PDA

View Full Version : Limit Access to Towels!!

oside
Sep 1st, 2009, 04:28 PM
I can't take it anymore! Am I the only one? What's with the constant toweling off - after every single point? Enough! I say make it tough on players - limit towels altogether, or only let them dry their hands - no face wiping!

I really like the way it's done: "Here, kid. Catch my soaked, sweaty, disgusting towel. Hold onto it until the point's over and then run it over to me again so I can dampen it some more for you."

Is it just me? Anyone agree with me?

Uranium
Sep 1st, 2009, 05:03 PM
:weirdo:

stangtennis
Sep 1st, 2009, 06:12 PM
Agree there's already waaay to many long breaks in tennis.
They should do like badminton. they have to ask the referee permission to use the towel and often he says no.
They should also limit the time allowed to start the serve between points. Players take way to long time between serves. A match could be finished in half the time without all those long breaks between points.
They don't even run that much anyway. They run only half as long in a top Wimbledon men's tennis match than in a top men's badminton match even though a 4-set tennis match last almost 3 times as long. In 1985 they compared this where they measured how much distance was covered in the 1985 men's Wimbledon final vs. the 1985 World Badminton Championships final. Of course they use more power to hit the ball in tennis and the rallies on grass are not as long as on other surfaces but still they the have so long breaks between poins tat the pulse is not that high so they should't have to use a towel between each and every point as it has become a habit. It hasn't always been like this.

The pulse is higher in badminton becuase they have very few short beaks between points and run more, but yet they don't need to use a towel all the time, so it shouldn't be necessary in tennis either. Of course it can be hotter outside in the sun in tennis, but still they do it no matter if the sun is burning or not.
Notice how the ball was only in play 18 minutes in a 3 hour and 18 minutes long Wimbledon final, and this was even before using towels all the time became the norm. That's no less than 3 hours of breaks between balls in a 3 hours and 18 minute match!
In the World Badminton Championships final the ball was in play in 37 minutes in a 1 hour and 16 minutes match. So waaay shorter breaks between points here.
The pause between each point in tennis is often so long that the TV could run a commercial between each point and still not miss any of the play.
Imagine if TV edited the footage and cut out all the pauses between points. Then they could show Becker win the Wimbledon final in 18 minutes wihtout missing any play.
http://www.badminton.bnl.gov/ten-bad.html
Tennis vs. Badminton

Statistics don't lie. The speed and the stamina required for badminton are far greater than for any other racket sport. At the 1985 All England (Tennis) Championships, Boris Becker defeated Kevin Curren 6-3, 6-7, 7-6, 6-4. At the 1985 World Badminton Championships in Calgary, Canada, Han Jian of China defeated Morten Frost of Denmark, 14-18, 15-10, 15-8. The following is a statistical comparison of those matches.

Tennis Badminton
Time: 3 hrs & 18 mins 1 hr & 16 mins
Ball/Shuttle in Play: 18 mins 37 mins
Match Intensity*: 9 percent 48 percent
Rallies: 299 146
Shots: 1,004 1,972
Shots Per Rally: 3.4 13.5
Distance Covered: 2 miles 4 miles
* The actual time the ball/shuttle was in flight, divided by the length of the match.

Note that the badminton players competed for half the time, yet ran twice as far and hit nearly twice as many shots.
This is not meant to be a tennis vs. badminton debate, but just to show that you can play without using a towel between each and ever point. They could look at badminton and apply the same towel rule.

ViennaCalling
Sep 1st, 2009, 06:22 PM
Amen!

oside
Sep 1st, 2009, 10:23 PM
Wow, looks like badminton players should switch to tennis when they pass their peak!

Glad I'm not alone on this. You don't see baseball pitchers toweling off between pitches. How long would a baseball game be if they allowed that?

Seleção82
Sep 1st, 2009, 10:39 PM
I can't take it anymore! Am I the only one? What's with the constant toweling off - after every single point? Enough! I say make it tough on players - limit towels altogether, or only let them dry their hands - no face wiping!

I really like the way it's done: "Here, kid. Catch my soaked, sweaty, disgusting towel. Hold onto it until the point's over and then run it over to me again so I can dampen it some more for you."

Is it just me? Anyone agree with me?

I agree totally. This permanent toweling after every single point really is annoying, especially when watching a match on TV (it may be easier to stand when watching a match live in the stadium).

And, apart from that, when watching ATP matches it is even more annoying, at least for me. It makes the players look like sissies who can not stand a bit sweat in their face. Imagine football-players, baseball-players, or basketball-players toweling their face every 20 or 30 seconds ... how ridiculous that would be.

oside
Sep 1st, 2009, 11:12 PM
Exactly! On TV it seems like there's more toweling than anything. Someone should clock the towel time during a match. I feel bad for the kid who has to hold the thing - gotta be pretty gross, right? Look, they're great athletes and the sport is awesome... I'm just saying I don't get it - just one of those things....

Seleção82
Sep 1st, 2009, 11:32 PM
Exactly! On TV it seems like there's more toweling than anything. Someone should clock the towel time during a match. I feel bad for the kid who has to hold the thing - gotta be pretty gross, right? Look, they're great athletes and the sport is awesome... I'm just saying I don't get it - just one of those things....

Absolutely. I would be disgusted if I would have to hold the thing, even if I admire the player. At least if I would have to hold the towel in my bare hands.

I think that ballboys and -girls should be allowed to wear medical gloves if they want to.

pumokel
Sep 2nd, 2009, 09:14 AM
I also think it's super annoying how most players just turn their back to the ball kid n throw the towel on the ground cuz the kid's gonna have to pick it up anyway. How hard is it to pass/throw it to them? Besides they're called ball kids n not towel kids so i think there should be a rule that if they want to use a towel they have to fetch it themselves every time. i think there's a pretty good chance that somehow many players wouldn't need their towel so desparately anymore, at least not after every single point.

lover_of_myskina
Sep 2nd, 2009, 10:42 AM
I agree that it is really boring that they ask for their towel all the time !! :o
It's true that when it's so hot, it very unpleasant to play with the sweat on the face... :awww:

But some players consider the ball boys as their slave, They asks their towel so politely ! :hug:
And Roddick who sends often the towel straight in the Ball boy face ! :boxing:

I have a solution: the ball boys should not be responsable for towels!
If a player wants his towel, he has to take it himself ! :lol:
I think the player would take his towel one or two times by games, and not after all points...

oside
Sep 2nd, 2009, 09:04 PM
I think you two (pumokel and lover of myskina) make a good point - let the players get their own towels! And selecao82 - the medical gloves idea is great! Do you think the players would get a hint from that? (Nah, probably not).

If the players had to get their own towels, it would speed things up because they probably would no longer feel the need to towel off after every point. And fans wouldn't have to watch the whole subservient act of the towel exchange (and be grossed out by it).

Glad I'm not the only one on this!

FormerlyKnownAs
Sep 2nd, 2009, 10:56 PM
Maybe the umpire should have a chess clock with a load tick, set to 30 secs to the next serve, that would get things moving.

BournemouthBoy
Sep 3rd, 2009, 11:45 PM
Badminton isn't played in the heat and high humidity

gmokb
Sep 4th, 2009, 12:30 AM
The only issue I have about the towels is hygenic, it can`t be good to be holding these sweaty towels.

oside
Sep 4th, 2009, 08:39 PM
I'm guessing that I don't know anyone who would want to do that. But, on the other hand, people catch the sweaty sweat bands the players toss out after matches - that whole thing boggles my mind too!!