FaceyFacem
Oct 27th, 2009, 11:28 PM
I'm surprised! http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=4600369

Galsen
Oct 27th, 2009, 11:29 PM
OMG no Vee :o

frenchie
Venus needs rest anyway (Serena too BTW)
But playing one more week on clay won't do any good to Venus' current play

SAEKeithSerena
eeek.

darrinbaker00
You obviously haven't seen Venus play lately.

hankqq
Oct 27th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Venus :( but i'm sure she has a valid reason for not playing :shrug: after her results these last few months, taking a rest seems to be the right thing to do :)
(and before anyone says "yeah she doesn't want to lose to pennetta again" just remember acapulco final :angel: :p )

frenchie
Oct 27th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Venus was probably not selected for singles
lol

Uranium
Oct 27th, 2009, 11:31 PM
WOW, I am fully shocked that Serena will be playing without Venus. Good Luck to Team USA:rocker2:

darrinbaker00
Oct 27th, 2009, 11:33 PM
Venus :( but i'm sure she has a valid reason for not playing :shrug: after her results these last few months, taking a rest seems to be the right thing to do :)
(and before anyone says "yeah she doesn't want to lose to pennetta again" just remember acapulco final :angel: :p )
Why are you assuming it was Venus' choice not to be on the team? The way she's been playing lately, I wouldn't be surprised if Mary Joe Fernandez just didn't pick her.

ys
Oct 27th, 2009, 11:34 PM
I understand, playing Fed Cup earns points now. Serena might need few..:) Of course, should she win WTF , she'll withdraw..

darrinbaker00
WOW, I am fully shocked that Serena will be playing without Venus. Good Luck to Team USA:rocker2:
I am fully shocked that Serena is playing two years before she has to. :eek:

FaceyFacem
Yeah, i think my surprise is that there would be one without the other, especially since Venus has at least defeated Pennetta on clay this year where Schiavone beat Serena... PLUS doubles would be a lock with the two of them... I wonder if Serena will play with Liezel should it come down to the 5th rubber?

Uranium
Oct 27th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Why are you assuming it was Venus' choice not to be on the team? The way she's been playing lately, I wouldn't be surprised if Mary Joe Fernandez just didn't pick her.

And chose Melanie who is sick and has the same record post USO as Venus?

spiceboy
Oct 27th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Serena/Huber must be the most random doubles partnership ever :haha:

Uranium
Oct 27th, 2009, 11:37 PM
Serena needs to win both singles rubbers for us to have a chance because Alexa is in bad form and Mel is sick and in bad form.

darrinbaker00
Oct 27th, 2009, 11:40 PM
Yeah, i think my surprise is that there would be one without the other, especially since Venus has at least defeated Pennetta on clay this year where Schiavone beat Serena... PLUS doubles would be a lock with the two of them... I wonder if Serena will play with Liezel should it come down to the 5th rubber?
Well, seeing as how Serena is the only other player on the team with an appreciable amount of doubles experience, there's no need to wonder about that scenario. My question is, why Alexa Glatch instead of Bethanie Mattek-Sands? She and Huber already have one live fifth-rubber victory under their belt; if it comes down to that again, Huber's going to have to play with yet another new partner. Granted, that partner would be Serena, but still.....

Stamp Paid
Oct 27th, 2009, 11:40 PM
Oh Geez.
I hope she has the motivation to carry this team :lol:
Itll be a glorious victory if she could pull it off though

Uranium
Oct 27th, 2009, 11:42 PM
Well, seeing as how Serena is the only other player on the team with an appreciable amount of doubles experience, there's no need to wonder about that scenario. My question is, why Alexa Glatch instead of Bethanie Mattek-Sands? She and Huber already have one live fifth-rubber victory under their belt; if it comes down to that again, Huber's going to have to play with yet another new partner. Granted, that partner would be Serena, but still.....

Because Beth hasn't played since Quebec.

darrinbaker00
Oct 27th, 2009, 11:43 PM
And chose Melanie who is sick and has the same record post USO as Venus?
The same Melanie who has already won a "win or else" Fed Cup match this year, yes.

darrinbaker00
Oct 27th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Oh Geez.
I hope she has the motivation to carry this team :lol:
Itll be a glorious victory if she could pull it off though
Why wouldn't she? The mere fact that she's breaking her "minimum commitment for Olympic eligibility" pattern should tell you something about her motivation. It sure ain't for the money.

darrinbaker00
Oct 27th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Because Beth hasn't played since Quebec.
When was the last time Glatch played?

Uranium
Oct 27th, 2009, 11:57 PM
When was the last time Glatch played?

Moscow. She is spent from the season though.

SAEKeithSerena
Oct 28th, 2009, 01:15 AM
i'm sure venus told her she wasn't interested in playing...top ten woman>melanie oudin

LightWarrior
Oct 28th, 2009, 01:24 AM
I'm pretty sure Serena plays because of the USO outburst. It's part of the deal with the ITF for not being banned from OA.

pov
Oct 28th, 2009, 01:28 AM
I'm not. Not after watching her today. She isn't feeling the fire right now.

simonsaystennis
Oct 28th, 2009, 02:44 AM
Well if Serena gives it her all, then Team USA has a good shot. :)
Rest up Venus :hug:

miffedmax
Oct 28th, 2009, 03:47 AM
The same Melanie who has already won a "win or else" Fed Cup match this year, yes.

So has Big Al. In fact, Big Al won two, in the same fixture.
http://www.tennisweek.com/news/fullstory.sps?inewsid=6631441

She may not have the bangs of a goddess, but she can serve. Big Al and Little Sis will do just fine for the USA.

Wannabeknowitall
Oct 28th, 2009, 03:56 AM
Venus is the one without injuries while likely Serena's ankle will get worse.

I really hope I'm wrong because they will need Serena for FED CUP.
Venus doesn't match up very well with Flavia on clay and Schiavone could also beat her in her form.

Serena looked good today and if she can wait for her opportunity on clay, she has a chance to beat either player.

Wawrinka's ass.

darrinbaker00
Oct 28th, 2009, 04:04 AM
So has Big Al. In fact, Big Al won two, in the same fixture.
http://www.tennisweek.com/news/fullstory.sps?inewsid=6631441

She may not have the bangs of a goddess, but she can serve. Big Al and Little Sis will do just fine for the USA.
I'm not saying Glatch doesn't deserve to be there, Max; in fact, I think she deserves to be there more than Serena. My point is that since Mattek-Sands won the deciding doubles rubber with Liezel Huber in the semis, she should be on the team just in case it comes down to that against Italy.

In The Zone
Oct 28th, 2009, 05:45 AM
Surprising!

Serena needs to come up big and win both rubbers, then partner with Liezel FTW.

GO AMERICA!

Roookie
Oct 28th, 2009, 06:20 AM
Wow...Serena going for the YEC title, number one (singles and doubles) and Fed Cup USA hero. Nice.