PDA

View Full Version : Do you think grunting has to stop in tennis?

samsam4087
Oct 28th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Do you think grunting has to stop in tennis?

:confused::confused::confused:

http://www.tennisgrandstand.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/monica_seles_l.jpg

http://z.about.com/d/realitytv/1/0/2/Q/1/Monica_Seles.jpg

Caralenko
Oct 28th, 2009, 10:03 AM
:worship::worship::worship:

Craigy
Oct 28th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Has it pass its peak and will never win a slam?

Nikkiri
Oct 28th, 2009, 10:06 AM
:confused: :confused: :confused:

http://cdn-channels.netscape.com/cp/sports/pm/i/dementieva_2.jpg

WowWow
Oct 28th, 2009, 10:11 AM
:lol:

No!

Steff_forever
Oct 28th, 2009, 10:20 AM
maybe they should wear a sound absorber :tape:

winchester
Oct 28th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Stupid question and it won't stop :lol:

Julian.
Oct 28th, 2009, 10:53 AM
No

ElusiveChanteuse
Oct 28th, 2009, 10:55 AM
I love grunts.:hearts:

Sexysova
Oct 28th, 2009, 11:01 AM
definitely no

Miss Amor
Oct 28th, 2009, 11:05 AM
I dont like the mechanical grunts, but the real grunts show emotions in them, (Atleast I see that in Serena and Venus, you can tell exactly what they felt while hitting a shot).

So no, the grunting shouldn't stop.

jack21
Oct 28th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Grunting is fine, it is screaming/shreeking that has to stop :o.

tennnisfannn
Oct 28th, 2009, 01:54 PM
An off season thread, that and the Safina ranking/past her peak/Serena banning/and we can revisit our insults to Larry Scott!

Привет
Oct 28th, 2009, 01:57 PM
WWW Peak Shriek vs Peak Grunt???

volta
Oct 28th, 2009, 02:00 PM
if your MLDB yes

AleOrtu
Oct 28th, 2009, 04:01 PM
No way, let them grunt, and whisper, and then scream when they are victim of a winner shot.

IMPOSSIBLE
Oct 28th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Azarenka's grunt is getting really annoying vs. Wozniacki.

fufuqifuqishahah
Oct 28th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Grunting = $$$$

Think about the # of commercials and songs that have been made from tennis grunting.

Think about the # of fans tennis has gained from tennis grunting.

Think about the # of commercials and songs that have been made specifically for lack of grunting.

Think about the # of fans that have been lost from tennis grunting.

fufuqifuqishahah
Oct 28th, 2009, 04:22 PM
No way, let them grunt, and whisper, and then scream when they are victim of a winner shot.

OMG that would be so amazing if they each had mics on and you could literally hear certain players whisper crazy shit to themselves during points. maybe you'll find out that aga practicing some witchcraft during points and bartoli whispering "cake, cake , cake,mmm mcake cake, must have some cake"

thegreendestiny
Oct 28th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Do you think SamSpam has to stop in wtaworld? :confused:

madmax
Oct 28th, 2009, 04:50 PM
the only reason I endure watching WTA matches is for some wicked grunting, it just makes things a little bit more entertaining..

MaBaker
Oct 28th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Yes. They should barely breathe.

samsam4087
Oct 29th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Do you think SamSpam has to stop in wtaworld? :confused:

No, I don't think so.

:worship::worship::worship:

Apoleb
Oct 29th, 2009, 07:42 AM
omg, I so clicked on this thread only to check out the photos, and Samsam delivers again.

MBM
Oct 29th, 2009, 07:47 AM
my two fave players are francy and venus...

pov
Oct 27th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Bump!

frenchie
Oct 27th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Azarenka, Sharapova and that portugese player's grunt have to stop!
I'm talking about abusive grunting.

John.
Oct 27th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Shrieking - Yes

ElusiveChanteuse
Oct 27th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Shrieking - Yes

+1.

If just grunts normally, it's still tolerable for me. Like Djokovic's.

pov
Oct 27th, 2011, 05:55 PM
The only grunting that I disliked was Azarenka's and that's only because it's such a long sound. The volume never bothered me. And by now I'm used to it. It's sport, it's athletic and to be concerned about the sounds an athlete makes when hitting the ball seems ridiculous. Many people seem to want tennis matches to be like church socials.

No1Curr
Oct 27th, 2011, 06:42 PM
No and it is never going to. Deal with it.

rechi
Oct 27th, 2011, 07:31 PM
no...

edificio
Oct 27th, 2011, 07:34 PM
The genie is out of the bottle. Grunting loudly will not stop any time soon, if ever.

Gdsimmons
Oct 27th, 2011, 07:40 PM
I see nothing wrong with grunting. When you're using your energy like that and are intense I see no issue. Its the full on shrieking as if you're giving birth thats annoying. Also when someonecoughAzarenka shrieks on like a slice or dropshot its like really? But how can you combat that? Idk

miffedmax
Oct 27th, 2011, 08:21 PM
To be fair, we must apply logic to this problem. Now, some will argue that grunting is a hindrance and annoying to spectators. Others will say that players who grunt do so to help with their breathing and striking of the ball, and to not allow them to grunt is unfair and discriminatory. So we must concede that here, both sides have valid, logical points.

Therefore, we must move to a higher level, and combine logic with ethics. Thus we arrive at the following argument:

1. Lena grunted.
2. Lena is without flaw
3. Since Lena is without flaw, grunting is in no way a flaw
4. Since grunting is not a flaw, it is not a hindrance
5. Because if it were a hindrance Lena would have been cheating
6. If Lena cheated, she would have been flawed
7. But Lena is without flaw, therefore she never cheated even though she grunted
8. Lena is adorable with bangs.

I think we can all agree the last point is especially compelling.

Petkovic
Oct 27th, 2011, 08:26 PM
No and it is never going to. Deal with it.

+1

thrust
Oct 27th, 2011, 08:40 PM
YES! Some grunting is understandable, but screeching like: Vica, Maria, Venus, and some others needs to stop.

Cajka
Oct 27th, 2011, 08:50 PM
+1.

If just grunts normally, it's still tolerable for me. Like Djokovic's.

Guys grunt, they don't shriek. Imagine them shrieking. :spit:

LgxU0JuLAlQ&feature=related
SRpYQ7ifL9s&feature=related

Miss Amor
Oct 27th, 2011, 09:02 PM
I jizz everytime Serena does her 'authority grunt' when she puts away the ball for a winner.

gulzhan
Oct 27th, 2011, 09:10 PM
YES! Some grunting is understandable, but screeching like: Vica, Maria, Venus, and some others needs to stop.

Very smart. And who will decide which exactly "some", you? :ras:

Watch Zvonareva vs Radwanska right now :worship: Great fight in the end of the match and BOTH girls started grunting and shrieking. Should umpire stop the match now? Penalize one of the players?

This is one of the most idiotic discussions WTA started. Says something about the people who run it. Time for a big change in WTA management! :devil:

Galina's Scowl
Oct 27th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Azarenka should have her vocal cords cut.

Keadz
Oct 27th, 2011, 11:08 PM
How did Azarenka come up with her sound?

I can't imagine her picking up a tennis racquet, playing and randomly coming out with some weird siren groan. Its clearly forced and she has put a lot of thought into how to make it as annoying as possible.

Vikapower
Oct 27th, 2011, 11:14 PM

I can't imagine her picking up a tennis racquet, playing and randomly coming out with some weird siren groan. Its clearly forced and she has put a lot of thought into how to make it as annoying as possible.

None sense. If it was annoying let's say the public in the ossie open stadium for example would be complaining about it.

Macomere
Oct 27th, 2011, 11:15 PM
gosh no, it makes matches more exciting :cheer: just imagine if the 2005 AO Semi between Rena/Maria was totally silent :unsure:

BluSthil
Oct 27th, 2011, 11:53 PM
I don't think grunting has to stop, but the shrieking from people like Sharapova and Vika are over the top. A player can protest, but none have so far.

Keadz
Oct 28th, 2011, 02:25 AM
None sense. If it was annoying let's say the public in the ossie open stadium for example would be complaining about it.

They wouldn't complain, they would laugh at it and mock her. (which they have)

I was referring to her 'sound' being annoying for the opponent though.

sammy01
Oct 28th, 2011, 02:31 AM
i really have grown to hate it. to think seles got stick in her day when now her grunt is like a love song compared to some of the high pitched squeals we have to endure.

a line was crossed ages ago, i highly doubt the wta has the balls to do anything radical to change it.

StoneRose
Oct 28th, 2011, 03:46 AM
In the end it needs to be stopped, not right now.

StoneRose
Oct 28th, 2011, 03:53 AM

I can't imagine her picking up a tennis racquet, playing and randomly coming out with some weird siren groan. Its clearly forced and she has put a lot of thought into how to make it as annoying as possible. I can't see why you single out Vika here. She's not worse than others. Also unlike others she has given an explanation why she does it. It's up to you to believe that explanation, i don't claim to be sure about all these things either. But if it's a problem than it's a problem with >50% of the current WTA population.

Keadz
Oct 28th, 2011, 04:02 AM
Her sound is a lot more un natural in terms of physical effort than most players. In fact I've never heard someone make a sound close to it in my life.

Not denying there are other players worse, but they are mostly the same or similar to other girls on the tour.

Jane Lane
Oct 28th, 2011, 04:07 AM
Her sound is a lot more un natural in terms of physical effort than most players. In fact I've never heard someone make a sound close to it in my life.

Not denying there are other players worse, but they are mostly the same or similar to other girls on the tour.

It's personal opinion. I consider Pova, Fran and Errani's sounds unnatural. :shrug:

Rex59
Oct 28th, 2011, 04:39 AM
First, you can't stop grunting. It's a natural expression of sound from the mouth of the expense of energy when performing in sports or lifting heavy objects. It's purely an innate act. On topic, tho', stopping grunting in tennis depends on the type of grunt. A normal grunt sounds like a brief "uh", as one is exhaling, not stretched out into a prolonged shriek or shrill, like Maria's and Vika's grunts, which also includes the girl from Portugal. One of the greatest grunts in tennis, tolerable and even likeable, was "Guga's" grunt. His grunt was one of the aspects of his talent I actually enjoyed. None of his opponents, nor attendees at events were ever offended by it. However, imo, the grunts of 'Pova, Vika and De Brito are contrived. It is annoying to some after awhile, though, personally it doesn't bother me.

cowsonice
Oct 28th, 2011, 04:43 AM
Considering how I've grown up with the grunting, I can't imagine women's tennis without grunting. In fact, it's become white noise to me. :o