PDA

View Full Version : Doha RR: [7] V.Williams d. [3]Kuznetsova 6-2, 6-7(3), 6-4

Inger67
Oct 29th, 2009, 09:52 PM
At deuce in final game, heard Serena say "Left Side". Venus then hit her next 6 of 7 shots to Svetlana's FH and sure enough forced two UE :)

GOAT Venus. Still has a chance to qualify! Please SVETA beat LENA!

youizahoe
Oct 29th, 2009, 09:52 PM
:)

CrossCourt~Rally
Oct 29th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Nice fight Vee :yeah:

Sveta :hug:

champion88
:woohoo: Finally gets a 3-set win under her belt!

Put £10 on earlier for Ree and Vee to both win while Ree was at 2.50 and Vee at 2.10 so a nice win for me ;)

MBM
ugly ugly match. but a win is a win and that's what counts here

youizahoe
1 match remaining for qualifying, go svetlana !

jefrilibra
Finally a 3-set win for Venus!!!

Now Pray!!!:)

Sund7101
Yeah Venus!

Vanity Bonfire
I hate everything about this fucking tournament. Can God not let Sveta win just one measly match? Maybe make a semi?

Congrats Venus anyway - though I kinda hate you now.

RenaSlam.
Great win, Venus!

Now GO SVETA!

Golovinjured.
At deuce in final game, heard Serena say "Left Side". Venus then hit her next 6 of 7 shots to Svetlana's FH and sure enough forced two UE :)

GOAT Venus. Still has a chance to qualify! Please SVETA beat LENA!

So, Serena won it for her? :worship:

crewman31
Venus had me stressed out

MBM
sveta! win easily please :yeah:

Shawn
Oct 29th, 2009, 09:54 PM
FINALLY!!! I was sick her Venus winning 1st sets only to lose the next 2. She should have beaten Elena and Serena. Now Kutzy needs to beat Dementieva in 3 one side sets.

Feyd
Svetlana is destined to be the eternal punchbag of YEC.

ElusiveChanteuse
Grats Vee. :)
Sveta is the worst multiple slam winner ever to appear in YEC.:clap2:

Inger67
So, Serena won it for her? :worship:

Haha if you want to look at it that way, then I guess so. But IDC as long as Vee is credited for the win :) Uh I love you Venus!

Galsen
Oct 29th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Sveta will win tomorrow :) :)

Dodoboy.
:haha: She won a match :speakles:

Now i am confused, she can still qualify :scratch::scratch: Explain please!

Well done Vee, i'm sorry i overreacted during the second set :awww: But it's your fault! I didn't watch the third, because you disgusted me but great to see she got it done! Can't wait for Sexysova to post the MP :D

Inger67
FINALLY!!! I was sick her Venus winning 1st sets only to lose the next 2. She should have beaten Elena and Serena. Now Kutzy needs to beat Dementieva in 3 one side sets.

Why 3 one sided sets? Can't Sveta just beat Lena in either 2 or 3 and Vee will still qualify?!

VishaalMaria
Oct 29th, 2009, 09:56 PM
You dont know how much this means to me...a win...a 3 set win...against a tough opponent...:D :D :D Finally some good news for Venus' fans.

s_j
Oct 29th, 2009, 09:56 PM
If my calculations serve me correctly, if Svetlana wins tomorrow (regardless 2 or 3 sets), Venus and Serena will make semis. If Elena wins, then obviously she and Serena will progress...

Poor Svetlana.

Vanity Bonfire
Oct 29th, 2009, 09:57 PM
:hysteric:

Why, God? Why? Why? Why? What the fuck has Sveta done to you, huh?

TheBoiledEgg
Sveta should pull out for tomorrow

mental meltdown at 4-4 :mad:

Michael!
Finally a win for Venus!:)
She got a bit better from match to match in Doha, but almost chocked it away again!
But this time she was able to hold serve at least at *5-4 in the end, Svetlana was the weaker player the whole match, with some terrible UE´s....Venus played pretty good points, as I said, but then, some terrible errors again!

