PDA

View Full Version : Lack of fan support for Safina a mystery

spiceboy
Oct 30th, 2009, 09:37 PM
http://www.gulf-times.com/site/topics/article.asp?cu_no=2&item_no=323263&version=1&template_id=49&parent_id=29

Lack of fan support for Safina a mystery
By Anil John
Sports Editor

Dinara Safina may be missing out on a large fan base because many in this part of the world are unaware she is a Muslim or simply donít care. Both attitudes are based on some serious fault lines.

Now, I know all about keeping religion away from sport and that sports stars should be appreciated for what they do on the court and not on the basis of what faith they belong to. But in Safinaís case I donít mind sticking my head out and ask some tough questions.

The lack of adulation for Safina is strange and incomprehensible for the simple reason that the Muslim world is so desperately short of women role models.

When Moroccan male tennis players such as Younes el-Aynaoui Ė a winner in Doha Ė and Hicham Arazi were regulars at the Qatar Open, fans packed the stands to cheer their every shot. But when Safina plays thereís hardly a ripple of excitement. Itís a question that demands serious answers. Is this because Safina is a woman, one is tempted to ask.

Safina and her brother Marat Safin are the only brother-sister pair to have risen to the top of the rankings and in all these years as a journalist I have not come across any article highlighting this fact. Even some of my Muslim colleagues in the Arabic media seem unaware.

Perhaps they assume that because Safina is from Russia she is a Christian, but the fact is that she is of Tatar descent whose parents run a tennis club in Moscow. But Safinaís situation has only worked out to her advantage, especially if compared with that of Indiaís Sania Mirzaís.

Mirza has been a victim of excessive fan adulation and media interest ever since she started playing the game. Her short skirts and tight t-shirts made as much news as her tennis and obscure clerics used the situation to gain cheap publicity. If my memory serves me right, one even issued a fatwa against her.Mirza though has dealt with the situation remarkably well, her sharp wit and intelligence sparkling through at press conferences whenever she is asked questions related to her faith.

Perhaps Safina is not media savvy, perhaps itís because she has described herself as a non-practicing Muslim. But even then, she deserves better.

Wiggly
Oct 30th, 2009, 09:44 PM
She'a a white Russian + non-practicing Muslim.
I don't see the Arab world + Indonesia going craaaaaaazy about her.

And why should you support someone base on his/her religion?:tape:

TheBoiledEgg
Oct 30th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Arazi, Alami and el-Aynaoui are Arabs

Sania gets alot of support here, not from Arabs, but from Indians who live in this part of the world.

Arabs treat the people from Indian sub-continent as low class and beneath them, all the jobs they dont wanna do they get people in from there with low pay.

The Kaz
Oct 30th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Arazi, Alami and el-Aynaoui are Arabs

Sania gets alot of support here, not from Arabs, but from Indians who live in this part of the world.

Arabs treat the people from Indian sub-continent as low class and beneath them, all the jobs they dont wanna do they get people in from there with low pay.

Isn't that the same for every country? :tape:

van£ss
Oct 30th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Weird article , i mean most people don't even cheer for people from their country so it's the same for the players religions :shrug: I can't imagine myself liking someone for those reasons , it's kinda stupid IMHO !

tennisbum79
Oct 30th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Weird article , i mean most people don't even cheer for people from their country so it's the same for the players religions :shrug: I can't imagine myself liking someone for those reasons , it's kinda stupid IMHO !
Sounds like a bad high school newspaper article.
Lazy and shallow

bunch_01
Oct 30th, 2009, 11:10 PM
To compare her to Mirza is ridiculous. A lot of Mirza's support is from her countrymen not co-religionists.

Volcana
Oct 30th, 2009, 11:36 PM
http://www.gulf-times.com/site/topics/article.asp?cu_no=2&item_no=323263&version=1&template_id=49&parent_id=29

By Anil John
Sports Editor

Dinara Safina may be missing out on a large fan base because many in this part of the world are unaware she is a Muslim or simply donít care.
Amazing. The author put that in the first line of the story, and missed it's significance. Tennis fans don't care about a player's religion.

Optima
Oct 30th, 2009, 11:40 PM
Probably one of the dumbest articles I've ever read.

Ferg
Oct 30th, 2009, 11:42 PM
Safinas a muslim? :speakles: I never knew.

Buitenzorg
Oct 30th, 2009, 11:49 PM
I didn't know Safina is a muslim

volta
Oct 31st, 2009, 08:13 AM
Safinas a muslim? :speakles: I never knew.

+1

this article is a big FAIL :o

matthias
Oct 31st, 2009, 09:03 AM
i never knewed she is muslim too

i think the lack of support is just because of her negative personality, she isnīt hot, and she is a boring player

so why to cheer for her?
i think the most fans of her just like her because she has her nationality (russians) or they hate her opponents (Williams hater, and so on)

Julian.
Oct 31st, 2009, 09:07 AM
I knew she is a muslim because of Wikipedia. :lol:

Caralenko
Oct 31st, 2009, 09:39 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_GWJatwb-WlI/SYr4B-rpbHI/AAAAAAAAIQA/ZVcX-G6-fXw/s400/najarian_fedcup09.jpg

i think the most fans of her just like her because she has her nationality (russians) or they hate her opponents (Williams hater, and so on)

You couldn't be more wrong. She has a very likeable personality and she isn't ugly to most of us who aren't shallow.

The Kaz
Oct 31st, 2009, 09:58 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_GWJatwb-WlI/SYr4B-rpbHI/AAAAAAAAIQA/ZVcX-G6-fXw/s400/najarian_fedcup09.jpg

You couldn't be more wrong. She has a very likeable personality and she isn't ugly to most of us who aren't shallow.

Then why isn't popular then ;)

Btw that photo is just plain WRONG! :tape:

Caralenko
Oct 31st, 2009, 10:08 AM
Then why isn't she popular then ;)

Because everybody writes her off as Slamfinalchokinguglybitchfina :sobbing:

matthias
Oct 31st, 2009, 10:13 AM
Because everybody writes her off as Slamfinalchokinguglybitchfina :sobbing:

well, i found her plain boring as she was ranked outside of top20 3 years ago

Tanja8
Oct 31st, 2009, 10:20 AM
I knew she is a muslim because of Wikipedia. :lol:
Did you? I haven`t found such statement on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinara_Safina
The fact that she is Tatar doesn`t say anything about her religion. She was born in Moscow, in Soviet Union. She could be muslim, orthodox or atheist or anything else.

And I agree that it doesn`t matter at all. I never ask myself which religion certain player belongs to. I`ve only heard that Serena and Venus are Jehowa`s witnesses and that Sania Mirza is Muslim.
(maybe it`s because I was brought up in a Communist country ... and that`s why I think the religion is private thing of every person:lol:;))

Irina123
Oct 31st, 2009, 10:27 AM

By Anil John
Sports Editor

Safina and her brother Marat Safin are the only brother-sister pair to have risen to the top of the rankings and in all these years as a journalist I have not come across any article highlighting this fact. Even some of my Muslim colleagues in the Arabic media seem unaware..
all these years?? :lol:I didn't know Dinara has risen to number one ranking many years ago. Not a single article highliting this fact, really? The guy loses any credibility with the line like that. He either blantly lies or he has no clue about what he's writing about.

duhcity
Oct 31st, 2009, 10:45 AM
Mirza is a bad example, Peer is better. You should see Shahar Peer at the US Open. I'm a New Yorker, and I get the Jew Love, but it's a bit ridiculous to cheer her on so strongly when the people cheering don't even watch the sport. All of my jewish friends know who Shahar Peer is, even though most of them can barely name any player outside the top 5 (except for like Oudin, Sharapova etc.)

Julian.
Oct 31st, 2009, 10:53 AM
Did you? I haven`t found such statement on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinara_Safina
The fact that she is Tatar doesn`t say anything about her religion. She was born in Moscow, in Soviet Union. She could be muslim, orthodox or atheist or anything else.

And I agree that it doesn`t matter at all. I never ask myself which religion certain player belongs to. I`ve only heard that Serena and Venus are Jehowa`s witnesses and that Sania Mirza is Muslim.
(maybe it`s because I was brought up in a Communist country ... and that`s why I think the religion is private thing of every person:lol:;))

I don't know. I kinda assumed that she is muslim. :p

thegreendestiny
Oct 31st, 2009, 12:00 PM
She'a a white Russian + non-practicing Muslim.

She is of Tatar descent.

Beat
Oct 31st, 2009, 12:01 PM
she's about as muslim as i am.

AnnaK_4ever
Oct 31st, 2009, 12:29 PM
well, i found her plain boring as she was ranked outside of top20 3 years ago

3 years ago she was #11 :p

matthias
Oct 31st, 2009, 01:09 PM
3 years ago she was #11 :p

then 4 years ago

AnnaK_4ever
Oct 31st, 2009, 01:13 PM
then 4 years ago

4 years ago she was #20.
Try again.

matthias
Oct 31st, 2009, 01:26 PM
4 years ago she was #20.
Try again.

whatever, it was the time as Eggy always called her Offayette, she was around #21 and #30

AnnaK_4ever
Oct 31st, 2009, 02:01 PM
whatever, it was the time as Eggy always called her Offayette, she was around #21 and #30

You mean Oafette :lol:
Another FAIL.

Ferg
Oct 31st, 2009, 02:14 PM
4 years ago she was #20.
Try again.

:spit:

matthias
Oct 31st, 2009, 02:55 PM
You mean Oafette :lol:
Another FAIL.

another proof how less i care about her :tape:

Patrick345
Oct 31st, 2009, 03:02 PM
Is there a single athlete in any sport that has been supported for his religious believes?

National pride and feelings, but religion? :confused:

DS.Fan.
Oct 31st, 2009, 03:31 PM
I don't care her religion.It's important for a player? I love her cos she is Dinara:D