PDA

View Full Version : The NFL thread!

disposablehero
Sep 15th, 2002, 09:24 PM
Well, its good to see Corey Dillon back on track after last week. 22 carries for 108 yards, and 8 catches for 67 yards. Now the Bengals can go back to the normal state of affairs, which is losing because of their QB. 2 interceptions and 2 fumbles for Gus Frerotte. And this guy is our 5th supposed upgrade in about 4 years?

disposablehero
Sep 16th, 2002, 04:08 AM
Well, I guess I better start being nice to Americans if I want anyone to respond to this thread. :)

Anyhow, 35 of 49 for 463 yards and 3 touchdowns. Now that's the Drew Bledsoe I remember. Apparently his old team is doing OK without him, though. I'm assuming Buffalo is in love with this guy right about now.

King Satan
Sep 16th, 2002, 05:02 AM
Bledsoe fOR PRESIDENT, he is just awesome. I smell playoffs.

I've been a Bills fan since I was 5 years old, and ever since JIM KELLEY retired we haven't been able to throw the ball. And it's good to see we finally have a high powered offense again.

Brian Stewart
Sep 18th, 2002, 07:57 AM
I was wondering if anyone started an NFL thread. (Haven't been in NT much.)

2 weeks of ruminations:

The cranial self-proctology award goes to Dwayne Rudd. Way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory!

Who says pre-season is totally meaningless? The Rams were 0-fer, and their futility has carried over into the regular season.

Who says pre-season is totally meaningless: II? The Cowboys offensive line was so banged up, the starters weren't even on the field together for a single play. They only managed to get in a couple of days of practice before the opener, and it showed. Even those of most limited NFL tactical knowledge know that offensive systems work better when you actually block the defense.

On the other hand: Spurrier's crew spent the preseason piling up points against reserves and players who are now in other professions. They even managed the feat against Arizona in the opener. But, faced with a top-flight defense against Philly, there was no fun, and very little gun.

Say what? The Broncos headphones and communications were on the fritz last week in Frisco. They were getting bleedover from all kinds of sources, rendering the system worthless. Yet the 49ers communications were working fine. However, NFL rules state that if one side is out, both must be turned off in the interest of fairness. But, it seems the 49ers sidelines communications were routed through the same system as the stadium public address. So, by that unfortunate coincidence (*wink wink*), the 49ers couldn't shut theirs off. The Broncos have filed a complaint with the league.

Choose someone else! The preseason "chosen ones" picked by many to reach the Super Bowl, St. Louis and Pittsburgh, are still looking for a win.

The Harrington Watch has begun.

If they only had another one of him: despite Michael Vick's efforts, Atlanta remains winless.

Rozelle's parity dream: everyone in the NFC East is 1-1.

They don't make flukes like they used to: last year's "fluke" champions are looking much stronger this year.

Good things come to those who wait: after getting passed over in Detroit, and spending many years as a backup around the league, Rodney Peete is a starter once again.

To-may-to, to-mah-to: note to SportsCenter anchors and NFL game broadcasters-- it's Gary Anderson, and Morten Andersen. (Not "Morton Anderson".)

kiwifan
Sep 18th, 2002, 08:19 AM
disposablehero likes AMERICAN football?

I rarely wander down into non-tennis, but since I'm here...

HOW BOUT THEM COWBOYS!!!

It's already been a "heart breaking/awesome to be a fan" season and it's only been two weeks.

The Bengals franchise should be taken away from the owners.

Talk about neglect.

I am a pretty good football fan (will watch any teams play except when the Browns play the Giants - then I hope a bomb hits the stadium).

As a proper Cowboy and Oiler (r.i.p.) fan; I hate the Giants, Browns, Bengals, 49'ers and any team that has a chance at winning more Superbowls than the Cowboys.

I respect/hate the Redskins, Eagles, Rams, Dolphins and Steelers (I nearly know them better than I know the Cowboys personell).

Can't wait until the Boys kick Spurriers ass on Thanksgiving.

Oh well, hope you get more visitors.

I have to change my pre-season SuperBowl picks (Dallas-Colts) because the Rocket got hurt and Quincy Carter is too inconsistent, plus the Colts aren't responding to Dungy the way I thought they would.

Oh heck, just for fun Dallas v. Miami would be funny since Miami is basically using the old Dallas system and now has the talent to make it work - don't like their quarterback compared to Aikman though.

No I don't think Dallas is the best team in the NFC (I'm not totally crazy) I just think that if they can make the playoffs with their new and improved defense and play more like the Tennessee game they have a puncher's chance.

Dallas has always had that special magic...

Peace.

Brian Stewart
Sep 18th, 2002, 10:49 PM
There's a 'Boys fan in my family. Thus, I keep abreast of their new in order to pass it along. Consider: Larry Allen- a less than average lineman? Not in terms of ability (he's one of the best in the league, and ever). It's just that his reported size of 6'3", 335 pounds (suuuure) is below the average of Cowboys linemen (6'4", 343 pounds :eek: )

I'm convinced Mike Brown does not exist. No actual human could be that inept. Obviously, when Paul Brown passed away, the Bengals board of directors had to fabricate a family member to keep their jobs.

The Oakland Raiders were invited to a Pittsburgh restaraunt after the game. They passed. :)

Side note to Jerome Bettis: that "I'll play myself into shape in training camp" approach doesn't work so well when you're older.

disposablehero
Sep 19th, 2002, 04:25 AM
Brian, the "Harrington Watch" is now over.

kiwifan, of course I love American Football, but I will be at the Blue Bomber game Friday. (If you saw my date for the last game{free tickets}, you'd know why I had to go ahead and actually buy tickets this time.) :D

Ted of Teds Tennis
Sep 19th, 2002, 04:51 AM
Mark Tauscher is out for the season. :(

Of course, Joey Heatherton would do about as well with the Lions personnel as Joey Harrington will.

What's the over/under on the percentage of routes Bill Schroeder will run correctly? :D

Brian Stewart
Sep 20th, 2002, 05:56 AM
Another great has left us. First Johnny U, now "Bullet Bob" Hayes. When he won the 100 metres at the '64 Olympics, there wasn't anyone within 2 metres of him at the finish. When the U.S. 4X100 metre relay team handed off to Hayes for the anchor leg, the U.S. team was in 6th place. Hayes ran that final 100 metres in 8.6 seconds (!!) and they won the Gold. The Zone defense was created because no defender could stay with Hayes.

Hayes wasn't the first example of Dallas going "outside the box" to find players. In 1962, they signed a basketball player named Cornell Green, and turned him into an All-Pro defensive back.

disposablehero
Sep 24th, 2002, 07:08 AM
WOO HOO! BENGALS! BENGALS! BENGALS!

GO Jeff Blake Neil O'Donnell Jeff Blake Scott Mitchell Jeff Blake Akili Smith Jeff Blake Akili Smith Jon Kitna Akili Smith Jon Kitna Gus Frerotte Jon Kitna Akili Smith!

disposablehero
Oct 2nd, 2002, 07:42 AM
What a weird week. The Rams are so dead.

Hurley
Oct 2nd, 2002, 07:47 AM
I haven't been able to follow the Giants here in DC (bastards) so my interest has dropped precipitously, but a big :eek: to the Rams!

This weekend when I head back to NY I'll be able to have a good old-fashioned weekend with the crew and catch up on Mike and Tiki and the boys.

disposablehero
Oct 3rd, 2002, 01:10 AM
GO Jeff Blake Neil O'Donnell Jeff Blake Scott Mitchell Jeff Blake Akili Smith Jeff Blake Akili Smith Jon Kitna Akili Smith Jon Kitna Gus Frerotte Jon Kitna Akili Smith Jon Kitna!

Brian Stewart
Oct 3rd, 2002, 08:41 AM
Bengals, Rams, Vikings. Which will finish winless?
The Rams are bound to win sooner or later.
The Vikings' problems are bigger than Moss. They've seen a gradual drain of not only talent, but team leaders.
Maybe the Bengals should just snap the ball directly to Dillon.

The winless Lions over the udefeated Saints? I think hell has officially frozen over.

Did you see "the" play Monday night? The longest play in NFL history. Ray Lewis absolutely levelled that guy on the block. The only one that got close to the runner was Brian Billick. (Cool slo-mo of him running down the sidelines.)

Brian Stewart
Oct 18th, 2002, 07:47 AM
Has everyone stopped watching football for the past 2 weeks? :)

Let's see what's been happening lately...

New England has come down with a thud. Now they are 3-3, and looking less likely to even make the playoffs. You'd have to expect that their talent didn't just vanish. Part of it is obviously the schedule. San Diego, Miami, and Green Bay are a step up from the likes of Pittsburgh, the Jets, and KC.

The Rams and Vikings are into the win column. That leaves just the Bengals. You would think with them picking so high in the draft every year, they'd get more quality players just by pure chance. And what's this I hear about the city of Cincinnati taking action against the Bengals "organization"?

If they'd shorten the games to 55 minutes, Carolina would be in the Super Bowl.

It seems Gruden and Dungy have now settled in to their new jobs.

If someone told you before the season that at the 6-week mark, Pittsburgh and Washington would have the same record, you wouldn't have been very surprised. If someone had told you that record would be 2-3, you might have been. The contrast is that Washington is in last place, while Pittsburgh is tied for first.

Dawn Marie
Oct 18th, 2002, 09:10 AM
I was wondering why no one posted a FOOTBALL thread I must have missed this somehow. LMAO at Disposable Hero about the Bengals!!:D

The best thing that I saw so far this NFL season is that awsome QB Michael Vick. When he kicked our asses I was amazed at his abilty and his accuracy. This kid has game and I like his attitude:)

Still laughing at the BENGALS.. lmao

Did anyone vote on that ESPN poll regarding THE BENGALS?
I voted Mike Brown should fire himself!!:)

I want Dillion to go somehwere else, he is too good to stay in C-town:)

Lmao at the comments that Brian stated concerning Dillion and the snap the ball to him bit. Laughing out loud guys. LOL lol lol

Dawn Marie
Oct 18th, 2002, 09:15 AM
Still laughing my ass off at you disposable you have me laughing out loud with those QB's that you scrathed off. Even funnier when you went and scratched off Akili Smith in the end.. lmao

Wonder who the last QB standing will be!! Like would I sound stupid if I said Kenny Anderson has a great chance? lol

Brian Stewart
Oct 19th, 2002, 12:40 AM
At this rate, Virgil Carter has a shot to reclaim the starting job in Cincy. Where's "The Throwin' Samoan" when you need him?

Mike Brown should fire himself.... from a cannon. (Was that one of the choices?) Who wants to be a General Manager?

What I have to laugh about is when some announcer suggests the Miami Hurricanes would beat the Bengals. As bad as the Bengals are, they would slaughter any college team. The NFL is a much higher level, and much faster.

disposablehero
Oct 19th, 2002, 12:45 AM
Or how about Turk Schonert? God how I loved Turk Schonert.

disposablehero
Oct 21st, 2002, 12:15 AM
Well, today is the first I have seen of Drew Brees. I was impressed instantly.

Martian Martin
Oct 21st, 2002, 12:18 AM
Great comeback win for Denver today, so good to have Shannon Sharpe back in the team :)

Steam
Oct 21st, 2002, 12:47 AM
I'm just happy that my local channels have decided to show Buffalo a good deal this year. Bledsoe is the man. I still can't get over the fact that I went into a store last week and bought a piece of Buffalo Bills clothing. Buffalo Bills? The same team who had such characters as Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas, and Andre Reed? But once they got my boy Drew that all changed.

Oh yeah, I HATE Priest Holmes.

Brian Stewart
Oct 21st, 2002, 07:07 AM
What a weird turnaround. Bledsoe's new team now has a better record than his old one.

We had some good games in this area. (At least, in theory.) Once the Tampa Bay/Philly game ended, we got to see the end of Dallas/Arizona. Not exactly a showcase for kickers. And we got to see the perils of losing your long-snapper in the preseason. (Those blown XP's always seem to come back to haunt a team.) The irony is, had Dallas won, they would have gone to 3-0 vs teams with winning records.

When will Emmitt break the record: next week, or the week after? He's 93 yards away, which is do-able. But he hasn't rushed for that much in any game this year. (Probably could have if he'd gotten more than 3 or 4 carries in a couple of second halves.)

I read an article the other week about fans in Cincy showing their appreciation to players like Takeo Spikes, telling him how they appreciate the effort he gives despite being stuck on a bad team.

Maybe they could re-hire Sam Wyche. He once built a .500 team in Cincinnati. When they had an easier schedule, he'd get them to 10-6. This got them a tougher schedule, and he'd finish 6-10. Then they'd get an easy schedule, and go 10-6 again. Etc. At least they'd be successful every other year. (And boy did he drive Noll nuts with his trick plays.)

disposablehero
Oct 27th, 2002, 09:09 PM
Nice work, Mr Gibson. 55 Seconds left and Tennesse has 3 and 3 at their own 8. Are you aware that an encroachment penalty loses the game in that situation?

Brian Stewart
Oct 28th, 2002, 05:14 PM
Big primo congrats to Emmitt Smith, the NFL's all-time rushing leader! Good to see he got to do it before the home folks. He should pass 17,000 around Thanksgiving, and nab his 12th straight 1000-yard season. Wherever he winds up, I think it will stand for a loooong time. (Had he not retired, Sanders would probably have 20,000 by now.) Not good to see what happened to Dilfer. Ouch!

The Bengals almost spoiled their perfect record. I have the feeling they'll screw up somewhere along the line and win one. As each week goes by, they become a ticking winless bomb, waiting to go off.

Stop the presses! Someone in the AFC North has a winning record!

Jacksonville has joined Dallas on the "lost to the expansion team" honor roll.

MarcusRock
Oct 28th, 2002, 05:18 PM
I echo those Emmit Smith sentiments. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

Brian Stewart
Oct 31st, 2002, 11:04 AM
Interesting. A recent NFL player, Esera Tuaolo, has come out as a homosexual. I wonder what the reactions will be around the league?

disposablehero
Nov 3rd, 2002, 09:07 PM
Looks like the Bengals covered the spread. :) (Now lets just hope they don't get penalized draft picks for a salary cap infraction. Was pretty obvious they dressed up Dan Marino in Kitna's uniform) GO Jeff Blake Neil O'Donnell Jeff Blake Scott Mitchell Jeff Blake Akili Smith Jeff Blake Akili Smith Jon Kitna Akili Smith Jon Kitna Gus Frerotte Jon Kitna Akili Smith Jon Kitna Dan Marino!

Who the hell is Tom Brady?

CHOCO
Nov 3rd, 2002, 09:24 PM
I'm looking for another prediction by the Cincinnati's coach next week. ;)

Now if they could only play another expansion next week, they will win.

Dawn Marie
Nov 3rd, 2002, 09:36 PM
We played great!! Give us our props Choco.. lol we can take some confidence from this win:):)

Great job Bengals!!:)

FEARLess BENGALS rule!!

By the way I read and saw pics of Joe Germaine praticing with the Bengals last week, I am so glad they didn't start his slow sorry ass.

Kitna great job, and nice job receivers all of you played great!!:)

the cat
Nov 4th, 2002, 03:09 AM
Congrats on the Bengals big win, Dawn! :bounce: They're on there way to mediocrity! ;)

Richie77
Nov 4th, 2002, 04:37 AM
The Bengals win, and the Colts lose.

I'd make a longer post, but a pig has just flown into my window, and I must make sure it isn't hurt :p

Scotso
Nov 4th, 2002, 05:12 AM
:bounce: Go Eagles! :bounce:

disposablehero
Nov 4th, 2002, 05:31 AM
I guess IndyRichie isn't a Chiefs fan after all.

disposablehero
Nov 4th, 2002, 05:41 AM
Yes, I'd appreciate very much if this didn't turn into a "He's so hot" thread. But you can have that one freebie.

Richie77
Nov 9th, 2002, 08:59 AM
I can't wait for Sunday's NFL games, and here's my reason: I'll get to see some passing of the football.

The Indiana high school football tournament is taking place, and it is very exciting and fun, as usual. And the team I cover (for a small newspaper outside of Indianapolis) plays wonderful, aggressive football.
The only problem is they don't pass the ball. They lost tonight (therefore they are now out of the tournament), and I have a feeling that if they tried to pass more, they would've had a better chance at winning.
They're not the only ones...many of the high school teams here in Indiana that I've watched don't pass the ball. On more than one occasion, I've seen teams that only passed the ball once, and that pass was incomplete. Three times when I compiled my statistics this season, I put down "Passing Yards - 0." I never thought I'd have to do that even once.
One of the best high school games I watched this season involved a team who scored five touchdowns, all on the arm of their quarterback. He passed for more than 300 yards, and it was a true testament to how dominant a team can be when their quarterback is willing to try to pass.
In tonight's game, the team that lost started passing out of desparation. The end result was their quarterback finishing 1-for-7 on the night.

Running games are becoming more popular among high schools here, which is fine...watching a runner find an opening or break a tackle is a great thing. But I've always associated great passing with a great football team, be it high school, college or NFL. I really hope that high schools don't abandon the passing game, and that this trend of mostly running doesn't work its way up to the NFL.

Okay, I'm done now. I just needed to get that off my chest :)

Richie77
Nov 11th, 2002, 05:52 AM
Ladies and gentlemen...the Colts are back!! :bounce: YES!

Finally, they played like they should be playing! Especially Marvin Harrison.

I didn't get to see the game (we had severe thunderstorms in the area), so I had to make do with a "split-screen" view of the game. I'll read more about it in the newspaper tomorrow...but I'm just glad their winning again! :D

Scotso
Nov 11th, 2002, 05:54 AM
Eagles had a horrible loss today but their still at the top of their division so I'm happy :D

CHOCO
Nov 11th, 2002, 05:55 AM
Colts fans are asking themselves "Edgerrin who?" ;)

Richie77
Nov 11th, 2002, 05:59 AM
CHOCO, I am SO over Edgerrin James ;)
Give me Peyton, Marvin and Mr. James Mungro any game of the week :D

Dawn Marie
Nov 11th, 2002, 07:57 AM
Go OHIO STATE!

I know it ain't the NFL, but they're about the same league as the BUNGLES.

I love BENGALS though.:)

They are getting better though, infact it is all mental!! We need to get some good drafts next year and hire someone to beat the shit out of Mike Brown.

disposablehero
Nov 12th, 2002, 01:58 AM
I wonder if Lattrell Sprewell would make a good Wide Reciever.

Richie77
Nov 12th, 2002, 05:44 AM
LOL
Seriously, interesting question. If he's really tall, then he might be the best player to go to in a 50+ yard pass. But that might also hinder his movement ability, especially if he's over 6'6".

disposablehero
Nov 12th, 2002, 05:55 AM
Well, actually I was just looking for someone to beat up Mike Brown.

disposablehero
Nov 18th, 2002, 01:55 AM
Well, The Bungles did it again.

Vikings over Packers? Would have shocked the hell out of me if Dr Z hadn't predicted it. When my or anyone else's beliefs on football are contradictory to Dr Z's, I change my beliefs.

Is Adam Vinateri the best kicker in NFL history? Hang a helmet between the uprights and he could hit it from 60 yards in a crosswind.

Richie77
Nov 18th, 2002, 04:17 AM
Finally, the Colts are back!! Great win over the Cowboys! :bounce:

And they did it the old-fashioned way: with DEFENSE :)

CHOCO
Nov 18th, 2002, 05:19 AM
How McNabb could play just about the whole game with a broken ankle amazes me. I don't know why the Cardinals didn't bliz the hell out of him. Well...I guess that's why they are the Cardinals.

Rene
Nov 18th, 2002, 05:20 AM
I like the Raiders :)

Brian Stewart
Nov 25th, 2002, 12:49 AM
A narrow escape for the Bengals. They had the lead and momentum, and were staring another win in the face. But then they stepped up, fumbled away the lead, and turned to hands of stone in the clutch.

With the Texans winning moments ago, the Bengals chances of 1st overall pick are getting better.

lemon
Nov 25th, 2002, 12:55 AM
:D I loved the bengals game :D

lemon
Nov 25th, 2002, 12:56 AM
how about the packers game? I missed the last half?!?

Steam
Nov 25th, 2002, 12:57 AM
The Giants suck and my boy Bledsoe was atrocious today. Damn that Chad Pennington proving me wrong.

Ted of Teds Tennis
Nov 25th, 2002, 03:32 AM
Packers lost, 21-7.

The game was notable for Warren Sapp's vicious cheap shot on Chad Clifton, who was half a field away on an INT return. Clifton was carted off the field, hospitalized with a hip injury, and may have nerve damage in his hip.

It used to be that you could hit anybody on an INT return, but after last year's Chicago/Philly playoff game, when one of the Eagles' defenders injured Chicago QB Jim Miller on an INT return which was on the other side of the field, they changed the rule with respect to QBs. They haven't changed it yet for other players, but they really need to do so.

At the end of the game, Packer coach Mike Sherman confronted Sapp, who apparently spouted off a stream of obscenities at Sherman. What a piece of human filth.

Richie77
Nov 26th, 2002, 02:39 AM
I saw that...that was a textbook helmet-to-helmet hit :fiery:

On a happier note:

MIKE VANDERJAGT RULES!!!!! :bounce: :bounce:

Scotso
Nov 26th, 2002, 02:46 AM
Are the Eagles winning? :D

Ted of Teds Tennis
Nov 26th, 2002, 03:00 AM
IndyRichie:

And the NFL are saying Sapp won't get fined for it. Clifton is lying in a Tampa hospital bed unable to travel back to Green Bay, with separated hip ligaments and a buildup of blood and fluid in his hip. :mad:

Not only that, but Sapp isn't being fined for his threats on Mike Sherman either.

Oh well -- if Kyle Turley delivers the same sort of hit on Sapp next Sunday, I'll send Sapp a letter courtesy of the Bucs telling him he deserved it.

Ted of Teds Tennis
Nov 26th, 2002, 03:01 AM
Scotso:

As I post, it's SF 0, Philadelphia 14 courtesy of a Pinkston TD catch and a Mitchell punt return.

Scotso
Nov 26th, 2002, 03:04 AM
Eagles :D

Keep it up!

Richie77
Nov 26th, 2002, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by Ted of Teds Tennis
IndyRichie:

And the NFL are saying Sapp won't get fined for it. Clifton is lying in a Tampa hospital bed unable to travel back to Green Bay, with separated hip ligaments and a buildup of blood and fluid in his hip. :mad:

Not only that, but Sapp isn't being fined for his threats on Mike Sherman either.

Oh well -- if Kyle Turley delivers the same sort of hit on Sapp next Sunday, I'll send Sapp a letter courtesy of the Bucs telling him he deserved it.

Disgusting :fiery:

And Sapp, of course, was getting all of the attention on the Sports Center shows. Thus rewarding more unnecessary violence. :rolleyes: :mad:

brickhousesupporter
Nov 26th, 2002, 03:30 AM
While it was unfortunate what happened to Clifton, It was part of the game. Most of the players that they are interviewing seem to agree with Sapp. This is part of the game. People get injured.

disposablehero
Nov 26th, 2002, 05:31 AM
Is that Warren "I am going to break the single season sack record in 2001 because its an embarrassment that a felon holds it" Sapp?

King Satan
Nov 26th, 2002, 05:34 AM
My Billy's have fallen :sad:

will those guys get up? I hope so :sad:

Scotso
Nov 26th, 2002, 05:38 AM
Eagles won 38-17 :D

disposablehero
Dec 1st, 2002, 08:22 PM
The fucking Bungles drive me nuts. They should be leading 27-7 right now, not 23-21.

snoop
Dec 1st, 2002, 08:24 PM
Pitttsburgh is leading the Jaguars with 22-17

Go Steelers:bounce:

disposablehero
Dec 1st, 2002, 08:27 PM
Peter Warrick is #80? Not only should that number be retired anyhow, but a #4 pick bust like Warrick sure as hell shouldn't be wearing it.

dubro
Dec 1st, 2002, 08:42 PM
I'M FOR DALLAS COWBOYS !!!
...and the cheerleaders !
:lick:

disposablehero
Dec 1st, 2002, 08:51 PM
Thank god they went for it on 4th and 2. They are almost dumb enough to punt in that situation with 3 minutes left. I still have no faith. Bad teams find a way to lose.

snoop
Dec 1st, 2002, 08:52 PM
Steelers won 25-23 in Jacksonville

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

:)

MarcusRock
Dec 1st, 2002, 10:37 PM
Anyone see that Titans-Giants game? Great contest.

disposablehero
Dec 2nd, 2002, 02:16 AM
I should have watched NFL Primetime, just to see what name Chris Berman would come up with for AJ Feeley, although I think I know.

Any guesses?

Richie77
Dec 2nd, 2002, 02:46 AM
Colts win again :bounce:

I'm getting scared, though...every time they have a great regular season, they lose in the first round of the playoffs :rolleyes:

MarcusRock
Dec 2nd, 2002, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by disposablehero
I should have watched NFL Primetime, just to see what name Chris Berman would come up with for AJ Feeley, although I think I know.

Any guesses?
Probably the same thing he does for the kicker from Atlanta. He's also named Feeley. He does some song for that name. Pretty funny.

Brian Stewart
Dec 2nd, 2002, 06:24 AM
An interesting week in the NFL. The Packers are in the playoffs. But the most dangerous QB right now isn't Favre, it's Michael Vick. Is there anyone that would want to face the Falcons in the playoffs?

On the other hand, the Eagles were without McNabb, who was supposed to be their entire offense, and still keep rolling.

And I see the Bengals have rewarded the faith of their fans yet again. Can the #1 pick be used for a GM?

The media lied to us. They told us Daniel Snyder owns Washington's football team. Nope. Emmitt Smith does. Remember how they would claim that Smith was overrated as a runner, and that he got all those yards because he had Aikman, and Irvin, and Moose, and the Great Wall of Texas was blocking for him? Well, those 3 guys are retired, as are all but one of those offensive linemen, and he (Larry Allen) is out for the year. Now Emmitt is on a team where only a fraction of the players have more than a couple of years experience, the quarterback is a rookie who's been playing pro baseball for the last 4 years, the top receiver from the past couple of seasons never got started on this one, and the offensive line has been so injury-ravaged that they literally are bringing in people off the street to block. Linemen that weren't even on their practice squad are starting. When Flozell Adams and Andre Gurode limped off on Thanksgiving day, the 'Boys only had 5 offensive linemen left; just the guys on the field. They even spotted Washington a 10-point lead, and the boys from DC still couldn't get it done. Apparently Spurrier hasn't learned that when you get a lead in the NFL, that's when you lean heavily on your running game. Don't just give Steven Davis a token handful of second-half carries in obvious running downs.

Moving on, I see Denver lost their first day game. Was there an eclipse in San Diego?

Carolina halted their skid. That should all but wrap up the foregone conclusion of a division title for Pittsburgh, which was expected from the day they were placed into the league's weakest division. They are 5-0 against the 3 dwarfs. That means they are 2-4-1 against teams outside their division. Not a good sign.

2003 will be a very interesting year for Kurt Warner. He will be expected to get healthy in the offseason. If he comes out and struggles next year, it could be a sign that his career is on the wane. It can happen at any time from around 30 on. One subpar year doesn't mean much. Two in a row is cause for concern.

Terrell Daves. Kurt Warner. Donovan McNabb. Jerome Bettis. What do they have in common? 2 things. They have (in order): (a) endorsed Chunky Soup, and (b) suffered serious injuries.

King Satan
Dec 2nd, 2002, 08:14 AM
ooooo my bills are back in the hunt for the playoffs! :D

They have a very tough schedule ahead, but I think they can do it *crossing fingers*

Mitch01
Dec 2nd, 2002, 08:30 AM
Seahawks :rolleyes: nice rally though in the 4th quarter

Keep it goin Falcons! :D 8 in a row without a loss now, although the game today against Minnesota was a lot tougher than i would have expected...didn't see the game so I can't say much about it though

I dont' watch a ton of American football, but I have my teams that I follow and watch....I'm a big fan of the CFL but I'm still disappointed with our Canadian Grey Cup, the championship game was not that good this year!

Brian Stewart
Dec 4th, 2002, 08:42 AM
Most of our Super Bowl games aren't that good either. :)

Car Key Boi
Dec 4th, 2002, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Brian Stewart

Terrell Daves. Kurt Warner. Donovan McNabb. Jerome Bettis. What do they have in common? 2 things. They have (in order): (a) endorsed Chunky Soup, and (b) suffered serious injuries.

lmao

Scotso
Dec 4th, 2002, 05:15 PM
Eagles ride awesome defense with offense ailing
Dec. 1, 2002
By Pete Prisco
SportsLine.com Senior Writer

PHILADELPHIA -- Their franchise player was lost two weeks ago, his backup at quarterback lost last Monday. So the Philadelphia Eagles were down to a quarterback that had never started an NFL game before Sunday.

Worry?

Not with that defense.

It doesn't really matter what your offense does when the other team scores only three points. And that's what the Philadelphia defense did to the St. Louis Rams on Sunday in one of the more dominating performances of the season as the Eagles beat the Rams 10-3 to go to 9-3 and stake a claim as the best team in the league.

A chilly Veterans Stadium crowd saw the Philadelphia defense limit the Rams to 250 yards, sack Rams quarterback Kurt Warner eight times and get five takeaways as they manhandled one of the best offenses in the NFL.

Warner, playing behind an offensive line that was like that turnstile the fans walk through to get into the game, took a physical beating. The Philadelphia front made as if he was a piece of meat on a bone and they were a wild pack of dogs.

This bone was picked clean. He's lucky he didn't break any of his real bones. It was that bad.

Thanks to their being able to play man coverage in the secondary with cornerbacks Bobby Taylor, Troy Vincent and Al Harris, the Eagles limited the Rams' ability to make plays down the field in the passing game. That forced Warner to hesitate at times, leading to the eight sacks.

"We have three of the best bump-and-run corners in the league," Eagles safety Brian Dawkins said. "That allows us the ability to run with those guys. When Kurt had to hesitate for a second, that's when the line was able to get him on the ground. It was working well both ways. We'd make him hesitate, and they would make him throw it too fast. That led to the problems for them."

One of the interceptions proved to be the only touchdown of the game as Taylor stepped in front of a badly thrown ball by Warner and returned it 23 yards for a touchdown to give Philly a 7-0 lead. The Eagles, behind first-time starting quarterback A.J. Feeley, could muster only three more points the rest of the way, that coming on a 31-yard field goal by David Akers in the second quarter. But St. Louis managed just the one field goal, a 22-yarder by Jeff Wilkins, and fell to 5-7 and had its playoff hopes all but dashed.

The story heading into the game was all about Feeley. When Donovan McNabb went out two weeks ago with what might be a season-ending ankle injury, the consensus around the league was the Eagles were done.

They said they were a one-man band, and the music would stop.

Nobody imagined this sweet melody would follow. The Eagles have proved that McNabb might be in the lead role, but the music can play on even without his sweet vocals.

First, they won with Koy Detmer starting last Monday at San Francisco, beating a good 49ers team. Then when Detmer went down with a dislocated elbow injury, it was left to Feeley to take over.

Who's next, Norm Snead?

Feeley completed 14 of 30 passes for 181 yards Sunday against the Rams. Those are not great numbers, but there was one number that was especially impressive. Zero, the number of interceptions he threw.

He managed the game well, even if he did fumble away a threat on the Eagles' first drive. Philadelphia was not going to ask Feeley to win the game, just not to mess it up.

With that defense, it was all they needed.

Under defensive coordinator Jim Johnson, the Eagles are one of the more aggressive units in the NFL. They use a variety of blitz packages, sending players from all directions in all down-and-distance situations.

Sunday, they didn't need to be that way.

With the Rams' offensive line down starting guard Tom Nutten to start the game, St. Louis suffered another big hit when Pro Bowl tackle Orlando Pace went down in the first quarter with a hamstring injury. That forced right tackle John St. Clair, who has struggled much of this season, to move to left tackle with untested Andy King, signed off the practice squad this week, in at right tackle.

That, combined with running back Marshall Faulk being about what looked to be 80-percent healed from a high-ankle sprain, led to target practice on Warner. With the line overmatched, and Faulk not really a major threat in the passing game, it allowed man coverage in the secondary without having to blitz -- a defensive coordinator's nirvana.

Warner and the Rams beat those blitzes a bunch in the NFC Championship Game last year, taking advantage of Vincent being hurt that day. Vincent played in that game, but he sure wasn't the same player he was Sunday. Vincent and Taylor clamped down the St. Louis receivers on this day by getting physical with them and not letting them ease into their routes.

"Jim allowed us to play," Vincent said. "It was a simple game plan."

Johnson, 63, is one of the NFL's most-underrated coaches. His style should earn him more acclaim -- who doesn't love aggressive defense? -- but for whatever reason he doesn't get his proper due.

Outside the locker room, that is.

"I think we played awesome," Eagles coach Andy Reid said. "You can go around to a bunch of different people, but I will start with Jim Johnson. What a great job he did with the scheme when you are dealing with so much firepower from the Rams' offense."

Said Johnson: "I have been looking forward to it. Not the players as much, but I have been looking forward to it. I really analyzed both games (from 2001) and looked for ways I thought we could beat them and we came through."

The key was the defensive front. With end N.D. Kalu having his career game, getting four sacks as he worked over King, the Eagles had Warner bouncing in the pocket. They never allowed him to get into sync. Fellow end Hugh Douglas had two sacks and drew a key penalty on St. Clair that wiped out a big St. Louis gain.

As Douglas sat at his locker after the game waiting to talk with the media, he was told that Kalu had four sacks.

"He did?" said Douglas. "Wow."

"That's a lights-out game," said tackle Corey Simon, sitting next to him.

Lights out for Warner.

Kalu signed with the Eagles as a free agent before the 2001 season mainly to fill a pass-rush role. But he has been a major disappointment, getting three sacks last season and had three coming into Sunday's game.

With Kalu's speed coming off the corner, King never had a chance. On two of the sacks, he easily blew by King to knock Warner down. Johnson put him in a position to make the plays, and he made them.

It's that way with this Eagles defense. Johnson is the conductor who knows how to make the right moves. McNabb may have received all the attention when he was playing, much of it deserved, but this is a team that is now being carried by the defense. Losing McNabb hurts, but it was not the death blow that most thought it would be.

The Eagles lead the NFC East by three games over the Giants with four to go, virtually assuring they will be division champs. They still have a shot at home-field advantage in the playoffs, which would make the NFC road to the Super Bowl go through Veterans Stadium.

That will be tough on any offense. This is a defense that seems to feed off the crowd inside the Vet, getting tougher and tougher as the day goes on.

"We have enough talent to overcome losing Donovan," Dawkins said. "We knew that even when Donovan went down, and he's a big part of this team, we weren't about to just fold up this team. We knew we had the talent to keep this thing together."

Keep it together? They've flourished, still playing that wonderful music even if the lead singer has left the band for a while.

They keep this thing going this way and that concert tour will include a date in San Diego in late January.

Scotso
Dec 4th, 2002, 05:16 PM
:bounce: Eagles :bounce:

Scotso
Dec 9th, 2002, 06:03 PM
:D

Eagles 'D' again leads the way to victory

SEATTLE (Dec. 8, 2002) -- A.J. Feeley was good enough at quarterback, and the Philadelphia defense turned in another solid effort.

Duce Staley ran for 100 yards and Feeley, the third-stringer, threw for 190 yards and two touchdowns as the Eagles intercepted Matt Hasselbeck three times to beat the Seattle Seahawks 27-20.

"We played a solid game," Philadelphia linebacker Levon Kirkland said. "A lot of people counted us out when Donovan McNabb went down, but this team has proven we can win without him if we need to."

Feeley's 20-yard touchdown pass to Todd Pinkston early in the third quarter gave Philadelphia a 27-6 lead, and the Eagles (10-3) held on for their fourth straight victory and seventh in the last eight games.

They're 3-0 without McNabb, the starting quarterback who has a broken right ankle.

"It just goes to show we're not a one-man team," Feeley said.

The Seahawks (4-9) trimmed it to 27-20 on Hasselbeck's 11-yard pass to Jerramy Stevens with 45 seconds to play, but the Eagles recovered Seattle's onside kick and ran out the clock.

Seattle outgained Philadelphia 367-316, but that was aided by a late push. Hasselbeck threw for two TDs in the last 17 minutes, and for the second straight week, the Seahawks made things interesting.

"We can't finish a game. Why is that?" Seattle defensive tackle Chad Eaton said. "We've had two games coming down to an onside kick, which means we're getting better every single game. We just don't win."

Philadelphia must wait at least one more week to clinch its second straight NFC East title.

After career-high passing days over the last two weeks, including a 427-yard performance at San Francisco in Week 13, Hasselbeck completed 24 of 45 passes for 223 yards with two TDs against the NFL's No. 3 defense.

"We had opportunities in the red zone to come away with touchdowns," Hasselbeck said. "They were good drives but we came away with field goals. I had some interceptions that didn't help."

Shaun Alexander had 123 yards rushing on 17 carries, the first time in his seven 100-yard rushing days that the Seahawks have lost.

"I thought I would get 100 yards, and I thought we were going to win," Alexander said. "I thought we were going to shock everybody."

Seattle pulled to 27-13 on Hasselbeck's 8-yard TD pass to Koren Robinson with 2:04 remaining in the third quarter. The Seahawks forced a punt, and Alexander broke a 58-yard run on the final play of the third quarter.

That moved the ball to the 23-yard line, but Seattle couldn't score. Coach Mike Holmgren went for it on fourth-and-2 at the 15, and Hasselbeck's throw to Stevens was off the mark.

The play was designed for Darrell Jackson , who couldn't break from double coverage. Stevens wasn't close enough to make a play, and Holmgren made a lengthy protest to the officials afterward, saying later that Stevens was "mauled."

Eagles cornerback Bobby Taylor had two interceptions, diving for one in the second period. That led to a 21-yard TD run by Staley, who broke through the left side and cut back into the end zone for a 14-6 lead.

Feeley had a respectable day, completing 21 of 35 passes for 190 yards with one interception. He made his second straight start after McNabb broke his ankle and second-stringer Koy Detmer dislocated his elbow.

"I feel good about A.J. He stepped right in, and now he's rolling," Staley said.

disposablehero
Dec 10th, 2002, 04:17 AM
Still haven't seen NFL PrimeTime, but I'm sure he's got to be AJ "Touchy" Feeley.

MarcusRock
Dec 15th, 2002, 09:00 PM
Wait until you see how the Jets lost today. Down 20-13 and driving for the game-tying score, Wayne Chrebet catches a pass and races up the middle of the field. He's already got the first down, he's deep in Chicago territory and there's enough time for the Jets to get a few cracks at the end zone. Even I'm wondering why he doesn't have 2 hands on the ball. At the end of this run of his, he tries to hurdle about 2 or 3 Bears, they hit his legs and he fumbles the ball before he even lands. Bears recover. Game over. The Jets had to win all of their remaining games to get a playoff spot and that all might be lost due to this bonehead play.

Scotso
Dec 16th, 2002, 12:45 AM
Eagles are 11-3 :bounce:

Cam'ron Giles
Dec 16th, 2002, 01:00 AM
I am still trying to find out if "Gang Green" won today...Damn, when will the Jets and Giants not disapoint...Some hearbreaking losses this season...:sad:

Cam'ron Giles
Dec 16th, 2002, 01:01 AM
OMG, Scott is a Philly fan...And I am wearing an Eagles Jersey right now...I cant believe we have something in common...:eek:

CHOCO
Dec 16th, 2002, 01:15 AM
Cincinnati is on the clock...with the first pick- quarterback Carson Palmer - 2002 Heisman Trophy winner. Congrats Cincinnati!! :)

disposablehero
Dec 17th, 2002, 05:57 AM
Yes, but assuming they actually take Palmer, you can guarantee that they will let the clock run for at least 14 minutes, first. God I hate that clock. It should be 5 minutes.

disposablehero
Dec 20th, 2002, 02:10 AM
Titans shut out, Eagles get seven to Pro Bowl
Dec. 19, 2002
SportsLine.com wire reports

NEW YORK -- The Tennessee Titans just got new incentive in their quest for an NFL title.

Advertisement

No Pro Bowl players

"I'm quite sure a lot of players on this team deserved it, but that's how it works," quarterback Steve McNair said after the AFC South leaders were ignored in Pro Bowl balloting announced Thursday. "We don't have any control over that. This is how it works. But it's a team thing now for us. To solve all this, we just got to go to the Super Bowl and win it."

The Philadelphia Eagles, leading the race for the NFC's top playoff seeding, had the most Pro Bowl players with seven, including three-fourths of their secondary. San Francisco and Miami, two other division leaders, each had six.

But the Titans, leading the AFC South at 9-5, were ignored in voting conducted in thirds: one-third by players, one-third by coaches, and one-third by fans on NFL.com.

"We feel we had players who had seasons worthy enough to be selected over there, we just go on," coach Jeff Fisher said. "We're disappointed for Steve's sake. But hey, his play speaks for itself, and we have a lot of unfinished business."

In contrast to Tennessee, the expansion Houston Texans had two players chosen, and the 1-13 Cincinnati Bengals had one, fullback Lorenzo Neal, who used to play for the Titans. The other teams without players chosen were .500 or worse: Cleveland, Detroit and Arizona.

"That we're 11-3 helps," said Philadelphia cornerback Troy Vincent, who was selected along with cornerback Bobby Taylor and safety Brian Dawkins. "The team success gives you momentum, and defensively we've been playing well."

The selections cover two generations.

Oakland wide receiver Jerry Rice was chosen for the 13th time at age 40, the first time he's made it since 1999, when he played with the 49ers. Raiders safety Rod Woodson, 37, was chosen for the 11th time.

At the other end of the spectrum were 22-year-old Atlanta quarterback Michael Vick and 22-year-old Jeremy Shockey, the New York Giants' tight end and the only rookie chosen.

As usual, reputation played a major part in selection.

The St. Louis Rams, 6-8 after being preseason favorite in the NFC, landed offensive tackle Orlando Pace and running back Marshall Faulk on the squad. Pace will miss his sixth game to injury this week and Faulk will miss his sixth straight start.

Yet Faulk was chosen ahead of the Giants' Tiki Barber, who is third in the NFC in rushing and leads in combined rushing and passing yardage. Barber was the first alternate at running back.

"It just shows when I am healthy and when I was out there, people watch and they take notice," Faulk said.

Among those overlooked were McNair, who has carried the team to eight wins in its last nine games, and New England QB Tom Brady, the Super Bowl MVP. McNair was the AFC's first alternate at quarterback.

But Drew Bledsoe, who was traded to Buffalo after being replaced by Brady, did make the team. The other two AFC quarterbacks were Rich Gannon of Oakland and Peyton Manning of Indianapolis.

Manning's favorite target, record-setting Marvin Harrison, also made the AFC team. Harrison already has set a single-season NFL mark with 127 catches.

"It's obviously something I'm very proud of," said Bledsoe, who has led the Bills to a 7-7 record after they won just three games last season. "I'd like to have a few more wins, because that would certainly sweeten this. You want to be playing for that championship at the end. But it's a great honor and I'm proud to be a part of this team."

One of the Eagles not chosen was quarterback Donovan McNabb, who broke his right ankle Nov. 17 and probably will not return until the playoffs. The three NFC quarterbacks were Vick, Green Bay's Brett Favre and San Francisco's Jeff Garcia.

Favre's selection was his seventh.

The two Texans chosen were both veterans, defensive tackle Gary Walker and cornerback Aaron Glenn. Both were among the high-salaried players chosen in the expansion draft.

Miami's Ricky Williams, traded by the Saints to make room in the backfield for Deuce McAllister, made the AFC team. McAllister made the NFC team.

The game is Feb. 2 in Honolulu.

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2002, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

PRO BOWL? WTF? They've only played 7/8 of the regular season, and they have to decide who plays the Pro Bowl 2 months from now, today? Derrick Thomas had 7 sacks in one game. What if some dude who almost made it has 8 or 9 over the course of the last two games? What if some near miss OG spends an entire game pancaking Warren Sapp? Play the damn season.

MarcusRock
Dec 22nd, 2002, 09:40 PM
Bengals win! Bengals win! 20-13 over New Orleans. Congrats to their fans. Maybe all 10 of you should get together and have a party. Time to strike one off your Christmas lists. Santa delivered.

disposablehero
Dec 27th, 2002, 04:05 AM
Perfect. I'll have to hook with Dawn and, uh, well, I guess we can find out who the other 8 are while we are arranging the party.

MarcusRock
Jan 19th, 2003, 11:29 PM
I just wanted to bump this thread to say: EAGLES LOSE!!!

Steam
Jan 19th, 2003, 11:31 PM
They just got beaten hard. I so don't like Sapp, Keyshawn, and Lynch. But Gruden is ok in my book.

MarcusRock
Jan 19th, 2003, 11:33 PM
Sapp is cool, Keyshawn is an idiot. Lynch and Gruden? Eh.

snoop
Jan 19th, 2003, 11:42 PM
Yep, Gruden is ok. Would be cool if he faces the Raiders in the bowl

Steam
Jan 19th, 2003, 11:47 PM
Sapp is a jerk who talks to much, just like Keyshawn. Lynch is dirty.

The only problems with Gruden is that he has coached two of my least favorite teams and he wears a visor.

Halardfan
Jan 20th, 2003, 03:37 PM
Who to root for in the Superbowl will be a diffiicult call for me...Ive always had a soft spot for the Raiders...I liked them since they beat the Redskins in the Superbowl, years back...

But I guess Tampa will be the underdogs, which is where my instincts often lie...plus I liked the uniforms Tampa wore back in the day, the nifty Tangerine ones. :)

My heart hasn't been in it though since my Dolphins managed to beat themselves...again. How they lost that game with the Patriots...bizarre.

Had we scraped into the Play-offs we might just have gone a long way...