But I am 100% sure that, if Venus qualifies for the SF, she will reach the final!
Elena or Venus in SF, Svetlana already out!

Disappointing for Svetlana so, once again, she is out after RR! :hug:

VishaalMaria
If my calculations serve me correctly, if Svetlana wins tomorrow (regardless 2 or 3 sets), Venus and Serena will make semis. If Elena wins, then obviously she and Serena will progress...

Poor Svetlana.

Mine too.

I hope Svetlana got some confidence out of this match and wins tomorrow.

Uranium
Oct 29th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Sveta was rusty in the beginning, but got it together, it was a decent match with some good points. Sveta now take down Elena.

Shawn
Why 3 one sided sets? Can't Sveta just beat Lena in either 2 or 3 and Vee will still qualify?!
oh yeah! I forgot that Both Elena and Sveta lost in 2sets to Serena. GO SERENA!!! helping a sister out

Michael!

Poor Svetlana.

Yes, if Sveta wins 2-0 tomorrow, she will be 3-4 in sets, which is worse than the 4-5 of Venus!

The Daviator
Credit to Venus for taking this match so seriously, she was quite pumped at the end, highly unlikely she'll get through though, Lena will be extremely motivated to move on and Sveta will hardly make much effort now that she's out.

youizahoe
Oct 29th, 2009, 09:59 PM

Poor Svetlana.

Yes, has been explained in mine and godominique's thread for days.

Vanity Bonfire
Mine too.

I hope Svetlana got some confidence out of this match and wins tomorrow.

Oh yeah, I'm sure Sveta gained loads of confidence out of becoming a total shitbag in that final set.

darrinbaker00
:haha: She won a match :speakles:

Now i am confused, she can still qualify :scratch::scratch: Explain please!
If Kuznetsova beats Dementieva tomorrow, Venus will qualify based on number of sets won.

GracefulVenus
Venus has been playing great tennis througout this tournament. Just needs to keep the mental intensity up througout the matches. Nice win Venus :yeah: She looks great btw. :drool:

Njay16
I actually didn't think thiswas a bad match. Today's matches had some fantastic quality.

Venus :worship:

I think her and Sveta are the most interesting match up in the top ten. Their game styles just produce some awesome rallies.

kiwifan
So, "Venus is doomed?" :scratch:

Idiots. :devil:

:hehehe:

sammy01
Oct 29th, 2009, 10:00 PM
horrible match, they were both making such basic errors.

well done to venus for not going 0-3, but if elena dosen't beat sveta tomorrow with sveta in this form, then elena will be in total shame.

Just Do It
Can Venus qualify ?

youizahoe
29/10 Standings

SW 3-0 | 6-1 86%
VW 1-2 | 4-5 44%
ED 1-1 | 2-3 40%
SK 0-2 | 1-4 20%

SCENARIO 1.

Svetlana Kuznetsova d. Elena Dementieva in 3.

SW 3-0 | 6-1 86%
VW 1-2 | 4-5 44%
ED 1-2 | 3-5 38%
SK 1-2 | 3-5 38%

SCENARIO 2.

Svetlana Kuznetsova d. Elena Dementieva in 2.

SW 3-0 | 6-1 86%
VW 1-2 | 4-5 44%
SK 1-2 | 3-4 43%
ED 1-2 | 2-5 29%

:)

danieln1
All venus fans will be cheering for Sveta tomorrow... it´s impossible to predict anything

Stamp Paid
Oct 29th, 2009, 10:01 PM
So Sveta has to will herself to win an essentially dead rubber for her in order for Venus to qualify?
:devil:

Dodoboy.
Oct 29th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Oh please Sveta! :haha:

Elena has been playing so well though! Even today losing to Serena! Can't imagine her losing!

-VSR-
Venus proved me wrong, I stopped watching after the second set. I couldn't go through it again. I'm glad she got the win! But now it's all on Sveta vs. Dementieva.

s_j

It's not a competition. I haven't read your thread. Sorry.

darrinbaker00
Oct 29th, 2009, 10:03 PM
So Sveta has to will herself to win an essentially dead rubber for her in order for Venus to qualify?
She still has ranking points and $100,000 to gain if she wins.

Lulu.
Oct 29th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Don't see Sveta beating Elena.

VishaalMaria
Oct 29th, 2009, 10:04 PM

I hope so. I hope her passion for tennis and competitiveness not to lose comes out in full force tomorrow.

Nina.
Oct 29th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Venus finally wins a three set match :banana:
Well done!

Paneru
Oct 29th, 2009, 10:05 PM

Serena will be calling to motivate her good friend Sveta. :devil:

Inger67
Oct 29th, 2009, 10:05 PM

My thoughts exactly :)

young_gunner913
Oct 29th, 2009, 10:06 PM
:spit: venus trying to choke this one away. glad she didnt.

Shawn
Oct 29th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Svetlana has the edge in H2H record against Elena. I am rooting for her to win, and I actually think she will.

The Witch-king
Oct 29th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Oh yeah, I'm sure Sveta gained loads of confidence out of becoming a total shitbag in that final set.

Surely she would want to avoid going 0-3 for the SECOND YEAR IN A ROW !!! (did this happen in 06 too??)

Shawn
Oct 29th, 2009, 10:11 PM
the idea behind the round robin format is if you are going to lose, you better lose in 3sets

!Gio!
Oct 29th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Finally you got a win Venus!!!
Made me very happy!

Matt01
Oct 29th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Against Sveta "I'm useless at the YEC" Kuznetsova even Venus somehow managed to pull out a tight win. I don't even care anymore who will be the 2nd semi finalist on that group.
I just hope that in the final Serena will play the best player of the white group :)

ce
Oct 29th, 2009, 10:18 PM
:dance:
sveta please beat lena

Vanity Bonfire
Oct 29th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Surely she would want to avoid going 0-3 for the SECOND YEAR IN A ROW !!! (did this happen in 06 too??)

Third year in a row honey. And, you'd think she would, wouldn't you? But Sveta is a complex being. She probably just wants to fly back to Moscow now to figure out how she's going to fuck up her Australian Open campaign and let Wozniacki become world number 3.

VishaalMaria
Oct 29th, 2009, 10:25 PM

You seriously need to calm down and put things into perspective. As nice as it would be, players can't win every single tennis match, every single tournament.

I do like Svetlana and I'm just glad this year she was able to win a slam again, getting herself out of the "1 slam wonder" category.

And no one likes to lose, so I doubt Svetlana would go out there tomorrow and lose purposely so that Elena gets into the semis, I mean are they even close? Why would Svetlana do Elena any favours? There's money involved, ranking points, increasing her head to head against Elena. All these combined should be enough for Svetlana to try and win.

Vanity Bonfire
Oct 29th, 2009, 10:28 PM
You seriously need to calm down and put things into perspective. As nice as it would be, players can't win every single tennis match, every single tournament.

I do like Svetlana and I'm just glad this year she was able to win a slam again, getting herself out of the "1 slam wonder" category.

And no one likes to lose, so I doubt Svetlana would go out there tomorrow and lose purposely so that Elena gets into the semis, I mean are they even close? Why would Svetlana do Elena any favours? There's money involved, ranking points, increasing her head to head against Elena. All these combined should be enough for Svetlana to try and win.

I'm calm and putting things into perspective. You have to see that without the clay court season and her Beijing win, this season was even worse than last year's horror show for Sveta. She's practically spent the last five months on hideous form. Today was one of her better performances of the year and she still lost to a 50% Venus. I'm not saying Sveta's going to tank it against Lena, but she's obviously going to be the disheartened underdog now.

2Black
Oct 29th, 2009, 10:28 PM
I'm crying :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can't believe Venus won a 3-setter!!!

The Witch-king
Oct 29th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Third year in a row honey. And, you'd think she would, wouldn't you? But Sveta is a complex being. She probably just wants to fly back to Moscow now to figure out how she's going to fuck up her Australian Open campaign and let Wozniacki become world number 3.

you do realise she has DEMENTIEVA up next right?? she's not exactly known for her mental stability either.

