PDA

View Full Version : Passport to China.

BasicTennis
Sep 16th, 2002, 08:07 AM
While browsing on the Tennis Masters website for the Shanghai tourney, this one has caught my attention:

CULTURAL DOS AND DONíTS

Dos:

1. When presenting and receiving gifts or business card, use both hands.

2.Do attempt to use chopsticks even though you donít know how. It is much appreciated.

3. Be very specific when asking questions. Itís best to ask yes/no questions.

4. Always eat whatís in front of you. Itís considered impolite to reach for food thatís on the other side of the plate.

5. Always address someone you do not know with his/her title (Ms.,Mrs., MrÖ.) and family name.

6. If you are a guest at a lunch/dinner function,wait to be seated.

7. Eat first and ask later. Itís considered impolite not to try the food.

8. Negotiate for everything with street vendors. Start with 5-10%.

9. Be patient and flexible.

10. Expect the unexpected.

Doníts:
1.Do not place a business card in your wallet and then the back pocket of your trousers.

2. Avoid physical contact (touching on shoulders, arms or back) when dealing with people. Chinese do not like to be touched by people they do not know.

3. Try not to drop your chopsticks. Itís considered bad luck.

4. At a banquet function, do not begin your meal or drink until your host does. Your host may want to begin with a toast.

5.Do not finish the last bit of food on the dish. It gives your host the impression that you are still hungry.

6. Do not give watches or clocks as gifts. It represents "running out of time."

7.Do not give pears to couples. It denotes separation.

8.Do not wait in line in most public places. Every man is for himself.

9.Do not stand your chopsticks in the rice bowl. Itís believed to bring bad luck to the family.

10.Do not place chopsticks parallel to your bowl or plate. Place them on the table or chopsticksí stand.

source:
http://www.masters-cup.com/tournamentinfo/travel/passport-to-china.pdf

wongqks
Sep 16th, 2002, 08:47 AM
8. Negotiate for everything with street vendors. Start with 5-10%.

This is the most improtant rule, if someone ask for 100 yan satrt with 10 and go upwards from there

Miranda
Sep 16th, 2002, 08:50 AM
lol but many of them are true :cool:

Williams Rulez
Sep 16th, 2002, 08:56 AM
Yeah... the bargaining part is really amazing... I mean like you can get stuff for about 30-40% of the price they gave you... :o

BasicTennis
Sep 16th, 2002, 10:06 AM
can somebody explain why?:confused:

Doníts:
1.Do not place a business card in your wallet and then the back pocket of your trousers.

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Sep 16th, 2002, 11:21 AM
the ass! ;)

and lmao @ chinese ppl! prudes! :p (j/k;) )

YSL
Sep 16th, 2002, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by BasicTennis
can somebody explain why?:confused:

Doníts:

It gives the impression that you don't really care or are not really impressed. After all, someone has made a grand gesture in giving you their business card, so you should accept it gratefully (with two hands) and make it seem like you are really grateful

And well, they're all true. Seems a bit silly to some Westerners, but likewise, I'm sure that there are some Western customs and traditions that the Chinese think are strange too.

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Sep 16th, 2002, 11:31 AM
ps: not all chinese ppl are like that..... ;)

BasicTennis
Sep 16th, 2002, 12:04 PM
thanks YSL. but would that mean that I'd be holding the business card all throughout the meeting? I might lose it.

YSL
Sep 16th, 2002, 12:19 PM
no no, just accept it with both hands. And put it in a front pocket.. Or make a grand gesture of putting it anywhere except the back pocket!

BasicTennis
Sep 16th, 2002, 12:24 PM
thanks...you just enlightened my stupid mind.:rolleyes:

YSL
Sep 16th, 2002, 12:46 PM
glad I could help! :)