PDA

View Full Version : Prize money for juniors?

Leo_DFP
Aug 18th, 2009, 03:36 AM
Does anyone know what the prize money is like for juniors? Especially at the Slams?

TheBoiledEgg
Aug 18th, 2009, 03:40 AM
there isnt any

Ciarán
Aug 18th, 2009, 03:44 AM
there isnt any

Really? :speakles::eek:

mckyle.
Aug 18th, 2009, 03:47 AM
i'm pretty sure that's why it's juniors...

Ciarán
Aug 18th, 2009, 03:51 AM
Well how are the less fortunate girls supposed to pay travelling, accommodation & other expenses? :unsure:

Bingain
Aug 18th, 2009, 03:53 AM
1) Junior events don't pay prize monies.
2) They don't care if you're pro or amateur.
3) Junior players can play in non-paying Junior events or in any money-making events (if they qualify)
4) Once engaged in money-making (prize money or $$$ sponsorships, nobody cares about secret moonlighting) activities, the player loses amateur status. Won't be eligible to play in most amateur competitions including NCAA (thus can't get sports scholarship or have to wait for a few years.)

Ciarán: That's why supports from national tennis federations are quite important.

TheBoiledEgg
Aug 18th, 2009, 04:05 AM
players from less well off countries (not only monetary) can get into the ITF Touring Team (where ITF pays for all sorts of stuff from entries/accomodation etc)

http://www.itftennis.com/development/juniordev/competition/touring.asp

Ciarán
Aug 18th, 2009, 04:11 AM
Ah OK. Thanx guys :wavey::hug:

Leo_DFP
Aug 18th, 2009, 04:15 AM
I thought that might be the case. Yes, very difficult for juniors to be able to compete - travel the world and all the equipment and coaching expenses :eek: :eek: That's a lot of money going out. Parents of the children must really be banking on them becoming pro, getting sponsorships, or at least going to an American college for a sports scholarship.

orka_irl
Aug 18th, 2009, 09:09 PM
I think many of the junior events offer hospitality - meals and accommodation - at least for main draw players - which would help a bit.

Tennis-Chick
Aug 18th, 2009, 09:35 PM
I think from G3 up they offer hospitality until the MD player is knocked out.

I knew the ITF had a touring team for players from less well off countries, but I didn't realise how many tours they did throughout the year! :eek: It should help many players break through.

Bingain
Aug 18th, 2009, 10:07 PM
I think from G3 up they offer hospitality until the MD player is knocked out.

I knew the ITF had a touring team for players from less well off countries, but I didn't realise how many tours they did throughout the year! :eek: It should help many players break through.

AFAIK, most tournaments organize hospitality families to provide room & board for the players. Their coaches & parents would probably be out of luck. High level tournaments like junior slams definitely provide accommodation or reimburse the costs.

IIRC Wimbledon sends the players to a university dorm. FO may be using a short-term apt hostel. Junior USO & AO secure special rates at Grand Hyatt & Bayview on the Park respectively and provide accommodation allowance for the costs up until their knock-outs.

I remember reading Jade Curtis' blog a few years back, when she first played at junior USO, writing something like: Whoa, five star hotel off Fifth Ave, fully paid for!

I didn't know about the ITF Touring Team. Thanks TheBoiledEgg for the info.