Sep 4th, 2009, 01:25 PM
would have prefered her to play with Tommy or Kiwi :(

but still quite a nice team! :)

shrOOf
Sep 4th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Great team! :D

Michael!
Sep 4th, 2009, 04:36 PM
I have to agree with Carsten, the combination with Kohlschreiber sucks.
Kiwi/Lisicki again, would have been great, or also with Tommy, but this team doesnt fit together I think.

But good for Sabine, good matches against top players for her again :D

shrOOf
Sep 4th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Haas is too old and doesn't want to play these events anymore. :p Kiefer isn't that successful these days so I think this is a nice team, Kohli also deserves to play a Hopmancup. :)

Michael!
Sep 4th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Haas is too old and doesn't want to play these events anymore. :p Kiefer isn't that successful these days so I think this is a nice team, Kohli also deserves to play a Hopmancup. :)

well, sure, he deserves it, in one way, but I just dont think that they fit together, but we´ll see!

ChrisCologne
Sep 4th, 2009, 06:35 PM
It´s logical though

They ask either the best male or female player to play and then downwards who´s next, so I think Kohli was asked after Haas

Funny thing is though that Germany is asked at all after the Slovakians with Cibulkova aren´t asked to defend their title AT ALL

hellas719
Sep 5th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Nice team :cool:

Nina.
Sep 5th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Kohlschreiber of all people :rolleyes:

Carsten
Sep 6th, 2009, 03:19 AM
Kohlschreiber of all people :rolleyes:

:confused:

ChrisCologne
Sep 6th, 2009, 09:00 AM
With regard to the freshness of teams, I would have prefered Petzschner

So far, 4 teams are set:

Russia
Australia
Germany
Great Britan

Nina.
Sep 6th, 2009, 12:30 PM
:confused:

I just don't like him at all :shrug:

mashasabinefan1
Sep 6th, 2009, 12:45 PM
hopman cup is fun and all but i wish sabine would have played auckland/hobart to get some points

ChrisCologne
Sep 7th, 2009, 08:19 AM
He´s not the greatest attraction when he opens his mouth

His tennis is fine though. I´d love to have him replaced with Petzschner or Kiefer though. I think Kiwi wasn´t asked due to his fall in the rankings due to injury. They ask the players the ranking downwards.

With this team, Germany get´s a solid seed. But if they just seed the top2 teams, that would be Australia and Russia at the moment.

ChrisCologne
Sep 7th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Regarding points, I doubt that. If Sabine is keen on starting the year not with too much pressure, she´s to play at least 3 singles matches same as doubles. When it comes to points, Sydney is by far more interesting to play there if she´s to speak about points. I´m sure she´ll gain enough points to get her a top16 ranking when it comes to the final 8-10 weeks this fall.

_Liv_
Sep 22nd, 2009, 02:58 PM
I like the team:).We will see what happens...

zveeen
Sep 23rd, 2009, 08:35 PM
I hoped Kiwi would play... :(

Craigy
Sep 23rd, 2009, 11:35 PM
Aww I like Kohlschreiber, cute team.

cosmoose
Oct 4th, 2009, 10:21 PM
http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,26160068-5005401,00.html
http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,7023679,00.jpg
A TENNIS grudge match is on the cards for next year's $1 million mixed-team Hopman Cup, with Germany confirmed as the fifth entrant.

World No.26 Sabine Lisicki, who played in the Burswood Dome competition for the first time this year and world No.22 Philipp Kohlschreiber add to an already strong field for the event's 22nd instalment, with all 10 secured players inside the world top 50.

Germany will hit the Perth courts for the January 2-9 tournament alongside Romania, United States, Russia and Australia, with three more teams to be confirmed.

The German team brings with it some history that could see Lisicki out for revenge against Australian representative Samantha Stosur.

Stosur halted the 20-year-old's run in straight sets in the second round of this year's Australian Open before being toppled a round later.

