PDA

View Full Version : YEC needs out of Doha

tennisIlove09
Oct 28th, 2009, 04:19 PM
The seats are emptier than last year.
Get back to MSG already. this is so sad for the last event of the year and no one is even there watching.

vml
Oct 28th, 2009, 04:31 PM
I agree, I want the YEC in Paris, ahah !

Dani12
Oct 28th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Should be in Japan...

*Jean*
Oct 28th, 2009, 04:44 PM
YEC needs real tennis players.

A Magicman
Oct 28th, 2009, 04:45 PM

Exactly. :worship:

propi
Oct 28th, 2009, 05:15 PM
I do think it should be rotatory; held in a different place every year; but if you want a place forever, may it be Spain! YEC in Madrid had great audiences and prices :)

BlameSerena
Oct 28th, 2009, 05:17 PM

So far the only dud match was Vika/JJ :sad:...so I think the tennis has been competitive and good overall.

pov
Oct 28th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Yes, the only consideration for a tournament should be if the seats are full in the first 3 - 5 years. :haha: If that was the case, there would be very few tournaments

47eggs
Oct 28th, 2009, 05:23 PM
I totally agree. Its quite honestly ridiculous being held in Doha. I can imagine that some 10k matches have had more spectators than we have seen this week. Don't mind where it should go to as long as it brings in big crowds of tennis fans and is given justice as a tournament for the best players in the world.

Convoluted
Oct 28th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Linz had more spectators than this...

AnnaK_4ever
Oct 28th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Yes, the only consideration for a tournament should be if the seats are full in the first 3 - 5 years. :haha: If that was the case, there would be very few tournaments

One of the most idiotic comments I've ever read on this forum. Congrats!

!Gio!
Oct 28th, 2009, 05:29 PM
One of the most idiotic comments I've ever read on this forum. Congrats!

I second that and boy there have been some very dumb ones:tape:

Expat
Oct 28th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Seriously they pay well.
The WTA prefers bigger paychecks than bigger crowds even if they are playing in misogynistic countries. Its good business policy and good for the players who get a share of the increased prize money.

Beat
Oct 28th, 2009, 05:40 PM

not that this would increase the number of spectators...

but honestly, is anyone surprised?

Wimbledon9
Oct 28th, 2009, 11:43 PM
So in the old days the women could not play according to people on this board but they always had a full house in Japan, Chicago. Eastbourne or at MSG in New York. How is that possible. When Chris Evert retired in 1989 she played lots of exhibition matches against Martina Navratilova, some of them before 16000 spectators!!

Buitenzorg
Oct 28th, 2009, 11:49 PM
YEC should be in Acer Arena in Sydney :) :kiss:

Matt01
Oct 29th, 2009, 12:05 AM
So in the old days the women could not play according to people on this board but they always had a full house in Japan, Chicago. Eastbourne or at MSG in New York. How is that possible. When Chris Evert retired in 1989 she played lots of exhibition matches against Martina Navratilova, some of them before 16000 spectators!!

At the YEC in NY? Always full house? Don't be ridiculous.

Yorker
Oct 29th, 2009, 12:21 AM

This is the YEC, the best 8 players of the year and the stands can't even manage 50 fans? Doha is not the place for the championships.

Tripp
Oct 29th, 2009, 01:26 AM
In my opinion, larger crowds = better matches. Even if there are some nutjobs out there playing the YEC who will crumble under pressure, any player will tell you that they feel a lot more motivated when playing in front of a big crowd. The atmosphere is completely different.

LightWarrior
Oct 29th, 2009, 02:08 AM
Doha is fine. I hated Staples Center in LA. But I will never understand why it was moved from Madison Square Garden. YEC belongs to MSG.

Dawson.
Oct 29th, 2009, 03:05 AM
Maybe they should follow the ATP's example and move it to the O2 in London :angel:

Wannabeknowitall
Oct 29th, 2009, 04:01 AM
In my opinion, larger crowds = better matches. Even if there are some nutjobs out there playing the YEC who will crumble under pressure, any player will tell you that they feel a lot more motivated when playing in front of a big crowd. The atmosphere is completely different.

I don't think any amount of crowd would have helped Safina today.
In her case it was best there weren't that many people around to see her match today.

Wawrinka's ass.

barboza
Oct 29th, 2009, 04:05 AM
Bring it back to LA!! Ugh.

The Kaz
Oct 29th, 2009, 05:15 AM
Bring it back to LA!! Ugh.

:tape: LA crowds are even worse!

YEC in America will never work IMO.

How about Australia? :angel: