PDA

View Full Version : Venus Williams Qualifies For Sf Yec!

youizahoe
Oct 28th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Final Standings

SW 3-0 | 6-1 86%
VW 1-2 | 4-5 44%
SK 1-2 | 3-4 43%
ED 1-2 | 2-5 29%

MBM
Oct 28th, 2009, 10:13 PM
long shot. but i hope it happens

Cakeisgood
Oct 28th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Sveta beating Lena D 2 sets to 0 is unlikely, but nice to see that Vee can still do it.

youizahoe
first numbers are the match standings, second are the sets with percentage after it.

cellophane
So i guess she needs to beat Sveta in 2 and for Lena D to lose to Sveta and Serena in 2.

Lucemferre
Russian match is last due to fear of fixing ;)

volta
Oct 28th, 2009, 10:15 PM
long shot. but i hope it happens

this

young_gunner913
Oct 28th, 2009, 10:15 PM
its not gonna happen. :lol: she has doubles so lets just be thankful.

dont get me wrong i would LOVE for her to reach the SF but i just dont think its gonna happen. :shrug:

davidmario
Oct 28th, 2009, 10:17 PM
YEAR END CHOKEFEST for V this time. Horrible to see her meltdown during matches like that:help:

sammy01
she doesnt deserve a semi spot on her play so far.

Miss Amor
Sveta doesn't need to beat elena 2-0. As long as she beats elena and Serena and Vee win their matches 2-0, Vee will be through. Quite a realistic chance imo.

youizahoe
Oct 28th, 2009, 10:18 PM
I just wanted to post this for Venus fans, to give them somewhat a little hope !

Vanity Bonfire
Oct 28th, 2009, 10:18 PM
I seriously want Sveta to make it.

MegaDethly
Oct 28th, 2009, 10:19 PM
I just wanted to post this for Venus fans, to give them somewhat a little hope !

Thanks Aneres *grabs more tissues*

spencercarlos
Oct 28th, 2009, 10:19 PM
So i guess she needs to beat Sveta in 2 and for Lena D to lose to Sveta and Serena in 2.
I expected Venus to win today (Serena handing it to her honestly).

But Serena beating Dementieva in two is highly unlikely. Dementieva has challenged Serena all year long and has beaten Serena easily this year when she has not been at all interested (Canada and Sydney), plus i doubt Serena would be playing 100% for her next match knowing she is in the semis...

It will be great to watch how this ends up.

delicatecutter
Oct 28th, 2009, 10:22 PM
I want Sveta to make the semis. :sobbing:

Noctis
Oct 28th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Its a long Shot
If Elena Beats Sveta or Serena Its Over
Serena Losing a Set its over.
Venus lose a Set
Sveta Beats Venus

davidmario
Oct 28th, 2009, 10:25 PM
...plus, venus will be in a wheelchair after today's match:sad:

youizahoe
Oct 28th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Its a long Shot
If Elena Beats Sveta or Serena Its Over
Serena Losing a Set its over.
Venus lose a Set
Sveta Beats Venus

It's not. I see serena and venus both beating their opponents in 2-0 just to make sure venus will qualify. Also a 3rd setter between dementieva and kuznetsova (in sveta's advantage) is certainly possible.

Michael!
Oct 28th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Does it matter at all if Elena wins a set against Serena or Svetlana?
She has to lose both matches to give Venus a chance, she is now 2-1 in sets, after losing 2 times 1-2 she would be 4-5 in sets, Venus after beating Svetlana 2-0, would be 4-4.....but still, not realistic :tape: :o

So there could be one more scenario, Elena losing one match 1-2 and the other 0-2, while Venus beats Svetlana 2-1, which would also mean that Venus would qualify :lol:

youizahoe
Oct 28th, 2009, 10:32 PM
I'm not gonna do all possible scenarios, Ok I'll add just one more :lol:

VeeReeDavJCap81
Oct 28th, 2009, 10:38 PM
I hope by some miracle she can :sad: why couldn't she have just served it out yesterday? Hold me :sad:

The Dawntreader
Oct 28th, 2009, 11:07 PM
It'd be the most hollow feeling qualifying having only won one match.

I can't see it happening anyways. I think Kuznetsova will beat Venus in 3. A bad match-up for Vee at the best of times.

youizahoe
Oct 28th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Added more scenarios. Venus can win 2-1 also, if serena and kuznetsova win 2-0 + 2-1 from Dementieva.

youizahoe
Oct 28th, 2009, 11:12 PM
It'd be the most hollow feeling qualifying having only won one match.

I can't see it happening anyways. I think Kuznetsova will beat Venus in 3. A bad match-up for Vee at the best of times.

I don't think Kuznetsova will win, Venus will beat her.

Noctis
Oct 28th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Basically She needs Serena and Sveta to beat Elena and She beats Sveta without dropping a set

youizahoe
Oct 28th, 2009, 11:19 PM
yep. or serena beats elena 2-0 and sveta and venus can drop a set :)

frenchie
Oct 28th, 2009, 11:21 PM
Venus needs to win her last match

and Elena needs to lose her last 2 matches

sets doesn't matter
Is that right?

The Dawntreader
Oct 28th, 2009, 11:21 PM

It's in the balance, but Kuznetsova is just playing better.

That's as simple an answer as i can muster.

youizahoe
Oct 28th, 2009, 11:23 PM
It's in the balance, but Kuznetsova is just playing better.

That's as simple an answer as i can muster.

She isn't playing better, if venus plays like she did today, sveta is out 64 64.
Plus Sveta can't perform at the yec, same goes for Elena.

Michael!
Oct 28th, 2009, 11:24 PM

I am not sure about that, Venus doesnt like the game of Svetlana that much, and will be tired as hell,while Sveta had a day off...and even if she would win, if Serena plays like today, Elena has good chances to beat her..:tape:

But we still can hope, good that both Russians are really :cuckoo: sometimes :tape:
Wouldnt be the first time that a player with 1-2 (W/L) will survive the RR :lol:

youizahoe
Oct 28th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Venus needs to win her last match

and Elena needs to lose her last 2 matches

sets doesn't matter
Is that right?

Sets do matter at that point.

If Venus wants to stay ahead, she surely needs to win in 2 sets. Then it doesn't matter whether dementieva loses 2-0 or 2-1.

OR

If Venus wants to stay ahead, she surely needs to win in 3 sets. Then Dementieva needs to lose 2-0 and 2-1.

-

If it comes to a tie in sets (4-5 both). I don't know if they'll base on H2H, games w/l, TB, and so on. So I don't dare to say with certainty. You need to ask TBE what the next measuring is after sets.

youizahoe
Oct 28th, 2009, 11:27 PM
I am not sure about that, Venus doesnt like the game of Svetlana that much, and will be tired as hell,while Sveta had a day off...and even if she would win, if Serena plays like today, Elena has good chances to beat her..:tape:

But we still can hope, good that both Russians are really :cuckoo: sometimes :tape:
Wouldnt be the first time that a player with 1-2 (W/L) will survive the RR :lol:

Venus will come out firing, she knows she could be out, regardless if she wins or not. So that will set her free and will make her to find her game. And she has improved her game since the previous match, so I'm not in doubt that she'll win.

darrinbaker00
Oct 28th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Sets do matter at that point.

If Venus wants to stay ahead, she surely needs to win in 2 sets. Then it doesn't matter whether dementieva loses 2-0 or 2-1.

OR

If Venus wants to stay ahead, she surely needs to win in 3 sets. Then Dementieva needs to lose 2-0 and 2-1.

-

If it comes to a tie in sets (4-5 both). I don't know if they'll base on H2H, games w/l, TB, and so on. So I don't dare to say with certainty. You need to ask TBE what the next measuring is after sets.
If it's a two-way tie, head-to-head decides it. If it's a three-way tie, it's sets won, then games won.

youizahoe
Oct 28th, 2009, 11:37 PM
If it's a two-way tie, head-to-head decides it. If it's a three way tie, it's sets won, then games won.

Okay thanks :D

winchester
Oct 28th, 2009, 11:39 PM
Don't bother with all these scenarios, she won't qualify.

youizahoe
Oct 28th, 2009, 11:43 PM
She will qualify. Scenario 7 is highly do-able.

Michael!
Oct 28th, 2009, 11:47 PM
How was it again, Glenn?
I am not gonna do all possible scenarios? :devil: :lol:

AnnaK_4ever
Oct 28th, 2009, 11:49 PM
Venus hasn't beaten Sveta on hardcourts since Australian Open 2003 when Venus was #2 and Sveta was #45.

youizahoe
Oct 28th, 2009, 11:50 PM
How was it again, Glenn?
I am not gonna do all possible scenarios? :devil: :lol:

I think I did them all, and I'm not gonna start counting games, cause them i'll go crazy :lol:

Buitenzorg
Oct 28th, 2009, 11:54 PM
very long shot though :p :eek:

Buitenzorg
Oct 28th, 2009, 11:54 PM
most likely Serena and Elena are in the semi I reckon

MistyGrey
Oct 28th, 2009, 11:57 PM
I thought the head to head meant just the round robin match between the two tied players, which in this case Elena won.

kundalini
Oct 28th, 2009, 11:58 PM
She will qualify. Scenario 7 is highly do-able.

One slight problem: scenario 7 results in Lena progressing to the semis because she won the head to head in this tournament. If both are 4-5 while Sveta is 3-5 then Lena qualifies.

Olórin
Oct 28th, 2009, 11:59 PM
So basically Venus fucked herself over when she lost to Elena. Yeah I got that :lol:

Yorker
Oct 29th, 2009, 12:00 AM
idk, i can't see serena going full out knowing she's qualified. venus also has a losing h2h against sveta, the stats aren't on her side but we'll see, anything can happen.

youizahoe
Oct 29th, 2009, 12:00 AM
One slight problem: scenario 7 results in Lena progressing to the semis because she won the head to head in this tournament. If both are 4-5 while Sveta is 3-5 then Lena qualifies.

Isn't it head to head career and not about the tournament. I'm not sure, everyone says career h2h which is 9-3 for venus.

Galsen
Oct 29th, 2009, 12:02 AM
Serena HAS TO BEAT ELENA in two and Steva needs to beat Elena 2 or 3 it doesn't matter. and even if Venus wins in 3 it should be enough

Yorker
Oct 29th, 2009, 12:06 AM
Isn't it head to head career and not about the tournament. I'm not sure, everyone says career h2h which is 9-3 for venus.

it's h2h for the tourney, liffetime h2h doesn't matter.

youizahoe
Oct 29th, 2009, 12:10 AM
You absolutely sure?

Yorker
Oct 29th, 2009, 12:11 AM
no not absolutely but lifetime h2h does not make sense, i would say 90% sure it's just the tourney h2h. honestly i'm pretty confident it's just the tourney h2h

youizahoe
Oct 29th, 2009, 12:14 AM
well i saw once they took lifetime head to head, when serena lost in 3 sets to davenport, there was some sort of tie in that group and the h2h was 7-5 :shrug:

maddogz48
Oct 29th, 2009, 12:14 AM
It is supposed to be the tournament H2H. Since Dementi beat Venus then Dementi should advance to the semifinals.

VishaalMaria
Oct 29th, 2009, 12:16 AM
So basically, if Venus wins against Svetlana in 2 sets tomorrow and Elena loses against Serena and Kuznetsova [regardless of the sets she wins/loses], Venus is through to the semis?

Yorker
Oct 29th, 2009, 12:17 AM
well i saw once they took lifetime head to head, when serena lost in 3 sets to davenport, there was some sort of tie in that group and the h2h was 7-5 :shrug:

hmm idk, see to me lifetime h2h does not seem fair, if player a beats player b in the tournament but can't advance do to past matches, would be a little weird and unfair in my mind, so i can't see them doing lifetime h2h. if they did it in the past, i definitely think that would be flawed.

youizahoe
Oct 29th, 2009, 12:31 AM
It is supposed to be the tournament H2H. Since Dementi beat Venus then Dementi should advance to the semifinals.

I don't think so either. In 2005 it was surely H2H lifetime.

vw.
Oct 29th, 2009, 12:31 AM
the H2H scenario is definitely H2H at the event. so scenario 7 won't be good.

however... just do your best against Sveta tomorrow (please win), and hope that Sveta can beat Elena on Friday. Hopefully Serena will help out too. :angel:

youizahoe
Oct 29th, 2009, 12:32 AM
I asked the boiled egg, when he responds I'll adjust.

GoDominique
Oct 29th, 2009, 12:36 AM
Lifetime h2h :lol::weirdo::lol::weirdo::lol::weirdo::weirdo:

youizahoe
Oct 29th, 2009, 12:37 AM
which h2h is it, if u know for sure, say it :p

Dodoboy.
Oct 29th, 2009, 12:37 AM
Glenn you're the best :kiss:

Kick ass TOMORROW VEE OR GO HOME!

youizahoe
Oct 29th, 2009, 12:44 AM
YEC 2004 Standings :

miscounted, my bad ! :)

darrinbaker00
Oct 29th, 2009, 12:46 AM
which h2h is it, if u know for sure, say it :p
Tournament head-to-head. I refuse to believe that you were serious with that question, though. Why would you even think they would use career head-to-head as a tiebreaker?

Galsen
Oct 29th, 2009, 12:47 AM
In 2004 Serena was picked over davenport, standings were:

Serena 2-1 4-3
Davenport 2-1 4-3

Serena lost to Davenport in the tourney, so the tournament H2H would have resulted in Davenport's favor, but it did not, Serena was picked, so it must have been lifetime H2H.

thank you thank you thank you
so if all the matches tomorrow goes three, and Kuzzie wins in 3 against Lena , Venus would be qualify :eek::)

youizahoe
Oct 29th, 2009, 12:49 AM
Tournament head-to-head. I refuse to believe that you were serious with that question, though. Why would you even think they would use career head-to-head as a tiebreaker?

It was so in 2004. Do some research. You don't know it either.

darrinbaker00
Oct 29th, 2009, 12:50 AM
YEC 2004 Standings :

Tied Serena / Lindsay
both at 2-1 4-3

Serena lost to Davenport that tournament, and Serena was picked over Davenport. Serena Won more games, but lost a lot more than Davenport. So it was H2H, but not of the tournament. The current lifetime H2H was 10-4 and H2H in 2004 1-0 in favor of Serena.
Actually, there was a three-way tie in that group between Serena, Davenport and Anastasia Myskina. Myskina and Serena advanced based on number of sets won.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_WTA_Tour_Championships#Group_stage

sammy01
Oct 29th, 2009, 12:51 AM

the word you're looking for is desperate.

here scenario #8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lena falls down a flight of stairs and has to play in a wheelchair and on a drip :help:

darrinbaker00
Oct 29th, 2009, 12:51 AM
Please see my previous post. ;)

VishaalMaria
Oct 29th, 2009, 12:53 AM
the word you're looking for is desperate.

here scenario #8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lena falls down a flight of stairs and has to play in a wheelchair and on a drip :help:

What's the issue?

Venus could still qualify. Glen was obviously looking for some reassurance.

GoDominique
Oct 29th, 2009, 12:55 AM
No it wasn't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_WT..._Championships (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_WTA_Tour_Championships)

What exactly do you think makes you qualified to comment on these things? You didn't have a clue last year and you don't have one now.

youizahoe
Oct 29th, 2009, 12:56 AM
Ok thanks, scenario 7 is not possible. If you just would have said it was surely not lifetime, than this debate wasn't necessary, so who's the moron GoDominique.

sammy01
Oct 29th, 2009, 12:59 AM
What's the issue?

Venus could still qualify. Glen was obviously looking for some reassurance.

at this moment in time EVERY player from both groups can still qualify (except safina for obvious reasons).

add to that glenns stupid lifetime H2H shit just makes this thread look sad.

youizahoe
Oct 29th, 2009, 01:02 AM
4. Final Standings of Round Robin Competition

a. Final Standings

The final standings of each group shall be determined by the first of the following methods that apply:

i. Greatest number of wins;

ii. Greatest number of matches played; or

iii. Head-to-head results if only two (2) players are tied, or if three

3) players are tied then:

(a) If three (3) players each have one (1) win, a player having played less than all three (3) matches is automatically eliminated and the player advancing to the single elimination competition is the winner of the match-up of the two (2) players tied with 1-2 records; or

(b) Highest percentage of sets won; or

(c) Highest percentage of games won.

b. Ties

If the above tie-breaking methods produce one (1) superior player (1st place) or one (1) inferior player (3rd place), and the two (2) remaining players are tied, the tie between those two (2) players shall be broken by head-to-head record. If a tie still exists after applying the above tie-breaking methods, then the WTA, in consultation with the Tournament, shall make the final determination.

youizahoe
Oct 29th, 2009, 01:05 AM
at this moment in time EVERY player from both groups can still qualify (except safina for obvious reasons).

add to that glenns stupid lifetime H2H shit just makes this thread look sad.

My stupid comment, made my thread sad? Then get the fuck out.

youizahoe
Oct 29th, 2009, 01:07 AM
Actually, there was a three-way tie in that group between Serena, Davenport and Anastasia Myskina. Myskina and Serena advanced based on number of sets won.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_WTA_Tour_Championships#Group_stage

Ok I miscounted, thanks for pointing out !

VishaalMaria
Oct 29th, 2009, 01:11 AM
4. Final Standings of Round Robin Competition

a. Final Standings

The final standings of each group shall be determined by the first of the following methods that apply:

i. Greatest number of wins;

ii. Greatest number of matches played; or

iii. Head-to-head results if only two (2) players are tied, or if three

3) players are tied then:

(a) If three (3) players each have one (1) win, a player having played less than all three (3) matches is automatically eliminated and the player advancing to the single elimination competition is the winner of the match-up of the two (2) players tied with 1-2 records; or

(b) Highest percentage of sets won; or

(c) Highest percentage of games won.

b. Ties

If the above tie-breaking methods produce one (1) superior player (1st place) or one (1) inferior player (3rd place), and the two (2) remaining players are tied, the tie between those two (2) players shall be broken by head-to-head record. If a tie still exists after applying the above tie-breaking methods, then the WTA, in consultation with the Tournament, shall make the final determination.

Right, I'm confused.

If Venus, Svetlana and Elena end up all being tied at 1-2 then isn't it automatically Elena that goes through?

charmedRic
Oct 29th, 2009, 01:12 AM

thanks

youizahoe
Oct 29th, 2009, 01:22 AM
Point a : skipped (all have played 3 matches and have one win, so nobody falls out)
Point b : the one with the lowest percentage in sets won, falls out.
Point c : the one with the highest percentage of games won, will go through.

???

VishaalMaria
Oct 29th, 2009, 01:24 AM
Point a : skipped (all have played 3 matches and have one win, so nobody falls out)
Point b : the one with the lowest percentage in sets won, falls out.
Point c : the one with the highest percentage of games won, will go through.

???

Is that right?

I just didnt understand the English in the rules. :lol:

VishaalMaria
Oct 29th, 2009, 01:25 AM
a) If three (3) players each have one (1) win, a player having played less than all three (3) matches is automatically eliminated and the player advancing to the single elimination competition is the winner of the match-up of the two (2) players tied with 1-2 records; or

What does that mean in context? I thought because Elena and Venus would have 1 win each that Elena would go through?

youizahoe
Oct 29th, 2009, 01:27 AM
a) If three (3) players each have one (1) win, a player having played less than all three (3) matches is automatically eliminated and the player advancing to the single elimination competition is the winner of the match-up of the two (2) players tied with 1-2 records; or

What does that mean in context? I thought because Elena and Venus would have 1 win each that Elena would go through?

It's easy to understand. There are 3 players tied with 1 win. The one that didn't play 3 matches (as they all need to), will be eliminated. Then of the 2 remaining, the h2h of the pool will decide.

In this case that wouldn't be possible, since they will all play their 3 matches (no alternative will enter in this group, unless someone breaks their ankle or something)

VishaalMaria
Oct 29th, 2009, 01:30 AM
Oh, so scenario 3A doesnt take place as all would have played three matches, so it goes straight to scenario 3B?

Are u sure about that?

youizahoe
Oct 29th, 2009, 01:32 AM
I think so, since in the document it was alligned at the same height. If it wasn't then it would mean you need to follow step a. But since it's not, you can skip it.

DragonFlame
Oct 29th, 2009, 01:43 AM
Oh, so scenario 3A doesnt take place as all would have played three matches, so it goes straight to scenario 3B?

Are u sure about that?

Yes, this is how it goes.

If serena,elena,svetlana all go 2-1. first sets, then games will decide.

If venus,elena,svetlana all go 2-1. first sets, then games will decide.

No h2h stuff unless we only have 2 people tied.

Maria Rosa
Oct 29th, 2009, 02:07 AM
wouldnt it be nice you all Vee dreamers put you money where your mouth is? :)

Venus is gone of the YEC... her chances are slim to zero.

Venus is not even playing well. Dementieva deserves a chance much more.

DimaDinosaur
Oct 29th, 2009, 02:14 AM
if she can't beat dementieva, she doesn't deserve to make the semis, what a fool she is last night

youizahoe
Oct 29th, 2009, 02:25 AM
wouldnt it be nice you all Vee dreamers put you money where your mouth is? :)

Venus is gone of the YEC... her chances are slim to zero.

Venus is not even playing well. Dementieva deserves a chance much more.

Dementieva deserves it more? Why? She has played 1 match, she can still lose the next two and crash out.

Buitenzorg
Oct 29th, 2009, 02:49 AM
Dementieva deserves it more? Why? She has played 1 match, she can still lose the next two and crash out.

she also can still WIN the next two matches and march to the semis :lick::drool:

SV_Fan
Oct 29th, 2009, 04:05 AM
vee :sobbing:

I hope she does it

She has come so close in every match

youizahoe
Oct 29th, 2009, 08:29 PM
updated the scenarios. only 4 remain, after serena beating dementieva.

danieln1
Oct 29th, 2009, 09:34 PM
It all depends on Sveta: If she wants Elena to qualify, she´ll lose, if she want Venus to qualify, she´ll win, simple as that!

Dodoboy.
Oct 29th, 2009, 11:37 PM
What's the maths for the White Group? Much more complicated

youizahoe
Oct 29th, 2009, 11:41 PM
What's the maths for the White Group? Much more complicated

It's easier. Caro qualifies anyway. If Caro defeats JJ, Viktoria joins Caro.

LightWarrior
Oct 29th, 2009, 11:43 PM
So why would Kuzny even try to beat Dementieva ? She's out of the competition. Why would she fight just so that Venus is into the semis ? It makes no sense.

frenchie
Oct 29th, 2009, 11:44 PM
One of the only times I'll root for Sveta

Michael!
Oct 29th, 2009, 11:46 PM
It's easier. Caro qualifies anyway. If Caro defeats JJ, Viktoria joins Caro.

Wozniacki isnt qualified yet :unsure:
Azarenka def. Radwanska 2-0
Jankovic def. Wozniacki 2-0

In this case, Wozniacki would be out!

Feyd
Oct 29th, 2009, 11:49 PM
So why would Kuzny even try to beat Dementieva ? She's out of the competition. Why would she fight just so that Venus is into the semis ? It makes no sense.

Money and points. And not to go 0-3 three times in a row. :tape:

VishaalMaria
Oct 29th, 2009, 11:50 PM

Maybe it isnt about Venus to Svetlana but more about proud? Its a professional sport, Svetlanas going to try and win because she hates losing. Plain and simple.

LightWarrior
Oct 29th, 2009, 11:52 PM
Are Kuzny and Dementieva very good friends ?

youizahoe
Oct 29th, 2009, 11:53 PM
Wozniacki isnt qualified yet :unsure:
Azarenka def. Radwanska 2-0
Jankovic def. Wozniacki 2-0

In this case, Wozniacki would be out!

Current standings are :

CW : 2-0 | 4-2
VA : 1-1 | 3-2
JJ : 1-1 | 2-2

Azarenka d. Radwanska 2-0

VA : 2-1 | 5-2

Jelena Jankovic d. Caroline Wozniacki 2-0

CW : 2-1 | 4-4
VA : 2-1 | 5-2
JJ : 2-1 | 4-2

Yes, I know, needed to adjust :)

Dodoboy.
Oct 29th, 2009, 11:53 PM
So if Caro loses even in 3, she is out :crying2:

youizahoe
Oct 29th, 2009, 11:55 PM
It all depends on wozniacki. Wozniacki winning will send her and Azarenka through. But it's not 100% that Wozniacki will even play, and that will cause a dilemma for the yec :lol:

Michael!
Oct 29th, 2009, 11:56 PM
I just hope that Sveta beats Elena, then it would be even great if Caroline would win her group....for obvious reasons :angel:

Vlover
Oct 30th, 2009, 12:01 AM
The title is funny.:lol: Seriously though as I said for Venus, a win is a moral booster plus extra points and $$$ therefore Kutzy should be thinking of herself not Venus.;)

youizahoe
Oct 30th, 2009, 12:02 AM
So if Caro loses even in 3, she is out :crying2:

Radwanska d. Azarenka 2-0

VA : 1-2 | 3-4

Jankovic d. Wozniacki 2-1

CW : 2-1 | 5-4 => Qualified
VA : 1-2 | 3-4
JJ : 2-1 | 4-3 => Qualified

=> If Azarenka loses, and Jankovic then beats Wozniacki, Wozniacki still can go through, despite the defeat being in 2 or 3 sets.

youizahoe
Oct 30th, 2009, 12:07 AM
To conclude for the white group:

If Wozniacki wants to go through, she needs to win her match OR Radwanska needs to beat Azarenka.

If Azarenka wants to go through, she needs to win her match in 2 sets.

If Jankovic wants to go through, she needs to win her match in 2 sets OR Radwanska needs to lose but will need to win 1 set from Wozniacki.

scarpet1
Oct 30th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Maybe not this year but it might be time for Venus to make another run at number One.

tennisIlove09
Oct 30th, 2009, 12:45 AM
YEAR END CHOKEFEST for V this time. Horrible to see her meltdown during matches like that:help:
Absolutely. She should be 3-0

serenafan08
Oct 30th, 2009, 12:51 AM
Absolutely. She should be 3-0

Certainly had chances to be. Her mind is tired; she needs a break.

In The Zone
Oct 30th, 2009, 01:37 AM
All Sveta has to do is win, whether it be 2-1 or 2-0, Venus will move on.

In The Zone
Oct 30th, 2009, 01:38 AM
To conclude for the white group:

If Wozniacki wants to go through, she needs to win her match OR Radwanska needs to beat Azarenka.

If Azarenka wants to go through, she needs to win her match in 2 sets.

If Jankovic wants to go through, she needs to win her match in 2 sets OR Radwanska needs to lose but will need to win 1 set from Wozniacki.

Doesn't it go by # of sets won?

Azarenka just has to win -- not just in 2.

youizahoe
Oct 30th, 2009, 01:40 AM
Doesn't it go by # of sets won?

Azarenka just has to win -- not just in 2.

percentage of sets won :) so sets won devided by total sets (won+lost).

Jorn
Oct 30th, 2009, 05:54 PM
I don't get in, they use only the 3 players sets Caro/JJ and Vika?

Jorn
Oct 30th, 2009, 05:57 PM
SCENARIO 2.

Svetlana Kuznetsova d. Elena Dementieva in 2.

SW 3-0 | 6-1 86%
VW 1-2 | 4-5 44%
SK 1-2 | 3-4 43%
ED 1-2 | 2-5 29%

So Venus in with just 1% if Sveta wins?

youizahoe
Oct 30th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Yes, because the alternatives drop out cause they didn't play 3 matches.

joyforall
Oct 30th, 2009, 05:58 PM
THANKS SVETA!!!

Go Vee!!! defend your title!!

MBM
Oct 30th, 2009, 05:58 PM
:bounce:

Inger67
Oct 30th, 2009, 05:59 PM
OMG I LOVE YOU SVETA! :) Vee will now make another HUGE final; hopefully :angel:

olympus28
Venus totally deserved it !

tae04
Thanks Sveta!

-VSR-
Oct 30th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Venus is one lucky dog, maybe now the pressure will be off her and she can play her 'A' game.

youizahoe
Oct 30th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Yes by 1%.

4-5 = 4/9 = 44.4%
3-4 = 3/7 = 42.8%

roelc
Oct 30th, 2009, 06:01 PM
woooaaa, so great :D
thanks sveta!!!!

now kick some danish/serbian/belarussian ass

strato
Oct 30th, 2009, 06:02 PM
I'd rather say "thanks Dementieva" for playing such a poor match.

Uranium
Oct 30th, 2009, 06:03 PM
That'd be such a joke if she did win it all, she'd have the worst record to have won the tournament.:haha: But she did what I wanted and that is not go 0-3 and made SFs:banana:

vml
Oct 30th, 2009, 06:03 PM
OK, I won't try to understand, mathematics give me headaches but whatever, Venus is qualified along with her sister which, I assume, they must be really happy about. I'd like to see either Vika or Wozniacki get through as long as JJ doesn't make it ! Je croise les doigts... lol
EDIT : JJ did it, grrrr. She so doesn't deserve it whatever it is what is and it's basically all it is.

youizahoe
Oct 30th, 2009, 06:06 PM
JJ is already qualified. It's not between Caroline and Viktoria. Viktoria has it in her hands, if she wins in 2 or 3, she qualifies, if she loses, Caroline will go through.

lizchris
Oct 30th, 2009, 06:07 PM
That'd be such a joke if she did win it all, she'd have the worst record to have won the tournament.:haha: But she did what I wanted and that is not go 0-3 and made SFs:banana:

I don't see how since she played by the rules and it isn't like she lost to Serena and Elena in straight sets (plus she had a match point against Serena).

DragonFlame
Oct 30th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Ugh a williamsfinal coming up. :o Sentimentally this outcome means the tournament is over for me but all credit to venus fighting her way through.

But it was expected i guess... Elena was not playing well at all this week, maybe this is better... Svetlana did very well in still giving her all in this match.

Venus gets the lucky ending, but she deserved it after closing out svetlana yesterday. She fought her way through. :) Very well done to all players in this group, proud of them. :bounce:

CrossCourt~Rally
Congrats VEE! :bounce:

strato
Or "thanks Serena" for letting her one set and many games (?)

youizahoe
Oct 30th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Ugh a williamsfinal coming up. :o Sentimentally this outcome means the tournament is over for me but all credit to venus fighting her way through.

But it was expected i guess... Elena was not playing well at all this week, maybe this is better... Svetlana did very well in still giving her all in this match. :)

Venus gets the lucky ending, but she deserved it after closing out svetlana yesterday. She fought her way through. :) Very well done to all players in this group, proud of them. :bounce:

Elena played great against Serena though, but Serena was pushing her back most of the time :)

Marty-Dom
Oct 30th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Sveta REALLY wanted to go to one of the Hip-Hop artists parties that Serena and Venus can attend at will. I'd say she earned her way in.
WS owe her one!

champion88
Oct 30th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Vee - lucky but yay!! :banana:

youizahoe
Oct 30th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Yall that think it wouldn't happen, are owned.