The pair will meet if Australia and Germany are drawn in the same group or if both countries make the final.

Hopman Cup general manager Andrew Firman said he expected the German duo's inclusion to result in a top quality field.

"It's fantastic to have Sabine return after showcasing her talents for the first time here last year," Firman said.

"And Philipp Kohlschreiber is a new face but continues Hopman's tradition of introducing up-and-coming talent to the state.

"We're heading towards having one of our most even fields ever, with all of the teams' players thus far ranked inside the top 50.

"It reinforces what Hopman has established over a long period of time now which is if you come and play Hopman you get quality matches against high-calibre players.

"The only two players outside of (Roger) Federer and (Rafael) Nadal (in the past six years) to win the Australian Open are Novak Djokovic and Marat Safin - they both used Hopman as their only lead-up tournament."

Current world No.15 Stosur and a revived Lleyton Hewitt will head Australia's bid for its second Hopman Cup title, the host country's only previous win coming in 1999 through Mark Phillippoussis and Jelena Dokic.

Romania was yesterday locked in as the tournament's fourth team, with teenager Sorana Cirstea and Victor Hanescu to represent the country.

Russia will be represented by Elena Dementieva and Igor Andreev, while the US will field young talent Melanie Oudin and John Isner.

hellas719
Jan 4th, 2010, 04:05 AM
They lead Russia 1-0 :)
Sabine beat Dementieva 6-4 6-1 :eek::yeah:

Carsten
Jan 4th, 2010, 04:06 AM
impressive:)

mk27
Jan 4th, 2010, 04:31 AM
Yeah. great performance from Sabine. She should be in the Top 20 in a few weeks. But please stay healthy this year.

Mashabator
Jan 4th, 2010, 06:23 AM
:eek: AMAZE SABINE!

Dorien.
Jan 4th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Woow great win!

rucolo
Jan 4th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Very strong win, Sabine!:eek::D:devil:

Hope Sabine takes this impressive form also into Sydney and AO!

But Germany lost vs RUS.:(
Kohlschreiber.:rolleyes:

No idea why some guys post about it in the "Sabine Cheering Thread" when there is a Thread for Hopman Cup here.:o

mk27
Jan 6th, 2010, 03:58 AM
Sabine won 7-6 6-3 against Laura Robson

Not the best performance from her.

But at least a win is a win. ;)

hellas719
Jan 6th, 2010, 04:03 AM
Sabine :banana:

cosmoose
Jan 6th, 2010, 06:07 AM
Murray is asskicking the German team.
Kohlschreiber is totally useless. :rolleyes:

Mashabator
Jan 6th, 2010, 06:22 AM
Yay well done beating Laura today! Sabine needs a better male partner!!!

Nina.
Jan 6th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Good to see Sabine winning again. Should give her some confidence going into the Australian Open!

Murray is asskicking the German team.
Kohlschreiber is totally useless. :rolleyes:

Is that really a surprise? He was useless the whole last year :rolleyes:

Michael!
Jan 6th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Pretty bad performance from Sabine, but at leat a win! :)
She is wasting too many chances, especially in the first set, she should have won it easilier, against player like Robson it is still enough, but against topplayers it won´t be!
First service percentage and footwork were pretty bad again, hopefully she can improve her game against Shvedova!

Kohlschreiber, no surprise that he lost against Murray, as posters said above, he just sucks for ages now, hopefully we´ll have some stronger guy beside her next year, as Sabine´s record at the HC in singles is quite impressive so far: 4-1 :drool:

mk27
Jan 6th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Sabine needs a better male partner!!!

Kohlschreiber, no surprise that he lost against Murray, as posters said above, he just sucks for ages now, hopefully we´ll have some stronger guy beside her next year, as Sabine´s record at the HC in singles is quite impressive so far: 4-1 :drool:

Yes of course, but who should be this :confused:

Kohlschreiber is Germany's number 2 behind Haas and i don't think that Haas will play for a long time.

