PDA

View Full Version : Evolution or Creationism, what do you think?

King Satan
Sep 19th, 2002, 01:48 AM
I think evolution, not to big on the whole adam and eve theory.

Scotso
Sep 19th, 2002, 02:18 AM
I believe both.

Canek
Sep 19th, 2002, 02:27 AM
spontaneous creation :rolleyes:

Scotso
Sep 19th, 2002, 02:29 AM
Science loves to explain everything, but there are some things it can't explain, such as how we came into existence. Looking at it with even a scientific viewpoint, it's impossible to deny that there is some higher power that brought the universe into existence.

Mattographer
Sep 19th, 2002, 02:36 AM
:eek: I learned that theory last Monday in Science class!! :o

Mattographer
Sep 19th, 2002, 02:38 AM
BTW - I think Evolution as well ;)

Berlin_Calling
Sep 19th, 2002, 02:40 AM
Both.

Bright Red
Sep 19th, 2002, 02:44 AM
The flaw in the question is that you assume the positions are mutually exclusive. I think both are right. The evolution theory seems reasonable only because its simpler and therefore manageable to our mortal minds. The real truth despite its elegance is beyond the realm of our comprehension (just like infinity).

Berlin_Calling
Sep 19th, 2002, 02:47 AM
I believe in both because evolution really does make sense but I was also taught that we were created by God.

Sam L
Sep 19th, 2002, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by Bright Red
The evolution theory seems reasonable only because its simpler and therefore manageable to our mortal minds.

Sorry Bright Red but you seem to be describing the creationist theory there. I mean honestly walk down the street and ask people to explain the evolution theory and most of them probably won't know it. But everyone can claim God created the earth in 7 days right? :eek: I also think it is NOT simple by any means. That is why it's still studied on to today and discussed widely.

You also say the real truth is beyond the realm of our comprehension. Well only a few hundred years ago, EVERYONE thought the world was flat. Nobody comprehended how people could stand on a round earth. So don't underestimate what ELSE humankind maybe able to understand within next few hundred years or more.

Sorry I'm NOT attacking you but I just feel I had to argue here.

For the record, I ONLY believe in the evolution theory.

irma
Sep 19th, 2002, 06:06 AM
combination of both.

i-girl
Sep 19th, 2002, 06:17 AM
Sam, I think what BR was trying to say was that evolution is easier to handle because it's all scientific, and has proofs, and you can logically understand it (not that it was a simple theory). I belive both of them.

King Lindsay
Sep 19th, 2002, 06:37 AM
Listen, God loves us all, and he created the universe. Evolution is a pack of lies, and homosexuality is wrong. I love Jesus! I love Jesus!

irma
Sep 19th, 2002, 06:39 AM
"that evolution is easier to handle because it's all scientific"

I disagree. I find it easier to believe there was a reason why we are here, then that we were born by accident thanks to a boom million years ago

Irish
Sep 19th, 2002, 06:47 AM
I don't believe in evolution.

Sam L
Sep 19th, 2002, 06:56 AM
Oh Ok i-girl, if that is what he meant then I agree :) It is simpler in that there's some logic to it rather than a whole heap of conjectures and hearsay that is religion.

But at the same time, I also agree with irma's comment. I think it's easier for us to believe that life has a specific purpose, direction and meaning (i.e. from God) rather than just a random chance of genetic evolution and that we had/have absolutely no control over our past or destinies.

I guess believing in evolution is harder emotionally and most people simply cannot handle the truth. So they take the easy way out. Take tennisfan333 as a good example there :D

King Lindsay
Sep 19th, 2002, 07:05 AM
Actually, I don't believe in God at all, and I totally support the theory of Evolution. I can handle the truth.

gentenaire
Sep 19th, 2002, 08:03 AM
Evolution all the way. The earth just happens to have all the necessary conditions needed to create life: water, light...It's not too warm here, not too cold, the conditions on earth are ideal.
I believe in the evolution theory because it makes perfect sense.

