PDA

View Full Version : Glad that Venus and Serena are in the same half this time around

LightWarrior
Aug 27th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Aside from Wimbledon where they are clearly the best I've realized that it's best for the WS and for tennis in general to be in opposite halves in GS. And even the Wimbledon final left me with a bittersweet outcome. If they both can make it to the semis I'm looking forward to a great match, and the winner will be all pumped up for the title.

tennislover
Aug 27th, 2009, 08:42 PM
agreed

Dodoboy.
Aug 27th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Same, much better :D

Foxy
Aug 27th, 2009, 08:54 PM
The wta was not gonna put them on opposite sides so they can leave with all of the money like they've done the past 4 years at Wimbledon.

the russians and serbs were hyped up by Carillo, Shriver, and MFJ and now they can't deliver.

Maria was put in that top half so a sister would eliminate her no-serving, slow butt during the first week.

With Dinara they don't want Venus or Serena to embarass her and expose her fake ranking anymore.

Jelena and Ana are jokes in themselves.

It's funny how the wta will give maria these easy draws to ensure she makes it to the second round, but it's always a lower ranked player to knock her out the first week.

I'm glad to see Kimmy back, but she won't beat a Williams during this tournament. Kimmy should have been in that top half of the draw instead of Dinara, Maria, Jelena, and Ana. They've been given enough easy draws in grand slams.

I can't wait til Justine comes back because the tournament needs her too.

Hurley
Aug 27th, 2009, 08:58 PM
The wta was not gonna put them on opposite sides so they can leave with all of the money like they've done the past 4 years at Wimbledon.

Wimbledon and the US Open are not WTA tournaments :speakles: They have nothing to do with the draw :speakles:

nfl46
Aug 27th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Darn! I wanted all the money to go to the Williams family in the final! HAHA! ONE BIG CHECK! I guess the committee wasn't going to allow this to happen, hahaha.

HRHoliviasmith
Aug 27th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Normally I don't care but for some reason, I reallly wanted them to be on opposite sides this time around. Anyway as long as Serena wins their possible match-up it's whatever.

In The Zone
Aug 27th, 2009, 09:09 PM
I prefer for them to be on the same half, too. It makes rooting for someone in the final a lot easier.

Foxy
Aug 27th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Wimbledon and the US Open are not WTA tournaments They have nothing to do with the draw

True, but the tournament directors for the US Open do not want the Williams sisters walking away with all of the money.

This top draw was designed to ensure that Maria makes it to the second round because she's ranked low and a Williams would knock her out before the second week.

Venus beat Dinara and Elena so badly that they don't want them to face Venus.

Dinara can't beat Serena on her best day, and they believe Elena would have a better chance because she normally gives Serena trouble.

Jelena is just an over worked horse with a bad serve and no energy to do any damage. And Ana was just over hyped and can't deliver.

Kutzy has a great game but we never know which one is gonna show up.

And I do understand that it may be easier to have the sisters play in the semi's than the finals so there will be a clear distinct one to route for, but the tournament directors don't want Venus and Serena mowing down the draw like they normally do when they are on opposite sides.

TheBoiledEgg
Aug 27th, 2009, 09:25 PM
now i heard it all........... :spit:

V-MAC
Aug 27th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Me too as I prefer Vee's chances of beating Serena in a slam semi rather than a final:bolt:

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Aug 27th, 2009, 09:44 PM
True, but the tournament directors for the US Open do not want the Williams sisters walking away with all of the money.

This top draw was designed to ensure that Maria makes it to the second round because she's ranked low and a Williams would knock her out before the second week.

Dinara can't beat Serena on her best day, and they believe Elena would have a better chance because she normally gives Serena trouble.

Jelena is just an over worked horse with a bad serve and no energy to do any damage. And Ana was just over hyped and can't deliver.

And I do understand that it may be easier to have the sisters play in the semi's than the finals so there will be a clear distinct one to route for, but the tournament directors don't want Venus and Serena mowing down the draw like they normally do when they are on opposite sides.

Nobody car argue against this

Svetlana.
Aug 27th, 2009, 09:58 PM
now i heard it all........... :spit:

you should read her similar nonsense in the other Sharapova/Dementieva thread.... it's entertaining indeed :lol:

SAEKeithSerena
Aug 27th, 2009, 09:59 PM
me too. nothing will motivate Serena more, now. :)

In The Zone
Aug 27th, 2009, 10:00 PM

Wow ... :rolls: :lol: :haha: People are nuts.

Morrissey
Aug 27th, 2009, 10:15 PM
The draws are random the point is if people want a Venus and Serena final Venus should of gotten her ranking up. At least compared to last year Venus moved into the top four so they can meet only in the semis. I doubt Venus will reach the semis but I think Serena WILL reach the semifinals at least of the US OPEN. I pick Serena to win the event.

youizahoe
Aug 27th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Wimbledon and the US Open are not WTA tournaments :speakles: They have nothing to do with the draw :speakles:

Didn't you hear that slams belong to ITF and not to WTA or ATP.

kiwifan
Aug 27th, 2009, 11:25 PM
I always want them on opposite sides...always.

mdterp01
Aug 27th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Oh my lord...more conspiracy theories? I'm a huge WS fan and I just never bought into this stuff. Its random people...50/50.

Ryan
Aug 27th, 2009, 11:32 PM

Troll. :sobbing:

sky20748
Aug 27th, 2009, 11:33 PM
The point is if Venus wants to win then she has to put in the work no matter who side of the draw she is on.She has to fight and fight and fight some more.So all this about her meeting serena ok whatever. Serena is a player on tour that Venus will have to hopefully beat if she wants to win the open. So no matter who Venus faces,she has to go out there with the mindset that she has to win and to do that she has to beat her sister.

gmokb
Aug 28th, 2009, 12:02 AM
I always want them on opposite sides...always.

Me too because if they both make it to the final I have a stress free day and I know the winner is a Williams, pretty much don't care which one.

mdterp01
Aug 28th, 2009, 12:08 AM
gmokb....thats true...it does tend to make it easier if they are on opposite halves, but I'm cool with this draw. I'm pulling for one of them to win the singles and them both to win the doubles.

Galsen
Aug 28th, 2009, 12:09 AM
Wimbledon finals between them ( for me) aren't too good because they think about the double later.
look at AO 2003 the played double the day before their final and in the final it was one of the best match

Keegan
Aug 28th, 2009, 12:12 AM
I enjoy watching pre-final WS matches, especially in slams because that's when they're both on. I get quite bored watching their finals together.

Then again, that's just my personal opinion.

Slammer7
Aug 28th, 2009, 12:28 AM
The scheduling will be interesting this year, I just hope they don't inconvenience the players and make them play on the wrong day (like 2007) if one half of the draw looses it's stars early.

le bon vivant
Aug 28th, 2009, 01:00 AM
I prefer Venus to have as much pressure as possible on her in these matchups, and I see little difference between a Semi and a Final at the US Open :lol:

Slammer7
Aug 28th, 2009, 01:01 AM
I prefer Venus to have as much pressure as possible on her in these matchups, and I see little difference between a Semi and a Final at the US Open :lol:

That's your opinion. :shrug: :p

thegreendestiny
Aug 28th, 2009, 01:17 AM
It doesnt matter, Serena will beat Venus anyway. :shrug:

Slammer7
Aug 28th, 2009, 01:19 AM
It doesnt matter, Serena will beat Venus anyway. :shrug:

Once again that's your opinion. :hatoff:

tennnisfannn
Aug 28th, 2009, 02:02 AM
Once again that's your opinion. :hatoff:
more like a prediction. As a fan I am not dissapointed that they are on the same half. This summer they played more warm up tournys than usual, they were drawn on opposite sides of the draw in a stanford, cincy and toronto and no. of times they met in the final was a dismall 0. :tape: Perhaps this will motivate them to make the semis

Janet
Aug 28th, 2009, 04:57 AM
I disgree with some of you...I prefer the WS to be on the oppisite side of the draw...I really think the USTA is unffair to thier own Americian people they could at least put them on the oppisite side since they are 2&3 I read an article today a quote from Johm Mcroe...that is really a shame they can't meet in the final at thier own town tourament they also quote when they did meet in the final the first time at the US OPEN the rating was the highest for a women final and still remain the highest audience....I know the VS are use to this back lash and they are grounded girls and they play on.. if they do both make it to the semi at least one will be in the final and glad to see they sign-up for the doubles....GO V&S

InsideOut.
Aug 28th, 2009, 08:30 AM
This is ridiculous. One day WS fans want them on different sides of a draw. Now they want them on the same side. Can't choose a side, huh?

volta
Aug 28th, 2009, 08:42 AM
This is ridiculous. One day WS fans want them on different sides of a draw. Now they want them on the same side. Can't choose a side, huh?
Not more ridiculous than you grouping us all together claiming that the whole fanbase is stating that when clearly that's not the case (as the thread shows).

Anyway... I prefer when they are on oposite sides i dont like them to have a go at each other before a final but oh well i just hope that they both go as far as they can

Tanja8
Aug 28th, 2009, 08:57 AM
They will be on opposite sides as soon as they are number 1 and 2. It`s up to them (some of you say that they`re best players on the world when they decide to play their best game - so they can decide to do so);)

RVD
Aug 28th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Not more ridiculous than you grouping us all together claiming that the whole fanbase is stating that when clearly that's not the case (as the thread shows).

