PDA

View Full Version : Who is more Russian - Kournikova or Smashnova?

igost
Sep 15th, 2002, 01:22 PM
It's funny how Kournikova is being considered a Russian player and Smashnova - not.
Kournikova left Russia at 11 years old, Smashnova - at 14.
Smashnova was a top Russian (Soviet) junior for a few years before leaving, Kournikova never participated in anything Russian until she turned pro and got into Moscow tournament.

I've never seen anybody from Russia supporting Smashnova, yet plenty supports Tatiana Golovin (who represents France, btw). Double standard, huh?

ys
Sep 15th, 2002, 03:45 PM
Are you sure you know much about the subject? Kournikova played for Russia in Juniors team competition and she helped them to win some ( I remember they won something with Zhenya Koulikovskaya around 1995 ).

Kournikova plays for Russia, Smashnova plays for Israel.

Playing for France was not Tatyana's decision, hope you at least understand that..

auntie janie
Sep 15th, 2002, 03:51 PM
Can you explain Tatiana's French Connection to me, ys? I admit I was wondering.

TatiAnnahølic
Sep 15th, 2002, 03:53 PM
Smashnova was born in Russia? :eek:

igost
Sep 15th, 2002, 04:39 PM
to ys:

whose decision was for Tatiana to play for France?
do you think Anna at 14 years old decided herself to move to Israel?

when was the last time Kournikova played for Russia? 1997 Fed Cup?

Kournikova did win junior Europian championships with Koulikovskaya in 1995.

On the other note - there is nothing wrong with Kournikova's loss in Shanghai. Remember, Smashnova won her first title at 23 (and she had more success in juniors than Kournikova). After US Open flop not many expected Anna K to make it to the finals, but she did it and with style too. She is obviously on the right track and, with Solomon's guidance, she'll probably get her title even before the year's end.

TatiAnnahølic
Sep 15th, 2002, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by igost

when was the last time Kournikova played for Russia? 1997 Fed Cup?

year 2000 :rolleyes:

tenn_ace
Sep 15th, 2002, 05:05 PM
there is noting about double standard - we support whoever we want whether they were born, live or play for Russia or not...

also, considering that she left Soviet Union 12 years ago, I don't remember her since I wasn't really watching tennis. So I just don't really care...

TheBoiledEgg
Sep 15th, 2002, 06:09 PM
Anna Smashnova was born in Minsk. Now she plays for Israel

Anna K also played for Russia Under U18's and won the Connelly Cup with Koulikovskaya

TheBoiledEgg
Sep 15th, 2002, 06:10 PM
Tatiana Golovin was born in Moscow
her parents moved to France along time ago.

She would have been Golovina but the French law states that the kids must have its Fathers surname

Cassius
Sep 15th, 2002, 07:59 PM
French law states that the kids must have its Fathers surname
The French and their silly laws:rolleyes:;).

auntie janie
Sep 15th, 2002, 08:03 PM
But I thought Golovin was training in the USA?

TheBoiledEgg
Sep 15th, 2002, 08:14 PM
but she's a French citizen

auntie janie
Sep 15th, 2002, 08:22 PM
Ah!!! Je comprends maintenant!

CellJr300
Sep 15th, 2002, 11:53 PM
The whole country debate is an interesting situation. I personally have never understood some of the countries that people play for. I just find it interesting all the different countries that players are from, and who they eventually choose to play for.

King Aaron
Sep 16th, 2002, 11:23 AM
Yes. Anna S is born in Minsk, Belarus. She won Roland Garros juniors before.