PDA

View Full Version : Top Russian

CellJr300
Sep 17th, 2002, 01:57 AM
Just wondering who you think will be the #1 Russian at the end of the year.

Unless Myskina has a terrible rest of the fall I'm thinking it will be her.

TheBoiledEgg
Sep 17th, 2002, 08:23 AM
Anastasia has already guaranteed her position as #1 unless Elena D wins Lepizig, Moscow, Filderstadt

or Anna or Elena B does the same

[S@nti]
Sep 17th, 2002, 10:13 PM
Anastasia this year, but Vera will be the best next year :D

the cat
Sep 18th, 2002, 03:05 AM
Which Vera? Z or D? ;)

Jordan.
Sep 18th, 2002, 03:36 AM
Yes,I agree on Vera Z being the #1 Russian next year..... :D

ys
Sep 18th, 2002, 01:30 PM
Next year - you never know. Anna can come back. Elena D. can come back. Lina or Nadya can too. Elena B. is on her way up. Potentially neither of them is a worse player than Vera or Nastya. Dinara can greatly improve too. We are having a breakthrough year in 2002 ( exceeding a total of 10 finals and 5 titles by yearend would not surprise me ). 2003 can be the year we are going to start our domination of WTA..;)

fresh2flash
Sep 18th, 2002, 02:55 PM
And that`s the way it is...

the cat
Sep 18th, 2002, 03:27 PM
Domination? Please ys, hold your horses! There will be alot of female Russian success stories written over in the coming years. But they will never dominate the way the American women have for so many years. But I'd like to see 20 Russian women in the WTA's top 100 ranking. That's possible. And I think at some point there could be 2 or 3 Russian women in the WTA's top ten! But to expect any of these Russian girls to be able to displace the Willimas sisters, Davenport and Capriati from the top over the next few years is asking for alot. But the prospects of the under age 18 Russian girls are very promising indeed!

It's been a good year overall for female Russian tennis. Especially when you take the youngsters into account. But I am so dissapointed in the continued titleless play of Dementieva and Kournikova! :sad: They seem absolutely clueless on how to win! :eek:

The Russian men? A big dissapointment. No titles for Safin. Kafelnikov and Youzhny have one each. But the Russian men can save their year by winning their first Davis Cup. The pressure is on bigtime! :eek:

TheBoiledEgg
Sep 18th, 2002, 03:31 PM
Jen, Lindsay will be finished by 2004/05
Venus/Serena will probably retire by then.

Tennis moves very quickly indeed, who would have thought Hingis would be a has-been by end of 2002 ???

BTW....Zhenya has 2 titles (Halle and Tashkent)

ys
Sep 18th, 2002, 03:49 PM
Jen looks like she starts to fade already. Davenport will be Top 10, but she won't be a dominant player again. Even at her best Anna and Elena D. would give her all sorts of problems. Who else? Dokic will plummet in rankings soon, and she is the first candidate for burnout. Henin is a great player, but as a player of limited physical abilities she has no potential for being a dominant player. Clijsters has injuries. Seles will soon be gone. Who are we left with? The sisters and Hingis.. And all three are mysteries. Hantuchova? I am still quite sceptical about her.

Next year we will be in double figures in titles with 10 Top 50 players.

Nina_rus
Sep 18th, 2002, 04:00 PM
you forgot about Mauresmo...

TheBoiledEgg
Sep 18th, 2002, 04:14 PM
i can't see her ever dominating not the way past #1 have
she might do an ASV or Pierce

CellJr300
Sep 18th, 2002, 05:17 PM
Davenport, Hingis, Serena/Venus will still be around, but the only question would be whether they will still have a desire to win. I could see Lindsay still wanting to be the best in a few years, same for Hingis. Serena will prabably be too wrapped up in all her acting and other outside activities she wants to get involved in. I have always thought Venus treated tennis as a job, I don't think she really has a passion for it, so maybe in a few years she will think she has had enough of it and leave. The only 2 top players still around all the time will most likely be Hingis/Davenport.

That leaves a lot of spaces open for plenty of young players. I still see Hantuchova, Dokic, Clijsters, and Henin being around. As for the Russians, there will be many of them in the top 50. I personally see it as being a toss up over who will be the #1 on any given week. Dementieva, Kournikova, Myskina, Bovina, and Zvonareva are the ones that I see being in contention, and that is just because I haven't had the chance to see a lot of the younger ones play, so I can't put them ahead of those 5.

TheBoiledEgg
Sep 18th, 2002, 05:28 PM
Lina & Nadya at their best and injury free are awesome
top class.

CellJr300
Sep 18th, 2002, 07:13 PM
When will they be injury free though, I had almost forgot that Nadia even played tennis until I started working on a results project and came across her name again.

It seems unfortunately that right when a Russian player is about to have a big breakthrough they get injured. It happened to Kournikova, Krasnoroutskaya, Petrova, Myskina, and I'm sure plenty others.

timray
Jun 2nd, 2005, 10:22 PM
Jen, Lindsay will be finished by 2004/05
Venus/Serena will probably retire by then.

Tennis moves very quickly indeed, who would have thought Hingis would be a has-been by end of 2002 ???

BTW....Zhenya has 2 titles (Halle and Tashkent)

Wrong :lol:

timray
Jun 2nd, 2005, 10:23 PM
Jen looks like she starts to fade already. Davenport will be Top 10, but she won't be a dominant player again. Even at her best Anna and Elena D. would give her all sorts of problems. Who else? Dokic will plummet in rankings soon, and she is the first candidate for burnout. Henin is a great player, but as a player of limited physical abilities she has no potential for being a dominant player. Clijsters has injuries. Seles will soon be gone. Who are we left with? The sisters and Hingis.. And all three are mysteries. Hantuchova? I am still quite sceptical about her.

Next year we will be in double figures in titles with 10 Top 50 players.

Wrong :lol: :lol:

timray
Jun 2nd, 2005, 10:24 PM
Lina & Nadya at their best and injury free are awesome
top class.

Wrong :lol: :lol: :lol:

_LuCaS_
Jun 2nd, 2005, 10:26 PM
Tennis is unpredictable indeed :lol:

vaiva
Jun 3rd, 2005, 10:59 AM
Bumping old threads and laughing is easy. 2+ years in tennis is a lot. At least both Sergey's were/are posting their opinions and predictions, otherwise this forum would be just a bunch of smilies + davay or nothingness that GL posts 10 times a day in each thread.

And if ys and TBE had crystal balls to make every prediction right, I'm pretty sure they'd be spending their time in some surfers paradise rather than surfing wtahell.com :p