PDA

View Full Version : After Embarassing White Group in YEC 2009, Should WTA Remove Round Robin Format ???

NA-GOAT
Oct 31st, 2009, 12:21 AM
this 2009 YEC has been pathetic so far

in the Maroon group, four players that deserve SF but only two of them get there ...

in the White group, six players have to play role of four players, with two of them (Zvonareva and Radwanska) playing a match even though they know they have almost no hope of advance to SF ... of these six players, four are injured (Azarenka, Wozniacki, Zvonareva, Safina) ...
the WTA #1 Goatfina retires after playing 2 games and hands a victory to JJ that is record as 2-0 ... Azarenka defeat SF JJ easy but then chokes her other two match ... Wozniacki family smiling like :devil: in the stands after they pay Radwanska to defeat Azarenka :o a injured player advance to SF and will get clobber by Serena :tape:

WTA needs to change YEC back to single elimination to avoid situation like this ... injured player removed from tournament ASAP !!! Imagine this for YEC 2009:

R16
[15] Li d [1] Safina 1-1 ret.
[6] Azarenka d [9] Zvonareva 64 64
[8] Jankovic d [11] Pennetta 75 46 62
[14] Sharapova d [4] Wozniacki 62 75
[3] Kuznetsova d [13] Stosur 63 76
[7] V Williams d [12] Bartoli 60 60
[5] Dementieva d [10] Radwanska 75 75
[2] S Williams d [16] Schiavone 62 64

QF
[15] Li d [6] Azarenka 76 67 76
[14] Sharapova d [8] Jankovic 60 26 76
[7] V Williams d [3] Kuznetsova 62 67 64
[2] S Williams d [5] Dementieva 62 64

LightWarrior
Oct 31st, 2009, 12:28 AM
No. I've enjoyed the drama so far.

Caipirinha Guy
Oct 31st, 2009, 12:28 AM
Couldn't you just better create a blog or sth and not spam here in GM?

Bronx19
Oct 31st, 2009, 12:44 AM
The round robin format is not the issue, its the fact they played tennis everyday for a year.

Joana
Oct 31st, 2009, 12:48 AM
The round robin format is not the issue, its the fact they played tennis everyday for a year.

Azarenka played 16 tournaments this year. That's more than reasonable.
Nobody forced Wozniacki to play 26 tournaments.

Keegan
Oct 31st, 2009, 12:49 AM
Li would be injured, your plan fails.

NA-GOAT
Oct 31st, 2009, 12:53 AM
Li would be injured, your plan fails.

:spit: but Safina worse injur and Azarenka injur too :shrug:

iGOAT
Oct 31st, 2009, 12:54 AM
Everyone please badrep this lunatic :sobbing:!!!

Cakeisgood
Oct 31st, 2009, 01:10 AM
NA-GOAT, stop creating threads please.

Uranium
Oct 31st, 2009, 01:11 AM
:spit: but Safina worse injur and Azarenka injur too :shrug:

She wasn't until today, so she would have kicked UE Queen Na's ass to the curb.

omoruyi
Oct 31st, 2009, 01:12 AM
well im just spamming to say that i think the format is corny; regardless of what happened this or any other year, its just an attempt to make the already unsavory concept of an all-star showcase after 10 long months of grueling international tennis matches by the top players, more unique.

if there must be a round robin i would prefer 16 slots...even 12 is better than 8.
if the exclusiveness of the 'top-ten' isnt a myth this shouldnt be
objectionable;there is nothing exclusive about the tourney now. was there ever? will there ever be :shrug:

i think the chmpnsps. should be 32 players playing a normal single elim.tourney; i wish there was a better time for it though, but there isnt.

DragonFlame
Oct 31st, 2009, 01:14 AM
I was pretty confident in the round robin system until this year. I have to say this system fails hard when there are injuries. :o Then again, it's totally rediculous there were this many injuries and the groups were so unbalanced. I highly doubt the same would happen next year.

tennnisfannn
Oct 31st, 2009, 01:23 AM
the only thing that may be make a difference is if
1) Every slam winner is invited
2) If there are four different winners the year, they should automatcally be seeded in the top 4 to avoid an unbalanced draw!