Michael!
Jan 6th, 2010, 10:51 AM

Kohlschreiber is Germany's number 2 behind Haas and i don't think that Haas will play for a long time.

In the current shape Kohlschreiber many German players would be a better choice, he is just in bad shape....
Sure, when he plays at his best, he is a good player but if he continues like this he won´t be German No.2 in the end of 2010, there are players like Andreas Beck who have a quite good perspective to become German No.1 soon as Haas is injured half of the time anyway :o

Even a healthy Kiefer would have done better than Kohlschreiber this year...

Nina.
Jan 6th, 2010, 10:51 AM

Agree about Haas. It's definitely time for some new player to come up. I mean, it's not a shame to lose against Murray, he's top 5 player, but at this point German male players are not exactly winning a lot of matches no matter who the opponent is :shrug:

rucolo
Jan 6th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Bad play from Sabine, but still won in 2 sets. Nice!:)

Germany lost vs GBR.:(

They should win vs KAZ!

hellas719
Jan 6th, 2010, 11:55 PM
Maybe Georgoudas is the next German star? :shrug:
But I have a feeling that his days as a German are coming to an end...I think he will play for Greece. He does have a German mother, but a Greek father and he was born and raised in Thessaloniki until he was 15 when he moved to Germany and Greece already gave him MD WC's in both of our challengers in 2009. Anyways, if he plays for Germany, I think he can be their next star :)

mk27
Jan 8th, 2010, 04:03 AM
Lisicki lost 4:6 6:7 against Shvedova

She had to play much better, if she wants to win a round in Sydney.

hellas719
Jan 8th, 2010, 04:17 AM
OMG :help:

mk27
Jan 8th, 2010, 05:46 AM
I don't think, she took it that serious. ;)

Qalahari
Jan 8th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Shvedova is a strong player to whom the Hopman Cup is reeeeally important. No shame losing to her!

Michael!
Jan 8th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Well, Shvedova can be dangerous, we all know that, nevertheless Sabine has to beat such a player normally, no doubt about that.
But she wasnt in good shape here, maybe needs some matches to get in good shape after some hard training in the off season and she beat at least Dementieva and Robson here.
And as mk27 said, I am sure she wasnt 100% motivated anymore, was more like some exhibition match, but she definetly has to play better in Sydney!

ChrisCologne
Jan 8th, 2010, 12:15 PM
We don´t know about the off-court circumstances too

The match vs. Kazachstan, Germany was the only team of the 4 teams who could not make it to the finals anyway

Therefore, Kazachstan would have been highly motivated

Concernin the German team, might have been Kohlschreiber gave up due to poor form and wasn´t that off-court super-combination with Sabine

If this resulted in some off-court distance between the 2 (not argument, but just distancing from one another), this might have resulted in some sort of disappointment for Sabine too who had some very fond memories from last year with Kiwi

I don´t think Kohlschreiber is a) famous as a character for fans and b) famous for this willingness to hang in when a match is in balance of winning or losing it. Therefore, might have been the wrong choice after that hell of a loss against Murray and that loss in mixed was a logical result

I´m disappointed about their performance just simply for the reason of a re-invitation. Last year, they pretty much had a shot at and, possibly, in the finals. Sabine had a breakthrough regarding fans there with her positive attitude and image, but this year, nobody cared for Germany due to not having a chance for achieving anything result-wise (all mixed lost). I´ve my doubts if a steady re-invitation is the basis of the Hopman cup. More or less, they often invite promising teams as we see with Great Britain and it could very well be that next year Argentina with del Potro or other nations like Belgium with Henin or such a thing could get an invitation. But I like that competition and really hope that Kiwi or Haas as the most determined German players play with Lisicki next time!

cosmoose
Jan 8th, 2010, 01:15 PM
I didn't see her last match but all through the week Sabine just couldn't get her first serve in.
She won't be beating anyone consistently with 40% first serve percentage.
When they are not going in, she should consider serving 3/4 first serve.
Sabine's 3/4 first serve is still better than most girls' first serve.

rucolo
Jan 8th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Bad loss, Sabine!:(:help:

Pathetic!

