PDA

View Full Version : How bad of a year is Ana Ivanovic REALLY having?

DefyingGravity
Aug 28th, 2009, 07:54 PM
I'm one of Ana's biggest fans, so obviously I'm a little biased, and I've hated to see her play below what I know she is capable of, but really how bad of a year has it been? I'm looking at her results and she's lost to quality people 90% of the time:

Brisbane QF - l. to Mauresmo
Aussie Open 3R - l. to Kleybanova
Dubai QF - l. to S. Williams
Indian Wells F - l. to Zvonareva
Miami 3R - l. to Szavay
Rome 3R - l. to A. Radwanska
Roland Garros 4R - l. to Azarenka
Eastbourne 1R - l. to Petrova
Wimbledon 4R - l. to V. Williams
L.A. 3R - l. to Stosur
Cincinnati 3R - l. to Czink
Toronto 2R - l. to Safarova

Honestly, the bolded results are the only ones that are really very very shocking, and because she collapsed after having a lead in most of them or just played horrendously. Those 4R finishes at Roland Garros and Wimbledon are better than people think, and she got to the Indian Wells final as defending champ (sure her draw fell apart too, but the same could be said about Safina's path to the Roland Garros final).

Yes, her confidence is at zero right now, but she's had some decent results that I think are pretty darn good for any pro, no matter how talented they are. It's just frustrating to see how she could have played with her 1st half 2008 form in the kind of draws she's had. She could have made it to Serena in Toronto, sure, but so could a lot of people!

Keep in mind too that she has Zurich and Linz points in the second half of the year too, so she's highly unlikely to stay #11, and to do so, she'd have to get to the QF's at the U.S. Open IMO.

Good point from faboozadoo15: It's not really the losses, it's the lack of wins and the many many times she's pushed to the absolute limit by players who she should only drop a few games to.

faboozadoo15
Aug 28th, 2009, 07:58 PM
It's not really the losses, it's the lack of wins and the many many times she's pushed to the absolute limit by players who she should only drop a few games to.

She'll find her game. I'm not a big fan of hers, but her talent is undeniable. She'll right the ship. Maybe indoors.

DefyingGravity
Aug 28th, 2009, 08:00 PM
That's so true! I hope you don't mind me putting that in the thread starting entry, especially since I made sure you got credit for your idea.

faboozadoo15
Aug 28th, 2009, 08:01 PM
I should also add that people are pessimistic about her because it doesn't seem she has an injury or a fitness related problem. No one really knows why her tennis has dropped off.

ED fan forever
Aug 28th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Given all that Ana achieved in 2007 and the early part of 2008, this is for sure a mediocre season. But there's still 2 months left for her to try and turn things around. She's never really done well in New York for some reason but I hope she can at least win a few matches. A 4th round duel with Jelena would be:lick:

DefyingGravity
Aug 28th, 2009, 08:04 PM
I also feel that there's always one year in a pro's career that isn't up to par with their ability, like Serena and Venus in '04 (obviously coming back from injury, but they were healthy for most of that year still) or maybe Kuznetsova in '05. They all bounce back if they're great champs!

дalex
Aug 28th, 2009, 08:04 PM
It's awful for her standards. Only once went further than QF (only 3 QF or better results). That's pretty bad.

ms. double fault
Aug 28th, 2009, 08:07 PM
considering all her talent, and the success he's already had, it's been a very disappointing season from her!

faboozadoo15
Aug 28th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Had she won IW, the prognosis would be a lot brighter, somehow.

Joana
Aug 28th, 2009, 08:11 PM
She's had 3 top 20 wins this season, counting the one over Medina Garigues in Fed Cup. The other two are over Pennetta in IW, 6-4 in the third, and over Stosur at Wimbledon, which is her best win this year. No top 10 wins.

For her standards, it's a total disaster.

ZODIAC
Aug 28th, 2009, 08:12 PM
its the toss thats derailing her confidence plus she doesnt seem to be as fit as she was when she won RG,very soon Rolex will drop her for Henin when she comes back.

spiritedenergy
Aug 28th, 2009, 08:17 PM
She's had 3 top 20 wins this season, counting the one over Medina Garigues in Fed Cup. The other two are over Pennetta in IW, 6-4 in the third, and over Stosur at Wimbledon, which is her best win this year. No top 10 wins.

For her standards, it's a total disaster.

exactly... she basically lost everytime she met a top 30 player... that's awful not only for her standards but for every top 30... she'll most likely drop to 20-30 at the end of the year.

She's having all sorts of confidence problems, but some may come from injuries that she doesn't talk about, i.e. looks like she's having a recurrent shoulder injury which is probably making her having those awful ball tosses

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Aug 28th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Ana is having a good year in my opinion

11th in the entry ranking, 15th in the race

Roookie
Aug 28th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Why didn't she play a MM tournament?...every player did.

ZODIAC
Aug 28th, 2009, 08:28 PM
she will find it harder to go back to where she was in 08 because there are a lot of players that can beat her like Azarenka,Czink,Kleybanova and many more.She just doesnt have confidence in her game anymore and she seems now to have outside interest.

ED fan forever
Aug 28th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Exactly! She's only entering the biggest tournaments and given her form and the strength of the draws it's no wonder she's been sent packing so early. She should play Linz and defend her title but I don't think it's on her schedule.
Still, no matter how much of a piss poor year Ana is having, she still has that coveted Grand slam title to raise her spirits.

Illusionist
Aug 28th, 2009, 08:30 PM
It's bad, but I hope she'll come back. It's crazy how many bad things have fallen on her back. Let's not forget she's only 22, and I think she has a soul of 17yo. Not easy for her, that's for sure. Everytime she shows some fighting spirit and starts to play good something happens. I'm really scared for her, hope she won't suffer slump aka Vaidisova.

I'm actually more worried about the fact that she has only 2 tournaments in her schedule after US open, and the big ones as Tokyo and Beijing. I think she should at least play at Linz, where she defends title. The way she's playing, it's a question she'll even qualify for year ending tournament in Balli (she needs to have at least one title for the entry).

I've given up all the hopes for this season, let's hope the next will be better.

spiritedenergy
Aug 28th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Why didn't she play a MM tournament?...every player did.

she played Brisbane... she could only play one in the first half of the season.
NOw i think she could play them as much as she wants, but she doesn't like them:rolleyes:

Ksenia.
Aug 28th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Disastrous. Unfortunately.

hankqq
Aug 28th, 2009, 08:57 PM
obviously compared to most players ana is doing great. For Ana's standards though, this has been a terrible season :shrug: I think eventually she'll turn it around though :)

MaBaker
Aug 28th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Pretty good bad.

GoldenGophers
Aug 28th, 2009, 08:58 PM
For her talent and her pretty recent successes it's an absolutely horrible season.

Kworb
Aug 28th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Her ranking is hugely inflated because of the IW final. Not only were the Williams not there, she did not face a decent player until the final, which she lost. She's barely top 20 right now.

C. Drone
Aug 28th, 2009, 11:29 PM
Exactly! She's only entering the biggest tournaments and given her form and the strength of the draws it's no wonder she's been sent packing so early. She should play Linz and defend her title but I don't think it's on her schedule.
Still, no matter how much of a piss poor year Ana is having, she still has that coveted Grand slam title to raise her spirits.

or the sponsors and her money-maker management wants her on the big stage, not wasting time for poor MM tournaments. she is still the 4th biggest deal after the WS and Sharapova, no matter the results.

Kunal
Aug 28th, 2009, 11:31 PM
plain BAD

Andy.
Aug 29th, 2009, 12:08 AM
Its been Bad to OK IMO but if my fav was having her year I would be extreamly dissapointed and would score it much worse.

tennisforadults
Aug 29th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Her two Grand Slam 4th round showings really held her up in both rankings and race.

Otherwise, she's having a really awful year - 0 titles, 1 final, 1 QF.

Hopefully she will bounce back coz I do have a soft spot for her.

gaviotabr
Aug 29th, 2009, 12:37 AM
Why are the GM mods moving every thread to other forums? In no time there will be no GM... :rolleyes:

Answering the thread, it's been an awful year. By far the worst of Ana's career.

Curtos07
Aug 29th, 2009, 12:43 AM
It's an awful year. Nuff said.

But why is this thread here? I come here to get away from the Ana haters. :rolleyes:

DefyingGravity
Aug 29th, 2009, 01:19 AM
It's an awful year. Nuff said.

But why is this thread here? I come here to get away from the Ana haters. :rolleyes:

Hey now...I love Ana, and I'm defending the fact that she's actually having a decent year in terms of professional tennis. So many players would KILL to have two 4R showings at majors!

Curtos07
Aug 29th, 2009, 01:29 AM
Hey now...I love Ana, and I'm defending the fact that she's actually having a decent year in terms of professional tennis. So many players would KILL to have two 4R showings at majors!

I am talking about some other GM posters (ex. Kworb). Sorry if I confused you. I like your posts. :)

DAVAJ MKirilenko
Aug 29th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Dex@ can you close this thread? We don't need GM threads.

Midge.
Aug 29th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Why are the GM mods moving every thread to other forums? In no time there will be no GM... :rolleyes:

You know that actually wouldn't be so bad.

And just for the sake of this thread, even though im just repeating what others have said, her year has been disgusting. Considering her lofty standards.
But even at her worst (i hope) she's still doing better than most. 15th in the race >>> 100's of others.