PDA

View Full Version : Robson Joins Murray for British Team At Hopman Cup!

Dani12
Oct 27th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Murray confirmed for Hopman Cup XXII
Joseph Sapienza
October 27, 2009 - 3:03PM

The Hopman Cup's worst kept secret was confirmed today when Great Britain's Andy Murray was confirmed as a player in the 22nd edition of the mixed doubles tournament Cup in 2010.

Despite Murray's world number four ranking, the Australian combination of Lleyton Hewitt and Sam Stosur will be the number one seed for the tournament.

Australia has been drawn in group A with Spain, Romania and the US.

Russia, comprising Igor Andreev, ranked world number 38, and world number five Elena Dementieva, will be the second favourites heading into the competition.

A predicted by WAtoday last month, Murray will team with 15-year-old Laura Robson, who has strong ties to Perth, and will be the number three seeds.

"I look forward to playing at the Hopman Cup with Laura,'' Murray said.

"I'm hoping it will be good preparation for the Australian Open.

"Laura is a great talent and it will be good to link up together playing for our country.''

Spain will be the fourth ranked duo in the eight team competition, and will feature former winner Tommy Robredo and prominent doubles player Maria Jose Martinez-Sanchez

Other teams competing are the US, Romania and Germany while the winner of the Asian Hopman Cup, known on November 14, will complete the field.

http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/murr...1027-hicq.html

The Kaz
Oct 27th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Lena D is playing hopman cup :woohoo: :drool:

Mashabator
Oct 27th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Wow. Go Laura!

Noctis
Oct 27th, 2009, 09:35 AM
OMG Great Laura to have a go at this top elite players!
Like Elena,Sabine,Na? LOL or Jie Sam and Sanchez

Keadz
Oct 27th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Thats a pretty good team :)

From http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/murray-confirmed-for-hopman-cup-xxii-20091027-hicq.html

GROUP A
(1)Australia: Stosur and Hewitt
Spain: Sanchez and Robredo
Romania: Cirstea and Hanescu
United States: Oudin and Isner

GROUP B
(2)Russia: Dementieva and Andreev
Germany: Lisicki and Kohlschreiber
United Kingdom: Robson and Murray
Asian Hopman Cup winner: (?)

The Kaz
Oct 27th, 2009, 09:42 AM
So the teams are:

Group A

Australia #1 seed: Lleyton Hewitt and Samantha Stosur
Spain #4 seed: Tommy Robredo and Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez
Romania unseeded: Viktor Hanescu(?) and Sorana Cirstea
USA unseeded: John Isner and Melanie Oudin

Group B

Russia #2 seed: Elena Dementieva and Igor Andreev
Great Britain #3 seed: Andy Murray and Laura Robson
Germany unseeded: Sabine Lisicki and Philipp Kohlschreiber
Asian Qualifier

So Disrespectful
Oct 27th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Only two hotties to watch. :(

Golovinjured.
Oct 27th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Dementieva, Stosur, Lisicki, Cirstea, Robson, Oudin, Martinez Sanchez and maybe a golden flower?

What a field! :eek:

Spain will once again bring some bore to the tournament. :rolleyes:

Vanity Bonfire
Oct 27th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Dementieva, Stosur, Lisicki, Cirstea, Robson, Oudin, Martinez Sanchez and maybe a golden flower?

What a field! :eek:

Spain will once again bring some bore to the tournament. :rolleyes:

Roboredo

Привет
Oct 27th, 2009, 11:08 AM
:yeah: Great to see!

Those groups suck though. :( I wanted to see UK vs Australia in the groups stage.

Golovinjured.
Oct 27th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Roboredo

clever :)

Привет
Oct 27th, 2009, 11:21 AM
And Australia as top seeds? :tape: As if it wasn't already obvious that this year's lineup was a little weaker than usual...

thadeuss
Oct 27th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Soarana is injured - she broke a knee ligament and she needs at least 2 months to recover so it's posible she won't play at the Hopman Cup

Привет
Oct 27th, 2009, 11:31 AM
If Sorana withdraws, then it'll be a HUGE cakewalk to the final for Australia. :speakles: Group A is already much weaker than Group B.

Dani12
Oct 27th, 2009, 11:35 AM
I hope Sorana will play, it would be hard to find a decent replacement for her. Can't say i'd like Olaru, Dulgheru or Gallovits over Cirstea.

Harvs
Oct 27th, 2009, 11:39 AM
aus should make final easy:)

Привет
Oct 27th, 2009, 11:54 AM
There was that year where Sweden (Arvidsson/Johansson) ended up playing because Belarus I think it was pulled out. Could that happen again if Sorana pulls out with enough time for them to find another team? :shrug:

Corswandt
Oct 27th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Why is Andy Murray playing this "hit and giggle" shit?

Mynarco
Oct 27th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Pretty sad no Serbia :(

Monica_Rules
Oct 27th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Yeah Team GBR

The Kaz
Oct 27th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Robson will be completely out of her depths...she'll be lucky to win 3 games a set vs Elena, Sabine and thew Asian winner.

That said be may beat the Asian winner :unsure: but Lena D and Lisicki no way!

Harvs
Oct 27th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Robson will be completely out of her depths...she'll be lucky to win 3 games a set vs Sam, Mel and MJMS.

That said be may beat the overrated Oudin :unsure:

she has elena, sabine and the asian winner... but yeah same thing lol

The Kaz
Oct 27th, 2009, 01:04 PM
And im loving Australias cakewalk draw to the finals :drool:

The Kaz
Oct 27th, 2009, 01:05 PM
she has elena, sabine and the asian winner... but yeah same thing lol

Whoops my bad :lol:

Corrected :D :angel:

Привет
Oct 27th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Of course Robson will struggle in singles. :shrug: But she could lose every single singles match and UK could still win the whole thing. Murray should breeze past Andreev, Kohlschreiber and whoever plays from the Asian qualifying. This is an oppurtunity for her to gain experience. If she's good enough in mixed, they could still quite easily win ties against Russia, Germany and Asia.

The Kaz
Oct 27th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Of course Robson will struggle in singles. :shrug: But she could lose every single singles match and UK could still win the whole thing. Murray should breeze past Andreev, Kohlschreiber and whoever plays from the Asian qualifying. This is an oppurtunity for her to gain experience. If she's good enough in mixed, they could still quite easily win ties against Russia, Germany and Asia.

Im not a big fan of the Hopman Cup giving spots to players who aren't at that level yet...this can't be a great experience for her to be thumped 3 times in the singles...i think the Brits will struggle in the mixed too. I very much doubt GB will go to the final.

mr_burns
Oct 27th, 2009, 01:31 PM
So the teams are:

Group A

Australia #1 seed: Lleyton Hewitt and Samantha Stosur
Spain #4 seed: Tommy Robredo and Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez
Romania unseeded: Viktor Hanescu(?) and Sorana Cirstea
USA unseeded: John Isner and Melanie Oudin

Group B

Russia #2 seed: Elena Dementieva and Igor Andreev
Great Britain #3 seed: Andy Murray and Laura Robson
Germany unseeded: Sabine Lisicki and Philipp Kohlschreiber
Asian Qualifier

one of the most interesting line ups in recent years, if the US could replace Isner (hate his 'game'), it would be pretty exciting

India has a good chance to qualify, I thinl

SM
Oct 27th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Im not a big fan of the Hopman Cup giving spots to players who aren't at that level yet...this can't be a great experience for her to be thumped 3 times in the singles...i think the Brits will struggle in the mixed too. I very much doubt GB will go to the final.
quite the contrary i think robson will start to raise her game next year, plus theres less pressure here than a wta tourney....

Привет
Oct 27th, 2009, 02:12 PM

There's a difference between struggling and being thumped. Do I think she will struggle coming up against opposition such as Dementieva and Lisicki? Yes. Do I think she will be 'thumped' by them? No.

Don't forget this will be the first tournament of the year for all the other players too. They're not going to be coming out onto court with their A game. Plus, Robson could beat most of the girls we now know will be playing off at the Asian HC. She'll get lots of support because everyone will of course play up her Aussie connection. I think she'll be able to put out some good performances and represent her country well.

And whether you're a fan of it or not, the Hopman Cup have been inviting players who weren't "at that level yet" for years. ;) It's part of what the tournament is all about.

The Kaz
Oct 27th, 2009, 02:17 PM
There's a difference between struggling and being thumped. Do I think she will struggle coming up against opposition such as Dementieva and Lisicki? Yes. Do I think she will be 'thumped' by them? No.

Don't forget this will be the first tournament of the year for all the other players too. They're not going to be coming out onto court with their A game. Plus, Robson could beat most of the girls we now know will be playing off at the Asian HC. She'll get lots of support because everyone will of course play up her Aussie connection. I think she'll be able to put out some good performances and represent her country well.

And whether you're a fan of it or not, the Hopman Cup have been inviting players who weren't "at that level yet" for years. ;) It's part of what the tournament is all about.

Thank you for telling me the reasons why I can't have an opinion :rolleyes:

Привет
Oct 27th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Thank you for telling me the reasons why I can't have an opinion :rolleyes:

I was expressing my own opinion, and pointing out how it differed from yours. That's not telling you you can't have your opinion, it's just telling you that I have a different one. :lol: Don't be so ridiculous.

saska77
Oct 27th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Why is Andy Murray playing this "hit and giggle" shit?

as punishment for the Davis Cup fiasco...the russain goverment of past used to send teir losing hockey team to Siberia for 'education'. LTA makes Murray play Hopman Cup :shrug:

Julian.
Oct 27th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Robson will be playing at her home country :hearts:

helio_c
Oct 27th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Why isnt Slovakia playing? Didnt they win the last cup?