I do, with my brother. Race car games, singing star... it's a lot of fun!"

Vera Zvonareva: "Not really. I used to play Super Mario and Tetris on Gameboy. I would play Tetris for such a long time..."

Michaella Krajicek: "No, not at all. The only game I used to play was Super Mario on Gameboy."

Elena Dementieva: "I don't play video games. My brother is a big fan of them though. I could never understand his passion for them!"

Привет
Nov 6th, 2009, 04:17 AM

You sure you don't wanna elaborate, Cara? :confused: No..? Okay then...
I get the feeling I'm gonna be able to quote this post for each and every time they ask Cara Black to answer one of these questions. :o

:spit: Yeah...... you're not doing your reputation any favours here Liezel. :hug:

P_Fer
Nov 6th, 2009, 04:18 AM

Vania :hearts:

gc-spurs
Nov 6th, 2009, 04:23 AM
Part II

Do you play video games?

That is an awesome question. I love knowing this about people.

Ana: Guitar hero=fail
Vania: You win ALL :worship::worship:
Wozniak: I hope your talking about SNES! Me likey the answer.
Mattek Sands: Geek :p
Srebotnik: At least your child self was cool
Cibulkova: Your answer will do..
Caro: :), though meh to your genre
Huber and Black: GTFO

Everyone needs to be more like Vania!
2 weeks til Assassins Creed 2!

A-Bond
Nov 6th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Black and Huber :o They're such a disgrace. At least the lost the Masters-Final. Hopefully Mariajo / Nuria and other teams will kick their asses in 2010.

Spiritof42
Nov 6th, 2009, 11:04 AM

10 brownie points for not going down Obvious Boulevard like most of the others, and 10 more for picking a player I really like. :yeah:

Ditto. :)

:eek::worship:

Well, not quite enough to make her a true geek, but it's a start. :)

Their answers make it look like they think playing video games is something people should be ashamed of.

Привет
Nov 6th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Their answers make it look like they think playing video games is something people should be ashamed of.

Showing any sign of enthusiasm must also be a big no-no for them. :o

Caralenko
Nov 6th, 2009, 11:14 AM

Another reason I would turn lesbian for her :sobbing:

miffedmax
Nov 6th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Well, I'm not surprised Lena doesn't like video games, but at least she gave a mildly interesting answer instead of just say "No."

But wasn't there a story that she got hurt and had to miss some junior tournaments after a fight over a video controller with Seva? (I think it was an accident, not a case of sibling assault)? Maybe Lena likes video games more than she lets on. Or maybe there's a reason she doesn't like them any more. I wish she liked bangs.

BlameSerena
Nov 6th, 2009, 12:26 PM

My kind of girl. I love Tetris and Super Mario. :):):)

The Kaz
Nov 6th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Showing any sign of enthusiasm must also be a big no-no for them. :o

Showing any signs of fun is a big non-no for them :o

They truly are the grannies of the tour :tape:

Miss Amor
Nov 6th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Cara and Liziel :smash: :smash:

MaBaker
Nov 6th, 2009, 12:35 PM
This Roger love is disgusting.

Lord Choc Ice
Nov 6th, 2009, 12:49 PM
I know. He's the play everybody's supposed to like because if you don't support Roger you don't support tennis blah blah blah, it's just boring. :yawn:

Vania has a new fan. GOAT answer. :bowdown:

BuTtErFrEnA
Nov 6th, 2009, 01:04 PM

roger = love :inlove:

super mario and tetris = love :inlove:

miffedmax
Nov 6th, 2009, 01:09 PM
One reason so many of the women may like Roger is that, in addition to being a hell of a player, he is one of the few ATP players who is consistently supportive of the WTA, talking about which women players he enjoys watching play, who's technique he admires, who he thinks is playing well at the moment.

Maybe a lot of the women respect Roger because he shows some respect for them, not just because it's the easy way out.

There are others--Nadal, who is also listed, also has said some good things about some of the women players--but far too many ATP guys are in the Gimbelstob mode and disparage the other half of the pro side of the game.

Yeah, I know ATP players are better, but as a fan of both ATP and WTA tennis, I appreciate Roger and Rafa's attitude toward the ladies, and it's obvious they do, too.

Also, I appreciate Lena's bangs.

DragonFlame
Nov 6th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Vania king´s answer :worship:

She likes the same games i do, lol!

The Witch-king
Nov 7th, 2009, 07:10 AM
One reason so many of the women may like Roger is that, in addition to being a hell of a player, he is one of the few ATP players who is consistently supportive of the WTA, talking about which women players he enjoys watching play, who's technique he admires, who he thinks is playing well at the moment ...

... Bitchin bout the number one rankin.

Maybe he a member of this forum?

gc-spurs
Nov 7th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Vania king´s answer :worship:

She likes the same games i do, lol!

Yeah same!
I wonder if that includes Saints Row 2...