I wouldn't feel comfortable believing that some being created men and women unequally.

i-girl
Sep 19th, 2002, 08:17 AM
what I meant, Irma, was that believing in evolution requires less of a "leap of faith". you have something concrete (sp.) to support it. so in a way, it's easier to accept. you're ofcourse right, that the other side of it is that a lot of people instinctly feel that there is a reason behind our creation, and it's easier for them to believe we were put here by god.
I never really saw a conflict between the 2 beliefs. I accept evolution, it's been proven beyond doubt, but I don't think it's in anyway conflicting with my belief in god. god doesn't create everything ready made. sometimes the process is important. that's why we're born as babies and not as grown people. we need to learn for ourselves, make our own identity. it's kind of the same with our planet:) . (I understand Tine's approach, it used to be my approach, but now I'm a believer:) . and I don't know what christianity says about this, but Judaism accepts men and women's inherent equality. god did not created women inferior. so you can be a feminist and still believe in god. I do it!)

Josh
Sep 19th, 2002, 10:04 AM
Evolution

I believe religion is an example of creationism, created by mankind to explain things they couldn't explain and to ease the fear for the unknown.

i-girl
Sep 19th, 2002, 10:07 AM
Josh, did anybody ever tell you're too verbal? :)

Josh
Sep 19th, 2002, 10:09 AM
LOL, no of course not....everybody likes to listen to my speeches. ;)

i-girl
Sep 19th, 2002, 10:13 AM
actually, now that I've re-read your sentence, it's not as complicated as I first thought. still, you're too verbal:) .

Josh
Sep 19th, 2002, 10:16 AM
See that's the secret, make something that is actually easy look like a real brainteaser. :D

i-girl
Sep 19th, 2002, 10:22 AM
well, you're the expert then:D . (no, not really, but I can't contact any of my friends in Tel Aviv to see if they're ok after the bomb, because all the phone lines are down, so I'm taking it out on you)

gentenaire
Sep 19th, 2002, 10:31 AM
I believe in Josh :)

i-girl
Sep 19th, 2002, 10:32 AM
don't we all?

danielrosario
Sep 19th, 2002, 10:41 AM
i-girl, Christianity also believes that man and women are equal :)
BTW my opinion is exactly the same as Bright Reds.

i-girl
Sep 19th, 2002, 10:45 AM
ok, then:) . I just didn't know what christianity's point of view was on this, and Tine seemed to think according to christianity man and woman were not created equal.
anyway, if you agree with BR, then you agree with me:) .

gentenaire
Sep 19th, 2002, 10:47 AM
I always thought the bible says Eve was made out of Adam's rib! I'd hardly call that equal. It's obvious the bible was written by men;)

danielrosario
Sep 19th, 2002, 10:51 AM
Tine, if you think Eve is supposed to be inferior becaus she was made out of rib, then what's Adam? he was made from dust! :)

i-girl, the Bible (and I'm basing this on the Old and New Testaments, not just the allegory of creation) promotes equality of man and woman, though it recognises that sometimes the roles of both genders are different.

i-girl
Sep 19th, 2002, 10:57 AM
I don't really know the new testament, but the modern Jewish interpetation of the bible (what you call the old testament) is that men and women are equal, and it tries to avoid set gender roles.
are you really from Argentina? you're english is awfully good:) .

irma
Sep 19th, 2002, 11:00 AM
according to the bible women and men are equal(it's also the case with other animals, afterall who is the boss of the bees?)

it were men who decided that we are less :fiery:

danielrosario
Sep 19th, 2002, 12:56 PM
LOL i-girl, what gave you the impression that i'm from argentina?
I'm from India! (see the flag)

i-girl
Sep 19th, 2002, 12:59 PM
I actually did see the flag, but thought it wasn't for real. I thought for some reason that you were from argentina... no harm. you're english is still good.
I also didn't get the thing about the bees and their bosses:D .

danielrosario
Sep 19th, 2002, 01:10 PM
i-girl, i think irma means that the boss of the bees is female (Queen Bee) so man wasn't clearly intended to be superior. But I'll let her clarify it :)

irma
Sep 19th, 2002, 01:16 PM
yeah that's what I meant:)

Halardfan
Sep 19th, 2002, 01:52 PM
Evolution doesn't have all the answers and has some problems in its explanation, but holds far more weight than 'Creationism'

Surely its hard to believe both? If not impossible? Where do the dinosaurs fit into creationism?

Jetta
Sep 19th, 2002, 01:54 PM
Evolution..... :o

lemon
Sep 21st, 2002, 02:52 PM
Creationism.... :o I got myself kicked out of my bio class in 10th grade b/c of it :o

CellJr300
Sep 21st, 2002, 07:20 PM
Evolution.