PDA

View Full Version : WTA has officially turned into the circus

AnnaK_4ever
Oct 30th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Look, I don't deny all the girls in the White group are injured but what is going on is just ridiculous.

P.S.
Asderaki is such a copycat :lol:

BournemouthBoy
Oct 30th, 2009, 07:45 PM
this is what happens when you host the YEC int he heat of Africa

Libertango
Oct 30th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Africa?!

RND
Oct 30th, 2009, 07:47 PM
But the thing is, they are actually playing pretty well!

Petkorazzi
Please enlighten me how Qatar is Africa? :lol:

Miss Atomic Bomb
:lol:

Ferg

:spit:

TheBoiledEgg
Oct 30th, 2009, 07:48 PM
YEC should always be indoors

MegaDethly
rofl

Kim's_fan_4ever

Just like that poster who claimed Africa to be a coutry :worship:

!Gio!
Oct 30th, 2009, 07:50 PM
There is no excuse for this you see someone like Venus, Elena and Serena who are close to 30 years of age competing in 3 set matches back to back while the youngsters, (the supposed future of the WTA) cant play a match without getting injured or crying.
So much over dramatics give me a break already!!!

madmax
Oct 30th, 2009, 07:51 PM
why the hell YEC is held in that humid shitty third world country? Why not Paris or New York ar Los Angeles Indoors?

!Gio!
And people saying Qatar is Africa is just:help:!!!

timafi
funniest shit I've seen in years:lol:

tennnisfannn
Oct 30th, 2009, 07:52 PM
pls tell me you are American!

Ferg
Oct 30th, 2009, 07:53 PM
why the hell YEC is held in that humid shitty third world country? Why not Paris or New York ar Los Angeles Indoors?

This thread is too much :haha:

Steff_forever
Oct 30th, 2009, 07:53 PM
so sad for the so-called peak of the season

Vika :sad:
Bepa :sad:
Caro :rolleyes: for tomorrow
Dinara :rolleyes:

kris719
Oct 30th, 2009, 07:54 PM
best YEC ever.

Libertango
Oct 30th, 2009, 07:54 PM

OMG :tape: :help:

AnnaK_4ever
Oct 30th, 2009, 07:56 PM
There is no excuse for this you see someone like Venus, Elena and Serena who are close to 30 years of age competing in 3 set matches back to back while the youngsters, (the supposed future of the WTA) cant play a match without getting injured or crying.

That's the future of the women's tennis for you.

Valanga

:o is it the next "aravane travels from paris to australia by van" thread?

markdelaney
I dunno, most people would class Serena and Venus as the best 2 players in the world (when fit) and it looks like they will face each other in the final.

Dave B
Oct 30th, 2009, 07:57 PM
pls tell me you are American!

Wouldn't happen. Americans know the Middle East. We have to keep track of the oil.

thierry
Oct 30th, 2009, 07:57 PM
What strikes me is how after all the criticisms and hatred and judging, year in year out the Williams sisters still are at the centre of everything. I mean, i gave up on Vee yesterday after she lost the second set to Sveta only to come back online a few hours ago and be greeted by the shock headline of 'Venus through to semis' WTF ! i thought she was done....and now both sisters have two VERY beatable opponents and could very possibly meet in the final of singles and could also possibly win doubles! OTHER WTA PLAYERS WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING?

If what i've predicted above happens, i will be overjoyed of course as a WS fan but saddened at the state of the WTA really....why the fuck can't these so called young guns play three set matches back to back? My God it's pathetic. Anywa Venus and Serena, take it all ladies and host your annual Williams Tennis Association banquet whose signature cocktail is some SHUT UP JUICE for the haters and they are a plenty.

!Gio!
Oct 30th, 2009, 07:58 PM
I am sorry but from what I have seen from these girls if this was in New York, they would probably end up catching a cold and start crying and drama!!!:help: I know its been a long season but these are 19 or 20 year old girls and they don't have the physical endurance, the veterans are just putting them to shame.

BournemouthBoy
Oct 30th, 2009, 07:58 PM
middle east..north africa..same thing

Slutiana
Oct 30th, 2009, 07:59 PM
TennisForum has turned into a circus too, apparently. :tape:

kris719
Oct 30th, 2009, 08:00 PM
TennisForum has turned into a circus too, apparently. :tape:

you just figured that out?

madmax
this tournamnet needed Clijsters and Pova badly just to show these drama queens how it needs to be done professionally:angry: All these young pretenders are beyond pathetic and wothless..