Natash.
Nov 7th, 2009, 06:14 PM
No surprise on Vania's answer :lol: She's adorable. I heard she likes to read manga too.

Привет
Nov 12th, 2009, 06:30 AM
Part III

What do you think of Kim Clijsters' comeback?

Patty Schnyder: "I think it's great. Her career before was way too short. She's a champion. She has a great character. It's cool to have her back."

Ana Ivanovic: "I have always gotten on very well with Kim. She's a great player and I hope to have the opportunity to compete against her again."

Nadia Petrova: "It's great for tennis. A lot of people missed her and her game. She was always such a positive person and did so many good things for the Tour. It's great to see her back after having a kid. She's enjoying it too."

Michaella Krajicek: "I think it's great for women's tennis. It was an honor for me to be the first player to play her in singles in her comeback, at an exhibition at the Ordina Open this year."

Marion Bartoli: "I had spoken with her former coach at the Australian Open. He told me she missed the competition and wanted to come back. It's great. Obviously she had achieved so much before she retired, and now she has already done big things again. It's great for the women's game to see her back. She'll be back in the Top 10 again very soon."

Liezel Huber: "I'm so happy. I love her and she's great for the game."

Vera Zvonareva: "It's great! She's one of the crowd's favorites all around the world. She brings a lot to women's tennis."

Cara Black: "It's great for tennis. We're really looking forward to having her back on the road with us. She's such a lovely girl and her little girl is so cute."

Sabine Lisicki: "I always liked watching her play. It's always fun to watch her. It's great for the game she's back now."

Bethanie Mattek-Sands: "Awesome. She was really well-liked on Tour. She went out on top, and it'll be interesting to see if she can get back to No.1."

Aleksandra Wozniak: "I think she wants to challenge herself to get back to the top and still has the hunger to play professional tennis."

Dominika Cibulkova: "I was kind of surprised because it must be hard to come back after having a baby, but she looks really fit and motivated. When I first started playing on the Tour she had just left. I met her once or twice but didn't really know her that well... it'll be nice to get to know her now."

Caroline Wozniacki: "I was a bit surprised when I first heard, but I knew if she felt she could do it, she would. And she has done amazing since coming back. I'm really happy she's back. She's a great player with a great personality."

Привет
Nov 12th, 2009, 06:33 AM
Be careful what you wish for, Ana. :hug:

Erm, Beth, you do know they asked you about Kim and not Justine, right? :unsure: :rolls:

Nice to see Aleks give an answer that didn't include "it's great for the game/women's tennis". :p

Sweet answer from Domi. :awww:

And nice to see Liezel and Cara have half a personality after all. :o:lol:

saul1333
Nov 12th, 2009, 07:09 AM
Girls that play video games:drool:

Vania sounds like a real nerd, I love it:inlove::lol:

Boreas
Nov 12th, 2009, 07:49 AM
None of the girls think she should have sticked with her decision to retire:confused:

WhoAmI?
Nov 12th, 2009, 07:52 AM
None of the girls think she should have sticked with her decision to retire:confused:

You'd think they'd say it in public?:lol:

gc-spurs
Nov 12th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Be careful what you wish for, Ana. :hug:

Erm, Beth, you do know they asked you about Kim and not Justine, right? :unsure: :rolls:

Nice to see Aleks give an answer that didn't include "it's great for the game/women's tennis". :p

Sweet answer from Domi. :awww:

And nice to see Liezel and Cara have half a personality after all. :o:lol:

Haha but Leizel's was again the most bland

Привет
Nov 12th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Haha but Leizel's was again the most bland

Well her answer was at least a full sentence this time. :shrug: Babysteps... ;)

Ziggy Starduck
Nov 25th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Part IV - Do you have any pets?

Michaella Krajicek: I have one dog, a Chihuahua called Zorro. I adopted him last year during the tournament in Amelia Island.

Marion Bartoli: I have a cat. She was born on April 1, 1999. Our neighbour's cat had three babies and she was lying on the food :) It's hard for me when I'm on the road and can't see her too often but I carry photos of her with me. Sometimes when I'm on the phone with my mom she tells me the cat is trying to hear me. It's hard for me to live without her! Her name is Calinette.

Bethanie Mattek-Sands: I have a dog, a Boerboel Mastiff. His name is Ruger. He's 140 pounds - not really travelling material! He was in Indian Wells though. My husband got him before we were married and named him after the Ruger Magnum, a rifle (my husband likes to hunt).

Patty Schnyder: I have three cats one dog. My dog is an Australian Shepherd - I got him as a puppy last November. The three cats are all mixed and from shelters. Since I moved out of my parents' house and am living on my own I love to be around pets. We bring the dog in the car... he's a big dog.

Vania King: Yes, two birds. Sunny, a Sun Conure, and Coco, a Cockatiel. I love animals. I want a cat and dog in the future! Hopefully they'll get along...