Never thought they would lose vs KAZ.:o

Langers
Jan 8th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Not too worried about the loss, Schvedova is a very talented player and on her day can jusst about beat anyone. I'm just disappointed in Kohlschreiber, all week he didn't really seem to be overly committed. Sabine was, as usual, always laughing and joking around in the mixed and yet Phillip never seemed to respond. And as for his actual level of play, very poor. Singles he got worse with every match (what the heck happened today...) and his play in the mixed was terrible, gave Germany no chance.

Decent week for Lisicki, she got decent preparation and seemed to enjoy herself.

We don´t know about the off-court circumstances too

The match vs. Kazachstan, Germany was the only team of the 4 teams who could not make it to the finals anyway

Therefore, Kazachstan would have been highly motivated

Concernin the German team, might have been Kohlschreiber gave up due to poor form and wasn´t that off-court super-combination with Sabine

If this resulted in some off-court distance between the 2 (not argument, but just distancing from one another), this might have resulted in some sort of disappointment for Sabine too who had some very fond memories from last year with Kiwi

I don´t think Kohlschreiber is a) famous as a character for fans and b) famous for this willingness to hang in when a match is in balance of winning or losing it. Therefore, might have been the wrong choice after that hell of a loss against Murray and that loss in mixed was a logical result

I´m disappointed about their performance just simply for the reason of a re-invitation. Last year, they pretty much had a shot at and, possibly, in the finals. Sabine had a breakthrough regarding fans there with her positive attitude and image, but this year, nobody cared for Germany due to not having a chance for achieving anything result-wise (all mixed lost). I´ve my doubts if a steady re-invitation is the basis of the Hopman cup. More or less, they often invite promising teams as we see with Great Britain and it could very well be that next year Argentina with del Potro or other nations like Belgium with Henin or such a thing could get an invitation. But I like that competition and really hope that Kiwi or Haas as the most determined German players play with Lisicki next time!
Very thoughtful post, agree with a lot of it.

I realy hope she returns to Hopman Cup again next year. I think if she had a choice she certainly would return but after seeing what Kohlschreiber produced this week, I highly doubt he'll be back again in 2011. By that stage will Haas/Keifer be around? Who knows, and is there anyone else up and coming from Germany who could represent them? I hope Sabine had an enjoyable week even if it wasn't quite the success she had hoped for. :)

ChrisCologne
Jan 9th, 2010, 10:35 AM
IMO, Kiwi stated he´ll continue till the Olympics to have a chance once again to compete (in doubles)

As there´ll be mixed, ALG and Lisicki are the obvious choices to represent Germany within that competition as for the girls, too

I´d love to see Germany being re-invited for a third straight time but I think the Australian have the policy of inviting new names and nations just for mixing things. I think it was only due to the fact that Sabine was THE story of last year as Robson is of this year

My guess is the the re-invitation of the next year is definetely Great Britain with Robson and Murray being a force even more by then

The fact that might be a chance though is that the Hopman cup has six slots left open each year with Australia and the qualyfing Asian nation taking part, but those 6 spots often represents 10-12 nations famous for tennis and then are filled with players willing to play and then let the rankings or diversity decide if to invite or not

I believe that the thing goes that they ask the male player from 1 of each nation if he´s willing to play. So, Haas declined. They asked Kohli, he was willing. Then they ask the girl, and she accepted. A team is set, now compare that with the rankings of other teams if they make it to the draw

Hopefully, next year, or the year after the signs are set for London 2012 and both Kiefer and Haas get a nice climb in rankings and form

mk27
Jan 9th, 2010, 11:09 AM
I don't think that Kiefer will play next year. He doesn't want to play qualifying in Melbourne and i think he will retire this year. Haas won't play Hopman Cup because of his injury there 5 years ago.