PDA

View Full Version : Can i have some advice please?

Kisha
Sep 19th, 2002, 12:54 PM
I'm looking for ways to improve the restaurant in general.

What do you guys like when you go for a meal?

eg: Music, etc...

i just wanna grab some ideas to try and improve things:)

Thanks guys:)

i-girl
Sep 19th, 2002, 12:57 PM
ok, I'm behind here:) . you have a restaurant? what kind? (it's important, I don't like the same thing in a fast food res. that I like in a fancy french res.)

Kisha
Sep 19th, 2002, 12:59 PM
lol, i dont own one, but i work as a Temp manger for one.

Its a proper resturant:) , none of this fast food lark!;)

i-girl
Sep 19th, 2002, 01:04 PM
you know what I love? those little lamps they put on every table... I don't know if it's common it the UK, but it's very common in good restaurants in the US, and it's also popular over here. they are fancy little lamps, very pretty, painted ones, and they are on the table, and the rest of the res. is pretty dim, so the lamp is the only light. it's very intimate and romantic.
are you working now, even though you're pregnant?

Kisha
Sep 19th, 2002, 01:07 PM
thanks for the advice:)

Yeah i'm working abit longer, then i will leave and hopefully not go back! I want a different job then!:) :)

bee
Sep 19th, 2002, 01:08 PM
Don't liked when waiters kept on hovering over us.. constantly asking (and interrupting) if we need something... but I also don't liked it when one can't get hold of a waiter when you really need something... :) :)

vw43
Sep 19th, 2002, 02:00 PM
I like those little lamps as well...I also like candlelight though...I think the wait staff is the most important. They need to be attentive but not annoying...:wavey:

Jetta
Sep 19th, 2002, 02:02 PM
sexy waiters..... ;)

some jazzy quiet music

and I like Noga's idea about the lamps. :D

Beat
Sep 19th, 2002, 02:35 PM
- most importantly: nice waiters who are informed about food and wine!
- candles
- NO music

gentenaire
Sep 19th, 2002, 02:55 PM
I agree with Beat, I don't like music.

You can do an awful lot with light. Just have a few uplights on the walls lighting up the ceiling and a few candles or small lights on the tables.

I hate kitchy stuff, I like a classy stylish restaurant where the food is presented in a nice and original way.

per4ever
Sep 19th, 2002, 03:03 PM
NO music???????? :eek:

You need music...only good one ;)..some calm background music..always nice :D

Experimentee
Sep 19th, 2002, 03:16 PM
I like nice tablecloths, i've been to some restaurants with horrible tablecloths that look like teatowels! I like plain white or blue, or just no tablecloth but nice polished wood.
And a little vase of flowers, not too big and noticeable though.

Jetta
Sep 19th, 2002, 03:20 PM
If it is like a romantic restaurant, get a maroon, dark red tablecloth and a small vase with 1 rose, a candle, or if it is kinda a hazard, there are lamps that you can buy that looks a lot like candles....:p

gentenaire
Sep 19th, 2002, 03:39 PM
I think you have to choose the colour of the table cloth in occordance with the colour scheme in the rest of the restaurant, the type of wood of the tables and chairs, fabrics, overall feel, etc.

AmErIcAn
Sep 19th, 2002, 05:59 PM
Topless Italian/Greek waiters. :drool: :drool: :drool:

Sorry what was the question again ? ;)

shirley
Sep 19th, 2002, 06:13 PM
There has to be music, Kisha! :)

Soft music or maybe some R&B like Brandy.

Kisha
Sep 19th, 2002, 07:14 PM
:wavey: guys!

Thanks so much for your input! It's really nice of you all!:)

BritneySpearsIsHot
Sep 19th, 2002, 11:15 PM
The lights down low, gentle relaxing music and a nice lady to eat with.

Could you supply the lady? ;)

MartianJoeyWinson
Sep 19th, 2002, 11:44 PM
They need to chuck out loud people, except me cos I am loud but nicely loud and I don't wish harm on anyone.

They need to serve decent lager, we're talking Carlsberg Export here. I will accept Stella.

Purple tablecloths. Orange serviettes. The cutlery has to have NO patterning.

Music actually makes me think about the music and not the food, but if you HAVE to have it, have music without vocals, so we're talking some piano music or some classical music, but not too punchy, just laid back. Like for example I'd like to listen to Vivaldi's Four Season's at home, but not while I'm having a meal. (mind u the Spring section is nice to eat to). But no vocals as you think of that rather than the food and the person you are talking to.

I disagree with candles, basically cos I think there is such a big thing made over "candlelit dinners", like for example if I was taking a girl out on a first date (which I was meant to last week but got stood up, that's the third time that's happened and I don't know why I bother), I'd prefer it to be a low key affair.

Your wine also has to meet the needs of everyone. As for Reds', I'd pick your four as Beaujolais (really easy drinking), Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Rioja. Your whites should be Chardonnay (naturally as it goes best with chicken dishes), Chenin Blanc, Chablis and probably a Columbard for the lower price range.

Jay
Sep 20th, 2002, 12:07 AM
lol Joey, your posts crack me up.

Kisha, layout and space is always important. I hate it when the tables are too close togther and your bum is almost up against the bum of a person on the table next to you.

Same with the table itself. I hate it when I'm in a group of say 6 and the table they give you is barely enough for 4 and as a result you have dishes all bunched up together on the table and there's barely enough room to rest your fork.

Richie77
Sep 20th, 2002, 03:46 AM
I like it when the lamps are above the table, or fastened to the wall right next to the table...that provides the right amount of light.

And you gotta have background music! That should be up-tempo, no slow songs.

King Aaron
Sep 20th, 2002, 10:30 AM
I think nice and proper music in general
Well mannered waiter/tress
Some nice decor

MartianJoeyWinson
Sep 20th, 2002, 01:32 PM
Jay, I was trying to be serious! WHY WON'T YOU EVER TAKE ME SERIOUSLY! GRRRRRRRR!

Actually Jay, that Claustrophobic feeling could be quite original and could make it a rather arty resteraunt where people have to book tables for 12 (even though they would only fit 6). If you named it Claustrophobia and did it in Knightsbridge, you'd be a millionnaire. You could also do a Terence Conran and open up several resteraunts. One could be that the entire resteraunt is in the shape of an ear ( a kind of metal ear using stairs and platforms etc.) and call it Tinitus, basically no music is played, just a ridiculously high pitched noise to simulate tinitus or however you spell it). You could open "Famine", an open air resteraunt which is basically a resteraunt that is full of flies and the food is basically grain dropped in overhead by planes. "Urban", which is a hotel with very poor air conditioning with live pneumatic drills being used, paid actors to walk between tables shouting business deals into mobile phones, all the waiters serve your food via them pathetic little tin scooters. All the above resteraunts are likely to attract the same sort of audience, those disgraces to society that are... yes, you guessed it, Media types with names like Toby, Nathan or Dan who hang around with stick like females with names like "Libby" and "Tamara" and other such names, who only drink alcopops and loudly tell "cutting edge" jokes about rape whilst guffawing to eachother on their £4000 mobile phones with picture messaging when they are only just across the table from eachother. Said types will later go to a nightclub where they will try to start a fight with two bouncers after three bottles of Reef.

(P.S. Don't nick any of my ideas :))

veryborednow
Sep 20th, 2002, 08:37 PM
that Claustrophobic feeling could be quite original and could make it a rather arty resteraunt where people have to book tables for 12 (even though they would only fit 6). If you named it Claustrophobia and did it in Knightsbridge, you'd be a millionnaire
There's a resteraunt that does that near me. Unfortunately when I went I was going through a claustrophobic phase, so it didn't matter what the food was like, what music, anything. I was too busy trying not to bolt... :(

Give waiters a uniform. But not polo shirts.

Double Fault
Sep 21st, 2002, 01:05 PM
Make sure the waitresses/waiters do not have BO. It is very off putting when trying to eat.

Make sure the loo's are clean at all times. It is not very nice to stand at a urinal in a pool of piss.

Don't let your patrons be crowded. If I want something I'll yell out. No need to stand at the corner of the table like a soldier at Buckingham Palace.

Apart from that, not much else. :)