Cara Black: I have two dogs and two cats.

Liezel Huber: I have four dogs... Sam, a miniature Jack Russell Terrier; Ace, an English Mastiff; Dora, a lab-hound mix; and Amelia, a German Shepherd mix. I also have two cats. Their names are Rambo and Xena.

Vera Zvonareva: I have a cat, but my mom was too busy working to take care of it, so she gave it my friend. I haven't seen it in a long time. It's more than two hours to get to my friend and the cat... sometimes my mom will go and pick it up so we can see it whenever I come home to visit.

Sabine Lisicki: I have one dog, a Yorkshire Terrier named Happy. I like positive names! He only travels some of the time, depending on how far the tournament is and if they allow dogs. It's not easy... some hotels don't allow pets.

Dominika Cibulkova: I have a Yorkshire Terrier named Pupi. He's little... He doesn't travel with me, he stays at home and my grandma takes care of him. I don't have much time to look after him but whenever I'm home I do!

Elena Dementieva: I have a Yorkshire Terrier, his name is Patrick. He's at home with my father. I used to take him with me when I travel but it's difficult - not many hotels allow it. Dogs aren't allowed in the player lounge much, either.

Nadia Petrova: Not at the moment. I used to have a cat and I'm so much in love with dogs, so whenever I'm done with tennis I'll get one - probably a Chocolate Labrador. They're very friendly and very good with kids, and the dark chocolate color is so attractive to me.

Aleksandra Wozniak: I have a brown Teckel and her name is Kropka. Also I have an American Cocker Spaniel, Lilly, she is a blondie.

Caroline Wozniacki: I kind of have one! My brother and his girlfriend have a dog - but it's always in our place!

Ziggy Starduck
Nov 25th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Part V - Do you have a favorite board game?

Bethanie Mattek-Sands: We've tried to play board games. My husband and I set aside a night to play Monopoly, but we never get around to it. I'm super competitive though. When I was younger I'd play with my siblings - it got to the point they'd let me win because I'd throw a fit if I didn't. My sister could beat me at this memory game... but she'd always let me win.

Marion Bartoli: Me, my brother and my dad would play Monopoly until I won. I hate to lose! We'd keep going until 3am if we had to, until everyone was falling asleep. Not me, though. I'd be focusing so much. I like cards, too - Blackjack, Poker... They'd let me use my pocket money, 10 dollars a week, and we'd play Poker. I'd try to win all of my brother's money. During the summer holidays we'd play Poker until 9/10pm and then play basketball. It's all about competition!

Vania King: I play Monopoly the most often.

Nadia Petrova: I've been learning Backgammon.

Aleksandra Wozniak: When I was little I use to play so many different games, but I loved Monopoly.

Michaella Krajicek: Monopoly.

Elena Dementieva: We bought Monopoly this year. I really wanted to play it with my brother and his friends. I was surprised how complicated it was though! You have to be smart to understand the rules. We were stuck in the beginning. But we'll figure it out eventually... for now it's on hold!

Sabine Lisicki: I like the game Sorry! I also like card games. You can carry them around when you travel... I usually want to win but I try to relax and enjoy it. Monopoly takes a lot of time to play but if you can do it, it's really fun.

Sean.
Nov 25th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Part V - Do you have a favorite board game?

Elena Dementieva: We bought Monopoly this year. I really wanted to play it with my brother and his friends. I was surprised how complicated it was though! You have to be smart to understand the rules. We were stuck in the beginning. But we'll figure it out eventually... for now it's on hold!

:haha:

I'm starting to think Caro reads this forum, with the pusher comment & refusing to name a guy because people think they are dating (Nando).

Wilson_07
Nov 25th, 2009, 04:30 PM

i bet lena just wanted to be sarcastic with this one :rolls:

helio_c
Nov 25th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Part IV - Do you have any pets?

Nadia Petrova: Not at the moment. I used to have a cat and I'm so much in love with dogs, so whenever I'm done with tennis I'll get one - probably a Chocolate Labrador. They're very friendly and very good with kids, and the dark chocolate color is so attractive to me.

Nadia likes her men dark :lol:

Dave.
Nov 25th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Marion and her cat :awww: I' love how competitive they all are at board games too, especially Marion! They should have a game of monopoly all together sometime.

What people don't realise is that, everyone else is asked these questions individually and so can say what they want. Cara and Liezel were probably asked these questions together so they'd want to make sure the other one gets to answer too. Read any of Liezel's blogs or other interview things, she usually has plenty to say.

WhoAmI?
Nov 25th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Monopoly :inlove:

FORZA SARITA
Nov 25th, 2009, 09:05 PM
omg cara's answers are so boring :weirdo:

Alex03Maccy
Nov 25th, 2009, 10:59 PM
lena :lol:

W!MBLEDON
Nov 26th, 2009, 01:37 AM
black... :shrug: