PDA

View Full Version : Now Think Again.Will Azarenka Win A Slam?

Noctis
Oct 30th, 2009, 07:17 PM
She's exposed Mental Midget

64 40 ------> 64 57

Had Mp Vs Wozniacki

Grandslam QF Chokes

Temperenka
Oct 30th, 2009, 07:21 PM
She has a good coach... if he can get her head together in this off season and early next year, then maybe. But her head is the only thing stopping her.

adner
Oct 30th, 2009, 07:21 PM
What about her opponents starting to play her.. umm... their best game? :p

Volcana
Oct 30th, 2009, 07:52 PM
1975 US Open semi.

Guillermo Vilas leads Manuel Orantes 6-4, 6-1, 2-6, 5-0, 40-0 in the fourth set. Triple match point while bageling the guy. Only Orantes comes back and wins the match 4-6, 1-6, 6-2, 7-5, 6-4. In your book, that makes Vilas a 'mental midget' right? But he went on to win four slams singles titles, competing against Connors and Borg and McEnroe.

One match, however dramatic, is never predictive.

powerbackhand
Oct 30th, 2009, 08:08 PM
she should, her ballstriking is brilliant

RenaSlam.
Oct 30th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Such a headcase. Needs to get that together if she has any chance.

Nikkiri
Oct 30th, 2009, 08:14 PM
She has the time.

Libertango
Oct 30th, 2009, 08:19 PM
She's very talented; and totally mad. Who the f*** knows!

Feyd
Oct 30th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Well, Kuznetsova has two, so maybe? :shrug:

Roookie
Oct 30th, 2009, 08:23 PM
No... The only thing she she's proved so far is that she can play one incredible first set. (AO vs. Serena, RG vs. Dinara, YEC vs. Caro) and then totally collapse.

Illusionist
Oct 30th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Yes, she will.

Vikapower
Oct 30th, 2009, 09:13 PM
No... The only thing she she's proved so far is that she can play one incredible first set. (AO vs. Serena, RG vs. Dinara, YEC vs. Caro) and then totally collapse.
Yeah that's true she really needs to learn how to control a match and her level of play from start to end and stop believing that a match is only one set and a half.

She'll slam cuz Kuz is not a mentally very tough player and foretime she's fought herself to 2 GS. But Vika will correct that I guess because she's allways willing to get better !

pwayne
Oct 30th, 2009, 09:31 PM
She will win a Slam when no one expects her to especially after her 2 meltdowns in Doha this week(understand Caroline but no excuse for Agnieszka as she lead 6-2,4-0 and served for the match twice in set 2 at 5-2 and 5-4)

allrounder
Oct 30th, 2009, 09:34 PM
I think she will :shrug: her serve definitely needs beefing up a bit to help her close out these sort of matches she's been losing easier and she needs to stop taking her foot off the pedal when she's in control of a match and hoping her opponents will hand it to her. The forehand needs a bit of work doing to it too as it often drops far too short or can produce a fair few errors. She also needs to control her temper and use it to fire herself up, not implode. If she improves these though she'l definitely be a slam contender in the future , she is only 20 afterall.

Denise4925
Oct 30th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Yes, in time she can. She has some growing to do.

Lucemferre
Oct 30th, 2009, 10:11 PM
What about her opponents starting to play her.. umm... their best game? :p

No sorry.She shouldve beaten Wozniacki 6-1 6-3. Radwanska 6-4 6-0. She is so much better than all the young players combined. But her head is a mess.

Daniela-Is-Mine
Oct 30th, 2009, 10:24 PM
The next Dani? :bigcry:
Why must I always fall for the chokers :o

Break My Rapture
Oct 30th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Definitely.

saul1333
Oct 30th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Yes :D

Pops Maellard
Oct 30th, 2009, 11:08 PM
No! She peaked in the first half of this year.

gc-spurs
Oct 30th, 2009, 11:29 PM
SHe has the ability to, but until she sorts her head no. In time.

bandabou
Oct 30th, 2009, 11:29 PM
She's still kinda young..but at some time you HAVE to show to you can close out matches. Serena had some lapses like this in her career but she already had shown she could pull out and close out matches. Vika hasn't done that yet.

Time will tell...but she's developing a disturbing pattern.

Dave.
Oct 31st, 2009, 12:21 AM
She's still kinda young..but at some time you HAVE to show to you can close out matches. Serena had some lapses like this in her career but she already had shown she could pull out and close out matches. Vika hasn't done that yet.

Time will tell...but she's developing a disturbing pattern.

Yes she has. She's won 3 finals this year, all without losing more than 4 games. At the slams, closed out Mauresmo in straights at the AO, lost 5 games in dethroning defending champ Ivanovic at the French, beat Petrova 6-3 in the 3rd at Wimbledon. Also defeated Safina 6-3 in the 3rd at Indian Wells and Kuznetsova 7-5 in the 3rd in Miami. What do you mean she can't close out matches? Sure she's lost some close ones too but that doesn't mean she can't do it. In fact she has the same no. of titles Serena had before she won her first slam.

Victoria does have some growing up to do and has got to learn to control her temper better, but even now she has kept her cool on a number of occasions when the pressure is on. It's all too easy to just remember the big chokes (today most of all) and forget that she has actually come good on big occasions too.

Pops Maellard
Oct 31st, 2009, 12:49 AM
Yes she has. She's won 3 finals this year, all without losing more than 4 games. At the slams, closed out Mauresmo in straights at the AO, lost 5 games in dethroning defending champ Ivanovic at the French, beat Petrova 6-3 in the 3rd at Wimbledon. Also defeated Safina 6-3 in the 3rd at Indian Wells and Kuznetsova 7-5 in the 3rd in Miami. What do you mean she can't close out matches? Sure she's lost some close ones too but that doesn't mean she can't do it. In fact she has the same no. of titles Serena had before she won her first slam.

Exactly. You really think she's gonna be able to defend all those points? Even without all the real top players coming back next year it would take an almighty effort, especially in Miami. TBH I just don't think she's ever gonna build up the sort of momentum it takes to win a slam. She had her best chance this year at the French Open I think and she blew it.

Besides, do you know how rare it is for someone who hasn't even made their first slam final before the age of 20 to win a slam? And Vika hasn't even made a semifinal. Her game is good but it's not that special that she'd be able to escape this general rule I don't think.

Mightymirza
Oct 31st, 2009, 12:56 AM
She just has to get that serve right! She has to have a serve to rely on to serve out tight matches :tape:

Wannabeknowitall
Oct 31st, 2009, 01:00 AM
To me Azarenka is Sharapova 2.0.
And like any line of items such as Windows 7, there are flaws.
Victoria doesn't have the mental fortitude as the original, I'm sad to say.

Wawrinka's ass.

Pops Maellard
Oct 31st, 2009, 01:05 AM

Wawrinka's ass.
Fair observation. Maria also has a much bigger serve, which I'm expecting to be much better next year than it was throughout this year. :p

Also, Maria was achieving more at 17 than Vika has even come close to achieving at the age of 20. I think that puts it into perspective as well. Either you have it or you don't.

miffedmax
Oct 31st, 2009, 01:16 AM
I like her. Fucking kiss of fucking death.

Look what happened to that chick with the bangs.

fufuqifuqishahah
Oct 31st, 2009, 01:37 AM
She has the potential to become a multi-GS winner but could also go into Vaidisova-dom. :shrug: who knows until we see

gc-spurs
Oct 31st, 2009, 04:16 AM

Wawrinka's ass.

2.0 has positive connotations I think. More of beta. Betas have a things wrong with them and are 'unproven'. This is my way of agreeing with you btw.

SOA_MC
Oct 31st, 2009, 04:22 AM
As Jankovic says anybody can get lucky for two weeks

Seriously I can see a Wimbledon in Vika's future for some unknown reason

SELVEN
Oct 31st, 2009, 04:25 AM
absolutely

Roookie
Oct 31st, 2009, 04:26 AM
I like her. Fucking kiss of fucking death.

Look what happened to that chick with the bangs.

She may have "passed her peak" already. :lol:

Machi
Oct 31st, 2009, 04:31 AM
Vika has the makings of a future GS champ. Mental toughness, check. Weapons, check. Aggressiveness, check.

Needs to grow up and control her emotions on court.

fish_wilson
Oct 31st, 2009, 05:11 AM
yes.

dabossK
Oct 31st, 2009, 05:57 AM
Oh i was the deciding vote! i voted yes!! once she gets older and more mature.

duhcity
Oct 31st, 2009, 06:50 AM
Mental Problem is hurdle Number 1.
Serve Problem is hurdle Number 2.

But a good draw can come from anywhere these days. A draw a la Ivanovic at the French, or Venus at Wimbledon in 08 comes to mind as draws I could see Azarenka going through

Julian.
Oct 31st, 2009, 06:51 AM
Since the majority of the WTA aren't any better either, I gonna say yes:shrug:

gc-spurs
Oct 31st, 2009, 07:08 AM
^good point

McPie
Oct 31st, 2009, 07:16 AM
might be, but after she tries to love her racket again :sobbing:

Cookie Power
Oct 31st, 2009, 01:43 PM
Of course she won't.

powerbackhand
Oct 31st, 2009, 01:57 PM
Mental Problem is hurdle Number 1.
Serve Problem is hurdle Number 2.

But a good draw can come from anywhere these days. A draw a la Ivanovic at the French, or Venus at Wimbledon in 08 comes to mind as draws I could see Azarenka going through

??? venus beat dementieva in the semifinal and serena in the final..how is that easy

anon57
Oct 31st, 2009, 02:28 PM
She can match most of the players in her age group in terms of play but she really needs to get her emotions under control is she's to take a next hurdle and start competing for GS titles imo.

Langers
Oct 31st, 2009, 02:42 PM
Extremely talented, easily enough talent to win a Grand Slam.

Will she? She should, but she's an unpredictable headcase. So it could be some time. I think she'll eventually get one, but I had her pencilled into winning one soon, doubt that will happen.

freeyourstyle
Oct 31st, 2009, 02:54 PM
of course she can ... she's only 20 years young ... with a good coach and all of that she can do it
she plays really well, she can bring her nerves under control some day ..

Beat
Oct 31st, 2009, 03:16 PM
No sorry.She shouldve beaten Wozniacki 6-1 6-3. Radwanska 6-4 6-0. She is so much better than all the young players combined. .

*should* doesn't win you slams.

SoClose
Oct 31st, 2009, 08:31 PM
n000000000000000000000oooooooooooooooooooo