PDA

View Full Version : Are you for or against the Bali YEC in Indonesia?

Julian.
Oct 28th, 2009, 01:42 PM
What do you think of the Bali Tournament of Champions? You like the idea? against it? Doesn't care?

I actually like the idea. Some of the people in MTF even wish the ATP has the man version of this tournament. :angel:

tanman
Oct 28th, 2009, 01:47 PM
pointless tournament.

delicatecutter
Oct 28th, 2009, 01:51 PM
It's a good idea now that Sabine has been included. :p

Marionated
Oct 28th, 2009, 01:54 PM
You would think that the tournament is full of mickey mouse queens the way some posters are going on. Bartoli has a slam QF and a premier title, the same for Lisicki. Wickmayer and Stosur have both reached a slam semi. MJMS has been solid at the slams and has pushed a lot of top players. Some of the other players have had decent results. I am looking foward to it.

KV
Oct 28th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Against

selestribe
Oct 28th, 2009, 02:07 PM
This event is a (bad) joke

DragonFlame
Oct 28th, 2009, 02:14 PM
The event is a nice idea but it needs different qualifying rules. The field would have been much better if the rule was 'win any title and you're in the race', and fedcup wasn't in the same week.

Randy H
Oct 28th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Like about 95% of anything Larry Scott implemented into his awful run as CEO, I am against this idea. The WTA as an organization has lost more and more respect from me with each year. There are so many issues I have with the state of the WTA right now as a whole that I could go on and on, but it just saddens me to look at the way things are run now compared to before.

KournikovaFan91
Oct 28th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Good idea but not with people who don't win internationals or even do well in international events getting WCs.

mboyle
Oct 28th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Like about 95% of anything Larry Scott implemented into his awful run as CEO, I am against this idea. The WTA as an organization has lost more and more respect from me with each year. There are so many issues I have with the state of the WTA right now as a whole that I could go on and on, but it just saddens me to look at the way things are run now compared to before.

That's funny because the general consensus outside of wtaworld is that Larry Scott was brilliant, and I happen to agree. How tennis, particularly women's tennis, is on a financial upswing in the middle of a recession when a woman who looks like Shreck and doesn't win grand slam titles has been number one for most of the year is a miracle of Larry's impeccable marketing and network leveraging skills.

^bibi^
Oct 28th, 2009, 02:21 PM
The idea of the tournament, i.e. a masters for up and coming players, is AWESOME

What they did of that tournament is not really good IMHO :shrug:

First of all it shouldn't be the same week as fed cup final,
Second there should be an age limit
Third of all it should be for players who have improved over the last 12 months and are real up and coming players

So for example for this year we would have a field with players like Wickmayer, Oudin, Pavlyuchenkova, Cirstea, Lisicki, etc...

Maybe also award a WC for the previous' year Junior world champion

That IMHO would be a good tournament...

colt13
Oct 28th, 2009, 02:24 PM
I love the idea. Of course, if i could see it on tv, it would be better. The sponsors should like it because you are helping to make stars, all women have won tournaments, and it is round robin, so fans get to see their favorites more than once.

The fact that the GS winners have to lighten their workloads after deep runs puts more importance on making names in smaller tournaments. So they need to be rewarded.

Randy H
Oct 28th, 2009, 02:34 PM
That's funny because the general consensus outside of wtaworld is that Larry Scott was brilliant, and I happen to agree. How tennis, particularly women's tennis, is on a financial upswing in the middle of a recession when a woman who looks like Shreck and doesn't win grand slam titles has been number one for most of the year is a miracle of Larry's impeccable marketing and network leveraging skills.

They have have financial success right now, but you also have to consider that a lot of the deals with sponsors have been made prior to the actual recession. It's not as though they landed the deal with Sony Ericsson to be their head sponsor this year with Safina as the face of the tour...And while I do agree that financial stability is important, I think it's a sad trade off to get that from holding tournaments in Dubai etc. and see empty stands at what is supposed to be a world class event.

Players are forced to play tournaments they don't want to play, even when they are injured. Fans are expected to buy tickets based on what is often times, false advertising (all you have to do is look at the posters with players not even competing on the signs)...And why is that? Because the WTA tries to restrict fans from seeing updated entry lists so that they can hold onto the belief that Serena, Venus, Sharapova etc. are playing, even weeks after they have actually withdrawn from an event.

They want to brag about players now meeting their commitments...But at what cost? No one seems to string together any consistent results right now, players like Wozniacki and Zvonareva show up at mandatory events trying to play through illness and injury so they don't get penalized by the tour.

What Larry Scott has done is tried to turn the WTA into the ATP, and it seems as though they are now continuing down the route of merging them closer and closer together...And this upsets me, because the WTA *should* be able to hold its own, and fans often suffer for this because television favours showing mens matches and excluding the women.

fufuqifuqishahah
Oct 28th, 2009, 02:50 PM
The event is a nice idea but it needs different qualifying rules. The field would have been much better if the rule was 'win any title and you're in the race', and fedcup wasn't in the same week.

I agree!

I actually love the idea, I just think some of the qualifying rules are a little bit padokey lokey. At the same time, they are trying to encourage some girls to play more international tournaments, which can be good for the int'l tournaments, though not necessarily the best for the girls who don't win int'l tournaments but win premieres.

Rising Sun
Oct 28th, 2009, 02:53 PM
I think it's a good idea. It's a platform to showcase the game in a way so not only top players get promoted. :)

It's probably the only change I've liked the last few years, though :o

AnnaK_4ever
Oct 28th, 2009, 04:17 PM

Of course it had nothing to do with the fact Henin was #1 and French and US Opens champion, Serena was Australian Open champion, Venus was Wimbledon champion, Sharapova was top-5, and Ivanovic and Vaidisova were relevant players when Scott signed that conract...

young_gunner913
Oct 28th, 2009, 09:51 PM
I like the idea. I think its cool for players who havent won the big tournaments but are still winning titles should get one last hoorah out of the yeaer. I think Bali is a beautiful place to have the tournament, however the whole visa melodrama with Shahar has completely thrown me off. This is the second problem in 3 years that Indonesia has had some kind of tennis beef with Israel so I'm really quite against it. If they wanna have it, move it somewhere else where everyone who qualifies gets the chance to play no questions asked.

ClaudiaZ-S
Oct 28th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Great idea

anon57
Oct 28th, 2009, 09:56 PM
I think the idea of having a tournament for the players making a breakthrough is pretty good but planning of the tournament along with the qualifying rules still need to be improved.

tennisforadults
Oct 28th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, I reckon most people who hate this simply hate change ;)

The rules were clear from the beginning - whoever wins an International tournament will gain a spot if the ranking is high enough. Simple. They have 2 wildcards they can give to anyone at their discretion - same way wildcards work at grand slams.

This is a great opportunity to showcase some of the lesser known players on tour. Doha is definitely still the glitzy and glamorous major tournament. So why no room for Bali?

sammy01
Oct 28th, 2009, 10:07 PM
it's a good idea, put heck it's WTA so they have found ways to screw it. it should be before the YEC, as its seems stupid it's after. it should be #9-20 in the rankings that qualify, not all sorts of random players.

delicatecutter
Oct 28th, 2009, 10:12 PM
I'm more excited about this tournament than Doha!! :woohoo: :aparty:

The Dawntreader
Oct 28th, 2009, 10:12 PM
it's a good idea, put heck it's WTA so they have found ways to screw it. it should be before the YEC, as its seems stupid it's after. it should be #9-20 in the rankings that qualify, not all sorts of random players.

Agreed.

Having a slumping Szavay in the mix, Czink and Rybarikova is hardly a stunning show-case. I don't understand all the hyperbolic advertising. It's pretty much just a a Tier 3 tournament.

It's not bad for the WTA, but it's not something unique or particularly original.

sammy01
Oct 28th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Agreed.

Having a slumping Szavay in the mix, Czink and Rybarikova is hardly a stunning show-case. I don't understand all the hyperbolic advertising. It's pretty much just a a Tier 3 tournament.

It's not bad for the WTA, but it's not something unique or particularly original.

exactly the 3 players you mentioned do absolutely nothing to help the status of the event.

delicatecutter
Oct 28th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Czink is having the season of her career! And this was Magda's breakthrough season! They both are what this tournament is supposed to be about. I can't disagree about Szavay though. :o

The Daviator
Oct 28th, 2009, 10:32 PM
I like the idea, it's something different and nice for the journeywomen, but far too many points are on offer and the winner will have an over-inflated rank for a year :o

The Dawntreader
Oct 28th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Czink is having the season of her career! And this was Magda's breakthrough season! They both are what this tournament is supposed to be about. I can't disagree about Szavay though. :o

I do actually really like watching Szavay, but her form is hardly fitting for such an event.

It's nothing like a 'YEC' at all. So many different players at different competitive levels.

delicatecutter
Oct 28th, 2009, 10:49 PM
I do actually really like watching Szavay, but her form is hardly fitting for such an event.

It's nothing like a 'YEC' at all. So many different players at different competitive levels.

It's not like there are ITF girls there. :lol: I think Rybarikova is the lowest ranked player there and she has beaten Bartoli who is the highest ranked. :shrug:

ETA: Date-Krumm is the lowest ranked but she is a WC and has had several top 50 wins herself this season, including over Medina who is one of the top ranked in this event.

Buitenzorg
Oct 28th, 2009, 10:51 PM
I like the idea :)

Ferg
Oct 28th, 2009, 10:55 PM
I quite like the idea. My only problem with it is the fact its before the proper YEC.

dsanders06
Oct 28th, 2009, 10:55 PM
I think it's pointless and lame, but that doesn't mean I'm 'against' it as such. The tournament doesn't have to affect me as a person. Although I doubt I'll be trying to find a livestream to watch any of it, I'm obviously not against these players doing it.

tennisforadults
Oct 29th, 2009, 05:07 AM
exactly the 3 players you mentioned do absolutely nothing to help the status of the event.

Sure they are not top 20 players, but they still are in the top 50. Having just top 20 players would have been a little boring? There are always dangerous floaters outside the top 20 who can beat a top 10 player (just look at this year's slams).

Besides, The organisers can't control whether these players are in a form rise or slump. Look at Ana, she's ranked 22 but I bet she would lose to any of these players in her current form. I think winning an International title is a perfectly fine entry criteria.

I'm just happy they have this tournament besides Doha, with its interesting mix of players.

Roookie
Oct 29th, 2009, 05:15 AM
pointless and lame. The qualifying rules, the ranking points..pretty much everything.

Harvs
Oct 29th, 2009, 05:17 AM
i love it, :)