Anyway... I prefer when they are on oposite sides i dont like them to have a go at each other before a final but oh well i just hope that they both go as far as they canExcellent point.
Seriously, where do some of those baseless claims come from anyway? :scratch:
As a Williams fan I always want them on opposite sides of the draw.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Aug 28th, 2009, 09:23 AM
This is ridiculous. One day Ana fans want to proclaim her as RIP. Now they want to whine about people saying that. Can't choose a side, huh?

I know right :shrug:

Destiny
Aug 28th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Oh Dear

spencercarlos
Aug 28th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Very hipocritical the thread starter and followers, but nothing less can be expected from Always FAIL999.....

That being said i think its very equal to say the least to have Venus this time on Serena´s half, since the previous 2 slams this year they have been on opossite sides and CLEARLY Venus IS NOT THE SECOND best player in the world.
This puts the year´s 4 grand slams on 2 grand slams for the sisters on the same half and 2 on the opossite sides, that is very balanced considering the posibilities.

:wavey:

Serenita
Aug 28th, 2009, 04:15 PM
I prefer when they are on oposite sides

Uranium
Aug 28th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Excellent point.
Seriously, where do some of those baseless claims come from anyway? :scratch:
As a Williams fan I always want them on opposite sides of the draw.

Same here.

Tanja8
Aug 28th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Ula and Agnieszka are on opposite sides.
But poor Bondarenko sisters! They can meet as soon as 4th round ... (which I don`t think they will)

VishaalMaria
Aug 28th, 2009, 05:23 PM
As long as Venus beats Serena in that semi, it's all good :)

harloo
Aug 28th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Venus and Serena need the #1 and #2 seedings in order to be on opposite sides of the draw. Without them holding the top two spots and with the secret overnight draw pull :tape: I knew they would be on the same side.:lol:

I always like to see them on opposite sides of the draw but at this point it's not that big of a deal. I think it's more of an issue for Venus and her next match more so than Serena. For some reason Venus usually plays like crap after she beats Serena at a slam. On the other hand, if Serena beats Venus then most of the time she'll win the title. At the end of the day you play the draw given and if it's meant to be you'll win anyways.

Monica_Rules
Aug 28th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Have to say i'm quite glad as all williams finals are dullsville. yes theres some amazing points but they are one a game at most. I just hope we get a good final whoever gets to it.

Olórin
Aug 28th, 2009, 05:35 PM

Let me introduce a somewhat fundamental concept to you...TIME...time changes things.
People change their minds...in the course of time. Is this hard?

Anyway, I don't even care any more. Venus and Serena have blown so many chances to play each other in numerous finals this year alone. I just hope they both play well. Only one can win the tournament even if they met in the first round.

tedlesurfeur
Aug 28th, 2009, 05:39 PM
I think it's time to make peace with the draws.
I actually don't care if the sisters are in two different halves or not. I just want high quality tennis throughout the fortnight.

Uranium
Aug 28th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Venus and Serena need the #1 and #2 seedings in order to be on opposite sides of the draw. Without them holding the top two spots and with the secret overnight draw pull :tape: I knew they would be on the same side.:lol:

I always like to see them on opposite sides of the draw but at this point it's not that big of a deal. I think it's more of an issue for Venus and her next match more so than Serena. For some reason Venus usually plays like crap after she beats Serena at a slam. On the other hand, if Serena beats Venus then most of the time she'll win the title. At the end of the day you play the draw given and if it's meant to be you'll win anyways.

I hate when this is said, not only you, but this has been said before and it annoys me. 7/11 times Serena beat Venus were finals, so 4 were not finals, 3 of which were SFs and 1 QF, winning 3 of those, 2009 Miami she lost the final while injured. Venus has beaten Serena in only 3 finals of the 10 matches she won. So of course Venus is going to have a tougher time winning when she has had to play more matches than Serena has to. Venus has won 6 of the tournaments after beating Serena (Dubai, Wimbledon x 2, USO, YEC and Miami). The 4 she didn't win were 1998 AO, Rome, 2005 Miami and USO. And the matches Venus beat her only 5 were SF or Final. Just want to point this out.

LightWarrior
Aug 28th, 2009, 08:18 PM

People are allowed to change. I'm not a blinded WS fan like some who just go "As long as they are in the final, I don't care, a WS will win anyway". Well I do care. I care about watching an exciting final. And I'm sorry I don't remember ever having watched a very entertaining high quality WS final in a GS. Even the AO final was error-prone. But I do remember a few matches between the sisters before the final that were entertaining, especially at the USO. Hence my thread.

Matt01
Aug 29th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Glad about that, too.

The Witch-king
Aug 29th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Ula and Agnieszka are on opposite sides.
But poor Bondarenko sisters! They can meet as soon as 4th round ... (which I don`t think they will)

and i was so looking forward to a all Bondarayray final

bandabou
Aug 29th, 2009, 03:49 PM
It is what it is..you've to beat everybody to win the title, so it's all good.