PDA

View Full Version : 2009 was a total blow - 2010 is gonna rock! *ajdefistpump!*

Marilyn Monheaux
Sep 2nd, 2009, 02:06 AM
So, Ana ended the year with 3 consecutive losses and now a withdrawl from Beijing:sad:

China Open withdrawal

October 03, 2009 /

Ana has been forced to withdraw from the China Open due to an upper respiratory tract infection.

Ana has written about this and the entire season in her latest diary entry.

Season review / October 03, 2009
I guess having to withdraw from Beijing is an appropriate ending to a very disappointing season. This trip to Asia has been a big disappointment and I have struggled with my health pretty much since I arrived. I am sorry to my supporters who were hoping to see me play here in Beijing. It's very disappointing for me as well, to come here, see the amazing facility they have and not have the energy to be able to step onto court. I can only look forward to coming back here next year.

It's especially disappointing because I was hoping to be able to see some improvements before the season ended. I have gone through a lot of training and physical changes over the past few months, which have mostly remained private until now... My body is quite fragile at the moment, because I over-trained during the first part of the year. This was, I think, what caused me to have many small injuries this season.

Instead of being patient and accepting that my best form was almost impossible due to physical limitations, I was always over-thinking things, and I never dealt with it very well. The season was a continuation of going from one disappointment to another. If I had dealt better with these setbacks, I would have had a lot more success.

I also found it very tough to switch off and have a proper break over the past year or so, partly because of these physical problems. Actually, I don't think I can remember the last time I had a proper holiday: I was always doing some kind of fitness or recovery work during my holidays, and that meant that I wasn't able to switch off from tennis. I guess I just want it so badly.

As you may have noticed, I completely changed my serve after Wimbledon. This was because of my shoulder: if I continued serving and training the way I was, I would have almost certainly picked up a serious injury. My team and I are confident that I will be able to go back to my old service motion when I start practising again in November.

On the positive side, I am still No.11 in the world. I have no clue how I am ranked so highly, but to look on the bright side, I can't play any worse than I did this year and I'm still in the top 20!

I've learnt so much this year. It's a bit little bit like a few years ago, when I was ranked around No.14 for almost an entire year, and everyone was asking me, "when are you going to reach the top 10?" Within a year I was there, and within two years I was No.1. Sometimes you have to go through these experiences in order to become a better player.

Despite my disappointments there is nog a single doubt in my mind that I will reach the top again and win Grand Slams.

One other positive to come out of all this is that I realised what a great team I have around me: they never doubted me, they supported me so well and did everything they could to assist me. I am very grateful to them all: my family, coaches and management.

I have appointed a new fitness coach, whom I will tell you more about later. Over the next month or so I can have a great break. I can rest without thinking about any future tournaments, then train and practise hard for the new season.

I have a lot to look forward to. Now is the time to rest, recharge, and come back stronger.

Love
Ana

P.S. I'd like to thank my loyal supporters for their encouragement this year. The journey is never easy!

There is not much I could add to this!

It's truely disappointing, but I would like to believe that she's able to turn it around!

2010 is gonna rock:rocker2:

AstuteLearner8
Sep 2nd, 2009, 02:08 AM
2009 is over. Expect a lethargic Ana :sad:

MarieC
Sep 2nd, 2009, 02:09 AM
Ana definitely needs to start playing the ITF events again. Persistent losing in the early rounds of Premier events is only going to make things even worse. She needs to get that winning feeling back, cause right now she feels like a loser and thats not the mindset you want to be in.

Horizon
Sep 2nd, 2009, 02:17 AM
At least when she's not top 10 she can have a bit more freedom, but who knows what events she will play. She probably doesnt even decide herself. I agree with MarieC, she needs to get back into the habit if winning. She doesn't seem to know how to at the moment. I think her game is actually in a better place than it was in early 2009. We've now had 2 NEAR vintage Ana 2 set wins, but they just didn't quite make it, and propmtly turned into long, drawn out, 3 set, scrambling losses.

At least she clearly wanted this match. It meant something to her, and she is still a well known name, she can't just disappear into the background of women's tennis. She had the desire to track down every ball she could and win the points, and she came very close. I am devastated to be honest.

Off topic: Rolex must be shitting themselves after signing her at #1 and FO champ :lol:

cowking
Sep 2nd, 2009, 02:20 AM
Maybe she should just start practicing harder and take everything with a grain of salt. I still don't think she's totally regressed, Bondarenko was a tough opening round opponent and she's been in form so I don't think the loss is as miserable as it seems. Though her choke was inexcusable, and I can't find anything redeeming about that.

It maybe seems too simple but it's possible that she could eventually just play her way back into form. We've seen what she's capable of, we know her game is still there.

spiritedenergy
Sep 2nd, 2009, 02:27 AM
her game is there, the game in the first and half set today and against safarova is not going to make her win slams, but for sure it's enough for top 20 or top 10. so she really needs a psychologist:o

Loungy
Sep 2nd, 2009, 02:43 AM
A lobotomy. Or beach time with Adam, idk.

At this point, I can see a sports psychologist inspiring Ana to buy a hundred books on the subject and quitting tennis to pursue a college degree more easily than I can see her game improving. Tough times.

jelenacg
Sep 2nd, 2009, 02:47 AM
her game is there, the game in the first and half set today and against safarova is not going to make her win slams, but for sure it's enough for top 20 or top 10. so she really needs a psychologist:o

Sure she does but it`s not like whatever is bothering her can be fixed in a few month :tape::tape:
She can spend many years on the sofa trying to figure out why she can`t toss the ball in a right way or why she has panic attacks on court
She needs to relax more on court and to figure out why she started playing in the first place
Ana needs to find that love for competing again

gaviotabr
Sep 2nd, 2009, 03:02 AM
I think she should take the rest of the year off. She should think what she wants and what she is willing to do.. come back when she actually enjoys on court.. she always looks like she is suffering.

jelenacg
Sep 2nd, 2009, 03:07 AM
I think she should take the rest of the year off. She should think what she wants and what she is willing to do.. come back when she actually enjoys on court.. she always looks like she is suffering.

Yes but i don`t see that happening
Too many obligations with the sponsors Adidas,Yonex,Rolex,Verano ....
I don`t think she is in a position to quit and get back when she wants to

Off topic: Rolex must be shitting themselves after signing her at #1 and FO champ
:worship::worship::worship::lol::lol:

spiritedenergy
Sep 2nd, 2009, 03:11 AM
yes she has the pressure from the sponsors too... that must be huge, so many millions, yonex figures were up to 100 millions or something...

but it mostly comes from herself, she's a perfectionist... hantuchova was saying the same...

Curtos07
Sep 2nd, 2009, 03:19 AM
Serious quesstion. Will Ana win another match this year? She has two tournaments left on her schedule (Tokyo and Beijing). I am not to optimistic. I think gaviotabr is right, she should just take the rest of the year off and regroup. :sobbing:

Stevecw
Sep 2nd, 2009, 01:44 PM
She has to end 2009 right now. Forget about the 2 tourneys she is meant to play.
The girl hates playing tennis right now, you can tell by her. She needs a long break.

Then start again for 2010 and that will be a huge year for her...she either recovers or if things keep going like they did this year i can see her walking away from tennis sadly :(

Langers
Sep 2nd, 2009, 02:45 PM
I agree with this. Personally I think she's mentally in such a bad way right now there's not much point playing out the season. Take a nice long, relaxing break, don't even think about tennis for 3 months, then in December start preparing for the Aussie summer. :yeah:

And as for playing ITF's, she doesn't need to go that low. :tape: Lower, Wozniacki type events, would do fine. But as I said, I think she'd be better off taking some time away from the game. She's mentally exhausted right now.

DownTheLine21
Sep 2nd, 2009, 02:55 PM
Yes. She should definitely take the rest of the year off and evaluate both herself and her game. Put the tennis racket away for 2 months or so. If the fire comes back, then she can start to train and practice again. If not, well, it was nice while it lasted.

She mentioned that she's never had an extended break from tennis, so perhaps this is on her mind.

gaviotabr
Sep 2nd, 2009, 03:02 PM
She probably won't though.. I guess she will get these 3-4 weeks off, then play Tokyo and Beijing and then holidays.

Just the fact that she mentioned she was thinking about a break right before her match is very telling regarding how she is not enjoying tennis at all now. She is playing a slam.. the last of the season.. a chance for her to do well.. and she is thinking about taking a break.

What puzzles me though.. is that she seemed better at Wimbledon.. and came back from her month off with this attitude. So while I think she should get the rest of the year off and come back when she desired to play.. I'm not sure it will work either.. Her break now did her nothing good.

Isha312
Sep 2nd, 2009, 03:56 PM
She probably won't though.. I guess she will get these 3-4 weeks off, then play Tokyo and Beijing and then holidays.

Just the fact that she mentioned she was thinking about a break right before her match is very telling regarding how she is not enjoying tennis at all now. She is playing a slam.. the last of the season.. a chance for her to do well.. and she is thinking about taking a break.

What puzzles me though.. is that she seemed better at Wimbledon.. and came back from her month off with this attitude. So while I think she should get the rest of the year off and come back when she desired to play.. I'm not sure it will work either.. Her break now did her nothing good.

But she did say how she was rehabbing or practicing so it didn't feel like a real break. Hopefully now she'll just go off and not think about tennis.

bruce goose
Sep 2nd, 2009, 04:54 PM
Feedback is welcome on THIS one:

What concerns me a bit is when I look at the ten women who are ranked ahead of Ana right now.Though I don't know THAT much about #10 Flavia,all signs are that she has a lot of legit friends in her circle.As for the others,they all seem to have at least ONE person in her life whom they can turn to when times go bad.
1.Dinara:Marat,Kuzy
2. and 3.Serena and Venus:Each other,plus quite a few other folks
4.Elena:Mom
5.JJ: Ditto
6.Kuzy: Dina and a couple other Russian players
7. and 9. Vera Z. and Vika are often doubles partners
8.Caro:The Radwanska sisters plus her dad

This is only a cursory list that came off my head...what worries me is that Ana appears to have NO ONE that she can trust in her life for strong counsel when things are tough.It's only human nature for us to seek comfort from someone reliable when we have problems.Even Steffi Graf,who was a polite yet solitary figure when she played,had her dad to count on.I haven't heard Ana mention ANYthing about talking things over with anyone to get a clear,refreshing perspective.While it's understandable that someone would keep serious family matters private,it's no confidential,top secret to chat with someone for advice;Ana's mentioned doing this in the past.

A lovely Ana fan told me that she was friends with Sanja Ancic and that she had a female cousin who was close.Why isn't Ana seeking them out??Most all of her ATP 'friends' are apparently as worthless as teats on a bull,but maybe Novak could comfort her now...though his gf might not be too trusting of his spending time with Ana(for obvious reasons),he could chat with Ana even for 30 minutes while she waited and read a magazine in the next room...whatever.We can see why Ana no longer trusts most of the people who are linked with Adidas but,right now,she looks like a rudderless ship that completely lacks direction:sad::sad:...and,even worse,she doesn't have anyone who's trying to help her get on track:help::help::help:

jelenacg
Sep 2nd, 2009, 06:02 PM
I think she is just tired of all of this just like we are.She had many injuries,then the recovery time and when she finally played some good tennis at Wimbledon she gets injured again :tape:It`s just too much for her
I don`t blame her for wanting to take a break.She has spent a whole season playing like crap ,getting injured and trying to be positive.All that time she didn`t mention anything about the break so i guess it has come to the end
If we are feeling bad can you imagine how she feels ? :sad:
My only hope is that Ana will find a good tennis coach and a fitness coach for the next season .And starting preparation in December is very late if you ask me considering the fact that she wasn`t been able to fix that stupid serve whole year so it would be very optimistic of us too believe it can be fixed in a month :tape::tape:
I`m not expecting her to play great in January but at least to fix that serve and ball toss.If Ana comes back in January with the crappy serve i think we all know what to expect from that season
Ana is now probably taking some time off and she isn`t thinking about finding a right coach but her team should if they want this agony to stop
But considering the choices they have made this year this is not looking good at all imo and that is the saddest part

gaviotabr
Sep 2nd, 2009, 06:15 PM
From twitter:

Cahill says he thinks Ana needs to take a break and take care of her body. She's breaking down physically. Spoke with her for 1.5 hours yest
Says she's been doing all her work at tourneys and there's too many eyes on her and pressure. Needs to go back and build a physical base.
29 minutes ago from TweetDeck

http://twitter.com/FortyDeuceTwits

I wonder if they consider the posibility of all the injuries having being a result of her mental state.

gaviotabr
Sep 2nd, 2009, 06:16 PM
I think she is just tired of all of this just like we are.She had many injuries,then the recovery time and when she finally played some good tennis at Wimbledon she gets injured again :tape:It`s just too much for her
I don`t blame her for wanting to take a break.She has spent a whole season playing like crap ,getting injured and trying to be positive.All that time she didn`t mention anything about the break so i guess it has come to the end
My only hope is that Ana will find a good tennis coach and a fitness coach for the next season .And starting preparation in December is very late if you ask me considering the fact that she wasn`t been able to fix that stupid serve whole year so it would be very optimistic of us too believe it can be fixed in a month :tape::tape:
I`m not expecting her to play great in January but at least to fix that serve and ball toss.If Ana comes back in January with the crappy serve i think we all know what to expect from that season
Ana is now probably taking some time off and she isn`t thinking about finding a right coach but her team should if they want this agony to stop
But considering the choices they have made this year this is not looking good at all imo and that is the saddest part

Agreed Jelena. Though I'm beginning to think she might get a new fitness coach.. but not a full time tennis coach. I don't see any comments in that direction..

spiritedenergy
Sep 2nd, 2009, 06:17 PM
From twitter:

I wonder if they consider the posibility of all the injuries having being a result of her mental state.

but why did she dump her fitness coach? I don't know what to say, it doesn't make much sense from Cahill...

jelenacg
Sep 2nd, 2009, 06:32 PM
Agreed Jelena. Though I'm beginning to think she might get a new fitness coach.. but not a full time tennis coach. I don't see any comments in that direction..

Well the she won`t improve anything regarding her tennis and that is just very wrong
Her game needs so much attention not just a few hours of work
She is not breaking down physically but mentally imo.All of this is bc of her head
But yes she needs a fitness coach as well

Illusionist
Sep 2nd, 2009, 06:54 PM
It seems she doesn't even know what to do anymore. I'm with her whatever she decides. It's tough. Should she take a break, it might cost her ranking positions next year. Her points at this moment would grant her ranking around no.20. But what if the break affects her results at the beginning of 2010. She could fall out of top 30.. That means tough draws and I don't think she really needs that.

If she decides to play until the end of the year, I hope she'll enter some smaller events.

Illusionist
Sep 2nd, 2009, 06:56 PM

Everything you said... :worship: So true.

Mixo
Sep 2nd, 2009, 07:29 PM
From twitter:

Cahill's the man. I want him to be the FT coach Ana needs, I think we wont ever see this though. Well, he is always working with ESPN, isnt he? I hope adidas fire him cause of it and Ana gets the chance :p

bruce goose
Sep 2nd, 2009, 08:53 PM
Wimbledon was an illusion this year:Ana barely survived against sub-Top 50 Hradecka,then nearly lost the 1st set to clay-courter Errani who's horrendous on grass.Even the win over Stosur was deceptive b/c,for some reason,Sam has always stunk on grass,too.The injury only sugarcoated what WOULD'Ve been the result vs. Venus(and gave Ana a poor excuse to avoid tennis);Venus would've won that match 6-1,6-0 most likely and was totally outclassing her...a far cry from their competitive Zurich 2008 match.

It gives me ZERO pleasure to look back at pre-Zurich/Linz 2008 when I saw signs that Ana might become another Jaeger or Capriati flameout.Everyone thought I was exaggerating or crazy...doesn't look so crazy now:sad::sad::sad:.The ONE bright period,the one respite from the slump,came while she started getting serious with Nando.THAT'S when she pushed Venus to the limit at Zurich(where only miraculous serving saved VW)and took charge at Linz.I'd say her virus at YEC was a legitimately-tough obstacle.We can only guess what happened,but I'll bet you that Nando at least halfway encouraged Ana to go for her shots and play the style that brought her success...that he gave her some confidence to try her best.Yeah,he was an obnoxious flirty-boy with other gals sometimes but he gave a damn about Ana's tennis and invested lots of time with her...never thought I'd miss Nando when he first came into the picture

I truly hope that she can find someone who can offer both good advice AND a compassionate,listening ear...someone who can help her 'find herself'...for lack of a better term(even if that means life w/o tennis)....Don't know if that's Cahill,Novak,Sanja Ancic,Ana's cousin...wtf,I'd even become a RAFA fan if he proved he was a TRUE friend by doing something to pick her up(though I seriously doubt that'll happen;he's still searching for that magic supplement).Ana surely needs a little time for herself yet I pray that she isn't stuck in this mess while attempting to go it alone.Losing Ana would be a Titanic-sinking caliber setback for the WTA,IMO:help:

gaviotabr
Sep 2nd, 2009, 09:29 PM
Well the she won`t improve anything regarding her tennis and that is just very wrong
Her game needs so much attention not just a few hours of work
She is not breaking down physically but mentally imo.All of this is bc of her head
But yes she needs a fitness coach as well

Agreed. I also think she is breaking down mentally.. it's as clear as water in matches, and I believe the injuries can also be a part of that.

I don't understand how these all experienced coaches can't see it.

Illusionist
Sep 2nd, 2009, 11:55 PM
Venus would've won that match 6-1,6-0

coulda shoulda woulda...
And how would Venus pull the 2nd set when Ana got the first game of 2nd set :rolleyes:
I think you're wrong about Wimbledon, she played way better than here. If you compare this to Wimbledon, it was 2 levels higher game than it is now.

I just hope this is just a period. I'd like her to do well in Tokyo and Beijing and reach at least one quarters. I refuse to believe it can go worse than this!!! :tape: :help:

bruce goose
Sep 3rd, 2009, 01:46 AM
coulda shoulda woulda...
And how would Venus pull the 2nd set when Ana got the first game of 2nd set :rolleyes:
I think you're wrong about Wimbledon, she played way better than here. If you compare this to Wimbledon, it was 2 levels higher game than it is now.

I just hope this is just a period. I'd like her to do well in Tokyo and Beijing and reach at least one quarters. I refuse to believe it can go worse than this!!! :tape: :help:If you watched carefully,you'd have seen that Venus tanked that game b/c she took pity on Ana who was already limping;it was obvious that she couldn't finish so Vee just slapped puffballs away to end those points quickly.

...And we disagree here;I'd say that she sucked at Wimbledon,barely,luckily(undeservedly) surviving the nobody Hradecka and struggling badly vs. Errani who's awful on grass.Beating Stosur was so-so but it's no big deal...like beating Sharapova on clay...you don't brag about it....And she looked like an ITF newbie vs. Venus...as if she didn't belong on the same court.If you call THAT high-quality play,then it proves how low the expectations for Ana have gotten.She may have been a LITTLE better at Wimbledon---but that ain't saying much...like saying that a single stabbing wound isn't as bad as having severe third-degree burns....It's true but it's no big cause for optimism....However,aye DO share your hope that she can shock the world by turning things around;it hurts to see this

AstuteLearner8
Sep 3rd, 2009, 01:55 AM
I really hope Ana plays Hopman Cup with Novak, that would be hilarious and Ana would have a fun time. But other than that, Ana wants this season to be over quick.

bruce goose
Sep 3rd, 2009, 02:42 AM
I really hope Ana plays Hopman Cup with Novak, that would be hilarious and Ana would have a fun time.^^Awesome idea:worship:

gaviotabr
Sep 3rd, 2009, 02:56 PM
I was thinking about this Ana rumour.. for one part I think it would be good for her to take time off... on another hand.. thinking about all her recent matches.. she doesn't know how to win anymore.. and that comes from not winning, from not playing matches.. she has barely played this year.. I think she has the least matches played in the top 100.

spiritedenergy
Sep 3rd, 2009, 04:59 PM
from e5dowsonj in GM:

I think she should just end her year right now. Take a month off, do absolutely nothing tennis related. Just lie on a beach for a month is that's what she really wants to do. The next month, start light training again and see a sports psychologist. November/December intense training. Sort out that ball toss! Work on a new on court demeanor; she gets way to excited and worked up these days against opponents she should be brushing aside. Come back next year playing smaller events until the confidence is there. And most importantly: do not expect miricles to happen! She cannot expect to be her old self after these 3 months off - that was the easy part, the hard part begins in 2010.

Totally agree. She needs to understand that it's going to be a slow recovery, with a lot of hard work and defeats, it's not going to happen right away.

gaviotabr
Sep 3rd, 2009, 05:18 PM
I wish Ana had 1/20 of Safina's luck. Seriously.

spiritedenergy
Sep 3rd, 2009, 05:25 PM
Oudin is playing very well and Ana beat her rather easily... so weird. Czink also was playing good this summer, Bondarenko too... Only Stosur has been pretty awful...

If Ana could play like in the first set, and with that calmness, she would be top 5... i wonder can't anyone in her team see that? She needs to keep cool and if she's losing just NOT get crazy and worked up, taking it like a job.

gaviotabr
Sep 3rd, 2009, 05:39 PM
Oudin is playing very well and Ana beat her rather easily... so weird. Czink also was playing good this summer, Bondarenko too... Only Stosur has been pretty awful...

If Ana could play like in the first set, and with that calmness, she would be top 5... i wonder can't anyone in her team see that? She needs to keep cool and if she's losing just NOT get crazy and worked up, taking it like a job.

If Ana had been able to win the match in 2 sets, I would have said she played well. But she lets any point get into her head and loses focus. Serving at 3-2 (30-15, if I'm not mistaken), she hit about 3 smashes, always into K. Bond's hands. The last save went like a lob and hit the line. Very unlucky for Ana. She went on to lose about 6 points in a row with errors. She completely loses concentration. I couldn't believe how she managed to lose that point, she should have just hit behind K. Bond. And I guess that kept going in her head as well. She needs to have a short memory.. And more luck.. she could still have hit those 3 smashes and won the point if the save had gone out. But she has no such luck.. nothing goes her way. She isn't keeping her cool.. and doesn't know how to win anymore. It was amazing how at the end of the 3rd set she didn't try to cut down the errors.. The worst about this slump is that Ana gets herself in a winning position and fails. Almost everytime. She doesn't know how or what to do in those situations.. it's really amazing. It shows that it's in her head, and unfortunately that makes things a lot more complicated.

And her team.. :help: No good decisions for a whole year.

spiritedenergy
Sep 3rd, 2009, 05:50 PM
you know i had watched their 2007 match a few hours before and i was thinking that Ana's game has improved since 2007... especially movement and BH... of course everyone else also improved so it doesn't say much... but i mean her game is there. but she recognizes that, she said that she plays well in training and that it's difficult to translate it to matches. but then you had Cahill who said "she's breaking down physically"... maybe she has a lot of injuries or just make them up to explain her losses? It's like it everything and the opposite of everything... last year with the thumb injury the same, she would play a great set, then lose and blame the injury...
Or maybe they are talking about injuries just to devert the attention? I don't know, but it doesn't look to me like she's "breaking down physically", she looks fit and healthy, the problem is mental...

I think that even Cahill can't see that, so she should look for a new coach.

spiritedenergy
Sep 3rd, 2009, 05:51 PM
and maybe Kardon was right... he didn't try to change her game or anything, he wanted her to see a psychologist, that's all she needs really... With Kardon she actually had some wins and a final...

gaviotabr
Sep 3rd, 2009, 06:11 PM
you know i had watched their 2007 match a few hours before and i was thinking that Ana's game has improved since 2007... especially movement and BH... of course everyone else also improved so it doesn't say much... but i mean her game is there. but she recognizes that, she said that she plays well in training and that it's difficult to translate it to matches. but then you had Cahill who said "she's breaking down physically"... maybe she has a lot of injuries or just make them up to explain her losses? It's like it everything and the opposite of everything... last year with the thumb injury the same, she would play a great set, then lose and blame the injury...
Or maybe they are talking about injuries just to devert the attention? I don't know, but it doesn't look to me like she's "breaking down physically", she looks fit and healthy, the problem is mental...

I think that even Cahill can't see that, so she should look for a new coach.

It's all mental IMHO. I do think she is getting all those minor injuries.. but it seems related to her mental state to me. I also believe her when she says she is practicing well.. but that is just another proof that it's mental. She can't get the good practices into good matches. Nothing goes her way.. she has been extremely unlucky. She gets totally nervous.. She should never have lost that match against K. Bond. But then again, she should never have lost against Petrova... or Radwanska.. or.. She gets into a winning position and panicks. If it was just her getting outplayed, it would be actually easier to fix.

and maybe Kardon was right... he didn't try to change her game or anything, he wanted her to see a psychologist, that's all she needs really... With Kardon she actually had some wins and a final...

I think Ana is extremely resistent to working with a sports psychologist. Extremely. And that's a mistake.

spiritedenergy
Sep 3rd, 2009, 06:23 PM
i hope she will... i don't think she has these huge issues, she's just crumbling under pressure of her sponsors/manager probably. She should go back to basics, she already did enough for sponsors... i was thinking whether she should change management and maybe join IMG or some big company with experience with tennis players... just a thought...

about the macth versus bONdarenko, she actually started panicking in the first game of the second set... i really don't how is that possible... you could see in her face... and of course the opponent noticed it and things changed... it's like she didn't think she could win, then she's in a winning position and starts panicking like "what do I do now"?

gaviotabr
Sep 3rd, 2009, 06:40 PM
i hope she will... i don't think she has these huge issues, she's just crumbling under pressure of her sponsors/manager probably. She should go back to basics, she already did enough for sponsors... i was thinking whether she should change management and maybe join IMG or some big company with experience with tennis players... just a thought...

about the macth versus bONdarenko, she actually started panicking in the first game of the second set... i really don't how is that possible... you could see in her face... and of course the opponent noticed it and things changed... it's like she didn't think she could win, then she's in a winning position and starts panicking like "what do I do now"?

Yes.. The brazilian commentator likes Ana, he actually said that she was the most naturally talented player on tour right now. And he pointed out in a change over in the second set, when Ana was a break up that she should not have this insecure look in a match she has under control. When she lost the set, he said: "see.. her insecurity gave confidence to her opponent".

spiritedenergy
Sep 3rd, 2009, 06:47 PM
if i were Ana i would play with sunglasses like shvedova, just to hide her emotions and don't feed the opponents... some like Bondarenko, Kleybanova, really feed on fear from the opponent...

luv_sweetAna
Sep 3rd, 2009, 11:16 PM
if i were Ana i would play with sunglasses like shvedova, just to hide her emotions and don't feed the opponents... some like Bondarenko, Kleybanova, really feed on fear from the opponent...

Ana with sunglasses :haha: :haha:

Great idea :worship:

spiritedenergy
Sep 3rd, 2009, 11:46 PM
Ana with sunglasses :haha: :haha:

Great idea :worship:

:p

glad to read ana wrote in her website, and she seems in good spirits too! She basically reply like Isabela when asked the same things...:lol: Isabela are you Ana??? If so, stop sucking!:help::lol:

Anyway yes it's bad she's slumping but it's a game after all, hopefully she'll do good in Asia;)

jelenacg
Sep 3rd, 2009, 11:52 PM

glad to read ana wrote in her website, and she seems in good spirits too! She basically reply like Isabela when asked the same things...:lol: Isabela are you Ana??? If so, stop sucking!:help::lol:

Anyway yes it's bad she's slumping but it's a game after all, hopefully she'll do good in Asia;)

:haha::haha: :worship:
Win or lose I just don`t want her to be miserable on court

gaviotabr
Sep 4th, 2009, 12:01 AM

Jelena can atest that I'm not Ana since she suffered the hell match with me on tuesday. :lol:

I wish I were Ana! :lol: I would stop sucking right now and be calm. Seriously.. I wish I could get Ana some of my calmness.. People say I'm stone cold in stress situations. Actually, my only source of nervousness is Ana.. :sobbing:

I would like Ana to have a chat with the brazilian ESPN commentator. He would tell her she is the most talented player in the game, maybe she could get some of her self belief back.. :lol:

gaviotabr
Sep 4th, 2009, 12:02 AM
:haha::haha: :worship:
Win or lose I just don`t want her to be miserable on court

Me too! I want to see her having fun on court again.

jelenacg
Sep 4th, 2009, 12:13 AM
Jelena can atest that I'm not Ana since she suffered the hell match with me on tuesday. :lol:

I wish I were Ana! :lol: I would stop sucking right now and be calm. Seriously.. I wish I could get Ana some of my calmness.. People say I'm stone cold in stress situations. Actually, my only source of nervousness is Ana.. :sobbing:

I would like Ana to have a chat with the brazilian ESPN commentator. He would tell her she is the most talented player in the game, maybe she could get some of her self belief back.. :lol:

I have no idea what are you talking about :p :lol:
She can also take a little bit of my calmness.My mother says it`s driving her crazy how calm i can be :lol:

gaviotabr
Sep 4th, 2009, 12:32 AM
I have no idea what are you talking about :p :lol:
She can also take a little bit of my calmness.My mother says it`s driving her crazy how calm i can be :lol:

We can unite our calmness and send it to Ana over mail. Would it work? :unsure::lol:

Marilyn Monheaux
Oct 3rd, 2009, 06:52 AM
She withdrew from Beijing:sad:

Season review / October 03, 2009
I guess having to withdraw from Beijing is an appropriate ending to a very disappointing season. This trip to Asia has been a big disappointment and I have struggled with my health pretty much since I arrived. I am sorry to my supporters who were hoping to see me play here in Beijing. It's very disappointing for me as well, to come here, see the amazing facility they have and not have the energy to be able to step onto court. I can only look forward to coming back here next year.

It's especially disappointing because I was hoping to be able to see some improvements before the season ended. I have gone through a lot of training and physical changes over the past few months, which have mostly remained private until now... My body is quite fragile at the moment, because I over-trained during the first part of the year. This was, I think, what caused me to have many small injuries this season.

Instead of being patient and accepting that my best form was almost impossible due to physical limitations, I was always over-thinking things, and I never dealt with it very well. The season was a continuation of going from one disappointment to another. If I had dealt better with these setbacks, I would have had a lot more success.

I also found it very tough to switch off and have a proper break over the past year or so, partly because of these physical problems. Actually, I don't think I can remember the last time I had a proper holiday: I was always doing some kind of fitness or recovery work during my holidays, and that meant that I wasn't able to switch off from tennis. I guess I just want it so badly.

As you may have noticed, I completely changed my serve after Wimbledon. This was because of my shoulder: if I continued serving and training the way I was, I would have almost certainly picked up a serious injury. My team and I are confident that I will be able to go back to my old service motion when I start practising again in November.

On the positive side, I am still No.11 in the world. I have no clue how I am ranked so highly, but to look on the bright side, I can't play any worse than I did this year and I'm still in the top 20!:rolls::hug: Oh Ana:lol:

I've learnt so much this year. It's a bit little bit like a few years ago, when I was ranked around No.14 for almost an entire year, and everyone was asking me, "when are you going to reach the top 10?" Within a year I was there, and within two years I was No.1. Sometimes you have to go through these experiences in order to become a better player.

Despite my disappointments there is nog a single doubt in my mind that I will reach the top again and win Grand Slams.

One other positive to come out of all this is that I realised what a great team I have around me: they never doubted me, they supported me so well and did everything they could to assist me. I am very grateful to them all: my family, coaches and management.

I have appointed a new fitness coach, whom I will tell you more about later. Over the next month or so I can have a great break. I can rest without thinking about any future tournaments, then train and practise hard for the new season.

I have a lot to look forward to. Now is the time to rest, recharge, and come back stronger.

Love
Ana

P.S. I'd like to thank my loyal supporters for their encouragement this year. The journey is never easy!

I really appreciate her honesty and humor in this situation:)

I hope 2010 will bring back the fun for her on court!

Curtos07
Oct 3rd, 2009, 07:12 AM
The nightmare season finally ends. I am a bit relieved. Now comes the crucial off season. 2010 is make or break for Ana.

StrippedToBasics
Oct 3rd, 2009, 11:06 AM
End of the season no more torture seeing Ana struggle with like every tennis-aspect.
Fresh start in 2010 !

Polikarpov
Oct 3rd, 2009, 11:13 AM
Here's to a better, if not a great, 2010! :rocker: http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t316/ispaht/grouphug.gif

hellas719
Oct 3rd, 2009, 03:46 PM
2010:rocker:

Horizon
Oct 3rd, 2009, 08:37 PM
Sorry guys, but I just don't get the feeling that Ana is magically going to make everything better over the off season :sad:

I'm all for bring on 2010 and hope, but realistically, I don't think it's happening.

It would be a fairytale. Something needs to change majorly if we're going to get results again.

The Daviator
Oct 3rd, 2009, 11:13 PM
So it's over, can't believe how bad the season was, not a single top 10 win or title, so many tragic losses :sad:

Just fix the ball toss, that's all I want, I'm not sure things will be better in 2010, but hopefully she'll play more and there'll be at least a few highlights :o

Curtos07
Oct 3rd, 2009, 11:20 PM
Ana only made it to the quarter finals of an event 3 times this season (Brisbane, Dubai and Indian Wells). She only made it beyond the quarters once at Indians Wells via a walk over. :help: That pretty much sums up her whole season. :sobbing:

MsPaula
Oct 4th, 2009, 03:47 AM
:wavey:Sorry guys, but I just don't get the feeling that Ana is magically going to make everything better over the off season :sad:

I'm all for bring on 2010 and hope, but realistically, I don't think it's happening.

It would be a fairytale. Something needs to change majorly if we're going to get results again.

It is sad to see Ana end her season this way but I think it's the right thing to do. I really hope she gets away from tennis completely for awhile, clear her mind and think about if this is what she really wants to do with her life. I hope noone pressures her to get back in the game if she's not ready. She needs support from her family and friends. I also pray she can just stay out of the spotlight completely to see what it's like to be a normal 21/22 year old. I don't, however, think having a high profile boyfriend will help her any at all...Ana stay away from San Francisco. Adam is a big boy, he'll be okay...you need to take care of yourself first and foremost!! Best wishes, Ana for a much happier 2010.

DAVAJ MKirilenko
Oct 4th, 2009, 08:48 AM
So, that was 2009. The numbers don't lie.

Only 14 tournaments played.
2 wins over top 20
11 wins over top 50 and 21 wins in total.

March 22, that was the day she played the final in Indian Wells. Didn't reach a quarter final after that. Next tournament is in 2010, then she's already 284 days without a quarter final.

Her highest possible ranking in the end of the year is 19th.

gaviotabr
Oct 4th, 2009, 12:36 PM
This season was indeed a complete disaster. There is not one positive thing about it. Even her best result, the IW final, was only due to a complete cake walk.

I'm also not very positive about next season, but hope is the last to die. As I've written in another thread, I want Ana to come back with another mentality, a more mature and professional one. Because if she comes back with this mentality, she will keep choking and will get discouraged once she sees her rankings going down, which they probably will. I hope her team adress the real struggles, and they were mostly mental.. the injuries definitely played a part in Ana's disappointing season, but if it were not for the big ammount of chokes, and weak mentality, she could have done a lot more. A LOT more. So she can be all healthy, if she keeps the weak mentality, she won't go anywhere. It will only add frustration. And I don't know.. but I think they are blaming everything on the injuries.. all players have those niggling injuries and play through it. She said she wanted it badly, but it was not what it looked like in her matches. Ana needs to mature.

So we can only wait and hope for a good 2010. But it's going to be a real battle that Ana needs to step up for. Let's see if she has enough of a champion inside her to make it.