PDA

View Full Version : Is it really the end for Venus?

poorsy
Oct 28th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Read about Venus on

www.wtaworld.blogspot.com

Em_Seeker
Oct 28th, 2009, 11:48 AM
i'm not sure though, she was injured in wimbledon, but continued playing there. in an interview at wimbly, she's been asked about her injury and she said she doesn't wanna talk about her injury, even from the past. i guess, she's not in her good form this year, but i hope she'll play well next year.

Привет
Oct 28th, 2009, 11:53 AM
It's the end of a long, and for the most part shit season for Venus. Doesn't necessarily mean that it's 'the end', whatever that means.

cosmoose
Oct 28th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Venus is getting old. She'll be 30 next year.
It's natural that her skill will start to diminish.
Proud champion like her, I would rather see her retire bit early than hang around too long and become a trophy for up and comers.

volta
Oct 28th, 2009, 11:55 AM
It's the end of a long, and for the most part shit season for Venus. Doesn't necessarily mean that it's 'the end', whatever that means.

this.

it's all mental when it comes to Venus, hopefully she'll get her ass on track next season

madmax
Oct 28th, 2009, 12:04 PM
well, it's only natural that your skills start to diminish when you are hitting 30...she is still naturally great athlete, but the mileage on her body starts showing it's signs

hdfb
Oct 28th, 2009, 12:22 PM
It's the umpteenth time we've heard about the so called 'end' of the sisters or one of the sisters. Yet time and time again they prove us wrong. Even when people say "No but this time, the really are gone.", they will get proven wrong.
Venus reached the Wimby final, yes for sure she had her fair share of shocking losses, but let's give it at another year before we can seriously talk about 'the end'.

miffedmax
Oct 28th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Good Lord. I know Lena D. has been Vee's bitch most of their careers, but go look at AnnaK's thread on most weeks in the Top 20 since 1997. Only the Williams and Mauresmo have been up there longer than Lena.

Vee's still PLAYING IN THE YEC. A lot of top players had a hard time in the late summer and fall because the Roadmap is a catastrophe.

Vee is not the force she was, but she's far from in decline. I expect her to do well next year.

Vanity Bonfire
Oct 28th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Good Lord. I know Lena D. has been Vee's bitch most of their careers, but go look at AnnaK's thread on most weeks in the Top 20 since 1997. Only the Williams and Mauresmo have been up there longer than Lena.

Vee's still PLAYING IN THE YEC. A lot of top players had a hard time in the late summer and fall because the Roadmap is a catastrophe.

Vee is not the force she was, but she's far from in decline. I expect her to do well next year.

Lena's bangs. Lena's bangs. Lena's bangs.

There you go.

RenaSlam.
Oct 28th, 2009, 01:15 PM
No. People counted her out last year and she won the YEC.

TheBoiledEgg
Oct 28th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Read about Venus on

www.wtaworld.blogspot.com (http://www.wtaworld.blogspot.com)

WTA World lives on :hearts: :hearts:

Vlover
Oct 28th, 2009, 01:37 PM
The Venus envy club have been wishing this since '04. Venus' only problem is that she has been battling several injuries and ailments through the years but still managed to hang in there with the best of them. I have no doubt that when she gets the chance to rest and heal her body she will rise again. Those who want this to be the end, keep dreaming, Venus is not a quitter even when things are not going well. Keep going Venus, we know you are a fighter and survivor!:worship:

Julian.
Oct 28th, 2009, 01:47 PM
No. She will beat Serena.

tanman
Oct 28th, 2009, 01:55 PM
well, it's only natural that your skills start to diminish when you are hitting 30...she is still naturally great athlete, but the mileage on her body starts showing it's signs

I dont see how there is alot of mileage on her compare to other players since she did not play
junior tennis and averages maybe 18 tournaments a year since she turn pro. As a professional
tennis player that is not much tennis mileage.

miffedmax
Oct 28th, 2009, 02:07 PM
There you go.

Thanks. Can we get a ruling from the Lena's bangs committee?

Yes. That's going to count! :woohoo:

VishaalMaria
Oct 28th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Whatever. Venus will be fine. Move on haters and try and so something meaningful with your lives.

hingis-seles
Oct 28th, 2009, 02:17 PM
How is it the end for Venus? Why do these kinds of threads have to keep popping up? She's a Wimbledon finalist, defending champ at the YEC and qualified for the tournament again despite her "horrid" season. Don't compare her to the new kids on the block - look at how much mileage she's clocked over the years. And don't forget - she hasn't made mini-retirements like the rest of her major rivals have over the course of their careers.

Bijoux0021
Oct 28th, 2009, 02:19 PM
:yawn:

dreamgoddess099
Oct 28th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Once again, it just shows the high standards that the sisters have set.

miffedmax
Oct 28th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Whatever. Venus will be fine. Move on haters and try and so something meaningful with your lives.

Actually, I think this thread is more offensive to Lena fans. Once again, a loss to a 500-career-win, perrenial Top 10 player who has everything on her resume except a major is treated by some people as though Vee lost to somebody outside the Top 200.

Yes. Vee is a better overall player than my beloved, bangless Lena. But that third win was going to come sooner or later. And it's not just some Vee fans or alleged experts who do this.

Sheesh. Two really good players played a match. One of them won. One of them lost. That's kind of how the game works.

I even hear that Vee has a similar deal tonight!

poorsy
Oct 28th, 2009, 02:56 PM
I agree maybe, I am doubting her a bit. But I really dont think she is fit as she really could be. It was proven yesterday that Dementieva was just much fitter than her third. I want her to give herself the best opportunity to win slams. It would be incredible if she did an off season with Gill Reyes to see how much of an effect that would have on her performance. Look what it did for Verdasco! He is one of the fittest men on the tour now!

Come on Venus, call Gill Reyes!

BuTtErFrEnA
Oct 28th, 2009, 03:12 PM

omg....MAX!!! you didn't mention lena's bangs :eek:

miffedmax
Oct 28th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Yes, but the Committee on Lena's Bangs has already ruled in my favor. :angel:

Not surprising, since it consists of me.

BuTtErFrEnA
Oct 28th, 2009, 03:31 PM
sorry i'd like to join as well...just to make sure you keep your end of the deal

Volcana
Oct 28th, 2009, 03:49 PM
It might be. It might not. Venus is long past having anything to prove. The question is wheter she had much left to gain. Is she gonna win FOUR more slam singles titles? So she's never gonna be the best tennis player in the family. And she's already one of the best female tennis players in history. So what, exactly, is she going into the gym day after day to suffer for?

Henin quit when she hit this point. She just hit it earlier than Venus did. Same with Davenport. When all you're doing is padding your resume, how motivated ARE you? Serena is still, albeit just barely, pushing for the title of 'best ever'. I don;t see it happening, but when you're holding two slam singles titles, it conceivable by definition, regardless of age.

I have no idea if Venus is just 'playing out the string', or not.. Venus may not even know. Certainly if motherhood was beckoning, things might be different. This wil be far easier to measure after Dubai next year.

miffedmax
Oct 28th, 2009, 04:26 PM
sorry i'd like to join as well...just to make sure you keep your end of the deal

Oh, you are. I think you've busted me on Lena's bangs like four or five times and I had to go back and post make up mentions.:lol:

!Gio!
Oct 28th, 2009, 04:33 PM
what is up with these melodramatic shit threads, at 29 she made the finals of Wimbledon, qualified for the year end champ, so she is having a bad patch, that doesn't mean anything she will come back but it wont be the same as before and thats normal she is almost 30, get a grip!

friendsita
Oct 28th, 2009, 04:49 PM
I don't think so... I think she'll win at least 2 more Wimby's and other smallers titles.

phelbyn
Oct 28th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Proud champion like her, I would rather see her retire bit early than hang around too long and become a trophy for up and comers.

Many huge stars have retired before 30. Venus is one of the oldest left on tour. She'll be out of the game in the next few years. I'm not surprised her ranking is dropping. She'll be hard pressed to stay in the top 10 of the game. She could have HUGE success in doubles though...

kiwifan
Oct 28th, 2009, 05:42 PM
I remember this same "chicken little attitude" in 2004...it was all over then. :yawn:

Alex03Maccy
Oct 28th, 2009, 05:42 PM
i think in 2010 she will either win a slam or two and get back to her best or carry on her current form and maybe stop at the end of next year, a defining season.

V's a star
Oct 28th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Many huge stars have retired before 30. Venus is one of the oldest left on tour. She'll be out of the game in the next few years. I'm not surprised her ranking is dropping. She'll be hard pressed to stay in the top 10 of the game. She could have HUGE success in doubles though...

:haha: oh god. the hatin never stops

madmax
Oct 28th, 2009, 05:52 PM
she will find her way out of TOP 10 next year, with healthy Pova, Kim and Justine pushing into TOP 10 anyway...I guess she is reaching the crossroads of her career whether she wants to push herself even more or to become part time player:unsure:

Kipling
Oct 28th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Yes, but the Committee on Lena's Bangs has already ruled in my favor. :angel:

Not surprising, since it consists of me.

Nah, I think this is the end of an era.

All streaks must come to end. DiMaggio, Unitas, now Lena's bangs....

Mynarco
Oct 28th, 2009, 06:52 PM
If Venus continues to play the whole year like the 1st 2games against Serena @ YEC 2009, she hasn't reached the end.

Slutiana
Oct 28th, 2009, 06:55 PM
I think she's just tired. Her movement ust isn't great right now and I think it may have had something to do with the knees, god knows but she just needs to rest and come back strong in '10.

Sombrerero loco
Oct 28th, 2009, 07:06 PM
I wish she retired soon...

poorsy
Oct 28th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Im wathcing it now ad Venus is just going through the motions.

poorsy
Oct 28th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Keep following me on

for tomorrows piece on the second day at the Sony Ericsson Championships.

I have a lot to say!

Matt01
Oct 28th, 2009, 10:26 PM

That bolded part was totally true.

Apoleb
Oct 28th, 2009, 10:28 PM
TBH, I don't see the point of her playing outside Wimbledon anymore. She's probably losing net money with all those early round losses. She should go ahead and take a 50 week vacation and enjoy life, then ask for a WC come wimbledon. She could lose again to Serena in the final or to Justine next year, and that'd be pretty respectable and won't tarnish as much her "legacy."

hankqq
Oct 28th, 2009, 10:32 PM
lol she almost beat Dementieva and Serena so I'm sure she's finished :weirdo:

darrinbaker00
Oct 28th, 2009, 10:33 PM
It's a shame they don't sell perspective on eBay. You could certainly use some.

phelbyn
Oct 28th, 2009, 10:34 PM

Now now.... there's a difference between hating, and contemplating a realistic future. Poor Venus has been on a downward trend in recent years. She DID start off WELL this season, but since April or May she has not played well at all.

Hope for the best, but face reality, when you get older in the tennis world, success doesn't come as easy.

goldenlox
Oct 28th, 2009, 10:46 PM
I thought she played really well today. I'm looking forward to seeing her match with Sveta.

The Witch-king
Oct 29th, 2009, 12:55 PM
TBH, I don't see the point of her playing outside Wimbledon anymore. She's probably losing net money with all those early round losses. She should go ahead and take a 50 week vacation and enjoy life, then ask for a WC come wimbledon. She could lose again to Serena in the final or to Justine next year, and that'd be pretty respectable and won't tarnish as much her "legacy."

doesn't that theory apply to just about EVERY other player on tour now??? it's not like there's anyone winning titles week in week out. literally every top 10 player has bombed out of tournaments early MULTIPLE times this year, let alone these past few months.

AcesHigh
Oct 29th, 2009, 01:26 PM

:lol: What utter bullshit. She's already made over $2.25 million this year and she should stop playing outside of Wimbledon b/c she's losing money? Suuuuuuure.

Again, these threads come up and people have no idea what they are talking about. Diehard Vee fans know she'll be fine. It's not her age, b/c she's ONLY 29 and Vee has the body of an elite athlete. Only in tennis are you over the hill at age 29 :lol:

Physically, she looked better this year than she did in...say.. 2007 where she would lose steam by the third set(or even 2nd set) of most of her matches.

Venus's problem IMHO is a mental one and she's just in a funk right now. She'll be fine and she should keep playing until she decides she's had enough. We've seen flashes of brilliance this year and the knock against Vee before was that she couldnt win anything of significance off of grass, well she won her first Premier/Tier I in a LONG time. Another knock was that she couldnt keep up with top players off of grass... well doesnt seem to be true either as we all know she has the capability to kick ass on all surfaces. She reached the top 3 for the first time in a LONG time and I think she can return next year.

Has it been a perfect year for Vee? No, of course not.. but I saw things that make me really optimistic and proud as a diehard fan of Venus Williams.

Vaidisova Ruled
Oct 29th, 2009, 01:55 PM
:lol: What utter bullshit. She's already made over $2.25 million this year and she should stop playing outside of Wimbledon b/c she's losing money? Suuuuuuure.

Again, these threads come up and people have no idea what they are talking about. Diehard Vee fans know she'll be fine. It's not her age, b/c she's ONLY 29 and Vee has the body of an elite athlete. Only in tennis are you over the hill at age 29 :lol:

Physically, she looked better this year than she did in...say.. 2007 where she would lose steam by the third set(or even 2nd set) of most of her matches.

Venus's problem IMHO is a mental one and she's just in a funk right now. She'll be fine and she should keep playing until she decides she's had enough. We've seen flashes of brilliance this year and the knock against Vee before was that she couldnt win anything of significance off of grass, well she won her first Premier/Tier I in a LONG time. Another knock was that she couldnt keep up with top players off of grass... well doesnt seem to be true either as we all know she has the capability to kick ass on all surfaces. She reached the top 3 for the first time in a LONG time and I think she can return next year.

Has it been a perfect year for Vee? No, of course not.. but I saw things that make me really optimistic and proud as a diehard fan of Venus Williams.
What do you lean by mental problem?

I think it's normal that some people think she played bad this year because she is 29. But I think it has nothing to do with age. She is like Kuznetsova, really inconsistent. She can be Sharapova 62 62 and then Dementieva 60 61 and then lose to Bartoli. The same at wimbledon 61 60 against Dinara.

However, I would be surprised if she wins a slam outside of Wimbledon. When she won YEC 08, I thought that it could be her year this year...

Sombrerero loco
Oct 29th, 2009, 02:06 PM
I wish it was...it´s the time of Justine or many others, not Venus´

DemWilliamsGulls
Oct 29th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Over for Venus? Are a'll crazy...i mean she was in the finals at Wimbledon this year...and made it to the quarterfinals at the US open. I still say Venus can win at least 4 more grand slams before she finishes...even if they are only Wimbledon titles...I still see her getting about 4. Her game has gone down since 2004 I think ( at least her first serves, more unforced errors and she tires quickly than she did back in 2000-2003 ) but the girl can beat ANYBODY on a good day.

sammy01
Oct 29th, 2009, 03:04 PM

I kind of agree with you, though would just have to point out it's not odd that just as you have found reasons to be positive towards venus tennis this year, others may have seen reasons as to why they think the writings on the wall. Its perspective, you may think reaching a wimbledon final is a positive thing (which it is interms of acheivement) but as the 2 time defending champion prehaps it isn't as positive to other people, as they expect the very best from venus at wimbledon.

2Black
Oct 29th, 2009, 03:09 PM
It's the end when Venus says it's the end!!! Thank You & Good Night!

gmokb
Oct 29th, 2009, 03:12 PM
It's the end when Venus says it's the end!!! Thank You & Good Night!

Amen:worship:

CoolDude7
Oct 29th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Venus isn't over, but i think it would benefit her to reduce her schedule and focus even more on the majors and just a handful of events outside of them and that's it. 8 events including slams is enough for her at this point. She should spend most of her time off, just on building her stamina, and doing stuff she loves to do.
like this per say
events
1. Downunder
2. Miami
3. French Open(mainly to prepare for wimbledon)
4. Wimbledon
5. One of the U.S. open series hardcout events
6. The U.S. Open(last event)
7. play year end if she somehow makes it.

2Black
Oct 29th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Venus isn't over, but i think it would benefit her to reduce her schedule and focus even more on the majors and just a handful of events outside of them and that's it. 8 events including slams is enough for her at this point. She should spend most of her time off, just on building her stamina, and doing stuff she loves to do.
like this per say
events
1. Downunder
2. Miami
3. French Open(mainly to prepare for wimbledon)
4. Wimbledon
5. One of the U.S. open series hardcout events
6. The U.S. Open(last event)
7. play year end if she somehow makes it.

Please inform us what makes you qualified to tell Venus what she should do with her career. You people...

miffedmax
Oct 29th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Every elite player has had really bad patchy streaks this year, even some who are normally somewhat consistent. I really think this has more to do with the idiocy of the Roadmap than the wheels suddenly coming off for Vee. Or Lena. Or Rena. Or Dinara. Or Vika. Or Caro. Or Janko. Or any other Top 20 player who's had a slump at some point this year, with the possible exception of Ana, who really does seem to have some major problem in her game right now.

Or maybe it's all because of the bangs. But really, this has been a year where every single major player has had spotty streaks. That's why I'm inclined to believe it has as much to do with outside forces as it does individual players.

CoolDude7
Oct 29th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Please inform us what makes you qualified to tell Venus what she should do with her career. You people...

Who said anything about qualifications?? this is a message board.. there will be varying opinions.. as long as nothing is thrown out in a bad taste there is nothing wrong with analyzing tennis.

I am a big venus fan, but some of her fans are becoming a little too defensive, its a tennis board, people will discuss. I am welcome any opinion on venus that is not written in a bad matter, i won't get angry because they have an opinion.

AcesHigh
Oct 29th, 2009, 07:37 PM
I kind of agree with you, though would just have to point out it's not odd that just as you have found reasons to be positive towards venus tennis this year, others may have seen reasons as to why they think the writings on the wall. Its perspective, you may think reaching a wimbledon final is a positive thing (which it is interms of acheivement) but as the 2 time defending champion prehaps it isn't as positive to other people, as they expect the very best from venus at wimbledon.

True, Wimbledon was VERY disappointing.. but you have to look at Venus's career in two parts.

1997-2003
2004-current

People keep comparing Venus of 2009 to peak Venus. Why? If you look at 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, is this year that much worse? Form-wise?

Not really. It's not like there's some HUGE decline going on here.. let's be real, Venus is not going to take over the tour..never was going to happen since 2003, so I don't see what the big concern is.

sammy01
Oct 29th, 2009, 07:47 PM
True, Wimbledon was VERY disappointing.. but you have to look at Venus's career in two parts.

1997-2003
2004-current

People keep comparing Venus of 2009 to peak Venus. Why? If you look at 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, is this year that much worse? Form-wise?

Not really. It's not like there's some HUGE decline going on here.. let's be real, Venus is not going to take over the tour..never was going to happen since 2003, so I don't see what the big concern is.

thats why i said i kind of agree with you. though thats also why i don't see venus as a challenger at the other 3 slams as i only judge her from the last few years.

AcesHigh
Oct 29th, 2009, 07:50 PM
thats why i said i kind of agree with you. though thats also why i don't see venus as a challenger at the other 3 slams as i only judge her from the last few years.

Well, she's a challenger now.. b/c the competition sucks, but yea, when DAvenport, Henin, Clijsters, Serena, Mauresmo, etc were doing well, she wasn't really a challenger.

Right now, she's got a good chance just b/c she's so dangerous and it seems anyone can make finals of slams these days.

sammy01
Oct 29th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Well, she's a challenger now.. b/c the competition sucks, but yea, when DAvenport, Henin, Clijsters, Serena, Mauresmo, etc were doing well, she wasn't really a challenger.

Right now, she's got a good chance just b/c she's so dangerous and it seems anyone can make finals of slams these days.

very true, i wouldn't argue with that.

Slutiana
Oct 29th, 2009, 08:23 PM
very true, i wouldn't argue with that.
I really dont think that the competition has that big of a bearing on Venus. I mean if Venus brings it - I mean REALLY brings it she's gonna win against everyone bar maybe serena depending on her form. She is just such an inconsistent performer but although that is such a crucial downfall for Venus, it all so sums up the genius of Venus Williams I mean if she was to qualify, she could well go on and win whe whole thing.

sammy01
Oct 29th, 2009, 08:32 PM
I really dont think that the competition has that big of a bearing on Venus. I mean if Venus brings it - I mean REALLY brings it she's gonna win against everyone bar maybe serena depending on her form. She is just such an inconsistent performer but although that is such a crucial downfall for Venus, it all so sums up the genius of Venus Williams I mean if she was to qualify, she could well go on and win whe whole thing.

hmmmmmmmmmmmm now yes, a few years ago even in top form you gave hingis and davenport (as well as serena like you mentioned) a shot at beating her. I agree that if she brought it now probably only serena could beat her (but thats more the top players not having davenport and hingis quality in it now), but unlike 8 years ago shes even more inconsistent and struggles to back up big win after big win.

The Dawntreader
Oct 29th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Venus is a player that weaves in and out of being a Slam-winning performer to being an erratic player who struggles to string the tournaments and form together. It's strange, but it's usually always been the way since 2004.

Venus will continue though IMO, to challenge like she always does. Her game is by no means dated on tour. Especially in the current counter-puncher climate.

I don't agree about the level of play being a huge bearing. Venus was capable of beating any player playing well at a Slam. Her level when 'on' was far superior to anything Davenport, Clijsters, Capriati could throw in the mix.

2Black
Oct 29th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Who said anything about qualifications?? this is a message board.. there will be varying opinions.. as long as nothing is thrown out in a bad taste there is nothing wrong with analyzing tennis.

I am a big venus fan, but some of her fans are becoming a little too defensive, its a tennis board, people will discuss. I am welcome any opinion on venus that is not written in a bad matter, i won't get angry because they have an opinion.

And I am HAPPY Venus won't be listening to your opinion!!!

Vanity Bonfire
Oct 29th, 2009, 08:43 PM
The way she's playing right now she would beat the crap out of 99% of the Tour.

Slutiana
Oct 29th, 2009, 08:47 PM
And I just think she's been in a weird funk recently. Especially looking at all those WTF foorfaults. She's definitely trying hard but i think she's just mentally tiring, it's been a long and hard season with setbacks and tendonitis, she definitely just needs a rest.

CoolDude7
Oct 29th, 2009, 08:52 PM
And I am HAPPY Venus won't be listening to your opinion!!!

nor will she be listening to yours... what's your point? or are you just trying to be rude?

Apoleb
Oct 29th, 2009, 08:59 PM

Some people are so easy. It escapes me how some posters can write 3/4 paragraphs to a clearly tongue-in-cheek post. It's more reason to write them I guess. I didn't read that btw.

-VSR-
Oct 29th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Venus can win the first set.

Put up a good fight in the second.

Collapses in the third or gets match-point and then loses.