Rex59
horrible match, they were both making such basic errors.

well done to venus for not going 0-3, but if elena dosen't beat sveta tomorrow with sveta in this form, then elena will be in total shame.

Agreed. :)

VishaalMaria
I'm calm and putting things into perspective. You have to see that without the clay court season and her Beijing win, this season was even worse than last year's horror show for Sveta. Today was one of her better performances of the year and she still lost to a 50% Venus. I'm not saying Sveta's going to tank it against Lena, but she's obviously going to be the disheartened underdog now.

You say "without the clay court season".

Svetlana's clay court season was much better than most players year because she won a slam. A slam is a huge effort especially on clay. 98% of players would trade their year for Svetlanas any day.

I just dont think you're putting a great deal weight on Svetlanas clay court season, it's been absolutely amazing.

And Svetlana still has a match tomorrow to play, its always good to end the season on a win.

Vanity Bonfire
Oct 29th, 2009, 10:33 PM
you do realise she has DEMENTIEVA up next right?? she's not exactly known for her mental stability either.

This is YECs Sveta. Things change.

Vanity Bonfire
Oct 29th, 2009, 10:36 PM
You say "without the clay court season".

Svetlana's clay court season was much better than most players year because she won a slam. A slam is a huge effort especially on clay. 98% of players would trade their year for Svetlanas any day.

I just dont think you're putting a great deal weight on Svetlanas clay court season, it's been absolutely amazing.

And Svetlana still has a match tomorrow to play, its always good to end the season on a win.

She played well at three tournaments on the clay. Really, really well. But, weigh this with tournaments like Tokyo and Toronto and Cincinnati and Indian Wells and Dubai, where she was dreadful. I love her and all, and would love to see her beat Lena D, but it will take a ton of belief for her to do it.

Vlover
Oct 29th, 2009, 10:36 PM
So, "Venus is doomed?" :scratch:

Idiots. :devil:

:hehehe:

That has been the Venus envy club mantra since '04.:lol:
If this is it for her season, at least it ended with a win that could serve as a morale booster, some $$$ and some points. Thankfully she played well enough last year to win, so:shrug:

The Witch-king
Oct 29th, 2009, 10:37 PM
This is YECs Sveta. Things change.

doesn't Elena also have a really bad YEC record too?

anyway do you want Sveta to win or not? or are you just trying not to get your hopes up?

Vanity Bonfire
Oct 29th, 2009, 10:38 PM
doesn't Elena also have a really bad YEC record too?

anyway do you want Sveta to win or not? or are you just trying not to get your hopes up?

This. I would love nothing more for Sveta to win, but I don't think she's playing well enough to beat Elena.

VishaalMaria
Oct 29th, 2009, 10:38 PM
She played well at three tournaments on the clay. Really, really well. But, weigh this with tournaments like Tokyo and Toronto and Cincinnati and Indian Wells and Dubai, where she was dreadful.

Roland Garross is greater than Tokyo, Toronto, Cincinnati, Indian Wells, Dubai combined.

Svetlanas RG win adds to her legacy. No one remembers who won all those relatively minor tournaments and no one really cares in the long run.

The Witch-king
Oct 29th, 2009, 10:39 PM
She played well at three tournaments on the clay. Really, really well. But, weigh this with tournaments like Tokyo and Toronto and Cincinnati and Indian Wells and Dubai, where she was dreadful. I love her and all, and would love to see her beat Lena D, but it will take a ton of belief for her to do it.

we've all been there!!! all us WTA fans. our players have ALL sucked this year. Just be glad Sveta got her slam, really, because there's no one to compare her to who has had that much of a better year (except Serena)

Sammm
Oct 29th, 2009, 10:40 PM
venus :woohoo:
Three three-set matches in three days. So there's no problem with Vee's fitness, which is reassuring.

Vanity Bonfire
Oct 29th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Roland Garross is greater than Tokyo, Toronto, Cincinnati, Indian Wells, Dubai combined.

Svetlanas RG win adds to her legacy. No one remembers who won all those relatively minor tournaments and no one really cares in the long run.

Fine. In twenty years, that will be great. But Sveta still has at least another five years to go in her career, and she only looks consistently strong on the clay.

Again, I love Sveta, but a good off-season training is needed again.

Feyd
Oct 29th, 2009, 10:41 PM
This. I would love nothing more for Sveta to win, but I don't think she's playing well enough to beat Elena.

Elena is not playing any good either. She could have easily gone 0-2 with two straight set losses. And she is the TOP (The other punchbag of YEC).

new-york
Oct 29th, 2009, 10:41 PM

:lol:.

Burj
Oct 29th, 2009, 10:48 PM

From what I read in YOUR thread, you got it completely wrong - especially saying that the H2H of players in all their matches outside of the YEC would count :help: You didn't have a clue what you were talking about and made so many errors in there that people were confused. ha ha

Go Dominique's Excel thread was fantastic and explained it very well. Thank you Go Dominique :worship:

Well done Venus (even though you were coached by your sister).

Question to everyone on the board.

Why would Sveta want to beat her Russian compatriat just so Venus could win? Wouldn't she want her compatriat to win more than an American?

V-MAC
Oct 29th, 2009, 10:50 PM
wow, I'm so proud of Vee:hug::hearts: If this happens to be her last singles match of the season, at least she is going out on a high and with some much confidence restored:bounce:

Marshmallow
Oct 29th, 2009, 10:53 PM
http://www.gifsoup.com/view/46238/pattideath-s.gif

I can't type much ATM still ^ from the match. I'll gloat post tomorrow :lol:

And I though that match had some of the best tennis of the year. Drama and intensity. I think it is one of the best matches of year - not the best, but right up there. Best Venus has played in a LONG while, made Sveta look foolish at times... how about that aggressive angled sliced backhand to set up set point in the first set? The volleys...

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/46238/pattideath-s.gif

VishaalMaria
Oct 29th, 2009, 10:58 PM
From what I read in YOUR thread, you got it completely wrong - especially saying that the H2H of players in all their matches outside of the YEC would count :help: You didn't have a clue what you were talking about and made so many errors in there that people were confused. ha ha

Go Dominique's Excel thread was fantastic and explained it very well. Thank you Go Dominique :worship:

Why would Sveta want to beat her Russian compatriat just so Venus could win? Wouldn't she want her compatriat to win more than an American?

No. She'd want to win for herself more than anything.

At the end of the day, as a professional tennis player playing in such a major tournament she'd want to win because of her pride and because quite simply, like everyone else, she hates losing.

cn ireland
Oct 29th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Well done on getting the win Venus:yeah:!

Destiny
Oct 29th, 2009, 11:04 PM
uhm well give me high and lows vee

wat now ??

Nickk
Oct 29th, 2009, 11:12 PM

Sveta is one of the few players the sisters are friends with.

Moreover, Sveta and Elene are anything but (US Open/Moscow 04 drama comes to mind).
Plus, I think the Russians are highly competitive among each other. Call it envy, pride or simply the desire to be the best of the country, they wouldn't want to see their compatriots do better than themselves in my opinion.

Anyway, great job Venus, what a relief. I hope Sveta gets the win.

The Dawntreader
Oct 29th, 2009, 11:44 PM
Only saw the first set and early stages of the second, so my comments will be brief.

Venus actually played a very effective and purposeful first set. Her footwork looked sharp, and her returning was generally at a very high level, especially against Kuzy's ineffectual second serves. Serving big too, despite not a seamless array of serving. Still footfaults galore.

Nearly inevitably the standard of play dropped on Venus's part, and Kuznetsova started taking more decisive cuts off the forehand, and pinning Venus deep in the backhand corner. It was typical of all Venus's matches at this event basically. Kuznetsova did well to compete vigorously after being dismissed quite casually in the first set.

Glad to see Venus smiling after the match. She looked so miserable in Asia and against Dementieva, so it's a welcome relief to see her with a bit of spark behind the eyes. She still thinks she has a chance to qualify, and why not? All to play for still.

hankqq
Oct 29th, 2009, 11:51 PM
of course the match was up and down :shrug: what else do we expect from these 2? :lol: :p

glad Venus won't finish the year with 4 consecutive 3-set losses :tape: :yeah:

Sveta :hug: now beat Demented please :sobbing:

PLP
Oct 30th, 2009, 12:24 AM
Venus needs to play about 500 tiebreaks before next season.
:lol:

I am excited though, that she won the match and still has a chance at the semis...
Come on Vee!

Slutiana
Oct 30th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Guys, I really don't think Sveta will tank for Elena. :lol: There is A LOT of money and still points on the line. She's still playing for something. :lol: Lets hope that Lena cracks under the pressure. :p

Slutati
Oct 30th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Please tank your next match, Sveta. Thanks. :kiss:

youizahoe
Oct 30th, 2009, 12:42 AM

The H2H thing was the only thing I did wrong, and I corrected, other than that all my scenarios are right. You can ask godominique if you don't believe me.

serenafann
Oct 30th, 2009, 12:48 AM
Well done Venus.

Hardiansf
Oct 30th, 2009, 01:04 AM
:hysteric:

Why, God? Why? Why? Why? What the fuck has Sveta done to you, huh?
She was gifted by God her 2 slams, and more at the future :angel:

hotandspicey
Oct 30th, 2009, 01:07 AM
Venus had me stressed out

Me too. :lol: Pacing back and forth like a nut and yelling at the tv.:lol: Glad she pulled the win off. I would have been really pissed.

Vwilliamsfan1
Oct 30th, 2009, 01:24 AM
Nice fight venus!

V's a star
Oct 30th, 2009, 01:48 AM
YES venus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!thank u.
U made my day somewhat bareable

V's a star
Oct 30th, 2009, 02:15 AM

Poor Svetlana.

:speakles: OMG SVETA!!!!!!

:armed::armed::armed:LETS ROLL:armed::armed::armed:

VeeReeDavJCap81
Oct 30th, 2009, 03:05 AM
What a weird scenario for Vee to get to the SF. This wouldn't have been a problem had Venus just closed out her 1st two matches :weirdo:

Yonexforever
Oct 30th, 2009, 04:34 AM
Venus looks wonderful in the face.
Either her skin has cleared up or she is using different products!
BTW
Can she sue Yonex for copying her design?

DS.Fan.
Oct 30th, 2009, 06:39 AM
Congrats Vee:kiss: Good Luck!
Sorry for you Sveta!:sad:

Sexysova
Oct 30th, 2009, 07:07 AM
forgot to upload MP, it was really late :lol:

KkqFfDbyd3w

sweetpeas
Oct 30th, 2009, 07:44 AM
All right ,VENUS !

~Eclipsed~
Oct 30th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Thank god you got a win in the books, Vee!

Now please Sveta, help Vee out and beat Demen tomorrow! Please? Kthx. :D

FedererBulgaria
Oct 30th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Good for her

Svetame
Oct 30th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Oh God...this is the worst possible scenario! Either Sveta wins and Venus goes through, or Sveta loses and Elena goes through?! WHY GOD, WHY!?! Well I guess there's something good and bad in both cases....:(

vwfan
Oct 30th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Against Sveta "I'm useless at the YEC" Kuznetsova even Venus somehow managed to pull out a tight win. I don't even care anymore who will be the 2nd semi finalist on that group. I just hope that in the final Serena will play the best player of the white group :)sure you do. :lol::help:

Matt01
Oct 30th, 2009, 06:06 PM
sure you do. :lol::help:

And if I were you I would not care so much about me and instead care about Venus' crappy and useless game these days :p

vwfan
Oct 30th, 2009, 06:46 PM
And if I were you I would not care so much about me and instead care about Venus' crappy and useless game these days :pAh sweetie, I don't care so much about you. Nothing at all to worry about there!

On to the semis, Venus. Love it: crappy play and all. :lol:

Matt01
Oct 30th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Ah sweetie

:hug: