PDA

View Full Version : ESPN2 NOT showing Roger's Cup Final Live?!

50Sense
Aug 22nd, 2009, 04:08 AM
According to the Roger's Cup website, the women's final starts at 1:30 PM ET. ESPN2 isn't scheduled to show the final until 3:00 PM ET. What is the logic surrounded this? Not a minute of live tennis all week??

WowWow
Aug 22nd, 2009, 04:12 AM
ESPN:ras:

WowWow
Aug 22nd, 2009, 04:14 AM
Are they going to show USO delayed as well:rolleyes:

pwayne
Aug 22nd, 2009, 05:10 AM
No surprise as ESPN2 likes the ATP

Slammer7
Aug 22nd, 2009, 05:20 AM
No surprise as ESPN2 likes the ATP

They are showing Major league lacrosse live from 1-3. :help: :tape: The final of the ATP event is on CBS in the states. :shrug:

perseus2006
Aug 22nd, 2009, 07:22 AM
Nobody seems to be showing Pova's semifinal! ESPN@ isn't and I don't see it on TTC schedules.

That's not correct! TTC is showing it:

7:00 PM EDT Rogers Cup : Singles Semifinal #2 (LIVE)

50Sense
Aug 22nd, 2009, 03:22 PM
Nobody seems to be showing Pova's semifinal! ESPN@ isn't and I don't see it on TTC schedules.

That's not correct! TTC is showing it:

7:00 PM EDT Rogers Cup : Singles Semifinal #2 (LIVE)

ESPN2 is showing Dementieva/Serena an hour delayed.

In The Zone
Aug 22nd, 2009, 03:39 PM
The US Open Series has a rule -- no competition among events. The ATP takes priority so the WTA airs after it. Since these two events are in the same time zone, the women's coverage for many of the past years has been shown on tape delay.

You would think that the US Open Series tournaments would organize/collaborate a way to air the semifinals in such a way in order the air them all live. Such as 1pm Men's Semifinal, 4pm Women's Semifinal, 7pm Men's Semifinal, 9pm Women's Semifinal. Something like that. That would require intelligence, though so no wonder.

njnetswill
Aug 22nd, 2009, 05:14 PM
The next time that ESPN crew starts talking about the demise of women's tennis in America they need to blame themselves. :o

nelsondan
Aug 22nd, 2009, 05:34 PM
Would it kill the Rogers cup people to give the girls an extra ninety minutes of rest after making them play 4 matches in 4 days, and delay the start until 3?

iGOAT
Aug 22nd, 2009, 07:09 PM
What I hate especially is how for something like Ree-Lena ESPN isn't covering it until 4EST but instead of just picking up where they will be at 4 (probably the second set) they'll act like it's live and show the commentators arguing over who will win and the players warming up and blah blah blah an hour behind instead of live tennis :o.

faboozadoo15
Aug 22nd, 2009, 08:15 PM
They should just delay the start of the Elena/Serena match, to be honest. It's not that hard, and it creates a better balance in the day and more fairness to all the players.

Brian Stewart
Aug 23rd, 2009, 01:32 PM
ESPN2 is taking a page from NBC, and airing LIE-ve tennis. :(

I would expect their US Open coverage to be mostly live, but I bet there'll be some taped coverage snuck in. Especially if they're carrying Roddick live while one of the other American men, like Querrey, is also playing. Then they'd probably show the other match on tape, but pretend it's live. Patrick McEnroe will have to get to cover his "chickens' (as Drysdale calls them).

I wonder if we'll actually get scores of matches in progress at the Open, or if they'll try to pretend nothing else is going on. Oh to have a dish and the multi-channel feed.

There should be a requirement to post a message that says "taped" or "previously recorded" in the corner whenever they return from commercial. Just not having the word "live" is deceptive. Sort of like the TV networks did with repeats-- they now label the new stuff as "new", and leave reruns unlabelled, implying that they aren't repeats.

And if the networks aren't going to carry matches live, at the very least, they should carry them "as if" live. In other words, start the match normally, and keep all changeovers the normal 90 seconds. None of that padding it out to give away if the match is a straight set win. Or worse, breaking on even games, a la NBC.