PDA

View Full Version : maybe best of 5 sets should be played at EOY?

pj5
Oct 28th, 2009, 08:44 PM
It occured to me that the best are playing at EOY.
So they should be the fittest I guess and should be able to handle best of 5 sets.
The format at EOY has changed apparently to round robin format with 8 players from previous 16, so it's not yet cast in stone as with the slams.

The money also seems to be the highest on offer as well. Seems much easier to me that to make 1.5 million, you need to win say 4 out of 5 matches, much easier than at a grand slam.
If it was a best of 5 knock out, say with 16 girls, that would be quite interesting.

You needn't worry with standby players.
And this would be the place to best experiment with also.
And also seems to me with the last girl standing, most of us would say "well deserved... now have a well earned rest" :)

So .. your thoughts?

Caipirinha Guy
Oct 28th, 2009, 08:50 PM
what is EOY?

égalité
Oct 28th, 2009, 08:52 PM
So they should be the fittest I guess and should be able to handle best of 5 sets.
The format at EOY has changed apparently to round robin format with 8 players from previous 16, so it's not yet cast in stone as with the slams.

The money also seems to be the highest on offer as well. Seems much easier to me that to make 1.5 million, you need to win say 4 out of 5 matches, much easier than at a grand slam.
If it was a best of 5 knock out, say with 16 girls, that would be quite interesting.

And also seems to me with the last girl standing, most of us would say "well deserved... now have a well earned rest" :)

So .. your thoughts?

Has changed apparently? When did you notice this? :spit:

Vanity Bonfire
Oct 28th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Eoy? Wtf?

pj5
Oct 28th, 2009, 09:01 PM
I am confusing people!!!!
I mean end of year tournament - held NOW at Doha!!! (hope I am not misinterpreting wahat EOY stands for!!)
Hope I corrected the confusion here.

égalité
Oct 28th, 2009, 09:01 PM
EOY :hysteric:

Is that the Eear Onding Yampionships? The finale of the Sanowa Ericsson WTA Tour? :hearts:

Nina.
Oct 28th, 2009, 09:05 PM
I thought it was called YEC :lol:
Anyway, all the players are tired and injured anyway so you really want to see best of 5 matches?

Bijoux0021
Oct 28th, 2009, 09:05 PM

So .. your thoughts?
How should they be the fittest at the end of a very long year? Was Dinara the fittest? Just because they made the top 8 doesn't mean they don't have some sort of nagging injuries going on. In addition, they are playing everyday. How are they going to stay healthy to compete at a high level playing best of 5 sets everyday? :o

fufuqifuqishahah
Oct 28th, 2009, 09:11 PM
why?

So JJ can double bagel safina? :drool:

pov
Oct 28th, 2009, 09:37 PM
End Of Year. Good idea. I think all the majors should have 5 sets just like the men. According to scientists, women often have greater endurance than men, so there's no problem.

fouc
Oct 28th, 2009, 09:38 PM

Is that the Eear Onding Yampionships? The finale of the Sanowa Ericsson WTA Tour? :hearts:

:lol::worship:

youizahoe
Oct 28th, 2009, 09:38 PM

:rolls:

sammy01
Oct 28th, 2009, 09:42 PM
you may as well hand dementieva the title then, theres no way she would lose a match in a 4th or 5th set.

Olórin
Oct 28th, 2009, 09:53 PM

:haha:

fammmmedspin
Oct 28th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Didn't work that well in the past. Anke and Steffi took alternating sets fairly clearly for most of their 5 set match if I recall and it ended in the fittest and most experienced player winning. Theseadays most of them look as if they can barely get through 2 sets at this time of the year.
Top 16 and no round Robin might be better again? Francesca or another in form top 16 player would have fun this week. A crowd would be an improvement - the old MSG one couldn't be beaten.

fufuqifuqishahah
Oct 29th, 2009, 06:01 AM
this would be cray cray