!Gio!
That's the future of the women's tennis for you.

I get your point. I hope not because it would mean future of WTA Tour = RIP

cellophane
Oct 30th, 2009, 08:02 PM
this tournamnet needed Clijsters and Pova badly just to show these drama queens how it needs to be done professionally:angry: All these young pretenders are beyond pathetic and wothless..

:spit:

Dave B
Oct 30th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Please. It's this forum that is being a bit dramatic. Young players not having proper conditioning is nothing new. The news is that there is a lack of older champions (Clijsters, Henin, Pova, etc.) to relieve them from their embarrassment. They have been able to rise beyond their conditioning as a result.

Yorker
Oct 30th, 2009, 08:04 PM
I get your point. I hope not because it would mean future of WTA Tour = RIP

there is some hope with henin and clijsters back. we will at least have 4 big guns with them and the williams. some of these girls are just dumb, i understand they love tennis but you need to be smart with the amount of time your on the court and the tourneys you enter.

BournemouthBoy
Oct 30th, 2009, 08:05 PM
the format is the problem, we see plenty of retirements in regular tournements but they allow a healthy player to advance, this format and prize money means GREED takes over and the players just will not quit. Id like to see a NFL playoffs type format, 12 players, top 4 seeds get a bye through to last 8

The Dawntreader
Oct 30th, 2009, 08:06 PM

Sheltered life in Bournemouth then?

jefrilibra
Oct 30th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Did someone just say CIRCUS? That's the WTA for you.

http://i37.tinypic.com/klr82.gif

fammmmedspin
Oct 30th, 2009, 08:07 PM
They are in one of the wealthiest and most developed countries in the Middle Easy but in terms of climate and lack of crowds its a ridiculous play to be. LA was like watching someone play in an empty warehouse. MSG or some equivalent would be so much better.
The tennis is just mirroring the year. the youngsters who have been playing the tour can't cross the final line and they and the older fulltime players who play a full schedule are worn out and falling apart. As seems the norm, the part time players look like turning up and walking off with the biggest cheques again.

MegaDethly
Oct 30th, 2009, 08:08 PM
the format is the problem, we see plenty of retirements in regular tournements but they allow a healthy player to advance, this format and prize money means GREED takes over and the players just will not quit. Id like to see a NFL playoffs type format, 12 players, top 4 seeds get a bye through to last 8

lol

BournemouthBoy
Oct 30th, 2009, 08:10 PM
and make them wear pads like the NFL

Matt01
Oct 30th, 2009, 08:14 PM
For once I (partially) have to agree with the OP. The YEC is a joke right now, and Bali next week will probably be even worse. The Roadmap is one big fail and did nothing to prevent the injuries or to create interesting rivalries or improve the level of play. However, the WTA can only be partially blamed for this because any player who played a Wozniacki-like schedule would be injured at the end of a season.

And what exactly does this have to do with injuries? Do you think the players are injured because of the humid conditions?

Petkorazzi
Oct 30th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Wouldn't happen. Americans know the Middle East. We have to keep track of the oil.
And they don't have to keep track of where they are themselves? :sobbing:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070828065236AAVLFvy

laurie
Oct 30th, 2009, 08:29 PM
I confess I wasn't aware of a tournament in Bali. The YEC is supposed to be the premier tournament and last tournament of a long season. I thought the roadmap was there to address the length of the season.

Anyway its clear for everyone to see that the administration of the WTA tour has been terrible this year. And unfortunately the top players haven't exactly covered themselves in glory either.

blueskye
Oct 30th, 2009, 08:31 PM

Why?? There are plenty of tournaments held in the above countries, tennis is a world wide sport with players from all over the world, why shouldn't that be represented on the tour map?? If countries are able to facilitate a tournament and players are happy to travel there, then more support to them!
The weather in Australia is also "humid" and baking in the beginnig of the year with players complaining of the heatwaves...should those tournaments also be moved to less "shitty places" ? :help:

gmak
Oct 30th, 2009, 08:31 PM
i agree this whole season has been EPIC FAIL but there were a few highlights

i expect next year to be a lot better with Kim, Masha and even :bigwave: around

thrust
Oct 30th, 2009, 08:34 PM
YEC should always be indoors

Good point, the Madrid matches were far superior to these. But then, the quality of player was higher there too. Still, I think the heat and humidity of Doha was tough on the players this year and probably contributed to the cramping.

Steff_forever
Oct 30th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Good point, the Madrid matches were far superior to these. But then, the quality of player was higher there too. Still, I think the heat and humidity of Doha was tough on the players this year and probably contributed to the cramping.
:yeah:

Babsi Schett also said how difficult these conditons are for all players (regarding the cramps)

!Gio!
Oct 30th, 2009, 08:48 PM
If humidity is a problem here than wait till Australia, that means these new it girls will be dropping like flies if they don't work on their fitness.

Vamos Feńa
Oct 30th, 2009, 09:00 PM

you sure about it? :help::help:

The Kaz
Oct 30th, 2009, 09:04 PM
If humidity is a problem here than wait till Australia, that means these new it girls will be dropping like flies if they don't work on their fitness.

Its not humid in southern Australia in summer...it is just plain HOT :o

Its only the middle of spring and the winter is already 27C here :scared:

Graf~Dokic
Oct 30th, 2009, 09:10 PM
I'd like to have the YEC back to LA Staples Center or Madrid indoors. It's very difficult for the players who have played in the relatively cold Europe and indoors with normal temperatures to come to a place where it's like 30+ degrees at 7 p.m. :eek:

Matt01
Oct 30th, 2009, 09:13 PM
YEC should be held indoors in Europe IMO.
Madrid in 2005/06 was good, maybe they should move it to Antwerp now.

Doha should be made a MM tourney held in February :p or in January as warm-up for AO.

Denise4925
Oct 30th, 2009, 09:16 PM

Third world country??!!:confused:

Denise4925
Oct 30th, 2009, 09:18 PM
What strikes me is how after all the criticisms and hatred and judging, year in year out the Williams sisters still are at the centre of everything. I mean, i gave up on Vee yesterday after she lost the second set to Sveta only to come back online a few hours ago and be greeted by the shock headline of 'Venus through to semis' WTF ! i thought she was done....and now both sisters have two VERY beatable opponents and could very possibly meet in the final of singles and could also possibly win doubles! OTHER WTA PLAYERS WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING?

If what i've predicted above happens, i will be overjoyed of course as a WS fan but saddened at the state of the WTA really....why the fuck can't these so called young guns play three set matches back to back? My God it's pathetic. Anywa Venus and Serena, take it all ladies and host your annual Williams Tennis Association banquet whose signature cocktail is some SHUT UP JUICE for the haters and they are a plenty.

:lol::lol::lol:

Juju Nostalgique
Oct 30th, 2009, 09:24 PM
...in the heat of Africa

:weirdo:

Don't you know that Doha is in Oceania?

C. W. Fields
Oct 30th, 2009, 09:25 PM
And what exactly does this have to do with injuries? Do you think the players are injured because of the humid conditions?

Extreme heat and high humidity actually does make it easier to get injured because of dehydration and zapping of strength. It also aggravates existing injuries. A player like Safina would of course have exited the tournament no matter where it was played, but some of the other injured players may well have fared better.

friendsita
Oct 30th, 2009, 09:29 PM
There is no excuse for this you see someone like Venus, Elena and Serena who are close to 30 years of age competing in 3 set matches back to back while the youngsters, (the supposed future of the WTA) cant play a match without getting injured or crying. So much over dramatics give me a break already!!!

agreed

sammy01
Oct 30th, 2009, 09:35 PM
R.I.P WTA. i mean seriously wrap the williams sisters in cotton wool, along with clisters henin and sharapova, cus if these players are not playing in the next few years the WTA has nothing to fall back on.

pav
Oct 30th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Why go on about the overthreaded about boring old Williams sisters,Pova and Puddingface,this lot are far more interesting! Next we will want NBN there!

Donny
Oct 30th, 2009, 10:00 PM

Actually it's located on the Arabian peninsula...

FormerlyKnownAs
Oct 30th, 2009, 10:12 PM
The WTA wants to promote womans tennis and make it world wide.

Can you imagine the local women (if they got permission) playing in that heat in burkas?

watchdogfish
Oct 30th, 2009, 10:28 PM

Or perhaps it's in the Middle East....?

http://community.post-gazette.com/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.21.65/MiddleEast_2D00_450_2D00_Qatar.jpg

Golovinjured.
Oct 30th, 2009, 10:29 PM
R.I.P WTA. i mean seriously wrap the williams sisters in cotton wool, along with clisters henin and sharapova, cus if these players are not playing in the next few years the WTA has nothing to fall back on.

This.

kman
Oct 30th, 2009, 10:35 PM
The WTA wants to promote womans tennis and make it world wide.

Can you imagine the local women (if they got permission) playing in that heat in burkas?

:lol:

Tennisation
Oct 30th, 2009, 10:38 PM
What's more sad is the debate over where the fuck in the world is this place that gets to hold one of the most prestigious events of the year :spit:

gc-spurs
Oct 30th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Or perhaps it's in the Middle East....?

http://community.post-gazette.com/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.21.65/MiddleEast_2D00_450_2D00_Qatar.jpg

Or perhaps its in Southern California.....?

http://http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm137/gizamaboo/california_map_a-1.jpg

Destiny
Oct 30th, 2009, 11:50 PM
I believe, that eh, some, er people out their in our nation don't have maps ..

Cookie for anyone who gets this reference.

tennisforadults
Oct 30th, 2009, 11:51 PM

England... scotland... ireland... same thing.

America... Canada... same thing.

Brazil... Argentina... same thing.

Thanks for your enlightenment!

davidmario
Oct 31st, 2009, 12:07 AM

haha:lol: they have more money than america and europe altogether;)

DutchieGirl
Oct 31st, 2009, 12:14 AM
Why?? There are plenty of tournaments held in the above countries, tennis is a world wide sport with players from all over the world, why shouldn't that be represented on the tour map?? If countries are able to facilitate a tournament and players are happy to travel there, then more support to them!
The weather in Australia is also "humid" and baking in the beginnig of the year with players complaining of the heatwaves...should those tournaments also be moved to less "shitty places" ? :help:
I'm sorry, but the weather in BRISBANE is humid in January. Compared to that, Sydney, Hobart and Melbourne have a much drier heat! (I am from Melbourne - lived there almost 30 years).

*Jool*
Oct 31st, 2009, 12:44 AM
best YEC ever.
I would tend to agree :drool:

serenafan08
Oct 31st, 2009, 01:03 AM

:rolls: :tape: :o

Jacey
Oct 31st, 2009, 01:09 AM

lmao :lol:

but your right ;)

Albireo
Oct 31st, 2009, 02:18 AM

... and such-like.

gmokb
Oct 31st, 2009, 02:35 AM

:lol:Doha, Qatar is in Asia

Hurley
Oct 31st, 2009, 03:18 AM

Someone needs a globe, a lobotomy, and a nap.

cellardoor
Oct 31st, 2009, 03:43 AM

Miss South Carolina! that will never get old, such as and.

choosing Doha for the YEC was a bad idea. it's like they looked forward to 10 min heat breaks.

@danieln1
Oct 31st, 2009, 03:55 AM
It´s a circus, has full of drama, and i love it!
Better than the mens, boring matches, with no drama most of the time

C. W. Fields
Oct 31st, 2009, 02:43 PM

I'm not that surprised the 'older' generation handles the extreme conditions in Doha better than the youngsters. When you look at other extreme sports for instance marathons who are the best in the world, 19-20 year olds? Not it's people in their late 20s early 30s. No matter how fit a 20 yo might be there's a certain body stamina you just can't acquire without having been a top athlete for a number of years.

!Gio!
Oct 31st, 2009, 02:59 PM
I'm not that surprised the 'older' generation handles the extreme conditions in Doha better than the youngsters. When you look at other extreme sports for instance marathons who are the best in the world, 19-20 year olds? Not it's people in their late 20s early 30s. No matter how fit a 20 yo might be there's a certain body stamina you just can't acquire without having been a top athlete for a number of years.

Good point but I have been watching tennis for years and when Martina Hingis, Venus, Serena, Kim, Elena or Justine were teens playing at YEC there was never these types of matches, these over dramatics on court, constant withdraws and injuries:help:.

mykarma
Oct 31st, 2009, 03:14 PM

WTF is wrong with you people? :spit:

Beat
Oct 31st, 2009, 03:21 PM

i think i just died laughing.

AnnaK_4ever
Oct 31st, 2009, 05:40 PM
:rolls: :crazy:

All we need now is Serena's retirement in the final.

Vee Williams
Oct 31st, 2009, 05:42 PM
It is a circus indeed:

- Azarenka throwing fits
- Jelena arguing with her own coach during play
- Zvonareva crying after each time she gets broken

etc.

Sammm
Oct 31st, 2009, 05:43 PM
What's weird is that injuries seem more commonplace on the WTA tour than the Atp, even though their season is shorter. I'm not sure the season can be reduced much more :shrug:

bjurra
Oct 31st, 2009, 05:50 PM
Serena will now have to play for 5 consecutive days. That is just not a good concept for such an important event.

Marty-Dom
Oct 31st, 2009, 05:50 PM
Safina- injured
Wozniacki- injured
Azarenka- injured
Jankovic- healthy
Serena- injured
Kuznetsova- healthy
Dementieva- healthy
Venus- injured
Zvonareva- injured
Radwanska- injured

70% of top 10 are injured at the end of the year, the healthy 30% are not good enough to win their matches. Yes, it's a circus, but we love it anyway.

jefrilibra
Oct 31st, 2009, 05:53 PM
The 2 oldest players of the 10 players have managed to get to the final.:lol:

!Gio!
Oct 31st, 2009, 05:56 PM
LOL, quality wins again!;)

Slammer7
Oct 31st, 2009, 05:56 PM
Serena will now have to play for 5 consecutive days. That is just not a good concept for such an important event.

She had the day off yesterday.

C. W. Fields
Oct 31st, 2009, 05:58 PM
Good point but I have been watching tennis for years and when Martina Hingis, Venus, Serena, Kim, Elena or Justine were teens playing at YEC there was never these types of matches, these over dramatics on court, constant withdraws and injuries:help:.

In those days YEC was played in America and Europe under less severe circumstances.

Jekyll
Oct 31st, 2009, 06:11 PM
I think they should pay them less money!!!!

Slammer7
Oct 31st, 2009, 06:16 PM
^ :rolleyes: Oh please! When they did people still bitched, so what difference does it make? It's not coming out of either of our pockets. I don't give a damn if some corporation is forking out a few grand more. Will it make anyone feel better if the multimillionaire tennis players make a few thousand less? I don't think so. :p

Larrybidd
I can't beleive all the crying about the weather. Geez, it was a little hot and humid - and not even extremely so, compared to a typical AO. SO WHAT?? These are world class athletes, for chrisakes!! Hot humid weather is BETTER for players with muscle injuries (Safina?) and to my knowlege only one player was cramping (Woz). Is that reason for all the whining? I'm glad the WTA has arranged for the season to be over by November 1st. To me that is excellent progress. The players just have to get tougher - and they will.

PhilePhile

It has been a marathon (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/1/1_31/3440.shtml).

C. W. Fields
Oct 31st, 2009, 06:34 PM
I can't beleive all the crying about the weather. Geez, it was a little hot and humid - and not even extremely so, compared to a typical AO. SO WHAT?? These are world class athletes, for chrisakes!! Hot humid weather is BETTER for players with muscle injuries (Safina?) and to my knowlege only one player was cramping (Woz). Is that reason for all the whining? I'm glad the WTA has arranged for the season to be over by November 1st. To me that is excellent progress. The players just have to get tougher - and they will.

The weather was often 35C and 85% humidity. That's pretty severe in my book. You could see the players dripping with sweat already in the first game of a match. And Wozniacki wasn't the only one with cramps; Azarenka pulled out with cramps, too. And don't forget Zvonareva's nosebleed. It's a common occurence when you're close to having a heat stroke, the blood vessels in the nose simply burst.
And at AO it may be hot but you also have a day off between matches and you start out with some easy opponents. At YEC you must play 5 matches against top players in 5-6 days in order to win the tournament.

ClaudiaZ-S
Oct 31st, 2009, 06:38 PM
worst YEC ever :mad:

gc-spurs
Oct 31st, 2009, 08:01 PM
Safina- injured
Wozniacki- injured
Azarenka- injured
Jankovic- healthy
Serena- injured
Kuznetsova- healthy
Dementieva- healthy
Venus- injured
Zvonareva- injured
Radwanska- injured

70% of top 10 are injured at the end of the year, the healthy 30% are not good enough to win their matches. Yes, it's a circus, but we love it anyway.

JJ is always injured until furthur notice (when she wins a slam)

DutchieGirl
Oct 31st, 2009, 09:03 PM
The weather was often 35C and 85% humidity. That's pretty severe in my book. You could see the players dripping with sweat already in the first game of a match. And Wozniacki wasn't the only one with cramps; Azarenka pulled out with cramps, too. And don't forget Zvonareva's nosebleed. It's a common occurence when you're close to having a heat stroke, the blood vessels in the nose simply burst.
And at AO it may be hot but you also have a day off between matches and you start out with some easy opponents. At YEC you must play 5 matches against top players in 5-6 days in order to win the tournament.
AO doesn't generally have 85% humidity either.