AcesHigh
Oct 29th, 2009, 09:05 PM

Venus is a player that weaves in and out of being a Slam-winning performer to being an erratic player who struggles to string the tournaments and form together. It's strange, but it's usually always been the way since 2004.

Venus will continue though IMO, to challenge like she always does. Her game is by no means dated on tour. Especially in the current counter-puncher climate.

I don't agree about the level of play being a huge bearing. Venus was capable of beating any player playing well at a Slam. Her level when 'on' was far superior to anything Davenport, Clijsters, Capriati could throw in the mix.

I know what you guys are saying... but honestly, there is no evidence to back that up. From 2004-2007(2007 when the tour REALLY began to decline IMHO), she didnt have a great record against top opponents. Someone can look it up, but I don't remember her beating Henin, Clijsters, Mauresmo, Davenport, or Serena much. She struggled against Hingis too when they played... same with Kuznetsova, etc.

So yea, her competition does matter. One thing I think has gotten BETTER about Venus is her play against the higher ranked opponents off of grass. I was really impressed by YEC last year, and her play in certain spurts this year... like her match against Safina on clay was impressive..
At the same time, look at her matches against Serena (the only real great talent left), and it's apparent that she still has a while to go, especially mentally... all those set points wasted at USO 2008?? C'mon.
I'm not making much sense and probably confusing myself :lol: but yea, Vee at her best is among the greatest talents of all-time.. however, you need to be able to win a match, string together good consistent play, and finish off players when it matters.

And I just think she's been in a weird funk recently. Especially looking at all those WTF foorfaults. She's definitely trying hard but i think she's just mentally tiring, it's been a long and hard season with setbacks and tendonitis, she definitely just needs a rest.

I really agree with this though. I mean.. she just looks tired out there at times, not physically but mentally..and I think the Wimbledon final was a blow b/c that was an opportunity to really make her mark among the greatest of the greatest and she didn't bring it(Serena was awesome but Venus just wasnt there like 2008). It's been a long year.. and I think Venus just needs a break.

Dodoboy.
Oct 29th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Hopeless nowadays, sad that this is the way she'll end her career :sad:

Bijoux0021
Oct 29th, 2009, 09:10 PM
She's not retiring this year. She might comeback next year and have a great year. Don't count her out yet.

CoolDude7
Oct 29th, 2009, 09:15 PM
I think they will end their career by trying to win the doubles Gold medal on the grass surface

but i think they won't play nonstop until then.. there will be breaks

dsanders06
Oct 29th, 2009, 09:20 PM
The fundamentals of a top player are still there, but I really think she's losing her nerve. That's the main thing that decreases when a tennis player gets 'old'... confidence and mental strength. Venus is no exception. I wouldn't be surprised to see her sneak in another Wimbledon or two, but I do think generally speaking she's on the way out.

2Black
Oct 29th, 2009, 09:23 PM
nor will she be listening to yours... what's your point? or are you just trying to be rude?

Im not being rude & I didn't give an opinion. I gave her the respect she deserves. It will be the end when SHE decides to retire. People need to stop trying to tell others what to do with their life & careers. Especially when you're not a friend or confidant.

CoolDude7
Oct 29th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Im not being rude & I didn't give an opinion. I gave her the respect she deserves. It will be the end when SHE decides to retire. People need to stop trying to tell others what to do with their life & careers. Especially when you're not a friend or confidant.

oh, please, you have given lots of opinions , you arent some newbie poster. Everyone has one, nothing wrong with people discussing on a message board. Esp, when they make it clear by saying "Think" in their post. It's known that no one here(including you have any say so on her career)

get over yourself, you are no better than anyone here.

Dodoboy.
Oct 29th, 2009, 09:33 PM
She plays well ! She isn't playing badly!

She just loses herself when it's a big point! Even 0-30 or 30-30 irks her these days! DOn't even get me started on BPs!

Matt01

:bs:

UrukHai
Williams Win It All !!!!

Uranium
Oct 29th, 2009, 09:34 PM

Oh Shut up:smash:

Venus needs rest ASAP.

new-york
Oct 29th, 2009, 09:36 PM

Go ask them.

Matt01
Oct 29th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Oh Shut up:smash:

Venus needs rest ASAP.

Why does she need rest ASAP? She hasn't played much in the 2nd half of the season.

Matt01
Oct 29th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Go ask them.

Lindsay and Kim would be too polite and modest to deny the statement of the poster I was quoting. You comment doesn't seem very clever.

UrukHai
Oct 29th, 2009, 09:41 PM
venus will be in sf wit her sister go veee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Dawntreader
Oct 29th, 2009, 09:42 PM

When did Davenport ever beat Venus in Slam finals? When did Capriati beat Venus at all in Slams? When did Henin prove her dominance over Venus in Slams? Pierce? Seles? The list goes on.

Granted Davenport beat Venus a few times in Slams as did Clijsters. Of course also, Serena's hegemony has never been disputed either. This isn't a derogatory distraction to place disrepute on other players, but Venus has certainly proved herself against every great player of her generation at Slams.

Although i do agree that post 2004, until 2005/07, Venus was not hitting great strides with the top players. There are issues to contend with there though (lack of form, intermittent and lengthy injuries).

VishaalMaria
Oct 29th, 2009, 09:42 PM

How so?

If thats true then why are/were their careers so inferior to Venus'?

Dodoboy.
Oct 29th, 2009, 09:43 PM
What's her losing streak at the moment? :rolls: :crying2:

Matt01
Oct 29th, 2009, 09:45 PM
How so?

If thats true then why are/were their careers so inferior to Venus'?

How is Lindsay's career "so inferior" to Venus? Lindsay's career beats Venus' career in practically everything except for numbers of Slams.

The Dawntreader
Oct 29th, 2009, 09:47 PM
How is Lindsay's career "so inferior" to Venus? Lindsay's career beats Venus' career in practically everything except for numbers of Slams.

That's a pretty big omission.

Though, of course 3 Slams is a tremendous achievment.

Matt01
Oct 29th, 2009, 09:48 PM
When did Davenport ever beat Venus in Slam finals? When did Capriati beat Venus at all in Slams? When did Henin prove her dominance over Venus in Slams? Pierce? Seles? The list goes on.

Granted Davenport beat Venus a few times in Slams as did Clijsters. Of course also, Serena's hegemony has never been disputed either. This isn't a derogatory distraction to place disrepute on other players, but Venus has certainly proved herself against every great player of her generation at Slams.

Although i do agree that post 2004, until 2005/07, Venus was not hitting great strides with the top players. There are issues to contend with there though (lack of form, intermittent and lengthy injuries).

Can you please stay on topic? This has nothing to do with "Venus' being being far superior than Kim's or Lindsay's best".

The Dawntreader
Oct 29th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Can you please stay on topic? This has nothing to do with "Venus' being being far superior than Kim's or Lindsay's best".

:confused:

Well the answer to the question is no. She's just beaten a top 3 player as we speak.

VishaalMaria
Oct 29th, 2009, 09:53 PM

FYI, number of slams counts for a heck of a lot.

Only a die hard Davenport fan or a die hard Venus hater would agree with you.

Matt01
Oct 29th, 2009, 09:59 PM
:confused:

Well the answer to the question is no. She's just beaten a top 3 player as we speak.

Oh yeah, she's just beaten a Top 3 player. That of course proves that Venus' best is "far superior" to anything that Lindsay, Kim and Jen show us :weirdo:

I don't know why I'm always falling into the same trap and always bother :rolleyes:

Matt01
Oct 29th, 2009, 10:01 PM
FYI, number of slams counts for a heck of a lot.

Only a die hard Davenport fan or a die hard Venus hater would agree with you.

Agree with what? That Lindsay's career stats are better than Venus' carrer stats in pretty much everything except for numbers of Slams won? Every sane person who isn't a totally deluded Venus fan (granted lots of them are posting here in GM) would agree with that.

The Dawntreader
Oct 29th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Oh yeah, she's just beaten a Top 3 player. That of course proves that Venus' best is "far superior" to anything that Lindsay, Kim and Jen show us :weirdo:

I don't know why I'm always falling into the same trap and always bother :rolleyes:

God Matt, i thought you meant the original OP's question. Chillax. :lol:

Venus has laced everyone of those players at some stage in her career.

Matt01
Oct 29th, 2009, 10:05 PM
God Matt, i thought you meant the original OP's question. Chillax. :lol:

Venus has laced everyone of those players at some stage in her career.

Sorry :lol:

But I still stand by my point that Venus' best isn't "far superior" to Lindsay's best. Maybe it's alittle bit better but not by far.

The Dawntreader
Oct 29th, 2009, 10:08 PM

But I still stand by my point that Venus' best isn't "far superior" to Lindsay's best. Maybe it's alittle bit better but not by far.

No, maybe far superior was an exageration, but the intangibles set them apart as well.

Big Match instincts swing entirely in Venus's favour.

AnywhereButHome
Oct 29th, 2009, 10:14 PM

Venus has 4 more singles slams than Lindsay has. So the only way Lindsay can be called better/equal to Venus is she wining 4/5 more slams ;) (the same as navratilova if she wants to be called better than Graf )

The Witch-king
Oct 29th, 2009, 10:15 PM
No, maybe far superior was an exageration, but the intangibles set them apart as well.

Big Match instincts swing entirely in Venus's favour.

Not to mention the ability to run

Matt01
Oct 29th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Not to mention the ability to run

Lindsay can run very well if she's in the right mood.

2Black
Oct 29th, 2009, 11:01 PM
oh, please, you have given lots of opinions , you arent some newbie poster. Everyone has one, nothing wrong with people discussing on a message board. Esp, when they make it clear by saying "Think" in their post. It's known that no one here(including you have any say so on her career)

get over yourself, you are no better than anyone here.

Now, you're frustrated so you can't stay on topic. :lol: Please find me the quote where I told ANY player what to do with their career. That's the topic. We aren't talking about someone thinking they are better than the other. Lawd, where did that come from! :tape:

Vlover
Oct 29th, 2009, 11:45 PM
I don't know why I'm always falling into the same trap and always bother
It is simple, stupid people keep saying stupid things and expect a different response.:help: Every sensible person knows your tennis career is judged 1st and foremost by the # of majors won.

CoolDude7
Oct 29th, 2009, 11:48 PM
Now, you're frustrated so you can't stay on topic. :lol: Please find me the quote where I told ANY player what to do with their career. That's the topic. We aren't talking about someone thinking they are better than the other. Lawd, where did that come from! :tape:

frustrated? please, i won't waste my time going through your old post to find an opinion AS i know there are many to choose from(as I obviously said 'I think' In my orginal post to which you felt the reason to get defensive(which means it's an opinion and not a fact)...

VishaalMaria
Oct 29th, 2009, 11:57 PM
It is simple, stupid people keep saying stupid things and expect a different response.:help: Every sensible person knows your tennis career is judged 1st and foremost by the # of majors won.

You know, the question that needs to be asked is "Why do we, Venus fans, fall into the same trap over and over again?" Matt01 is an obvious hater, therefore his judgement is clouded when it comes to discussing Venus as evidenced by the fact that he totally disacknowledged the singles slam tally between Venus and Lindsay.

Back on topic, Venus could have easily been 3-0 at this years YEC. She was up a set and 6-5 serving for the match against Elena, it wasnt meant to be, one point away from defeating Serena. So it's not as if Venus played both Serena and Elena and lost 6-1 6-2 respectively or anything. She had chances, chances she didnt benefit from.

Venus is not done. As long as shes winning, thats all that matters.

Noctis
Oct 30th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Lindsay can run very well if she's in the right mood.

Lindsay is a very good player

But give up Matt
Who are you fooling.Venus tonight destroyed the purpose of this thread.And your Hate supply :)

Chrissie-fan
Oct 30th, 2009, 12:42 AM
Nah, it's not "the end for Venus." She's still got two or three years of great tennis ahead of her if she really wants it. Whether that will result in more major titles remains to be seen because there are more serious contenders than major titles to be won. But I wouldn't rule out another Wimbledon title - or even one of the other majors. When she's on she can still beat anybody out there.

kellswater
Oct 30th, 2009, 12:51 AM
no

Matt01
Oct 30th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Lindsay is a very good player

But give up Matt
Who are you fooling.Venus tonight destroyed the purpose of this thread.And your Hate supply :)

You know, the question that needs to be asked is "Why do we, Venus fans, fall into the same trap over and over again?" Matt01 is an obvious hater, therefore his judgement is clouded when it comes to discussing Venus as evidenced by the fact that he totally disacknowledged the singles slam tally between Venus and Lindsay.

It's so sad. When the Venus fans are running out of arguments, they are again at their pathetic propaganda calling other people haters just because they are not always licking Venus' overrated ass. And yeah, obviously I'm very clouded in my judgement, unlike the oversensitive, deluded fans who are having Venus in their avatar; these people are of course totally fair and objective :lol:

Olórin
Oct 30th, 2009, 11:17 AM
You are a Venus hater Matt and you've admitted it before now. So be quiet and settle down now.

volta
Oct 30th, 2009, 11:19 AM
stop feeding the troll people, it's obviously an attention seeking whore nothing new here let's move on and stay on topic :o

Matt01
Oct 30th, 2009, 11:29 AM
stop feeding the troll people, it's obviously an attention seeking whore nothing new here let's move on and stay on topic :o

Staying on topic was what I was trying to do but the Venus fans weren't unable to read my posts properly and discussing the arguments with me :help:

The Witch-king
Feb 28th, 2010, 04:46 AM
she will find her way out of TOP 10 next year, with healthy Pova, Kim and Justine pushing into TOP 10 anyway...I guess she is reaching the crossroads of her career whether she wants to push herself even more or to become part time player:unsure:

she still seems very hungry for titles and wins so i wouldn't count her out Just yet ;)

Black Mamba.
Feb 28th, 2010, 04:50 AM
When are people going to learn?

Tech1
Feb 28th, 2010, 05:15 AM
When are people going to learn?

Never, keep proving them wrong, Vee!

V's a star
Feb 28th, 2010, 06:57 AM
:haha: @ Matt01 always looking like a goof.
"Lindsay can run.....When in the mood" :happy: Fans are deluded for having Venus in their avatar :help:

ZODIAC
Mar 2nd, 2010, 05:09 PM
Vee is enjoying the last laugh

AlejandroRuiz22
Mar 2nd, 2010, 05:16 PM
No, I dont think so! Venus has what it takes to remain one of the best tennis players in the universe. :)

Noctis
Mar 2nd, 2010, 05:24 PM
Staying on topic was what I was trying to do but the Venus fans weren't unable to read my posts properly and discussing the arguments with me :help:

What topic you talk about,One moment Lindsay ,next moment propaganda than the next Delusional fans.

Tennisstar86
Mar 2nd, 2010, 05:27 PM
What topic you talk about,One moment Lindsay ,next moment propaganda than the next Delusional fans.

:haha: he bad rep you yet? :haha:

CoolDude7
Mar 2nd, 2010, 05:34 PM
looking back on my orginal post, I think I was half right. The issue was with her stamina/fitness. It seems she has been working on that hard, and is ready to fight for not only the majors but for all events.

Matt01
Mar 2nd, 2010, 07:52 PM
:haha: he bad rep you yet? :haha:

No. But the next person who digs out an old post of mine and makes fun of it will be reported. :wavey:

Infiniti2001
Mar 2nd, 2010, 08:11 PM
No. But the next peron who digs out an old post of mine and makes fun of it will be reported. :wavey:

http://badadvice.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c94c853ef01116855aea2970c-800wi

Njay16
Mar 2nd, 2010, 08:27 PM

:haha:

Dodoboy.
Mar 2nd, 2010, 08:32 PM

:crying2: Too tired to laugh at this moment, but this is too funny!

Slutiana
Mar 2nd, 2010, 08:50 PM
:spit::haha:

Noctis
Mar 2nd, 2010, 09:02 PM

:hysteric: :haha: :spit: BabyMatt

DOUBLEFIST
Mar 2nd, 2010, 09:28 PM
No. But the next person who digs out an old post of mine and makes fun of it will be reported. :wavey:
Where in the rules can you not discuss the merits OR LACK THEREOF of a post?

Damn, I've made my share of bone-headed comments/predictions around here. :lol: I predicted that Sharapova would retire after Wimby last year. :lol: Hey, joke's on me. :shrug: Quit whining, be a good sport about it and take it on the chin.

DOUBLEFIST
Mar 2nd, 2010, 09:29 PM
:spit:

Matt01
Mar 2nd, 2010, 09:40 PM
Where in the rules can you not discuss the merits OR LACK THEREOF of a post?

Damn, I've made my share of bone-headed comments/predictions around here. :lol: I predicted that Sharapova would retire after Wimby last year. :lol: Hey, joke's on me. :shrug: Quit whining, be a good sport about it and take it on the chin.

Everyone is invited to laugh at my predictions, when they have failed (which they rarely have). I was talking about the things that were going far beyond ("trolling", "bad repping", "goof", "hatred"...you get the picture?).

And to Infinity+Friends: And as far as I know, there was already a certain thread closed because of picture-posting, so if you want to risk it...it's your choice.

Slutiana
Mar 2nd, 2010, 09:42 PM
Everyone is invited to laugh at my predictions, when they have failed (which they rarely have). I was talking about the things that were going far beyond ("trolling", "bad repping", "goof", "hatred"...you get the picture?).

And to Infinity+Friends: And as far as I know, there was already a certain thread closed because of picture-posting, so if you want to risk it...it's your choice.
:hug::awww:

Njay16
Mar 2nd, 2010, 09:42 PM

We wouldn't mind the thread being closed, since obviously it isn't relevant anymore(not that it ever was). Seems like you only want threads closed when the jokes on you.

Matt01
Mar 2nd, 2010, 09:46 PM
I think I've made my point clear and I'm not going to discuss this.

Njay16
Mar 2nd, 2010, 09:48 PM

Bye.

RickintoTennis
Mar 2nd, 2010, 09:53 PM
Read about Venus on

Thank you for this link poorsy...:):D:D

Noctis
Mar 2nd, 2010, 09:53 PM

Risking to close down a Stupid thread we hate why not :rolls:

Infiniti2001
Mar 2nd, 2010, 10:06 PM

Classic case of loves to give shit , but can't take shit :haha:

Tennisstar86
Mar 2nd, 2010, 10:07 PM
:haha: :haha::haha: :haha:

Shuji Shuriken
Mar 2nd, 2010, 10:21 PM
What an idiot :spit:.

Njay16
Mar 2nd, 2010, 10:27 PM
What an idiot :spit:.

You may be banned, hush! :secret:

Shuji Shuriken
Mar 2nd, 2010, 10:34 PM
You may be banned, hush! :secret:
For what? Stating the obvious :p?

jefrilibra
Mar 2nd, 2010, 10:37 PM
Pay no mind to that idiot!

As they say .... Empty vessels make the most noise!:rolls:

edificio
Mar 2nd, 2010, 10:56 PM
Yes. This is the end. She will announce her retirement at Indian Wells.

DOUBLEFIST
Mar 3rd, 2010, 12:13 AM
Everyone is invited to laugh at my predictions, when they have failed...

the next person who digs out an old post of mine and makes fun of it will be reported.

...oooOOkay.

Volcana
Mar 3rd, 2010, 12:48 AM
there was already a certain thread closed because of picture-posting, so if you want to risk it...it's your choice.Speaking as some who's been banned as least three times, and had enough threads deleted that I've lost count, why is that a risk? It's just a thread, not a doctoral thesis. If it gets deleted, so what? Especially since you, in your infinite generosity, will inevitably offer up more opportunities for ridicule.

"Matt01, the gift that keeps on giving."

(If you put that in your sig, cut me a check.)

Volcana
Mar 3rd, 2010, 12:58 AM
Back to the thread topic.

Venus is, I think, the oldest player in the top twenty. Players that age are battling chroinc injuries. Plus they get injured more, and heal slower. And if you make the YEC, you take maybe four weeks off, and it's back to training. Look now, it's barely March, and Venus is already strapping both legs. The talent and skill is still there, but physically, she might be better off playing a 13 tournament year.

Of couse, with what she makes in appearance fees, I'd be tempted to play fairly often too.

mykarma
Mar 3rd, 2010, 01:14 AM
Of all the fvcking people to start whining. If you didn't make such dumb ass post no one could bring them back up to kick you in your ass.

mykarma
Mar 3rd, 2010, 01:15 AM
:spit:
perfect

miffedmax
Mar 3rd, 2010, 02:27 AM
Yes. This is the end. She will announce her retirement at Indian Wells.

No, no, no. Not Indian Wells. She's going to commit seppuku, using a tennis racket, on center court at Miami.

Tennisstar86
Mar 3rd, 2010, 03:04 AM
Back to the thread topic.

Venus is, I think, the oldest player in the top twenty. Players that age are battling chroinc injuries. Plus they get injured more, and heal slower. And if you make the YEC, you take maybe four weeks off, and it's back to training. Look now, it's barely March, and Venus is already strapping both legs. The talent and skill is still there, but physically, she might be better off playing a 13 tournament year.

Of couse, with what she makes in appearance fees, I'd be tempted to play fairly often too.

Serena- 28 was strapped in Austrailia...as was Oudin- 18......

miffedmax
Mar 3rd, 2010, 03:16 AM
Serena- 28 was strapped in Austrailia...as was Oudin- 18......

And Lena D. has broken out those sexy compression pants already a couple of times this year...

bandabou
Mar 3rd, 2010, 07:04 AM
:lol: So Matt is saying that Lindsay is superior to Juju too, then? :eek: :bolt:

' Cause if Linds has Venus beat, then she has Juju beat too, no?

Matt01
Mar 3rd, 2010, 11:25 AM
...oooOOkay.

Maybe if you would have read the part that didn't contain your selective quoting, then maybe you would have understood. I'm not going to explain it again.

The person who insulted me twice has been reported and this is my last post in this thread.

Bye.

Shuji Shuriken
Mar 3rd, 2010, 12:03 PM
Maybe if you would have read the part that didn't contain your selective quoting, then maybe you would have understood. I'm not going to explain it again.

The person who insulted me twice has been reported and this is my last post in this thread.

Bye.
Bye sweetheart :kiss:...you'll be back though :hearts:.

Infiniti2001
Mar 3rd, 2010, 04:03 PM

Bye.

Tsk, tsk!! You go around disrupting threads, and when you start getting your ass kicked ,you run to the moderators with your tail between your legs :help: :lol:

sweetpeas
Mar 3rd, 2010, 07:06 PM
Right!Big loser...funny.

Craig.
Mar 3rd, 2010, 07:14 PM

Bye.

Coming from you :haha: Priceless :spit:

mykarma
Mar 3rd, 2010, 10:27 PM
...oooOOkay.

Coming from you :haha: Priceless :spit:
The mods are having a good laugh with that one.