Michael!
Oct 30th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Venus :yeah:
Every player of the maroon group deserves SF more than any of the other group anyway :spit:

vw.
Oct 30th, 2009, 06:18 PM
It was impossible to see what was going to happen with Elena-Sveta... ;) both are so streaky.

but i'm certainly glad with what i saw!!! :hearts:

MegaDethly
Oct 30th, 2009, 06:18 PM

W0rd

Ryan
Oct 30th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Venus :yeah:
Every player of the maroon group deserves SF more than any of the other group anyway :spit:

How? Winning 1 match is never better than winning 2.

StephenUK
Oct 30th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Well done to Venus for not giving up after losing the first two matches so closely. :worship:

Elena D, on the other hand, :help:

Amanda
Oct 30th, 2009, 06:24 PM
once again, the haters are WRONG! Go, Venus and Serena!!

Davodus
Oct 30th, 2009, 06:26 PM
:woohoo:

¤CharlDa¤
Oct 30th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Wow :D Happy about that really!

Slutiana
Oct 30th, 2009, 06:28 PM

Maybe because all the best players got put in one group and the worst in the other? :lol:

youizahoe
Oct 30th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Maybe because all the best players got put in one group and the worst in the other? :lol:

Maybe it's just a plot of the wta, wanting serena vs venus twice :rolls:

Michael!
Oct 30th, 2009, 06:34 PM

:cuckoo:
Of course, it can be better...

I mean, only because it is a win more, you also have to look at the quality of the matches...
And the white group is just aweful...

Uranium
Oct 30th, 2009, 06:35 PM
I don't see how since she played by the rules and it isn't like she lost to Serena and Elena in straight sets (plus she had a match point against Serena).

If you read the whole thing and didn't just bold that one part, I think it'd be a joke since she would have had the worst record to win the whole event (3-2). But joke isn't the most appropriate word I guess.

Ryan
Oct 30th, 2009, 06:35 PM

I mean, only because it is a win more, you also have to look at the quality of the matches...
And the white group is just aweful...

You WOULD say that. If someone finishes 2-1, its better than finishing 1-2. Unless Venus had beaten Serena. But she beat Sveta, in crazy 3 sets. :shrug:

Mikey B
Oct 30th, 2009, 06:36 PM
what a poor yec this is so far!!! i hope serena wins the whole thing.. it would be a shambles if she didnt..

Michael!
Oct 30th, 2009, 06:38 PM
You WOULD say that. If someone finishes 2-1, its better than finishing 1-2. Unless Venus had beaten Serena. But she beat Sveta, in crazy 3 sets. :shrug:

sure, JJ´s 2-1 is better than the 1-2 of Venus, u mean?
Winning 2 matches after 1-1 ret. and against a player who could hardly serve or move is better than playing three really tight matches, where no one had an injury and everyone fought over 2 hours?

I can´t agree with you in that point, sorry :p

Matt01
Oct 30th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Venus totally deserved it !

Deserved with lots of luck, yeah...

I mean, only because it is a win more, you also have to look at the quality of the matches...And the white group is just aweful...

Quality of marches? The maroon group was hardly better than the white group when it comes to quality.

RenaSlam.
Oct 30th, 2009, 07:01 PM
:worship:

Tennisstar86
Oct 30th, 2009, 07:02 PM
A hot mess... is what this is... Congrats Venus lol....

cellophane
Oct 30th, 2009, 07:06 PM
If it's an all Williams final, it better be like the end of that third set they played! Otherwise :fiery:

youizahoe
Oct 30th, 2009, 07:12 PM
No fighting in my thread :mad:

Vee Williams
Oct 30th, 2009, 07:18 PM
No fighting in my thread :mad:

No fighting in any thread, in my opinion :)

Larrybidd
Oct 30th, 2009, 08:01 PM
sure, JJ´s 2-1 is better than the 1-2 of Venus, u mean?
Winning 2 matches after 1-1 ret. and against a player who could hardly serve or move is better than playing three really tight matches, where no one had an injury and everyone fought over 2 hours?

I can´t agree with you in that point, sorry :p

Agreed. JJ basically had a walkover into the semi's. Not that it matters, but truth is truth.

PLP
Oct 30th, 2009, 08:04 PM
COngrats Venus!!
I knew you could do it.
:worship: