PDA

View Full Version : Who'll win the Mercury Music Prize?

MartianJoeyWinson
Sep 17th, 2002, 02:40 AM
I think it has to be The Streets for Original Pirate Material.

The album is just like Marmite, people either love it or hate it, it's totally fresh and charismatic. The lyrics are like urban poetry and some of the tracks are just top notch, bar Melody AM by Royksopp, Original Pirate Material is the best album I have bought this year. I have listened to it God knows how many times and it just still maintains its class.

It's a fantastic infusion of hip-hop, garage and dance, just totally original and therefore deserves to win. If it doesn't, then Roots Manuva should win.

Hurley
Sep 17th, 2002, 03:33 AM
I found the list...outside of the Doves and Bowie, I haven't heard of any of them. Given the Mercury track record, I'm sure they're all quite good in their own way...and this prize is very important in getting acts recognized in the States (at least by the hardcore music aficionados). Gomez was able to break here after they won...sorta ;)

I note with pleasure that "Elastica" was a nominee in '95 :D

Beat
Sep 17th, 2002, 10:06 AM
the nominees are:
roots manuva
doves
beverly knight (:confused: )
gemma hayes
the streets
the coral
joanna macgregor
electric soft parade
the bees
guy barker
david bowie
ms. dynamite

I think as well that the streets are gonna take it, but I guess doves, ms. dynamite and maybe even electric soft parade have a chance.
I'd vote for either the streets or ms. dynamite (though I 've never heard the bees or joanna macgregor or guy barker)

sartrista7
Sep 17th, 2002, 12:46 PM
The shortlist is as crap and tokenistic as ever... I hate the way the Mercury claims to be the award show which is about quality, not the Industry, but that its agenda is just as corporate as, say, the Brits. (Last year - PJ Harvey certainly deserved to win, though it wasn't her best album by any means, but she won for the wrong reasons: firstly as a long-service award, secondly because no solo woman had ever won it - and most people knew she'd win ages beforehand.)

Anyway, The Streets, David Bowie or Doves deserve to win this year, and The Streets will win. Ms Dynamite *should* be as much of a contender, but frankly the album is really patchy. Joanna MacGregor and Guy Barker are probably more talented than anyone else on the list, but the token classical and jazz nominees never win.

Kisha
Sep 17th, 2002, 05:27 PM
Beverley Knight or Ms Dynamite - its about time black british woman got more awards for their work:)

YSL
Sep 17th, 2002, 05:48 PM
If there's any justice in the world.. The Streets will get it. But there isn't, so someone else will :sad:

Kisha
Sep 17th, 2002, 09:29 PM
Ms Dynamire got it!

I knew she would, i said she'd get it! I'm so pleased for her!:bounce: :bounce:

YSL
Sep 17th, 2002, 09:34 PM
Did she? Crikey...

She's gonna clean up at the Mobo's too now..

*rushes off to buy a few shares in her in poPex..*