PDA

View Full Version : MGM @ challenge bell, quebec

Beat
Sep 17th, 2002, 09:16 AM
(hey! is anybody still around here? adnil, doris?? :confused: )

anyway:
marie won her 1st round match against WC marie-eve pelletier quite nicely 6:3 6:3. next up she'll have to face either meghan shaughnessy or alina jidkova. good luck! :D

Doris Loeffel
Sep 17th, 2002, 09:22 AM
Gooo for it MGM!!
Good luck!!

The Vampiress
Sep 17th, 2002, 09:22 AM
Thats terrific form Marie :)

Since after winning in Tashkent her season and hard court havn't really got of to flying colours, so hopefully she can improve to third round, and that her serve is with her on the day :) .

Beat
Sep 17th, 2002, 11:12 AM
hi allegra!
it's great to see some new "faces" around here. its seems that no too many people are interested in MGM (yet), so it's nice if it's not just doris, adnil and me... ;) the person who initiated this section, vanity, has also disappeared (apparently she got banned), so marie's site ( http://mikaelian.wtastarz.com ) is not updated anymore.
but I really hope we can keep "the mikaelian initiative" alive!

Zamboni
Sep 17th, 2002, 11:23 AM
:wavey: I'm still here!

Nice win indeed by MGM :) I think she wouldn't be without a chance against Shaughnessy, lets hope so!

If anyone is interested in taking the moderators job over from Vanity, you should let the mods know ;) (unfortunately I don't have time to do it, otherwise there would be a Coetzer wtastarz site too ;))

Doris Loeffel
Sep 17th, 2002, 11:28 AM
Beat as you can see we're all still around ;)

Goooo MGM!!

Beat
Sep 18th, 2002, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by Doris Loeffel
Beat as you can see we're all still around ;)

yeah, I see, and I'm glad about it! :D

MGM's next opponent will now be shaughnessy, who won 6:3 3:6 7:6. meghan is obviously still not playing at her best level, so marie definitely has got a chance here. GO MGM :bounce: !

Zamboni
Sep 18th, 2002, 02:54 PM
Not quite a good win by Shaugnessy, so lets hope she continues to play like that :angel: so Marie can get the surprise!

Go MGM! :) :bounce: :)

Beat
Sep 19th, 2002, 08:50 AM
... and she did!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce:

[...] Shaughnessy was sent packing by Swiss Marie-Gaianeh Mikaelian, 6-4, 6-4, on the indoor hardcourts at Club Avantage. [...]

I'm sure shaughnessy tried everything to defend her title here, so this makes it a really precious win for marie.

now maggie maleeva is waiting, to whom she lost twice this year. the last time was really close (where was it again?). who knows, maybe this time marie can pull it off...? Good luck!

Doris Loeffel
Sep 19th, 2002, 02:13 PM
Can't remember Beat. sorry!!

But gooo MGM!! You can beat her today!!

Beat
Sep 19th, 2002, 02:18 PM
I looked it up:
2002-05-20 Strasbourg Clay R32 Magdalena Maleeva (BUL) 6-2 3-6 7-5

the other match being:
2002-01-14 Australian Open Hardcourt R128 Magdalena Maleeva (BUL) 6-3 6-4

BONNE CHANCE, MARIE!

Beat
Sep 19th, 2002, 02:52 PM
Marie-Gaianeh Mikaelian signs tournament posters after speaking to local school kids

Beat
Sep 19th, 2002, 02:54 PM
ooops .. here's the picture:

Zamboni
Sep 19th, 2002, 03:56 PM
Yeah :bounce:

I saw this morning that she won, and of course I was really happy :)

I hope she can win against Maleeva too, but this win already made the tournament good for me ;)

Good luck Marie!

The Vampiress
Sep 20th, 2002, 06:02 AM
Hi Beat:wavey:

Thanks for Inviting me in, Yeah I really like Mikaelin she has a good game and her serve is good and I think that she uses her serve alot to dictate games, because as I said, when its there shes there! and when it's not then shes not,

I take proud interest in young swiss players, they to me are so unique and stand out above the rest of other juniors.

Marie just won against Maggie Maleeva today YAY:bounce: 6-1 6-1 so it is a turn of events from the 2 other losses, so now she is in the semi's now (Yay second career victory hopefully) and I think plays Alexandra Stevenson or Silvia Farina Elia (but we have to wait and see)

Alexandra and Mikaelian have only played once last year at Moscow Indoor carpet where Stevenson won 6-3 6-4, Mikaelian was still reletavily new to the WTA Scence so looking for brighter things to come, and with her playing Silvia Farina Elia she won in 2001 in Basel on Clay and was leading the first set 6-3 and up 2-0 in the second, then Farina Elia retired, and this year played on indoor hardcourt where Silvia Farina was ardous winning 3-6 7-5 6-2 so looking for better things form Mikaelian on this hardcourt as Elia won the last hardcourt (Well Indoor Hardcourt), but again she has probably matured and was still younger, plus was further down the rankings, so hopefully we have Marie Winning so she can reclaim the next match and get into the finals :)

Doris Loeffel
Sep 20th, 2002, 08:22 AM
Wow!!!
MGM first semifinalist!!

Alllleeezzzz keep rolling MGM!!

Beat
Sep 20th, 2002, 08:54 AM
I really thought that maleeva was a player within marie's reach, but when I saw the result I nearly fell off my chair. awesome. :D this must giver her lots of confidence.

I'd actually prefer her opponent to be farina-elia. MGM beat her once and was very very close to beating her a 2nd time (as allegra pointed out). plus she'd get more bonus points in case of a win ;). also I'm really not a fan of stevenson, so seeing her beat MGM would hurt more.

but this tourni has already been a great success in any case.

allegra, have you ever seen marie play "live"?. I only saw matches on TV, but I hope she'll get a wildcard for zurich (:fiery: if she doesn't), so - in case I find the time to visit the tournament - I can see her.

Zamboni
Sep 20th, 2002, 09:24 AM
Wow! - that was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the result this morning!

Great, well done Marie! I also hope she will play Farina Elia next, for the same reasons as Beat stated ;)

btw, I have seen Marie play live one time, and that's when I became a fan ;) I already liked her after seeing her on tv once, but seeing her in Antwerp was great!

Good luck Marie!

Beat
Sep 20th, 2002, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by adnil
btw, I have seen Marie play live one time, and that's when I became a fan ;) I already liked her after seeing her on tv once, but seeing her in Antwerp was great!

really? wow! that was the tournament where she beat dechy and lost that close match vs. farina-elia, wasn't it? which match(es) did you see?

The Vampiress
Sep 20th, 2002, 11:10 AM
Beat:) , As Adnil said I saw her play in Antwerp, thats what catched my mind really of her, I mean I was interested in her before but that just took the cake, plus some coverage on our local Television of Tashkent (Even though there wasn't much of her she was still great)

I think that if she does play like she played agasint Maleeva today Silvia should be no problem. Maleeva and Farina play a similar game, more like a counter punch attack. (I allways thought the Maleevas and especially Magdalena would become more of something but they only get their games started during there mid 20's)....anyway as I said If Mikaelian still has her serve tomorrow and plays her game she will advance to the finals. I say maybe a 2 set game to Elia or Stevenson.

Allegra

Zamboni
Sep 20th, 2002, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Beat

really? wow! that was the tournament where she beat dechy and lost that close match vs. farina-elia, wasn't it? which match(es) did you see?

I saw the match against Dechy, which was a great 3-setter. It had everything: Dechy argued with the umpire, Marie hurt her arm and received treatment, and both showed great tennis. Dechy seemed bitchy to me, and Marie stayed really calm and won it :)

I also got her signature after the match, that's when I took this picture.

The first time I saw her on tv was when she played in Basel or Zurich last year, I think against Capriati. She'd already pulled some upsets in the tournament, and when I saw her play on tv I already liked her, but in Antwerp I started to like her even more!

Doris Loeffel
Sep 20th, 2002, 11:55 AM
Beat I'm pretty convinced that she'll get a WC for Zurich as she "saved" the tournament from a swiss view!! Even giving a hard fight to Jenny!! If not then I'm :fiery: with you!!

The Vampiress
Sep 21st, 2002, 01:41 AM
Beat you got your wish :) Farina Elia defeated Alexandra Stevenson. 6-3, 3-6, 6-1 A good but scratchy preformance form Silvia. But a win is still a win I geuss.

Mikaelian really just has to keep playing like she has been the last couple of days and she should be in with a good chance of making the finals.

Zamboni
Sep 21st, 2002, 04:47 PM
If Silvia had that much problems with Alex, that might be good for Marie, but you never know....

Go Marie!

The Vampiress
Sep 22nd, 2002, 12:30 AM
Mikaelian has defeated Silvia Farina Elia to advance to a final agains't elena bovina. Mikaelian played a quite effortless game of 7-6 6-1 (Tie Break unknown) But now she plays Bovina in the finals who bet Rodionova fellow countrywoman with a breadstick and a bagel:) 6-1 6-0,

So things are looking pleasing for a second tournament victory by Mikaelin,

Again just play her usual game and she should win.:)

Zamboni
Sep 22nd, 2002, 03:06 PM
Congrats Marie! :bounce: It even was on Dutch teletext in the headlines, which I was very surprised about ;)

Good luck in the final! :)

The Vampiress
Sep 23rd, 2002, 03:19 AM
:sad: Marie Gianeh Mikaelin just lost to Eleina Bovina 6-3 6-4.
I really thought Marie would pull it off, she has been playing magnificent latley, but Bovina has been in excellent form since the US OPEN.

Quebec City, Quebec (Sports Network) - Russia's Elena Bovina defeated Switzerland's Marie-Gaianeh Mikaelian in straight sets, 6-3, 6-4, to win the championship of the $140,000 Bell Challenge tennis tournament.

Bovina, who was the seventh seed of the tournament, pocketed $27,000 for her victory.

The 19-year old Russian earned her second singles title of the year. In May she defeated two-time champion and top seed Henrieta Nagyova at Warsaw to capture her first Sanex WTA Tour singles title, and became the first Russian woman to win a singles title in the 21st century

American Meghann Shaughnessy captured this event last year by topping former French Open champion Iva Majoli in the final.

Beat
Sep 23rd, 2002, 08:32 AM
ah, what a pity... it would have been so nice for her to win the tournament. but it was still a great one, defeating the no. 5, 3 and 1 seeds. marie jumps in the rankings from no. 63 to 48 and is now the no. 3 swiss player, having moved past gagliardi.

well done, and good luck for the next tournaments! :bounce:

Beat
Sep 23rd, 2002, 08:46 AM
here's a nice article (hope you understand french) - it seems marie has a coach now, but he doesn't seem to travel with her :confused:

-----

Challenge Bell Le dimanche 22 septembre 2002
Le conte de fées se poursuit
Réal Labbé
Le Soleil

LE SOLEIL, Raynald Lavoie
La Suissesse Marie-Gaianeh Mikaelian n'a perdu aucun set en quatre rencontres.

Marie-Gaianeh Mikaelian est devenue la joueuse Cendrillon du présent Challenge Bell en se payant, hier après-midi, une troisième tête de série, et cette fois c'est la première, Silvia Farina-Elia, en deux sets 7-6 (3) et 6-1, qu'elle a éliminée pour se retrouver en finale.

En plus, elle n'a pas encore perdu un set en quatre rencontres. La joueuse suisse a d'abord écarté Marie-Ève Pelletier avant de tasser la championne défendante Meghann Shaughnessy, cinquième favorite, en deuxième ronde. Puis, en quarts de finale, elle se défaisait de la troisième favorite, Magdalene Maleeva.
« Nous étions toutes les deux nerveuses dans le premier set, mais les deux balles de set qu'elle a eues alors qu'elle menait 5-4 m'ont réveillée, et par la suite j'ai pesé sur l'accélérateur. » Le premier set s'est réglé au bris d'égalité alors que Farina-Elia n'a pu faire mieux que trois points. « Au début, je me demandais où j'allais servir, car Silvia est rapide et elle peut retourner les balles de partout. Puis au deuxième set, elle a semblé plus fatiguée, elle bougeait moins bien. Je voulais surtout l'attaquer sur son revers, mais j'ai réussi deux ou trois points gagnants sur son coup droit alors que je perdais 5-4 et ça m'a redonné confiance. »
De la confiance, c'est ce que la Suisse aura récolté à profusion cette semaine. « C'est sûr que c'est très important pour le moral que de battre trois filles classées parmi les 20 meilleures au monde. Et maintenant je suis sur la bonne voie pour atteindre mon but de me classer parmi les 50 meilleures. » Une participation à la finale devrait lui valoir assez de points pour qu'elle s'approche de son objectif, elle qui venait au 60e rang avant le début du tournoi.

Silvia Farina-Elia était déçue. « Déçue d'avoir perdu, bien sûr, mais aussi parce que j'aime beaucoup ce tournoi et déçue parce que l'on m'avait remis un cadeau au début du tournoi parce que j'étais la favorite. Les autres joueuses qui ont eu ce cadeau d'appréciation dans les années précédentes avaient toutes remporté le tournoi. »
La fatigue peut en partie expliquer le revers de la joueuse italienne. « J'étais un peu fatiguée, car j'ai fini tard mon match de la veille contre Alexandra Stevenson. Gagner le premier set devenait donc important, mais je n'ai pas été capable de bien lire son service. J'ai eu mes chances, sauf que je n'avais pas les réflexes assez aiguisés. Par contre, Mikaelian méritait grandement cette victoire, elle a joué un très bon match. »
Si plusieurs personnes se montraient surprises du succès de Mikaelian, ce n'était pas le cas pour Farina-Elia. « Je ne suis pas surprise du tout. Elle a déjà remporté la victoire contre Dementieva et ici elle a sorti des favorites. C'est une joueuse qui devrait pouvoir s'améliorer rapidement au classement de la WTA et qui a le potentiel pour remporter des tournois. »
SOUS LES YEUX DE MAMAN
Maman Marguerite aura encore une bonne place dans les estrades pour assister à la finale de sa fille Marie-Gaianeh contre la Russe Elena Bovina, cet après-midi.
Mme Mikaelian était vraiment fière de la performance de sa fille jusqu'à maintenant. « Elle connaît vraiment une très bonne semaine et j'en suis très contente. Elle a eu une saison en dents de scie et ce n'était pas toujours facile. Des fois, elle jouait comme elle l'a fait ici et tout de suite après elle avait une contre-performance. Depuis le tournoi de Zurich, la saison dernière, ce n'était pas fameux dans son cheminement au niveau du tennis. La tournée américaine qui se termine avec le présent tournoi n'a pas trop bien fonctionné. »
Mère voyageuse
Marguerite Mikaelian a passé une bonne partie de la saison à l'étranger, avec Marie-Gaianeh. « J'ai fait quelques voyages cette année, mais pour la tournée européenne c'est le papa qui devrait prendre la relève. J'ai hâte de rentrer à la maison et je vais pouvoir m'occuper des deux plus jeunes. »
Quand on lui demande à qui la joueuse suisse doit ses succès, elle n'hésite pas une seconde. « À son papa. C'est lui le grand responsable et depuis quelque temps nous sommes aidés par un entraîneur français qui reste juste de l'autre côté de la frontière. Mais c'est le père qui fait le gros du travail. »
Le père, il est dentiste d'abord et avant tout. Mais il est aussi un ancien joueur de soccer, un sport qu'il a pratiqué pendant assez longtemps, jusqu'à ce qu'il soit un peu trop vieux. « Il ne fallait pas qu'il s'expose à des blessures, à cause de son travail. C'est par la suite qu'il s'est mis au tennis et il était un bon joueur régional. »
Et il est aussi un grand entraîneur si on en juge par les succès de sa fille.

The Vampiress
Sep 23rd, 2002, 11:23 AM
L'Article agréable, très intéressant

Zamboni
Sep 23rd, 2002, 02:40 PM
My French ain't good enough (or I'm too lazy ;)) to read that article, but it's good she seems to have a coach!

And I agree with Beat, really nice tournament for her! She did great, no matter she lost the final ;)

Beat
Sep 23rd, 2002, 04:00 PM
adnil, most of the article concentrates on marie's match vs. farina-elia.
but at the end it talks about how marie's mom travelled with her during the american hardcourt season, and that that part of the tennis year turned out to be quite disappointing, not everything went so well. it also says that for the upcoming european leg of the tour, her father will take over and that now they're working with a french coach who lives just across the border.

Zamboni
Sep 23rd, 2002, 04:08 PM
ah, thanx Beat :)