PDA

View Full Version : WTA trying to increase Canadian followers: Are they doing the wrong things?

¤CharlDa¤
Oct 27th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Women's tennis in Canada is slowly getting back to being quite strong. With 6 players in the top 200 right now, the oldest not even 23, we are in a Golden Age of Canadian tennis compared with the past years. On the other hand, in Canada, women's tennis (or tennis in general) is receiving little tv air time and attention.

Aleksandra Wozniak, who is easily the best canadian on the tour since the 90s, has been receiving a lot of attention on the WTA tour website. She is consistently featured in videos on the website (one of her in Moscow can be seen right now, she also went sumo wrestling with Caro, etc). Compared to some other players who are ranked between 30 and 40, she is definitely seen quite more regularly in promotional videos, pictures or events.

I personally think the goal of the WTA with promoting Aleks is to gain advantage on the Canadian public and get them interested in women's tennis. This is a natural and logical thing to do, and it might be working, but one need to remember that people who are visiting the WTA website are probably already interested in the game.

Do you think this is actually working? I personnally think that it's great that Canadian tennis is receiving more attention on the pro tour, but the issue right now is that we just never have the chance to see our girls, as well as women's tennis, on TV. What's going on right now? The YEC. What are we gonna see of it in Canada? Nothing. How can the WTA expect to gain Canadian attention when they can't even promote their product on mainstream tv?

pov
Oct 27th, 2009, 04:46 PM
I agree. Imagine if people had to pay to watch the NFL, MLB, NBA!!! Increasing the free coverage would at least stand a chance of helping increase the tennis fan-base.

Havok
Oct 27th, 2009, 04:53 PM
SportsNet used to show the Tier I events from I believe the QF or SF onwards. The last time they did that, however was in 2001. TSN always shows the TMS events the full week; European TMS events get only 1 aired match while the likes of Indian Wells and Miami are on TV the full 2 weeks. Obviously almost every single match of the Roger's cup is aired on tv since it is a Canadian event.

So pretty much everytime tennis is on TV, it is either a mens only event, or a joint event which means hardly no WTA matches on TV. Only the Roger's Cup as well as the Bell Challenge (I believe QF onwards) are the only WTA events shown on TV. ESPN does a pretty decent job showing the other American events during the clay season and summer hardcourt season, but we don't get to see that. Funny, though, since TSN always used ESPN coverage (TMS events are shown thanks to ESPN, not too sure which one though) so technically they CAN show these tournaments but decide not to.

Also it would be nice if The Tennis Channel was offered by every cable company. Heck Videotron doesn't even offer it and it, along with Bell, are the two big cable companies.:shrug:

¤CharlDa¤
Oct 27th, 2009, 05:09 PM
The Bell Challenge, in the past few years, had the finals presented live ONLY on the local network of the Quebec City region, and at times shown late in November, a month after it was played, on TSN.

As for Sportsnet, those were the old days.

Havok
Oct 27th, 2009, 05:41 PM
The Bell Challenge, in the past few years, had the finals presented live ONLY on the local network of the Quebec City region, and at times shown late in November, a month after it was played, on TSN.

As for Sportsnet, those were the old days.
Dunno I haven't really watched the Bell Challenge in a while. The last time I did, though, was When Sharapova won it. I remember watching at least the semifinals on Saturday. Guess they just show the finals now since it doesn't attract too many of the bigger names.:shrug:

SportsNet should die.:D

canuckfan
Oct 27th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Blame the CRTC. If it wasn't for their rules about canadian content, we would have Eurosport or the Tennis Channel.

You also have to blame channels like TSN, RDS or Sportsnet. 99% of their ratings/revenues come from hockey. Why would they buy the rights for international sporting events when they can just show darts, poker and fishing and probably get the same ratings.

Frankly I don't think the WTA cares that much about Canada. And why would they? It's small market. They probably know that even if they don't do anything, the Rogers Cup will still get 160 000+ spectators...

V's a star
Oct 27th, 2009, 05:51 PM
well some actual tv coverage wud help

¤CharlDa¤
Oct 27th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Blame the CRTC. If it wasn't for their rules about canadian content, we would have Eurosport or the Tennis Channel.

You also have to blame channels like TSN, RDS or Sportsnet. 99% of their ratings/revenues come from hockey. Why would they buy the rights for international sporting events when they can just show darts, poker and fishing and probably get the same ratings.

Frankly I don't think the WTA cares that much about Canada. And why would they? It's small market. They probably know that even if they don't do anything, the Rogers Cup will still get 160 000+ spectators...

RDS and TSN are businesses. Rights to tennis are hyper expensive, and they don't get the audience to explain those expenses. I'm sure they would prefer to show tennis instead of poker and darts, isn't it the role of the WTA to make those TV rights accessible?

Ok, then if the WTA doesn't care that much about the WTA, and I'm not saying that in a bad way, why are they putting Aleks into the spotlight as much? Why not other upcoming, top 50 players, from anywhere else around the world?

Ferg
Oct 27th, 2009, 06:16 PM
I dont know whether it says more about me of the recent board threads but i read this as "WTA trying to increase Canadian flowers: Are they doing the wrong things?" :hysteric:

Atrixo
Oct 27th, 2009, 07:55 PM
I miss the days of WTSN, the short-lived, women's-only sports channel. :sad:

They would show WTA tournaments all the time, large and small. I remember watching the Nordea Nordic Light tournament on it, and I was like "WTF?". Prior to that, I had only ever seen the Slams and the Roger's Cup on my TV screen. So to see a small, Tier IV tournament was eye-opening. :eek:

If they ever decided to bring back or create a women's sports channel, you can bet that tennis would be one of the feature sports.