PDA

View Full Version : Stands are semi empty? Tonight?!?!?

tenn_ace
Oct 27th, 2009, 07:02 PM
And that's when Williams sisters are playing, the player in the best form, the beauty, the most exciting youngster and the drama queen? :eek::eek::eek:
Then what to expect tomorrow?

Ferg
Oct 27th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Its Doha, what do you expect? I doubt even last years final was full.

Julian.
Oct 27th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Just wait for Bali :spit:

Slutiana
Oct 27th, 2009, 07:04 PM
It's WTA, what do you expect? I doubt they've ever had a full crowd in the last 4 years.

tenn_ace
Oct 27th, 2009, 07:06 PM
I bet put this tournament to London or Moscow and the stands will be full

Slutiana
Oct 27th, 2009, 07:08 PM
I bet it wouldn't...

BuTtErFrEnA
Oct 27th, 2009, 07:09 PM
it's nothing to do with the players :shrug: some places just don't pull a tennis crowd

tenn_ace
Oct 27th, 2009, 07:11 PM
then why a tennis tournament like this is held in the place like this? it should be a privilege to host this tournament

Uranium
Oct 27th, 2009, 07:12 PM
then why a tennis tournament like this is held in the place like this? it should be a privilege to host this tournament

$$$

sammy01
Oct 27th, 2009, 07:17 PM
its pathetic, the WTA try and build the YEC up as something great, but if theres zero atmosphere, crap tennis and a odd feeling with it being outdoors at night, then its got no chance of being anything bar the butt of the joke that has been the WTA all year.

TheAllan
Oct 27th, 2009, 07:19 PM
It looks surprisingly well-attended.

I bet put this tournament to London or Moscow and the stands will be full
Moscow?

BuTtErFrEnA
Oct 27th, 2009, 07:21 PM

its the same thing as the asian swing :shrug: it's the wta trying to make women's tennis "global" but forgetting that certain places just won't pull a crowd...the tournaments that did they have moved off the schedule or downgraded, and the places that could possibly give a good-great crowd for yec they ignore in their efforts to now involve asia and the middle east

BuTtErFrEnA
Oct 27th, 2009, 07:22 PM
It looks surprisingly well-attended.

Moscow?

tonight is well attended for the 1st night...the amount of people there would make a great atmosphere but right now the matches are a bit of a dud :shrug:

Max565
Oct 27th, 2009, 07:29 PM
The matches are pretty crap and some countries just don't give a shit about tennis I'm afraid.

They should move it back to MSG in New York... It probably won't dramatically increase sales but still, at least it has history of tennis.

laurie
Oct 27th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Utterly disappointing seeing that Serena is playing Sveta in a night match and the crowd is so poor.

Two years ago the crwods in Madrid were great and the ticket prices were extremely reasonable. I paid 25 euros for a round robin session which had 3 matches plus only 33 euros for the final between Henin and Sharapova. The atmsphere at the Recinto Ferial Casa de Campo was terrific and was absolutely electric for the final.

I wanted to go back to Madrid in 2008 but of course it went to Doha instead. Madrid hosted the event for 2 years in 2006 and 2007 and it was great, what a shame it moved so soon. And besides the 2007 final what about the fabolous matches in 2006 between Henin and Mauresmo and the semi betwen Mauresmo and Clisjters played before a great crowd??

We know that they are playing in Doha for the money offered but this is quite shameful, the WTA should be ashamed about this. I hope that the tournament will be moved from Doha next year to give the WTA some much needed credibility. Don't forget last year in Doha some matches were played in crazily windy conditions. This is their flagship tournament!

Also, I would have thought the players would prefer to play in front of full crowds and an energetic atmospere as well.

BournemouthBoy
Oct 27th, 2009, 08:10 PM
ticket prices, i was offered a event pass for £800, ikept my money in my pcoket like most other fans.

~{X}~
Oct 27th, 2009, 08:10 PM
In 2011 the event moves to Istanbul... lets see if it will be better there? :shrug:

But honestly the YEC haven't been full since they moved from Madison Square Garden back in 2000.

They should just bring it back there.

SAEKeithSerena
Oct 27th, 2009, 08:12 PM
they just said they are fuller than the 1st night last year

ys
Oct 27th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Russian anouncers are joking, that in China it used to be the same. But then in this kind of situations they started to fill stands with soldiers, workers from factories, schoolchildren, so it would not look that bad.. :)

!Gio!
Oct 27th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Doha is a pathetic choice, what does that place have to do with tennis? Nothing that's what its all about getting more money, who pays the most. It doesn't not matter anymore whats best for the fans or the tennis players it all about who gives the most money and that's just sad!!!

!Gio!
Oct 27th, 2009, 08:18 PM
I am sure if they are given enough money they would move the event to Alaska and have the players dress in Eskimo dresses. Fill the stadiums with polar bears and penguins to make it seem more full.

BournemouthBoy
Oct 27th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Doha is a pathetic choice, what does that place have to do with tennis? Nothing that's what its all about getting more money, who pays the most. It doesn't not matter anymore whats best for the fans or the tennis players it all about who gives the most money and that's just sad!!!

well said, how can a tournement as big as this have no fans, especially as the venue is only using 1 stadium/court, bizarre!

Vanity Bonfire
Oct 27th, 2009, 08:24 PM
It's a shame that the WTA have forsaken some great events such as Leipzig, Philadelphia Zurich and San Diego in recent years for the complete boredom of places like Doha and Dubai in which nobody wants to watch the tennis.

Apoleb
Oct 27th, 2009, 08:29 PM
The location, the stands...etc are totally fitting for the current status of the SEWTA. Having said that, this is a pretty good match.

BournemouthBoy
Oct 27th, 2009, 08:31 PM
and the people that are their watching don't look local, all on holiday!

tenn_ace
Oct 27th, 2009, 08:31 PM
The location, the stands...etc are totally fitting for the current status of the SEWTA. Having said that, this is a pretty good match.

I don't want to turn this into a scoring thread, but what match are you watching?

tenn_ace
Oct 27th, 2009, 08:38 PM
the stands are now COMPLETELY empty.

BuTtErFrEnA
Oct 27th, 2009, 08:45 PM
I am sure if they are given enough money they would move the event to Alaska and have the players dress in Eskimo dresses. Fill the stadiums with polar bears and penguins to make it seem more full.

hey hey I love polar bears :(

BuTtErFrEnA
Oct 27th, 2009, 08:46 PM
I don't want to turn this into a scoring thread, but what match are you watching?

the serena sveta match is actually good...not classic but good...and it would be better if there were people in the stands to give atmosphere :shrug:

and have you seen the time???? they are 7 hrs ahead of me making it going midnight there if my math is right...this isn't a slam like the us open or ao where die hard tennis fans fill a stadium for their fave at all obscene hours...

Apoleb
Oct 27th, 2009, 08:53 PM
:lol:

"So Ladies and Gentlemen, let's hear it for Serena Williams!!"

*birds singing*

BuTtErFrEnA
Oct 27th, 2009, 08:56 PM
because birds love serena too :rolleyes: always so pessimistic :p

ys
Oct 27th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Yeah, Arabs and tennis are only married via money. There is no other connection.

mure
Oct 27th, 2009, 09:12 PM
For most Doha residents it's harraam to watch kufaar women with little clothing on playing a sport.Maybe if the players were wearin niqabs most fans would turn out to the stadium.

AnnaK_4ever
Oct 27th, 2009, 09:22 PM
You all are just pitiful whiners. According to Allaster, 2009 has been the best season in the WTA history :wavey:

KournikovaFan91
Oct 27th, 2009, 09:34 PM
This isn't a player issue, the WTA has sold out again to big money in countries with zero tennis fans. Although all sports have to some extent, its disgraceful that Women's tennis have, I know Qatar isn't as extreme as the UAE but really I don't think the WTA should be in countries were women aren't always regarded as equal with men.

If these champs were in the O2 lik the Men's the stands would be full.

!Gio!
Oct 27th, 2009, 09:36 PM
hey hey I love polar bears :(

I like them too just hope I wont see any in the stands :tape:

Slutiana
Oct 27th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Oh it is a player issue. :lol:

darrinbaker00
Oct 27th, 2009, 11:20 PM
You do realize this is PROFESSIONAL tennis we're talking about, right?

Patrick345
Oct 27th, 2009, 11:48 PM
You do realize this is PROFESSIONAL tennis we're talking about, right?

You also realize the sponsors aren´t Santa Clause.If nobody is watching, they will stop supporting tennis and look for the next big thing.

Denise4925
Oct 28th, 2009, 12:35 AM
Doha is dead. There is no energy in the stands. They don't even seem to know when to clap. I don't see how the players get pumped up to go out there. They seem listless as well because so far, it's an error fest. :rolleyes:

Glad Serena pulled through though. :)

hdfb
Oct 28th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Yeah Doha just isn't the place for tennis. They should try move it back to America or Australia. :lol:

W!MBLEDON
Oct 28th, 2009, 12:52 AM
And that's when Williams sisters are playing, the player in the best form, the beauty, the most exciting youngster and the drama queen? :eek::eek::eek:
Then what to expect tomorrow?

get a grip

thegreendestiny
Oct 28th, 2009, 01:07 AM
Well, that's what money can buy. Qatar has poor appreciation for tennis but decided to hold the YEC there so they can have something to brag about. :o

mr_burns
Oct 28th, 2009, 01:53 AM
there are place where an event like this would be sold out (I mean the CC is not even big, I think 5000).

Antwerp, Belgrad,...if the right one qualifies...or let's play in Stuttgart and forget about the clay in april!
don't need to go back to NY, they already have a slam

I guess it's pretty dissapointing for the players as well, and they have to behave like they don't recognize otherwise SE will kill them

darrinbaker00
Oct 28th, 2009, 03:21 AM
Doha is dead. There is no energy in the stands. They don't even seem to know when to clap. I don't see how the players get pumped up to go out there. They seem listless as well because so far, it's an error fest. :rolleyes:

Glad Serena pulled through though. :)
When they think of the $1.55 million and 1600 ranking points, De, they get pumped up to go out there. You know that.

PhilePhile
Oct 28th, 2009, 03:36 AM
It's a shame that the WTA have forsaken some great events such as Leipzig, Philadelphia Zurich and San Diego in recent years for the complete boredom of places like Doha and Dubai in which nobody wants to watch the tennis.

Those are great cities. There is just one problem, a big one - the high costs of doing business.

hellas719
Oct 28th, 2009, 03:48 AM
I think it's nice to bring tennis to a place where there isn't much tennis, but when no one comes, then it completely defeats the purpose :o

tenn_ace
Oct 28th, 2009, 07:17 AM
get a grip

quiet please

dreamgoddess099
Oct 28th, 2009, 10:19 AM
$$$

Exactly, the players are going to be well paid regardless of tickets sold and that's the way it should be. Their job is to show up and play. Sure it makes women' tennis look better if the stands are full, but the tour's main concern is that the players are paid well. I doubt the tour is ever going to take the championships anyplace where the stands are full, but the players don't make as much.

dreamgoddess099
Oct 28th, 2009, 10:25 AM
You also realize the sponsors aren´t Santa Clause.If nobody is watching, they will stop supporting tennis and look for the next big thing.

The tournament makes money from ticket sells. The sponsors make their money from people watching on TV. There are always far more people watching on TV than in the stands so the sponsors will be fine.

BuTtErFrEnA
Oct 28th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Exactly, the players are going to be well paid regardless of tickets sold and that's the way it should be. Their job is to show up and play. Sure it makes women' tennis look better if the stands are full, but the tour's main concern is that the players are paid well. I doubt the tour is ever going to take the championships anyplace where the stands are full, but the players don't make as much.

and THAT'S how you hold on to sponsors and gain future sponsors...players and their paycheque depend on the millions sponsors have been pumping into the sport, but if sponsors don't see people in the stands or if tv ratings aren't satisfactory then they may feel that the money they are paying for all their advertising isn't reaching a good audience....leads to sponsors pulling out and future ones not investing...where do the big cheques come from then?

BuTtErFrEnA
Oct 28th, 2009, 11:46 AM
The tournament makes money from ticket sells. The sponsors make their money from people watching on TV. There are always far more people watching on TV than in the stands so the sponsors will be fine.

recent tv ratings say otherwise...

BartoliBabes
Oct 28th, 2009, 12:13 PM
i think it should be moved personally

Dave.
Oct 28th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Definitely needs to be moved, though we knew this from last year. Madrid was probably the best venue since it moved from MSG. I'd be happy for it to go back there. There just isn't an audience in Doha.

I feel sorry for the likes of Azarenka. Plays all this time in aiming to get to a YEC and it turns out there were probably more people at her Wimbledon matches on Court 3 than there are at the YEC. This is supposed to be the WTA's main tournament. I think I'll just stop watching after the US Open if things continue like this. The scheduling has been a shambles all year, but even more since the USO.

Officinale
Oct 28th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Oh my. Wozniacki vs. Azarenka, and only a few people are there. That's embarassing :o I kinda feel sorry for the players :lol:

Andreas
Oct 28th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Apparently, there's sold-out in Doha. The people who bought the tickets are just not showing up :tape:

Beat
Oct 28th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Madrid hosted the event for 2 years in 2006 and 2007 and it was great, what a shame it moved so soon.

agreed.

fufuqifuqishahah
Oct 28th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Apparently, there's sold-out in Doha. The people who bought the tickets are just not showing up :tape:

they found out they bought tickets to a women's tennis exhibition, not a woman's exhibition of her body

RR always seems to be empty. maybe it will get a little bit busier sf and f.