PDA

View Full Version : Why Williams vs Williams matches are always so boring?

cordec
Oct 28th, 2009, 10:11 PM
I mean it... Even Venus' sparing-partner fell asleep.. :zzz:

youizahoe
Oct 28th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Well that's because it's so formiliar, I had to say, this match was pretty boring and other matches were exciting. I guess it's also got to do with the errors. But it had more than 15 superb winners.

cellophane
Oct 28th, 2009, 10:15 PM
I zzzzzed through the whole match until the last few games when it finally picked up. The whole match should have been like the end.

jefrilibra
Oct 28th, 2009, 10:15 PM
If it's always so boring as you said, then why the hell did you watch it?

:lol:

cordec
Oct 28th, 2009, 10:22 PM
well, i still get a hope for a good and exciting match from "a real no. 1" and no.7...

is1531
Oct 28th, 2009, 10:28 PM
I did not watch the match because I knew it was boring many years ago. When they play each other I change the channel or shut down the TV.

cellophane
Oct 28th, 2009, 11:03 PM

Because he is a hopeless tennis fan?

Yorker
Oct 28th, 2009, 11:07 PM
if they could play a full match like a few of the amazing points they DID have, it would be thouroughly entertaining

LeonHart
Oct 28th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Because there's no rivalry, no drama, no intense moments. They're sisters...and it's going to be the same when the Radwanskas play each other, the Bondarenkos, etc etc.

Bijoux0021
Oct 28th, 2009, 11:12 PM

I've always wondered the same thing.

Feyd
Oct 28th, 2009, 11:14 PM

Sometimes sado-masochistic instincts are so irresistible.

Lucemferre
Oct 28th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Not more boring than Radwanska vs Radwanska. actually radwanska vs anyone :tape:

BuTtErFrEnA
Oct 28th, 2009, 11:26 PM
you could just search for all the threads on this same question lol

toxina90
Oct 29th, 2009, 01:07 AM
Because there's no rivalry, no drama, no intense moments. They're sisters...and it's going to be the same when the Radwanskas play each other, the Bondarenkos, etc etc.

:lol: Have you ever played a sibling?

LightWarrior
Oct 29th, 2009, 01:22 AM
It was going to 3 sets anyway as predicted. It's not set up but it's weird. One set apiece is fine. Venus has 2 sets behind her belt and still has a chance to qualify. I never take WS matches very seriously.

danieln1
Oct 29th, 2009, 01:26 AM
Only the end saved this boring match... i even felt asleep for the whole second set! :haha: :haha:

Arnian
Oct 29th, 2009, 01:29 AM
The end was good, but it was a little dry. I always feel so uncomfortable watching their matches.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Oct 29th, 2009, 02:45 AM
Nothing will top:

US Open '08
Wimbledon '08
Aus Open '03

RVD
Oct 29th, 2009, 02:52 AM
I mean it... Even Venus' sparing-partner fell asleep.. :zzz:I beg to differ.

It isn't "always" boring.

...But it is "often" boring. :o :lol:

And besides, their matches are better, IMHO, than most of the WTA's non-rivalries.

Mynarco
Oct 29th, 2009, 02:53 AM
but after serena screwing up her break lead in 3rd set, this match suddenly became SO interesting, I really thought venus had a chance to beat her lil sis :lol:

also, some of the both players were able to produce so many amazing winners. It's better than watching error-fest.

sammy01
Oct 29th, 2009, 05:02 AM
im not saying they 'fix' their matches outside of slams, but its kind of very obvious they are happy to swap sets then give it a go in the 3rd set.

it's like they go on court thinking subconciously 'i'll try for one of the 1st 2 sets, then go for it 3rd set'. i think slams are different they go all out to win them for the whole match, hence the last 4 slam matches have been straight sets and last 4 non slam have been 3 sets setters.

this has made the non slam matches amost unbearable to watch, as they envolve horribley sloppy play with neither of them gunning to win untill the 3rd set, normally deep in it. but it has created better slam matches that are generally hard fought and both are trying to win from the get go.

bandabou
Oct 29th, 2009, 07:32 AM
Hmmm..there were some pretty good rallies, specially from let's say 5-4 and onwards.

It was good to see Serena let it go at times, celebrating her good points. But indeed their slam matches are usually the more intense ones.

iWill
Oct 29th, 2009, 07:50 AM
im not saying they 'fix' their matches outside of slams, but its kind of very obvious they are happy to swap sets then give it a go in the 3rd set.

it's like they go on court thinking subconciously 'i'll try for one of the 1st 2 sets, then go for it 3rd set'. i think slams are different they go all out to win them for the whole match, hence the last 4 slam matches have been straight sets and last 4 non slam have been 3 sets setters.

this has made the non slam matches amost unbearable to watch, as they envolve horribley sloppy play with neither of them gunning to win untill the 3rd set, normally deep in it. but it has created better slam matches that are generally hard fought and both are trying to win from the get go.

Yeah I think they do have that in mind. Obviously they get up for the slams more so its competitive from start to finish. In the other tourneys its like they say, " ok i'll wait till the third and then I'll step it ALL the way up."

s_j
Oct 29th, 2009, 08:11 AM
It was nearly as boring as this year's Wimbledon final...but not quite :angel:

Just Do It
Oct 29th, 2009, 08:23 AM
I kinda agree, for some reason their matches are always boring to watch even though normally I enjoy their game.

olivero
Oct 29th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Maybe it's normal for the sisters matches. Radwanskas' match I've seen was just one ugly errorfest too.

Slutiana
Oct 29th, 2009, 09:18 AM
The first set was probably the best set of the year by far. :worship:

The Dawntreader
Oct 29th, 2009, 09:18 AM
It was nearly as boring as this year's Wimbledon final...but not quite :angel:

Easily best Slam final of the year:tape::lol:

Marionated
Oct 29th, 2009, 09:37 AM
It wasn't as bad as the Dubai semi or the Wimbledon final, not that that's saying much :tape: I didn't see the Miami semi.