NA-GOAT
Oct 31st, 2009, 01:38 AM
She wasn't until today, so she would have kicked UE Queen Na's ass to the curb.

:spit: just like the last time they play in Tokyo :p

Volcana
Oct 31st, 2009, 04:22 AM
the only thing that may be make a difference is if
1) Every slam winner is invited
2) If there are four different winners the year, they should automatcally be seeded in the top 4 to avoid an unbalanced draw!I've been an advocate of 'every slam winner should be invited', but this year makes a good case for why not. Clijsters wasn't even in the top sixteen. She played four tournaments, winning one. That's just not enough for a guaranteed spot.

Something like any slam winner who also,
'plays ten tournaments,
wins a Premier event (even a $600.000 Premier)
and is ranked in the top twenty'is guaranteed a spot.

Women's tennis is a partnership. The tournaments don;t survive if the stars don't play. Without the tournaments, nobody makes any money. So to get that YEC spot, a player has to give the WTA something. Winning a slam, by itself, gives the WTA nothing. It's when that slam winner starts appearing in WTA events that the tour itself benefits.

NOTE: I think next year, they're going to award that wildcard spot. To Venus.

Julian.
Oct 31st, 2009, 04:55 AM
No. Remove the knockout stages instead and have just one big group of 8 (like a league). So every player needs to play 7 matches just like grand slam, and everyone plays everyone. Isn't it more fair? :angel:

duhcity
Oct 31st, 2009, 04:56 AM
Are you fucking kidding me?
The White Group has an injury problem, but the quality of tennis is still high. If you had to choose matches to rewatch, it'd probably be from the White Group.

The maroon group was a HOT mess, and none of them were injured. It's saying something when Serena is the most consistent. Venus can only play first sets, and Elena and Sveta are headcasey.
Meanwhile, the white group with the rising stars, fought hard and showed that they wanted to be at the YEC.

bmxbandit
Oct 31st, 2009, 05:02 AM
The White Group has an injury problem, but the quality of tennis is still high. If you had to choose matches to rewatch, it'd probably be from the White Group.

The maroon group was a HOT mess, and none of them were injured. It's saying something when Serena is the most consistent. Venus can only play first sets, and Elena and Sveta are headcasey.
Meanwhile, the white group with the rising stars, fought hard and showed that they wanted to be at the YEC.

Seriously, what are you smoking? :weirdo:

Caralenko
Oct 31st, 2009, 05:17 AM
Seriously, what are you smoking? :weirdo:

I thought it was pretty spot on, except for Serena being sucky. Her level against Elena was superb.

NA-GOAT
Oct 31st, 2009, 06:08 AM

The maroon group was a HOT mess, and none of them were injured.

Please tell me you are joking :spit:
Rewatching matches from the White Group :banghead:

Mikey.
Oct 31st, 2009, 06:38 AM
Oops :spit: Voted Yes by mistake. I meant to vote No.

I really like the RR :shrug: I think it's good that it's different from a normal tournaments. We get to see loads of match ups you usually wouldn't see in this space of time during a normal knock-out tournament.

duhcity
Oct 31st, 2009, 06:43 AM
I thought it was pretty spot on, except for Serena being sucky. Her level against Elena was superb.

Sorry, I reread my post, I didn't mean it to sound like that. Serena has been superb, and was the most consistent out of all of them.
(Except Serena Vs. Venus. That was a battle of wills and who could keep a streak of good tennis longer, although the beginning and end was really dazzling)

Please tell me you are joking :spit:
Rewatching matches from the White Group :banghead:

Which match would you choose to rewatch in the Red Group, sans any match Serena played? I like Venus, no need to put myself through that. I know it might be hard to grasp

Meanwhile in the Red Group, Caro Vs. Vika was great, Caro vs. Vera was great, Radwasnka vs. Vika was great (until the latter of set 3), and can't hate on JJ vs. Caro since JJ's my favorite.

And really, your tune would completely change if any sort of Chinese player became involved in it. I know you have this biting incessant need to create topics and polls, promote chinese players, and shit all over players you don't like, but as least show some kind of objectivity in your posts if you're going to continue posting non-stop. Go rewatch some of those Kuz/Elena matches. Do they really "deserve" to be in the Semifinals over Caro, Vika, or JJ?

PLP
Oct 31st, 2009, 07:23 AM
I voted Yes, even though I love RR. It just isn't working. This year has been a bit of a joke, not that it's any one players' fault...and I am very happy with the semifinals.

They should go back to 16 players though, definitely.

rockstar
Oct 31st, 2009, 08:05 AM
LMAO AT NA LI MAKING THE QFs :spit:

kinda removes all credibility from na-goat

lilimi
Oct 31st, 2009, 08:07 AM
no. all players deserve to be there.
what i've never understood is why do they have to play everyday. they should have a day off between matches. i don't know...one day white matches and one day maroon matches. given the fact that the WTA season is shorter, it would be better.

Feyd
Oct 31st, 2009, 08:30 AM
And how exactly single elimination (SE) is better than RR in handling injuries? At least in RR alternates can sub in for the injured players, in SE, the crowd will not even have a match.

And all the other tournaments are in SE format anyway, at least RR makes YEC unique.

TheBoiledEgg
Oct 31st, 2009, 08:57 AM
should start on Sunday like the Men do

1 gp on Sun
next on Mon........ so on until Friday

SF Sat, final Sun

you dont need 3 matches in 1 day.

kman
Oct 31st, 2009, 09:01 AM
no. all players deserve to be there.
what i've never understood is why do they have to play everyday. they should have a day off between matches. i don't know...one day white matches and one day maroon matches. given the fact that the WTA season is shorter, it would be better.

Agreed. Players really need a day off between matches, especially when it's so late in the season and players are worn down and prone to injury.

madmax
Oct 31st, 2009, 10:07 AM
I wonder what is really stopping them from implementing Round of 16 format - you get 16 best players in the world, 4 matches to take it all, less fatigue and retirements, followed by embarrassments on the court...Tennis isn't a team sport, RR format simply doesn't work here.

Tanja8
Oct 31st, 2009, 10:31 AM

I haven`t seen all matches but from what I saw I agree with you. I watched Azarenka - Radwanska yesterday and I really enjoy it. High quality tennis, very entertaining (1st and 2nd set, of course. The 3rd was ridiculous). I can imagine Wozniacki - Zvonarjova was entertaining, too.

kman
Oct 31st, 2009, 10:34 AM
I haven`t seen all matches but from what I saw I agree with you. I watched Azarenka - Radwanska yesterday and I really enjoy it. High quality tennis, very entertaining (1st and 2nd set, of course. The 3rd was ridiculous). I can imagine Wozniacki - Zvonarjova was entertaining, too.

Azarenka-Wozniacki was better overall.

But the ending of Wozniacki-Zvonarova was amazing. Never seen such a dramatic ending to a tennis match :eek:

gmak
Oct 31st, 2009, 10:48 AM
always enjoyed top16 more :shrug:

and now with all those injuries, it would be even better, because nobody would have to play more than 4 matches

Beat
Oct 31st, 2009, 12:03 PM
no. it worked brilliantly and excitingly in other years. i still blame the new roadmap for all the injuries.

Break My Rapture
Oct 31st, 2009, 12:40 PM
Embarassing White Group? :spit: There were a lot of good and exciting matches there, maybe even more than in the Maroon Group. :shrug:

NeeemZ
Oct 31st, 2009, 12:44 PM
LMAO AT NA LI MAKING THE QFs :spit:

kinda removes all credibility from na-goat

NA-GOAT has credibility? :tape::help::lol:

markdelaney
Oct 31st, 2009, 01:12 PM
This was always a lop sided event once the draw was made (just like the US open). The injuries and withdrawals destroyed one group
As much as I love Venus, she has lost 2 out of 3 matches yet goes through to the semi finals and that's ridiculous. The other group was a laughable farce. You shouldn't be able to lose 2 matches in a tournament and still progress but the Round Robin format , just like in football, often wipes out a giant killing result and makes it meaningless.

Why not have the top 16, seeded, in a straight knock out tournament like they used to ?

I still want to see Venus win but I acknowledge that she's lost 2/3 matches and really shouldn't be in the semi finals.